Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sam Mendes To Direct Preacher

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Sam Mendes To Direct Preacher Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sam Mendes To Direct Preacher - 30/10/2008 9:18:20 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 30/10/2008 9:18:20 AM   
Timon

Well when Kevin Smith was developing the project, James Marsden was lined up for the title role and I still reckon that would be a good call.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 30/10/2008 9:21:52 AM   
sgreenhorn88

GOOD TIMES! this has been so long in dev. hell it's very nice to see someone as awesome as mr. mendes attached. heck, he has a nice track record with converting graphic novels to the big screen! (granted it is only a track record of one...)

Post #: 3
- 30/10/2008 9:26:11 AM   
Skyjunky21

Can't see how this is going to work as a film with so much to squeeze in. I preffered the previous suggestion of a mini series...

Post #: 4
Best News Ever - 30/10/2008 9:37:24 AM   
DanBarnes501

This is awesome, ok I'm a bit worried about how theyre going to fit it into a film, but I love Mendes and have a great deal of faith that he'l pull this one off. And while we're making Tarantino references, I say David Carradine for the Saint of Killers

Post #: 5
Blindsided - 30/10/2008 9:43:31 AM   
sowasred2012

Did NOT see that coming - but I couldn't be happier. Was a little worried when Mark Steven Johnson was trying to turn it into a HBO series (he tries hard but his last two comic book movies just couldn't rise above being mediocre), but now, consider me at fever pitch levels of excitement.

Post #: 6
Also - 30/10/2008 9:44:32 AM   
sowasred2012

I think James Marsden would be an excellent choice, I love that he's getting better and better.

Post #: 7
Best News Ever - 30/10/2008 9:56:44 AM   
DanBarnes501

This is awesome, ok I'm a bit worried about how theyre going to fit it into a film, but I love Mendes and have a great deal of faith that he'l pull this one off. And while we're making Tarantino references, I say David Carradine for the Saint of Killers

Post #: 8
- 30/10/2008 10:02:18 AM   
dunkah

You're shittin' me?!? This is awesome news!!! When the comics were still running I always thought Glenn Fabry's covers made Jesse look like Johnny Depp but as much as i know i'm gonna get laughed at this i reckon 'Bongos' McConaughey would be perfect.... get him to reign in the goofball act dye his hair black and he's already got the look and the southern drawl. Throw in Colin Farrell as Cassidy, Clint as the Saint Of Killers and CGI in The Duke to play himself and you're onto a winner!

Post #: 9
RE: - 30/10/2008 10:10:13 AM   
Fanboyslayer

I'm not sure how they're gonna get away with alot of the stuff in the books but I am so excited about this. I think they are going to cop alot of flack but as long as they keep it true the spirit of the books it should be a winner.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to dunkah)
Post #: 10
Thank God - 30/10/2008 10:20:11 AM   
matthewforan

Preacher is a great series of books but I'd probably prefer it to be on the small screen but any news is good news for this series. Now we just have to cast it, I've been thinking about it a lot recently while reading the books. I'd like to see them maybe go a bit younger with the casting for a couple of the roles, for example Cillian Murphy as Cassidy and maybe Rachel McAdams as Tulip I know she's not blonde but I think she'd be good as for Jesse possible Ed Norton or even Colin Farrell and Tommy Lee Jones as Saint of Killers.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 11
Nathan Fillion for Jesse! - 30/10/2008 10:26:35 AM   
the ageless stranger

You know it to be true!  Colin Farrell for Cassidy, perhaps Elizabeth Banks as Tulip and I'd say Michael Hogan (Col. Tigh from BSG) for the Saint. 

Stand And Be True

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 12
RE: Nathan Fillion for Jesse! - 30/10/2008 10:31:39 AM   
matthewforan

Fillion is a good shout for just about every male role ever but I don't think he's right for Jesse, I don't think he's mean looking enough.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to the ageless stranger)
Post #: 13
James Franco? No way! - 30/10/2008 10:33:34 AM   
Nicky C

JASON PATRIC! He looks so much like Custer it's hilarious. Picture him in the black jacket and white trews. It's so GOT to be Jason Patric. No one else will do. Unless they wait a few years for Emile Hirsch to get a bit older.

Post #: 14
RE: Sam Mendes To Direct Preacher - 30/10/2008 10:37:30 AM   
raclements

quote:

When the comics were still running I always thought Glenn Fabry's covers made Jesse look like Johnny Depp

On Glenn Fabry's covers he looks  like Glenn Fabry!

Post #: 15
RE: Nathan Fillion for Jesse! - 30/10/2008 10:44:38 AM   
the ageless stranger

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

Fillion is a good shout for just about every male role ever but I don't think he's right for Jesse, I don't think he's mean looking enough.

True, he may not have the mean looking chops, but he can be a nasty bastard when necessary.

Stand And Be True

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 16
RE: Nathan Fillion for Jesse! - 30/10/2008 10:49:10 AM   
CORLEONE

Wow! Great news, this. Should be a 3 hour epic! Nick Nolte for Saint of Killers!

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 17
The Preacher Casting Call - 30/10/2008 10:52:03 AM   
Mister Knightley

Jesse Custer: Clive Owen
Cassidy: Sean Penn
Tulip: Naomi Watts
Saint of Killers: Samuel L Jackson
Herr Starr: Christopher Walken

Post #: 18
RE: Nathan Fillion for Jesse! - 30/10/2008 10:55:34 AM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: the ageless stranger

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

True, he may not have the mean looking chops, but he can be a nasty bastard when necessary.

I agree with that you just have to look at Serenity and I love the guy really I do but I'm just not sure about him as Jesse. Maybe as the voice of the other J.C.

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 19
RE: The Preacher Casting Call - 30/10/2008 11:02:40 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Knightley

Jesse Custer: Clive Owen
Cassidy: Sean Penn
Tulip: Naomi Watts
Saint of Killers: Samuel L Jackson
Herr Starr: Christopher Walken

Slight problem with that.......

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Mister Knightley)
Post #: 20
Enough with Nathan bloody Fillion - 30/10/2008 11:09:44 AM   
bronco3114

I loved Firefly I really did, but he can't do every graphic novel leading man ever created!? I've narrowed the list down to what I think is a very good 3, any of which could do the job brilliantly and add their own flavor to it... 1. James Franco 2. Josh Brolin 3. Benitio Del Toro. God I should be a casting director!

Post #: 21
RE: Enough with Nathan bloody Fillion - 30/10/2008 11:15:29 AM   
matthewforan

Del Toro is a good choice but i'm not sure about him for that role simply because of Jesse's accent Del Toro seems to only be able to do his own. And I'm sorry but I really don't like James Franco, don't get me wrong he was good in Freaks and Geeks and in Pineapple Express but I don't think he'd be able to carry a movie like Preacher. As for James Brolin maybe as the Saint of Killers but not Jesse. Good luck though with the dream job.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to bronco3114)
Post #: 22
RE: Sam Mendes To Direct Preacher - 30/10/2008 11:15:39 AM   
deeman1782

Preacher is an absolute classic and I've waited years for this to come to the big screen. Colin Farrell for Cassidy (obvious I know but I think he can do it), Naomi Watts for Tuilip and dust off Clint and make him play the Saint of Killers. But Jesse is by far the most important, Marsden would have worked well a few years ago but I think they've left it too long. Maybe Christian Bale, I could see it.

Post #: 23
Nathan for Preacher - 30/10/2008 11:24:13 AM   
hannah

Does no-one remember Nathan Fillion being the Big Bad's Preacher Henchman in Season 7 of Buffy? I thought he was pretty scary in that, and I happen to have only watched Firefly after watching that, now huge fan of Nathan Fillion although he was looking a bit boring on Desperate Housewive.

Post #: 24
Yipee? - 30/10/2008 11:49:16 AM   
shanewire

it'll be a great movie no doubt but unless its 30 or so hours long it just won't do it justice. Pity the series fell through. I mean HBO? Woulda been sweet.

Post #: 25
Re Nathan Fillion - 30/10/2008 12:01:16 PM   
mightyhypnotoad

@Hannah, I agree that Fillion should be in this movie but as Jodie Jesse's mothers loyal and evil as hell ranch hand.

Post #: 26
Furthermore - 30/10/2008 12:03:46 PM   
mightyhypnotoad

Patrick Stewart was born to play te role of Herr Starr surely we can all agree on that. If you've seen his self depricating turns as CIA director Bulloch in American Dad and his Multiple appearances in Gervais' Extras you know he's right for the role.

Post #: 27
RE: Furthermore - 30/10/2008 12:16:22 PM   
dunkah

quote:

ORIGINAL: mightyhypnotoad

Patrick Stewart was born to play te role of Herr Starr

Nah it's gotta be Alan Rickman... who else could deliver such lines as "I loathe public displays of affection, Faetherstone" and " My cock is in the Bitch's mouth... and not in a good way"?

(in reply to mightyhypnotoad)
Post #: 28
RE: Furthermore - 30/10/2008 12:40:20 PM   
mightyhypnotoad

Ok I promise last post for now my ideal cast list is as follows:
Zachary Quinto -Jesse
Brittany Murphy - Tulip
Colin Farrell - Cassidy
Sam Elliot - Saint of Killers ( Ideally I'd love Eastwood but he would never agree)
Patrcik Stweart - Herr Starr
William Fitchner - Sheriff Root (Arse faces Dad)
Ryan Phillipe- Arse Face
Nathan Fillian - Jody
Wade Williams - TC

"Hey, my girlfriend had one of those. Actually, it wasnít herís, it was her dadís. Actually, she wasnít my girlfriend, she just lived next door and never closed her curtains."

(in reply to mightyhypnotoad)
Post #: 29
Before we get to casting... - 30/10/2008 12:48:38 PM   
freakinabsuit

It actually worries me. Could they really do such an expansive story, with such well developed character arch's in one(lets say 2 and a half hour movie)? And if they tried I reckon they would prob cut half of the back stories... like saint of killers amazing one, I think they would cut the original allfather and the inbred kid and just have Herr Starr from the get go, they would probably completely cut arseface and his back story, I dont think they would include any of Cassidy's New Orleans stuff... maybe not even his Michael Collins war stuff. Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love Preacher and Sam Mendes is more than capable but I dont wanna see another one of my favourite comics get raped by hollywood! Theres a black hole in my stomach saying a couple of months around the corner we're gonna get some shit on empireonline saying "Nic Cage cast as Jesse!" or "Sam Jackson IS Saint of Killers" with some half arsed, on the fence, "oh maybe it might work" justification bollocks. And if that happens I may have to jump ship...

Casting...

Jesse: I can see Franco but Bale is a better Actor
Cassidy: Guy Pearce or Gary Oldman(Cassidy is nearly 100 and has been drinking all that time)
Tulip: Not sure
Herr Starr: Clancy Brown
Saint: Nick Nolte? Danny Huston? Fuck it...Clint!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Sam Mendes To Direct Preacher Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI