Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Digital SLR Cameras

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Digital SLR Cameras Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 19/2/2012 9:36:51 PM   
sanchia

I have recently purchased a variable Neutral Density filter . I know they can be used for water pictures such at THIS (not one of mine) but am uncertain what else it can be used for. Any suggestions?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 211
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 20/2/2012 12:18:44 PM   
Chief Wiggum

I've not really tried using filters much - so I can't help, I'm afraid, but as far as I can tell it reduces the amount of light going through the lens. so you could probably use it to decrease depth of field on bright days - I know that in the past I've had to stop down to F22 to avoid overexposure on really bright days.

On a related note - I just discovered that (aside from 25,000 cameras) Hasselblad produce a peice of software called Phocus, which is similar to Photoshop camera Raw (I'm sure that there are other features you can use with it), but is completely free. The downside being that on the Windows build it only supports Hasselblads own RAW format, Jpegs and Tiff files, On Mac the OS means that it supports all formats. Still if you're using Jpegs it's right at the price.

it's called Phocus by the way.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 212
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 29/2/2012 1:36:28 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I have recently purchased a variable Neutral Density filter . I know they can be used for water pictures such at THIS (not one of mine) but am uncertain what else it can be used for. Any suggestions?

The principle purpose of neutral density filters is to cut down the amount of light hitting the film/sensor. Say you are wishing to shoot an image at at reasonably high ISO (say 400) on a bright sunny day using a fast aperture setting (f/5.6 for arguments sake). You may find that the camera cannot use a high enough shutter speed to record the exposure accurately, so in this instance you can apply a particular strength of ND filter to bring the shutter speed back down into the range of your camera. Conversely, as you already know, ND filters can be used to lengthen the exposure to give a blurred effect, if stopping down your aperture and ISO speed isn't enough.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 213
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 6:24:48 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Does anybody have any opinions on Sigma Lenses?

I'm looking to upgrade my lenses for faster versions and was tempted by their 24-70 EX DG f2.8 which is about for 250 new, they also have a HSM version for a few hundred more, anybody know if this added feature is worth 400?

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 214
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 8:28:39 PM   
gingerdaniel

As far as i know, the HSM makes it focus a heck of a lot quicker, i suppose it depends on what you're shooting. landscapes and still life shouldn't require it. Sports photography or moving subjects might make it more worthwhile. You certainly notice the difference when using one.

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 215
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 9:30:40 PM   
Chief Wiggum

hmmm, I did go to Shelsley Walsh (worlds oldest running motorsport venue) last year with the kit lens that came with the camera (standard 18-55 f3.5-5.6) and that went relatively well.

Mind you the HSM also has in lens optic stabilisers, it's a little superflous with a Sony and their in built I/S system, but from what I can see it's a little better than the in camera stuff.

tbh the price I've been quoted for new and second hand versions of the lens are so similar (one site actually quoted more for the second hand lens) its probably worth risking it for a biscuit.

I'm also looking at their 70-200 2.8 as well, so if the non HSM is up to the task it'll save me a huge bundle.

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 216
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 9:36:09 PM   
gingerdaniel

What's your body?

Can you take it to a camera shop and test it? There are some smaller retailers in town that don't mind letting you try the lenses out (especially the second hand ones), If they have it in stock!

I got my 55-250 canon lens second hand for a nice price, and they let me try it first, to check it was ok and i was happy with the quality.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 217
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 9:40:29 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Not camera related but I was wondering if anyone knows where you can pick up the miniature figures you see in photo's like this:

I'd really like to give it a go and take some shots myself.

Did you source them?

I have looked in most of the model shops in town but none of the figures have what i'm looking for...

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 218
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 9:53:34 PM   
Chief Wiggum

I went for a sony A450, primarily so I could use the old minolta lenses (in theory saving money buying off ebay, not realising that I could have done exactly the same with Nikon) the downside being that my local camera shops (jessops and a small, expensive, indy) don't stock the lenses as standard, and I'd have to order them in. The other option, of hiring a lens is out as the only site I've found that rents out sony-fit kit hasn't got the lenses I'm looking at.

Mind you, I think a comparatively spec'd nikon would have set me back an extra couple of hundred quid, but there you go.

Incidentally there are a few great indy shops with good deals online.

www.ffordes.com are based up north of inverness and they've got a stonking great catalogue of second hand lenses

and

www.mifsuds.com based in Devon

Edit - on the mini-figures, I would have thought they'd be the type of figures you find at model railway shops. I've been trying to find a few stormtroopers (lego and "normal" sized) and I'm struggling to find any at less than 10 a figure. Damn you George Lucas!

< Message edited by Chief Wiggum -- 6/3/2012 9:56:26 PM >

Post #: 219
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 10:03:18 PM   
sanchia

My main lens is a Sigma DC 18-200mm and I would recommend them to anyone. I have a couple of Canon lens which I used to use but the quality of the Sigma lens in terms of speed of focus and focal quality is noticably superior.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 220
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 10:15:33 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Cheers Sanchia, it's good to know - what are the colours like? I've heard that Sigmas can be a little "warm", but that's nothing that can't be corrected in post

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 221
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 10:17:31 PM   
gingerdaniel

You've all just inspired me...
I'm going on a canal boat holiday with my girlfriend and her entire family (13 of us i think, and 3 dogs) at the end of the month.
I've decided to take my camera to give me something to escape with...

I've just ordered a battery grip and two batteries, and another memory card, it's a 7 day trip and i dont want to run out of space/power!

I'll have a think about what toys/figures i can position on the boat. Any ideas?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 222
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 10:22:53 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Stromtroopers, every shot is better with stormtroopers in it. think of every great photo you've ever seen and add a couple of stormtroopers, instantly better.

Post #: 223
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 10:31:21 PM   
gingerdaniel

Yes i have seen many photos online where stormtroopers have been used, there's one with 365 days of stormtrooper shenanigans.

Post #: 224
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 10:37:37 PM   
Chief Wiggum

yeah there are loads of them about, but I really like them, I like the idea of them wearing the uniform all the time, even when relaxing.

Lego figures are a popular choice as well, and small enough that you can have a couple in a pocket wherever you go.

My favourite two lego shots are Nighthawks and Nighthawks of the Living Dead...

Nighthawks by Profound Whatever, on Flickr

Nighthawks of the Living Dead by Profound Whatever, on Flickr

Post #: 225
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 10:43:54 PM   
gingerdaniel

My mate was playing with his kit and made these

Perhaps it's time to dig out the old lego box!

Post #: 226
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 6/3/2012 11:28:00 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

My mate was playing with his kit and made these

Those are awesome - love the lighting on the smoke!

Perhaps it's time to dig out the old lego box!

I would but all my childhood stuff has been reserved for my nephew, bastard.

I cam across this the other day...http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/long-exposure-handhelds/introduction.html

it's basically a US army officer demonstrating shooting techniques he learnt from, well, shooting. I've had a bit of a play, but can't quite get the stability from his upright stances, but it's a good read none the less.

Post #: 227
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 7/3/2012 7:04:10 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

Cheers Sanchia, it's good to know - what are the colours like? I've heard that Sigmas can be a little "warm", but that's nothing that can't be corrected in post

Just as an example to show the difference.

Sigma Lens on left Canon on right. I was a similar distance away from the two subjects and the level of details captured on the Sigma is noticably superior. Personally I haven't noticed any excess warmth but tend to use a neutral setting on my camera anyway and adjust afterwards.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 7/3/2012 7:07:11 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 228
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 7/3/2012 7:12:19 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Thanks alot! definitely made the case for the Sigma - no excess warmth, and the blacks look great!

Now I've just got to wait for A a job, or B my tax rebate coming through

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 229
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 8/3/2012 8:15:31 PM   
Filmfan 2

Lenses have no impact on colour balance. That is purely down to the camera body as it's dependent on the sensor system that each manufacturer uses.

Post #: 230
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 8/3/2012 10:19:19 PM   
Chief Wiggum

They really do, it's nothing that can't be edited in post, but there is are definite differences in colour casts between lenses.

It all comes down to chemistry and the various processes that each manufacturer uses, but when you've got different compounds within the glass, different coatings on the glass, not to mention the different chemicals used whilst polishing the lenses, there is going to be a difference between the refraction of light in lenses from different lens makers. colour transmission is part of why Zeiss lenses are so sought after.

I mean I can tell the difference between my old Minolta lenses and my new Sony lens, and that, based on the history of the two brands, is basically the same manufacturer.

< Message edited by Chief Wiggum -- 8/3/2012 10:21:19 PM >

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 231
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 9/3/2012 1:55:10 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

They really do, it's nothing that can't be edited in post, but there is are definite differences in colour casts between lenses.

It all comes down to chemistry and the various processes that each manufacturer uses, but when you've got different compounds within the glass, different coatings on the glass, not to mention the different chemicals used whilst polishing the lenses, there is going to be a difference between the refraction of light in lenses from different lens makers. colour transmission is part of why Zeiss lenses are so sought after.

I mean I can tell the difference between my old Minolta lenses and my new Sony lens, and that, based on the history of the two brands, is basically the same manufacturer.

Perhaps you're correct, but I can honestly say that I've never come across colour cast problems from lenses before, and I've never read about it in reviews. I've always seen colour balance mentioned when comparing bodies or lens filters, but never lenses. I've never come across it in lens usage either, and I see no colour reproduction difference in the Nikkor 18-70mm I used to use, and the Nikkor 17-55mm lens I've just upgraded to, and the latter is pro-grade glass.

I may have just been lucky, mind you.

Post #: 232
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 20/3/2012 6:33:48 PM   
sanchia

I am considering upgrading my camera. My 1000d is fine but I am finding it is starting to date with respect to the limited pixel count and the sensor in low light is not brilliant. As I have quite a bit of kit for Canon (lens, spare batteries, remote switch etc.) I am contemplating upgrading to a 500D. Does anyone have any experience of them?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 233
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 26/3/2012 12:04:57 PM   
sanchia

Variable ND filters. Good at the lower end but massive variation at the higher end resulting in some very distorted partially over/underexposed images which are unusable (see below). I think I may invest in a few set filters across the range which take up more room but are more reliable.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 234
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 15/4/2012 9:20:53 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Well I splashed out and bought the sigma i mentioned earlier, thought I'd review it

24-70 EX DG Macro, Sony mount

Price paid 250, new from mifsuds

tested on an APS-C sized sensor

Pros
-fast, nice f2.8 across the board
-sharp - took a shot at f4 and it crisp enough I could blow the image up to 400% in CS5 and make out what the thing was
-Big Focus ring - really nice change to be able to use manual focus easily, unlike my other AF lenses which have a tiny focusing ring
-Non-rotating front element - should be able to pick up a set of Cokin filters for it and maybe even a linear polariser
-Minimum focus distance - about 40cm, and perfect for macro work
-zoom range - 24-70 (36-105 35mm equivilant on aps-c) good for a fast walk around lens

Cons
-Zoom ring - it's a bit close to the body, and is a little stiff to turn - but these are minor details
-focus distance - it goes from 3m (10ft) straight to infinity so selective dof at a distance is a not really possible
-filter size - 82mm so getting a dedicated filter is going to be steep (at least 20% of the lens price)
-size in general - it's a BIG lens, and heavy so may not be ideal for carrying all day everyday.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 235
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 15/4/2012 9:51:08 PM   
sanchia

82mm is a pretty hefty size.

One good thing from this, having just looked at a review of your lens I have found out I can reverse my tulip hood on my own Sigma lens for easy transportation.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 236
RE: Digital SLR Cameras - 7/5/2013 10:16:14 AM   
sanchia

I am considering an upgrade to my camera. Does anyone know anything about the 100D soon to be released? It seems quite good but I am uncertain, although the smaller size certainly appeals as does the capacity to record HD and 18mp rather than 10mp.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BYOY9EY/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=photo

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 237
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Digital SLR Cameras Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI