Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Bond Thread: 12 - Octopussy (1983)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: The Bond Thread: 12 - Octopussy (1983) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Bond Thread: 12 - Octopussy (1983) - 15/11/2008 3:32:55 AM   
Deviation

I found this one too humourus for it's own good. It's also very boring and embarassing to watch, like most of Moore's films. There is one moment that perfectly describes Moore's Bond though, a clown*.

It's like OHMSS never existed(I consider it the pinnacle of the Bond films, in case you haven't noticed it).

*sorry, that was alcohol in my brain(hence the use of the word boring and not dull). There are a few moments of greatness in Moore, but there is something so smug in him I cannot stand.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 15/11/2008 1:11:45 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Brett Sinclair)
Post #: 121
The Bond Thread: 14 - A View To A Kill (1985) - 16/11/2008 10:06:19 AM   
homersimpson_esq

A short backstory before the next two films. As some of you may be aware, I went to a boarding school as a chorister and at the end of each term the choristers would stay for a little longer for either the Christmas services, the Easter services, or a Cathedral Festival respectively. This resulted in a week or so where we had no school, but were still in the school grounds. The teacher who put a film on every saturday afternoon (which is possibly where my love of films grew) would leave us a film to watch. Just the one. What this meant was that we watched the film every single day. A View To A Kill was one such film one Easter, and The Living Daylights was another one at Christmas. Consequently I have a great love for these two films which supercedes any accusation of crappiness.

Another snow-bound skiing section opens this film as Bond retrieves a microchip which will be pertinent to the rest of the film. It's nice to see the pre-credits sequence inform the main story. The floating ice-block is a typically Bond moment - ridiculous, yet acceptably so. The Union Flag door is the icing on the cake - the rising bed section is the cherry.

From there we lead into Bond investigating Max Zorin (Christopher Walken.... Christopher Walken!!) who may or may not have something to do with the microchip but certainly has a particularly frightening girlfriend/trainer in Mayday (Grace Jones). I don't know whether it's the make up or the hair or just the face but she scares me. Bond truly was sacrificing himself for his country in bedding her. The horse-racing set-up with Bond undercover (so to speak) is not dissimilar to Goldfinger's golf course theme - villains being cultured before resorting to mass murder. Indeed, Zorin bears remarkable similarities to Auric Goldfinger as they both want to destroy something to increase the worth of their own stock, and they both get in on the killing themselves, even so far as killing their own men to save themselves.

When the action moves to San Francisco's Silicon Valley, the soon-to-be flooded area, we move to territory that has most significance for me. A few oft-quoted lines (like the cab driver in Live and Let Diew) drew smiles from me. First of all is the name of the character Jenny Flex. As far as inappropriate humour goes, this is pretty high: I mentioned this was left for us at Easter and this is significant. In the Good Friday ultra-solemn service there are several moments where the order of service invites the congregation to kneel. Only, they don't use the word 'kneel' it says 'genuflect'. The aural similarity between 'genuflect' and 'Jenny Flex' was too obvious which meant that, during this most solemn of occasions, half the choir were grinning their heads off whenever we were asked to genuflect. Watch out, as Bond and Stacey run off through the tunnels and Mayday asks a passing cart of henchmen if they saw anyone. The reply is possibly the worst delivered line by an extra - 'No....... I saw no one'. Classic. Also sticking in my head is the moment that Zorin is in the Zeppelin when the rope is wrapped around the Golden Gate Bridge and he says 'More.... more power' in that classic Walken phrasing.

It's a very guilty pleasure but I make no apologies for it. Hell, I don't even feel guilty for it. As the end to the Moore Bond films it does show that Moore is ready to retire, but it's still great fun, even if my enjoyment of it is unfairly advantaged by my memories associated with it.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 122
RE: The Bond Thread: 14 - A View To A Kill (1985) - 16/11/2008 10:11:38 AM   
jamesbondguy

Am I the only person who finds the View to A Kill poster amusing?

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 123
RE: The Bond Thread: 14 - A View To A Kill (1985) - 16/11/2008 10:25:56 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

Absolutely not. It's tres hilarious. They would totally be falling off the top of the Golden Gate Bridge, standing at that angle.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 124
RE: The Bond Thread: 14 - A View To A Kill (1985) - 16/11/2008 10:34:54 AM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

Absolutely not. It's tres hilarious. They would totally be falling off the top of the Golden Gate Bridge, standing at that angle.

I also like the way Bond is pointing his gun outwards at some invisible target, while his enemy is peeking out of a zepplin which is slowly flying past. It seems that Bond hasn't noticed the huge, dangerous aircraft, the one he's vowed to stop, is a few feet away from his face.

Plus, look where the woman's foot is. Surely she's about to slide off?

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 125
RE: The Bond Thread: 14 - A View To A Kill (1985) - 16/11/2008 1:30:12 PM   
Brett Sinclair

Even though A View To A Kill probably was one film too much for Moore, I have always liked it. A great story, combined with a great villain - brilliantly played by Christopher Walken, nice locations (like Paris for instance, that jump from the Eiffel Tower is a classic) and a cool theme song. It's typical 80's and it absolutely rocks! It's not the best Bond film, but certainly not as bad as many may think. Give it a chance!

< Message edited by Brett Sinclair -- 16/11/2008 4:26:05 PM >

Can be found as Sugarman Treacle

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 126
RE: The Bond Thread: 14 - A View To A Kill (1985) - 16/11/2008 2:39:52 PM   
Deviation

Never seen this one...never will......

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Brett Sinclair)
Post #: 127
RE: The Bond Thread: 14 - A View To A Kill (1985) - 16/11/2008 2:44:20 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Seems a fairly unfair dismissal of it. At least watch it so you have a valid opinion on it! I mean, it has Christopher Walken in it! If he ever fought William Shatner the off-kilter-speech-o-meter would be off the scale!

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 128
RE: The Bond Thread: 14 - A View To A Kill (1985) - 16/11/2008 2:55:21 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Seems a fairly unfair dismissal of it. At least watch it so you have a valid opinion on it! I mean, it has Christopher Walken in it! If he ever fought William Shatner the off-kilter-speech-o-meter would be off the scale!

But it has Roger Moore's Bond.....................but it also has Christopher Walken.........but I cannot stand more Moore..............Ok, I'll give it a chance one day.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 129
RE: The Bond Thread: 14 - A View To A Kill (1985) - 16/11/2008 3:21:15 PM   
Rhubarb

I thought I was gonna be really different defending A View To A Kill in a few weeks/months/years.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 130
The Bond Thread: 15 - The Living Daylights (1987) - 16/11/2008 3:23:43 PM   
homersimpson_esq

With a new Bond comes a new style. Timothy Dalton does away with much of Moore's affectations and smugtastic quips and brings Bond back to a sort of new starting point. When asked who he is, he doesn't reply 'Bond..............James Bond', but a more brusque, efficient 'Bond, James Bond'. No more is it a loaded phrase but a simple statement of fact.

The plot sees a few of the 00 agents executed during a training exercise, with the message 'smiert spionem' - 'death to spies' left on their corpse. Meanwhile a Russian military man wants to defect, requesting Bond to protect him from a suspected assassin. When Bond sees the sniper is an attractive lady his 'instincts' kick in and he merely disarms her, not killing her. Good job, as it turns out she was a decoy and the defection was a double cross. The actual aim is something to do with diamonds, opium, and weaponry but the details aren't important. What is important is that Bond gets some kick ass action courtesy of this more youthful incarnation.

It's clear with hindsight to see that after the self-satisfaction of the Moore era the producers were attempting to bring Bond back to some semblance of credibility. Sound familiar? It's a shame that Dalton only had two attempts at the role, as I feel his two films are two of the best - this one for sentimental reasons (I spent Christmas the year this was left us writing 'smiert spionem' on Christmas party balloons, and popping them a la Bond upon reading it), the other for quality reasons. Which is not to say that The Living Daylights is poor - it isn't. It just suffers when compared to Licence To Kill - the only film with which it can be fairly compared, it being the only other Dalton film.

It's fun to spot the actors we see in TV now (Zubi from Holby City is an Afghan terrorist - a role-type he would reprise 7 years later in True Lies, Jack's Dad from Lost is Felix Leiter!) but the film works as a great action film with a dose of political relevance as well. It's possibly where the 'modern Bonds' can be separated from the 'older Bonds'. Even as far as A View To A Kill, the Bond films have a certain air about them that makes the instantly recognisable. With The Living Daylights there are the definite Bond traits (gadgets - wolf whistle-activated explosives, cars - that DB7!) but they have a different air about them after this. Very much modern films, but Bond nonetheless. As if to mark this, we get the first non-title-sequence nipple! That's progress.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 131
The Bond Thread: 15 - The Living Daylights (1987) - 16/11/2008 3:26:16 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I thought I was gonna be really different defending A View To A Kill in a few weeks/months/years.

Sorry!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 132
RE: The Bond Thread: 14 - A View To A Kill (1985) - 16/11/2008 4:06:48 PM   
Brett Sinclair

quote:

I mean, it has Christopher Walken in it!

Exactly, just because of that you should take a look at it. He's perfect!

Can be found as Sugarman Treacle

Post #: 133
RE: The Bond Thread: 15 - The Living Daylights (1987) - 16/11/2008 4:12:10 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

Sorry!

It is reassuring to know I'm not alone though.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 134
RE: The Bond Thread: 15 - The Living Daylights (1987) - 16/11/2008 4:23:35 PM   
TRM

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sorry!

Hmmm... Well i was actually considering the same thing  Maybe it shouldn't be considered a guilty pleasure after all then.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 135
RE: The Bond Thread: 15 - The Living Daylights (1987) - 16/11/2008 4:41:06 PM   
Chris66

I think A View To A Kill is underrated and it is very good. The Living Daylights is very good as well and Dalton was a pretty good Bond even though he was only in two films. 

"We just wanted to say we're a big fan of your work. When it comes to killing Nazis... I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro... '"

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 136
RE: The Bond Thread: 15 - The Living Daylights (1987) - 16/11/2008 4:45:42 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sorry!

Hmmm... Well i was actually considering the same thing  Maybe it shouldn't be considered a guilty pleasure after all then.

Really? I didn't realise you liked it as well. Ho-hum.

Check your PM's TRM.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 137
The Bond Thread: 16 - Licence To Kill (1989) - 17/11/2008 7:57:07 PM   
homersimpson_esq

After establishing him as Bond in The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill takes Bond to a new level. He has threatened to resign before (in, as it happens, one of my other favourite Bonds, On Her Majesty's Secret Service) but here he goes through with his threat, and has his licence to kill revoked. (The original title was Licence Revoked, a change that may or may not be due to a certain mass audience's inability to know what 'revoked' meant.) The reason? Felix Leiter (David Hedison, the only person to have returned to the role other than Jeffrey Wright, having also played him in Live and Let Die) and his newly wed wife are brutally attacked by a group of drug smugglers he was tracking. His wife is left for dead while Felix just has his legs eaten off by a shark... Bond goes off-mission to find the men responsible after realising the local police would do nothing.

This is as astonishing a start as you can get, with real suspense as Leiter is captured and tortured. It gives resonance to Bond's determination to find his friend's attackers, and his friend's wife's killers. He hooks up with an informant friend of Leiter's, Pam Bouvier (Carey Lowell) and goes on the trail, meeting up with Sanchez's (Robert Davi) mistress Lupe (Talisa Soto) and Q, dispatched by Moneypenny to help Bond, unofficially.

Licence To Kill trades quips for ballsy action and exciting action. The quips stop when Bond reads the note attached to Leiter, 'he disagreed with something that ate him'. From then on it's all or nothing for Bond, although he does find time to bed both beauties. In a way Licence to Kill can really be seen as an attempt, 20 years ago, to take the Bond series where they are taking it now. Two films in, and clearly the public disagreed with this attempt, leaving a 6 year gap - the longest without a Bond film since the series started in 1962. When it eventually returned it was like they took the best bits of the other Bonds - Moore's quips, Connery's culture, Dalton's no-nonsense - and rolled them into one. Of course, the series would once more return to flights of fancy unbecoming to modern audiences.

Something else occurred to me while watching this, of the fundamental difference in the way that the different Bonds play the character. James Bond must have charm for the ladies, culture for the way of life, and a steeliness for the killing. Connery played the character as if he was naturally cultured, acquired the steeliness, and affected the charm. Lazenby's Bond was naturally charming, acquired the culture and the steeliness, and affected nothing. Moore's Bond was naturally charming, and affected the culture and steeliness. Dalton's was naturally steely and charming, and acquired the culture. I'll update this with the last two when I get to them. A Bond actor needs all three facets to 'be Bond', but the way in which they come across gives us the different Bond characters.

Coming soon, Top 3s (5 was too many since there are only 22 films altogether).

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 138
RE: The Bond Thread: 16 - Licence To Kill (1989) - 17/11/2008 10:45:57 PM   
Chris66

Quite a lot of people on another forum were saying this film was not that good and neither was Dalton as Bond but I disagree. I have good memories of this film and I thought Dalton was a great Bond.

"We just wanted to say we're a big fan of your work. When it comes to killing Nazis... I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro... '"

Post #: 139
RE: The Bond Thread: 16 - Licence To Kill (1989) - 18/11/2008 5:23:38 AM   
Rhubarb

A Genuine Felix Lighter.

They changed the name from Revoked because apparently American audiences associated that with driving licence.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Chris66)
Post #: 140
RE: The Bond Thread: 16 - Licence To Kill (1989) - 18/11/2008 6:59:20 AM   
grucl

Some more trivia:

In Italy Dr. No is called Licenza di uccidere (=Licence to kill).

So when the official Licence to kill came around, they called it Vendetta Privata (=Private revenge).

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 141
RE: The Bond Thread: 16 - Licence To Kill (1989) - 18/11/2008 8:28:17 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

Some more trivia:

In Italy Dr. No is called Licenza di uccidere (=Licence to kill).

So when the official Licence to kill came around, they called it Vendetta Privata (=Private revenge).

Good knowledge! I like it.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 142
Bond - The Top Threes - 18/11/2008 12:23:07 PM   
homersimpson_esq

All in reverse order - 3, then 2, then 1

Villains

Max Zorin

Ernst Stavro Blofeld

Auric Goldfinger

Girls

Contessa Teresa Di Vicenzo / Mrs Tracey Bond

Anya Amasova / XXX

Solitaire

Gadgets

Polarizing Sunglasses (A View To A Kill)

The Genuine Felix Lighter (Licence To Kill)

Bond's Briefcase (From Russia With Love)

Cars

Aston Martin DBS (Casino Royale)

Aston Martin V8 Volante (The Living Daylights)

Aston Martin DB5 (Goldfinger and others)

Watches

Red Grant's Garotte Watch (From Russia With Love)

Omega Seamaster with built-in laser cutter and a remote detonator (GoldenEye)

Rolex Submariner with powerful electromagnet and spinning rope-cutting bezel (Live And Let Die)

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 143
RE: Bond - The Top Threes - 19/11/2008 12:22:00 AM   
Deviation

quote:

Girls

Contessa Teresa Di Vicenzo / Mrs Tracey Bond

You could have made a top three leaving just her in the GIRLS list.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 144
RE: Bond - The Top Threes - 19/11/2008 12:26:10 AM   
Rhubarb

Mrs Ringo and Jane Seymour are lovely though.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 145
RE: Bond - The Top Threes - 19/11/2008 12:32:53 AM   
Deviation

They are...they are not just Diana Rigg.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 146
RE: Bond - The Top Threes - 19/11/2008 6:56:36 PM   
homersimpson_esq

GoldenEye review incoming...

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 147
The Bond Thread: 17 - GoldenEye (1995) - 19/11/2008 7:14:11 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Contains mild spoilers

Not with a bang, but with, well maybe not a whimper, but a silent, breathtaking bungee jump off a dam: Bond has reached the 1990s. After a six year hiatus, and the Cold War, um, cold for some four years, Bond needed a new threat. And what a threat. Bringing things as close to home as they can get, we see 006 (Sean Bean), aka Alex Trevelyn, presumed killed in 1986 and a close friend of Bond's, become his most able villain yet.

Gone are the over-stylised villain's lairs which made Ken Adams' name, and in its place is a revitalised series which manages to get the balance just right. Brosnan has Moore's quips, but Connery's strength with a soupcon of Dalton's grit. He has his own trademark move (straightening his tie during high-stress situations) and makes the role entirely his. We have a new M (it must be the 90s, M's a lady, Judi Dench) who makes her stance clear early on: there is no love lost between her and Bond, even if there is a grudging respect. Q (Desmond Llewelyn) is still fighting strong, relishing his old catchphrases ('now pay attention') along with nice riffs on established expectancies ('don't touch that!..... That's my lunch!).

There is a definite 'cooling Cold War' feel to it, with the pre-credits sequence and the Russian element (listen to Alan Cumming rolling those Russian consonants around), but one gets the impression that this is Bond on a very personal mission, albeit one sanctioned by MI6 this time. Joe Don Baker returns as a good guy (Jack Wade, CIA contact, because presumably Felix Leiter took early retirement having only one leg) and we have Bond girls in the shapely forms of Famke Janssen as Xenia Onatopp and Isabella Scorupco as Natalya Simonova.

As a return to the screen, GoldenEye is a blistering action-packed spectacle with enough heart, humour and, erm, hotties to excite all those who might have been about to give Bond up as frozen by the Cold War. Brosnan shows he is more than capable (he had been selected in the 80s as the next Bond but contractual difficulties on Remington Steele prevented him from taking up the role, thus it passed to Dalton). All he needs are a few great films, and he could be the Bond to beat them all... Common opinion would have you believe that in this respect he was failed. This reviewer believes there is still much fun to be had in all Brosnan's Bond films, as I hope to demonstrate in the next three reviews.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 148
RE: The Bond Thread: 17 - GoldenEye (1995) - 19/11/2008 7:20:14 PM   
Deviation

Brosnam was a good Bond, but sadly this was his only good film. It was quite good mind you.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 149
RE: The Bond Thread: 17 - GoldenEye (1995) - 19/11/2008 7:23:47 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Forgot to mention that GoldenEye also saw the return of the full United Artists animated logo with music which reminded me of the older Bonds. Which was nice.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: The Bond Thread: 12 - Octopussy (1983) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI