Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: KEEP ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: KEEP ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: KEEP ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!! - 30/10/2008 8:56:51 AM   
Makman

I love Mark Millar's writing work on The Ultimates, Civil War and Wanted. He is one of the best comic-book writers around (along with Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman). However, unless his "BIG hollywood director" friend is James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott or Michael Bay - I doubt Warner Bros will greenlit his idea.

I agree that they should keep Routh. Personally, I would love to see Chris Nolan take over the franchise (instead of a 3rd Batman film) or to see Wolfgang Petersen's vision for "Batman and Superman" film.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
Millar - 30/10/2008 9:18:29 AM   
jimoakley666

Millar is cool and writes some cracking stuff (Wolverine; Enemy of the state) but I would prefere, if we're getting in comics talent to do the job, to see Grant Morrison's take on a Superman movie. Read his 'Allstar Superman' right now. Fantastic!!!

Post #: 62
Boring - 30/10/2008 10:40:52 AM   
Leeorami 2.0

I'm getting bored with new origin films for already well established characters. Why can't they just come up with just a different take on Superman?

It's the same with Batman. I like to see Batman in his older years struggling with the fact he's getting old and still having to battle like a young man. That would be interesting.

Post #: 63
Routh as Superman... - 30/10/2008 11:19:54 AM   
diablo1000000

... a hundred thousand times. Seriously, I can't imagine anyone else playing him now!

Post #: 64
RE: No Matter What!!! KEEP ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!!! - 30/10/2008 11:29:34 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASonic77

And the feedback is very positive.

Oh really?  I take it you don't read the internet much then?

Feedback has been... mixed, to say the least.  Many, many people absolutely hated it.

yes but many, many people also liked it.

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 65
Routh has to go. So does the Williams score. - 30/10/2008 11:31:40 AM   
Wrathschild

Wipe the slate clean. No Baggage.

Post #: 66
SUPERMAN REMAKE. - 30/10/2008 11:46:37 AM   
mohanicus

as being a gigantic superman fan as he is the epitome of the word superhero.
it does sound like a good idea to start from scratch.
dont get me wrong here the donner movie was and is the best superman film ever made.
havin never read any of millars superman stories i say GO FOR IT DUDE.
it would be excellant to have a SERIOUS take on the man of steel without the comedy of the originals even tho they are timeless.except superman 4.
singer did a great job on returns with brandon routh he was a great find to play superman.
have to see if the sequel will be better.
but on the other hand its time to put a more proper serious trillogy of superman out there.
keeping routh in the cape.
lets give millar a good chance to put somthing more serius and epic on the screen.
batman is back with a fuckin vengence.
lets see kal-el in the same kind of way too.

good luck with the project mark.
hope it goes ahead for you.

Post #: 67
RE: SUPERMAN REMAKE. - 30/10/2008 11:53:32 AM   
JIm R

Singer's Returns was an awesome film, loved it, captured a real love for the character and harnesed the darkness and light in the story arc brilliantly.

Routh was more than capable, a fantastic performance in both roles, a sequel will come, unfortunately deep down studios don't give a monkey's on original source material, staying true etc, they want wedge and Returns' $400 million worldwide wasn't deemed enough.

This Millar incarnation sounds awful and misguided, bring us Singer and the Doomsday story arc and then we'll start listening.

(in reply to mohanicus)
Post #: 68
RE: SUPERMAN REMAKE. - 30/10/2008 12:14:36 PM   
robmaytum

Having read the article I think in theory this is a great idea.

Superman is probably the most loved comic character worldwide for many numerous reasons (the Comics, Christopher Reeve, Superman Returns).

I think the principal of the idea is awesome, especially the ending. The idea of Superman alone on earth before it supernova's just set off a great image in my head, wow. I've been informed this ending comes from the comic book universe, so there is a point of reference in there.

The birth story and the ending would work, I think the key issue surrounds the Clark Kent in Metropolis part of his life. Most of this has been covered with the originals via the Christopher Reeve acted film and then Singers own adaptation/tribute (Although I struggle to see the kid story coming across in this one without it becoming farcical. You made the rod for your back there Singer!!!).

Does this "history" get completely ignored with a completely new set of content, or do we pay homage and therefore repeat some of the story already covered (Please tell me that Nuclear man especially, but pretty much the existence of everything from Superman 3 onwards is forgotten - We can but pray)?

Considering this is referred to as an 8 hour story, then surely this means around 3 films of 2hrs 40 mins long? First would cover the birth and early years, the third the end and dare I say it bucking the trend of the "dark" second installment. This then leans to a lot of cramming and filling into a middle/second film, what gets included what doesn't?

Will he cover new ground or source material from the already huge comic book universe? Does he take Superman out to space and bring in the more "experimental/expanded" storylines, or does he give him a "grounding" around Metropolis and Earth only? The second film could tell be the love story part with Supes and Lois perhaps with the ending of that film having Lois dying and therefore he gives up on earth, leading to it's downfall in the third installment?

I'd like to see more about the idea and think from this early suggestion it's something I'd look forward to. That ending still has me very excited as a concept (I may try to find the comic source if it does exist).

< Message edited by robmaytum -- 30/10/2008 12:18:25 PM >

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 69
RE: No Matter What!!! KEEP ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!!! - 30/10/2008 2:15:54 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

quote:

Feedback has been... mixed, to say the least.  Many, many people absolutely hated it.

What does that have to do with it?  The guy said the feedback was 'positive' - it most certainly wasn't.  As I said, the most positive spin one can put on the feedback is that it was 'mixed'.  The sheer amount of negative feedback can't be ignored, as much as you head-in-the-sanders would like it to be.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 70
RE: No Matter What!!! KEEP ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!!! - 30/10/2008 2:18:59 PM   
darth silas

Get rid of Routh.Hes just a Christopher Reeve impersonator.Get an actor who can truly embody the role of Superman and bring his own unique spin on the character.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 71
RE: No Matter What!!! GET RID OF ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!!!! - 30/10/2008 2:21:20 PM   
KeithM

My feelings exactly.

All new.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 72
RE: No Matter What!!! KEEP ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!!! - 30/10/2008 2:46:09 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

quote:

What does that have to do with it?  The guy said the feedback was 'positive' - it most certainly wasn't.  As I said, the most positive spin one can put on the feedback is that it was 'mixed'.  The sheer amount of negative feedback can't be ignored, as much as you head-in-the-sanders would like it to be.

sorry did I just rattle a cage or something? all I was saying was that yes their was some negative feedback - but their was some positive about the film; surely the same with most films! I'm not a head-in-the-sand kind of person. Just giving my opinion Keith!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 73
RE: No Matter What!!! GET RID OF ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!!! - 30/10/2008 2:54:07 PM   
KeithM

Sorry - I didn't mean to sound snappy. 

I stand by my point though - and I do feel that people who fail to acknowledge the negative reaction to SR are burying their heads in the sand, but I genuinely don't mean it to be personal or anything.

< Message edited by KeithM -- 30/10/2008 2:55:59 PM >

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 74
RE: No Matter What!!! GET RID OF ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!!! - 30/10/2008 3:04:40 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

Sorry - I didn't mean to sound snappy. 

I stand by my point though - and I do feel that people who fail to acknowledge the negative reaction to SR are burying their heads in the sand, but I genuinely don't mean it to be personal or anything.

ah thats ok  to be honest I like Returns although I think it has many many faults and was not the film I really longed for. The bits I loved personally are the bits that are a direct homage to the Richard Donner movie (the bit that got my hairs standing up on my neck was the title sequence ... which in its self says a lot perhaps!)

c'mere and gimme a big cuddle !!

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 75
Not buying that - 30/10/2008 3:25:10 PM   
AboyNamedSue

Do a direct sequel to Returns.

Post #: 76
Also - 30/10/2008 3:33:06 PM   
AboyNamedSue

Routh was fucking brilliant as Superman. So fuck you kindly, sir.

Post #: 77
RE: Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman - 30/10/2008 3:40:18 PM   
Mason Verger

“The problem with Superman Returns was like releasing Star Wars in ’77, The Empire Strikes Back in ’80 and then waiting 28 years to release Return of the Jedi, it wasn’t relevant. I understand what Bryan Singer was trying to do, to pay homage to Richard Donner’s original vision, but I think you should pay homage by doing something completely different.”

His analogy doesn't work. Return of the Jedi didn't rehash most of A New Hope's ideas and try to pass them off as something new. 

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

Post #: 78
RE: Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman - 30/10/2008 4:15:06 PM   
theamazingsimon

I personally think they should ahve done what they did with Batman instead of Returns - redo the franchise starting again. This could be good for superman if done well, and I figure, heck, let Millar on it and share his vision with us. If its crap then we'll all throw bricks at him :P

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 79
RE: Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman - 30/10/2008 4:29:44 PM   
Mr Terrific

Sincerely doubt Millar's vision of a Superman trilogy will see light of day cinemawise. Too out there. Doubt a studio would want to risk a project like that.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to theamazingsimon)
Post #: 80
- 30/10/2008 4:43:47 PM   
Big Red

I quite like this idea but like others have said, I dunno if that will actually happen.
I really would like Brandon Routh to reprise his role too!

Post #: 81
RE: Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman - 30/10/2008 5:34:28 PM   
rocknrose37

I'm personally not interested in seeing Superman alone on planet earth. He wouldn't have much of a motivation if there wasn't anyone for him to defend, and not villains for him to over come. And I also don't like the idea of Superman losing his powers. The whole concept of Superman being the only being left on earth while losing his powers sounds so boring. I would rather see a kick ass movie that displays all of Superman's abilities. And I would love to see Brandon Routh reprise the role!

Post #: 82
I dont know what's worse - 30/10/2008 6:55:17 PM   
Noelg25

The fact that Mark Miller pitched this or the fact he thinks it will work!

Superman as the only being left on planet Earth? Hmm...I am a big fan of the Big Blue Boy Scout but seriously Mark, come on! Realistically that won't happen...and making it into 3 films? 3 seperate films? Fucking hell mate.

I still say do a direct sequel to Returns but with some serious action. Let Routh reprise his role as Superman/Clark Kent, ditch Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane cos she just doesnt fit the bill at all! No idea who could play Lois movie wise tho...thats a tough one. And please if they decide to follow on Mark's idea, some serious things need to be sorted out! But if they go with a sequel to Returns, get the likes of Brainiac and Doomsday onboard!! Feck, if Smallville can do it, surely the WB movie big wigs can conjure up something even more tasty!!

Post #: 83
RE: I dont know what's worse - 30/10/2008 8:21:49 PM   
Tech_Noir

I'm all for Millar's far out approach.

Superman Returns HAS TO BE IGNORED - and you can't ignore it better than going with this zany idea.

Nothing personal against Routh but we need a fresh Superman, no connection with Christopher Reeve (RIP) or the Donner films.

Make it dark, make him angry, make it anything I don't care, just give me something new.

How would people feel it Batman Begins (not a fan but lots here love it) had an actor mimicking Michael Keaton with a slight variation of Elfman's theme playing in the background. It'd be naff.

(in reply to Noelg25)
Post #: 84
why redo the origins? - 30/10/2008 8:31:51 PM   
OzzMosiz

Sorry, but no one will ever better the origin story from Richard Donners 78 Superman film. That was epic!

A sequel to Returns could be great if written well. The direction of Returns was top notch, the writing, not so!

Post #: 85
Is it April 1st? - 30/10/2008 8:36:53 PM   
Uncle Ludo

Like the idea but I think he should do it as a comic series or a series of 3 'elseworlds' graphic novels as I can't see DC going for it any other way. I'd read it. He needs to get areality check. I'm a big fan of MIllars comics (all the way back to the Saviour) but in film he's an unknown and who would take a huge gamble like this.

Post #: 86
Wanted ideot - 30/10/2008 10:52:32 PM   
Funk

For all those who actually liked (crazy) his last film, this guy is an ideot who made a stupid film! Not many peep id imagine would like to see baby Clark (again) and then see him grow up save people (again again Smallville and again) and noone would want to see him on Earth on his own waiting for death.... i have Cast Away for such isolating movies :)

Post #: 87
Superman the begining till end? - 30/10/2008 11:12:22 PM   
Steper1

I like the End factor he is talking about but WTF is the point in the origins story crap??? SmallVIlle has basically covered every area of clark before he dons the tights and cape. I just hope he means showing clark on krypton before and after it blows and skipping the whole smallville timeline.

Post #: 88
RE: Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman - 31/10/2008 2:45:03 AM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: rocknrose37

I'm personally not interested in seeing Superman alone on planet earth. He wouldn't have much of a motivation if there wasn't anyone for him to defend, and not villains for him to over come. And I also don't like the idea of Superman losing his powers. The whole concept of Superman being the only being left on earth while losing his powers sounds so boring. I would rather see a kick ass movie that displays all of Superman's abilities. And I would love to see Brandon Routh reprise the role!

Millar told us the intro to his movie and the end coda - the final moment when everyone and everything he fought to protect has gone.  This is not sometime in the near future - this is approx. 4 billion years into the future.  That leaves plenty of room for all the stories you would ever need, either directly in Millar's take, or in future films (if they even wanted to set it in the same continuity).  Neither of the things Millar mentioned need take up much screen time at all - Lord of the Rings started 3000 years in the past, but it didn't stay there for the entire movie did it?

The first movie won't be set entirely on Krypton, I imagine, and I doubt the 3rd will just have him all alone on earth for the entirety of it either.  Use your imaginations.

(in reply to rocknrose37)
Post #: 89
Have to have an origin - 31/10/2008 4:48:32 AM   
ASonic77

Not everybody watches Smallville. Reboot means re-telling the story right? So all those in favor of a reboot (Hoping for a 'Returns' sequel myself) now have to go through an origin. It doesn't have to elaborate on the growing up in smallville time frame, but can actually be better than Donner's origin by actually embracing the origin with more detail of Krypton and show the world more. And let it have some kind of significance throughout the movies that follow. Show some kind of war goin' on or something on a Krypton with lush environments and plays out back at on Earth. It can be a constant tug of war in the story line with Superman caught in the middle. So I say we do a really cool origin. Something new, never seen before. Have Terrence Stamp be Jor-El for this new franchise. Oh yeah by the way, I do read internet reviews and critics did praise Routh as Superman. Definately keep Routh and Singer aboard. Just surround them with great writers.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: KEEP ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI