Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 30/10/2008 12:00:59 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 30/10/2008 12:00:59 PM   
Manfrendshensindshen

I'll have to drop a few pills after reading this story and the one about Sam Mendes directing Preacher. What's next: Lars von Trier remaking The Towering Inferno?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 30/10/2008 12:01:45 PM   
Manfrendshensindshen

I'll have to drop a few pills after reading this story and the one about Sam Mendes directing Preacher. What's next: Lars von Trier remaking The Towering Inferno?

Post #: 3
- 30/10/2008 12:03:30 PM   
Manfrendshensindshen

Sorry about the double post, wasn't my mistake (really!).

Post #: 4
RE: - 30/10/2008 12:17:01 PM   
morg1138

I can not wait for this one.  Was it Mr. Aronofsky idea or was he approached?

We've got to start thinking beyond our guns. Those days are closin' fast.

(in reply to Manfrendshensindshen)
Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 30/10/2008 12:46:20 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

We're guessing less splatter, more angst,

Hopefully not but thatís probably going to be right. Another blockbuster full of character angst & oh so human flaws etc to the detriment of fun action movie stuff. BORING!!!

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 6
RE: RE: - 30/10/2008 1:50:39 PM   
dj vivace

Instead of remaking the original, couldn't he just do another sequel, and pretend like the other sequels don't exist? I am excited by Aronofsky's work, but Robocop? I'm not sure he's the man for the job, and the cast of the original are so perfect i don't see it working. But saying that, i'll still watch it

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 7
Robocop Reinvention! - 30/10/2008 2:19:14 PM   
IKEOBI

Sounds great, I've always admired Aronofsky's work but I would have thought he'll approach Frank Miller to help him write the script since the two of them worked on the now abandoned Batman: Year One adaptation and Miller wrote the first Robocop sequel. But since he has said it's going to be a total reivention I imagine he will not be adopting Verheoven's satirical edge.

Post #: 8
- 31/10/2008 4:23:48 AM   
muchobenny

I'm really not sure Robocop needs 'reinventing'. It holds up very well today and has just the right balance between satire and action. I can't see where they can take the franchise that will be new without losing the charm.

Post #: 9
Robocop v Terminator - 31/10/2008 9:48:47 AM   
Makman

Personally, I am disappointed that the producers of the "Terminator" franchise never had the sense to buy the rights to "Robocop" a few years ago. Frank Miller wrote a wonderful "Robocop v Terminator" mini-series comic book years ago. This would make a terrific film (although they may need to change the ending - as it had too many Robocops and no involvement of John Connor).

Post #: 10
- 31/10/2008 10:05:36 AM   
Youshouldberunning

This sounds so goddamn weird! Count me in...

Post #: 11
- 31/10/2008 11:04:05 AM   
granny

Yes Makman, because AVP worked so well on the big screen didn't it?
I'm stoked for this though it'll be tough to find a villain moire memorable than Clarence/Kurtwood Smith.

Post #: 12
- 1/11/2008 11:39:00 AM   
Makman

The first AVP did work well ... I think some viewers just got "very OLD and jaded". I guess the new Robocop will be more like Iron Man...

Post #: 13
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 29/12/2008 5:38:22 PM   
Mason Verger

Aronofsky Quitting RoboCop?

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

Post #: 14
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 29/12/2008 5:44:10 PM   
BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

I hope it's true to be honest. Even though an Aronofsky directed Robocop would be something I would go and see, It's not exact;y needed and Verhoven's version is a classic. I'd much rather see Aronofsky direct The Fighter.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 15
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 29/12/2008 6:26:17 PM   
Kazuya

"I have a bad feeling about this."

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 16
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 29/12/2008 7:31:27 PM   
HughesRoss

Really do not need this no matter how good Darren is.  The idea fills me with dread to be quite honest.  Rewatched the original a few weeks back and suprised by how good it was after all these years.  The sequels were bad in fact the third is so awful -Robocop flying-ninja robots-that I thought it killed the franchise for good.
Weren't Verhoven interested in doing a sequel a few years back.  I remember reading in Empire an idea he had and it was quite cool about Robocop in a musuem and he gets re-actived for something or other.

Halloween,King Kong, Psycho,Dawn of the Dead will the madness stop and will Hollywood start to turn out more original movies so we can get excited again. 

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 17
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 29/12/2008 7:37:36 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

I hope it's true to be honest. Even though an Aronofsky directed Robocop would be something I would go and see, It's not exact;y needed and Verhoven's version is a classic. I'd much rather see Aronofsky direct The Fighter.

I would have been interested in a Aronofsky Robocop sequel. Would have been interesting.

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 18
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 31/12/2008 10:38:27 AM   
kargon

He can leave it the fck alone. nothing wrong with the original

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 19
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 31/12/2008 10:40:09 AM   
The Hooded Man

The best news I have heard in a while. The last thing Aaronofsky needs is to sell out.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 20
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 5/1/2009 9:32:10 AM   
Workshed

RoboCop is a perfect '80's actioneeir and sci-fi, Cyberpunk classic. It's perfect and doesn't need to be remade. Period. They're probably going to hire in a complete hack to make a shit film that's completely un-necessary anyway. This got greenlit just after Iron Man cleaned up in the summer.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 21
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 5/1/2009 1:19:32 PM   
KeithM

Another guy who can read the future.  Where do all these people come from?  Where can I get these wonderful powers?

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 22
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 5/1/2009 1:26:20 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

They're probably going to hire in a complete hack to make a shit film that's completely un-necessary anyway. This got greenlit just after Iron Man cleaned up in the summer.

Not an unreasonable prediction, studio's want a guaranteed moneymaker in this time of economic woe. Making money off the back of an original film has been done before....Wicker Man anybody? "Shit hack" may be harsh, but they'll deffo go for one who will go with what the studio wants and not rock the boat.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 23
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 5/1/2009 1:27:56 PM   
Drone

Certain aspects of the original could do with an update, but not to the extreme as to justify a remake.

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 24
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 5/1/2009 8:33:43 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Terrific

quote:

They're probably going to hire in a complete hack to make a shit film that's completely un-necessary anyway. This got greenlit just after Iron Man cleaned up in the summer.

Not an unreasonable prediction, studio's want a guaranteed moneymaker in this time of economic woe. Making money off the back of an original film has been done before....Wicker Man anybody? "Shit hack" may be harsh, but they'll deffo go for one who will go with what the studio wants and not rock the boat.

So, if you were in the movie business, in an economically difficult time, you would deliberately aim for mediocrity and therefore probably ensure a loss rather than hiring the best people to help ensure the best possible return?

You're fired!

Smart business people don't think like that when times are hard - they minimise risk not by hedging their bets on mediocre products in the hope that losses will be minimised, they rather try to minimise risk by being better value than the competition - and having a decent product is the only way to maximise the possibility of that happening (history tells us this over and over again in any number of industries).  I agree that the films that get made over the next few years will be 'sure-fire' money makers in terms of themes and franchise, but the 'rent-a-hack' way of thinking is erroneous imo.

Making a hack job remake only makes sense when the market is buoyant - when people can afford to see lots of films, so even crummy ones get a chance of being seen.  Studios stand a better chance of making their money back by only using the best talent (albeit on 'safer' projects).  These tough economic times will ensure that, in fact, the hacks will be culled - less movies will be made and the best talent - who still have to/will want to work remember - will be directly competing with the hacks for these projects too.

Like I say, I don't think we'll be seeing an awful lot in the way of originality in the types of film we'll be seeing over the next few years, but I think there's a good chance of seeing a bit of Darwinism in action in the world of movie makers - and a fair bit of rubbish being culled, hopefully.  Perhaps we'll lose a few 'difficult' auteurs in the process too, but if they're really that talented then they won't need the studios anyway.

Post #: 25
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 5/1/2009 8:40:31 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: KeithM

Making a hack job remake only makes sense when the market is buoyant - when people can afford to see lots of films, so even crummy ones get a chance of being seen. 

I don't know Keith, according to this segment on Talking Movies over the weekend when people are short on cash they're less likely to a risk on their cinema viewing, so the bland and predictable make profit.

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 26
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 5/1/2009 8:55:24 PM   
KeithM

I completely agree - but you're missing MY point -

Coming This Summer:

Transformers 3, directed by Steven Spielberg
Robocop (remake), directed by Uwe Boll
Spider-man 6 by Sam Raimi
The Dark Knight Retuns - directed by Christopher Nolan (starring Clink Eastwood ofc)
Pulp Fiction II - directed by Quentin Tarantino
Star Trek XV - directed by Brett Ratner.

You know which films you're NOT going to see, right?  Swap the names around - doesn't matter which director is working on which property - if you have to choose (like coz you're skint), you'll avoid the shit directors, even if it's on a property you like.  My point is, good directors (and writers, actors, cameramen, etc.) still have to work during lean times too - and although the actual projects to choose from may be less numerous and less original. the likelihood of hack directors, actors, cameramen, etc. keeping work in direct competition with the best, is less likely - and therefore rent-a-hack-remakes are also less likely (not remakes per se, just ones with crap talent on them).  You see where I'm coming from?  Safe franchises yes - hack talent no.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 27
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 5/1/2009 8:56:03 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

quote:

So, if you were in the movie business, in an economically difficult time, you would deliberately aim for mediocrity and therefore probably ensure a loss rather than hiring the best people to help ensure the best possible return?

You're fired!

Smart business people don't think like that when times are hard - they minimise risk not by hedging their bets on mediocre products in the hope that losses will be minimised, they rather try to minimise risk by being better value than the competition - and having a decent product is the only way to maximise the possibility of that happening (history tells us this over and over again in any number of industries). I agree that the films that get made over the next few years will be 'sure-fire' money makers in terms of themes and franchise, but the 'rent-a-hack' way of thinking is erroneous imo.

Making a hack job remake only makes sense when the market is buoyant - when people can afford to see lots of films, so even crummy ones get a chance of being seen. Studios stand a better chance of making their money back by only using the best talent (albeit on 'safer' projects). These tough economic times will ensure that, in fact, the hacks will be culled - less movies will be made and the best talent - who still have to/will want to work remember - will be directly competing with the hacks for these projects too.

Like I say, I don't think we'll be seeing an awful lot in the way of originality in the types of film we'll be seeing over the next few years, but I think there's a good chance of seeing a bit of Darwinism in action in the world of movie makers - and a fair bit of rubbish being culled, hopefully. Perhaps we'll lose a few 'difficult' auteurs in the process too, but if they're really that talented then they won't need the studios anyway.

The movie business is like any business, so when facing economic problems, won't take risks, will cut spending and look for shortcuts.

Making a remake is an easy option, built in fanbase, throw in formulaic trailer with things blowing up and stuff et volia....bums on seats.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 28
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 5/1/2009 8:57:39 PM   
Tech_Noir

After Mama Mia made so much money I don't know what to think anymore.

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 29
RE: Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake - 5/1/2009 9:06:53 PM   
KeithM

quote:

Making a remake is an easy option, built in fanbase, throw in formulaic trailer with things blowing up and stuff et volia....bums on seats.

Sigh.  I agree with that part of your point.  MY point is:

Robocop - Directed by Uwe Boll = no bums on seats, no matter how 'safe' the franchise.

Robocop - Directed by Darren Aronofsky = much more bums on seats than if you'd hired the above bum instead...

You see?  Safe franchises and properties I can see.  Hacks being hired over decent talent I can't...  If, however, the decent talent price themselves out of the market, then that's a whole different matter.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Darren Aronofsky Talks RoboCop Remake Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI