Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: - 29/10/2008 5:50:57 PM   
Tech_Noir

I can see it now, Superman alone on deserted Earth, writing a journal of his thoughts... flashback to Smallville.

(in reply to The Gaffer)
Post #: 31
- 29/10/2008 5:53:43 PM   
sanchia

From the very brief description it sounds like it would be better as a comic than a film.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman - 29/10/2008 6:10:00 PM   
bad hat harry

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

Well I don't think there is an awful lot to go on at the moment and if it did happen things would most certainly change. To be honest, I really like Superman Returns. I will just be happy to see a new Superman film, whoever it's by.

i feel the exact same way. i just want to watch another superman movie at the cinema. as much as i loved Superman returns i'm resigned to to the fact that it wont get a sequel. too many people just dont like it, hate it even. i think its long past the point where a sequel to SR is feasible given everything thats been said.

i'm not really sure mark millar is the right person for this but his idea is interesting, and he seems really enthusiastic about it. not sure i can see warner bros going for it though. it doesn't just sound dark, it's sounds really properly bleak. i thought the darker aspects of superman returns were one of the things that some people had a problem with. maybe I'm wrong. i dont mind if it's depressing or whatever, as long as it's a good movie

i think a rebooted superman movie is going to be a really difficult thing to pull off. people seem to essentially want a film that reminds them of the Christopher reeve movies but has nothing to do with them. i think that if they decide to reboot superman, they cant really take anything from those older movies, at all, even the theme tune. which is easily the best thing about the original movies. i guess if they go down that road there will inevitably those who will complain that "its not superman" a la the fuss about Daniel craig as james bond. i personally think that if they're goon reboot, it needs to be with a blank slate. the idea of a superman movie based in a more realistic world is potentially really great & there are a lot of places to go with that. but whatever movie they make, i'll happily stand in line to watch.

< Message edited by bad hat harry -- 29/10/2008 6:13:03 PM >

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.”
— Woody Allen

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 33
RE: - 29/10/2008 6:24:18 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

From the very brief description it sounds like it would be better as a comic than a film.

At least it won't have Lex Luthor's latest real estate scam.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 34
- 29/10/2008 6:33:59 PM   
Adrian

Why would Superman stay on earth after mankind has died out? surely he'd fly off to a different world? by then he'd probably have found some alternate version of earth he'd be able to go to... or there'd be somewhere. but I doubt he'd just sit around for a few milenia just waiting for the sun to engulf him. I agree that it's a great idea, but better suited to another hero. or maybe a way to do the justice league... er... justice... follow it from inception to end. that way everyone'd get their moment of limelight and it wouldn't just be superman and batman and friends... maybe.

'sides.. hollywood'd never go for that ending. too depressing.

Post #: 35
Come back, Brandon and Bryan - 29/10/2008 7:21:55 PM   
Wormie

Superman Returns deserves at least one sequel. Brandon Routh was great, second only to Christopher Reeve. Doing a reboot now is a terrible idea. I like Millar's writing, but he's a shameless self-publicist. I don't agree that tying Superman Returns in with Superman I & II was a bad idea. Most viewers are very familiar with those films.

Post #: 36
- 29/10/2008 7:27:31 PM   
Supermanfan

While The Dark Knight & Batman Begins focused on a real life portral of Batman, I dont think that would work on screen for Superman, who is a flying Alien/man in all honesty...

I agree with him about his comments about Superman Returns & all the vague sequal shite & the 25 year gap between the 2 movies in question.

I want a reboot to start with Krypton but certainly not end with Superman being the last man on earth, hes not f**kin immortal for f**k sake..

Get Smallvilles Tom Welling in there to play Superman as well hes tecnically still an unknown on the big screen & surely his Smallville career must work in his benifit, if your gonna keep Routh then you might as well do a sequal to the mess that was Superman Returns

Post #: 37
RE: - 29/10/2008 7:41:51 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I'm not for Mark Millar's idea one bit. I've heard the guy's name being banded about, all I know is he's some comic scribe, so I'm not familiar with his work and I have no inclination to be acquainted with his comic oeuvre. I appreciate his approach, using an idea that hasn't been visualised on screen before, however I feel it would be too radical and cumbersome. As another posted noted a stand-alone format rather than an episodic one would befit Superman, people also need to stop referencing contemporary zeitgeists like The Dark Knight as templates to visualise Superman. A more serious and perhaps darker Superman is fine but to go all the way and make him a constant brooding and morose figure is not the way to go. He is a figure of hope and light, a symbol that's meant to truly inspire others. The one quality that makes him superhuman and a demi-god is his tenacious resilience in upholding his moral code. This may be considered 'cheesy' but I don't care, I'd like to see this exemplified in the next series of Superman films. An admirable 'pitch' by Monsieur Millar but a dud in my opinion.

On a side note the number of media outlets that readily use the term "exclusive" is laughable. I imagine sychophancy and blind idolisation are necessary characters for those that want to work in such industries. However please spare a thought for those of us who do not have such reverence for people of upper stature.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 29/10/2008 7:46:01 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Supermanfan)
Post #: 38
What's the point Superman sucks - 29/10/2008 8:38:30 PM   
Taz69

Yes I prefer Batman as in many incarnations he's middle aged/going on 50 and and years of superheroics tells it's toll on him. It's real (well as real as any superhero character can be). Superman's invincable with all the abilities he needs for any danger. His kryptonite weekness is just a story device and not really telling of a weakness in Kal-el himself Also he's been mainly seen as a tool for the good ol' US of A spreading the patriotic Red, White, and Blue. Basically if this happens Smallville has been a bigger waste of time then it recent seasons have proved.

Post #: 39
RE: What's the point Superman sucks - 29/10/2008 8:53:13 PM   
Gazdance

I really liked Superman Returns so I would love to see a sequel to that as I think Singer did a good job (exactly how does he make his films a thinly veiled allegory for gay rights anyway?  Didn't get that at any point during SR).

That said, Millar's pitch, to me, sounds amazing.  Epic in scale for an epic, god-like character.  I don't think it'll ever happen as I don't think that it would be commercial enough but it is a tantalising prospect.  A real opportunity to explore Superman as a character and an icon.

(in reply to Taz69)
Post #: 40
Earth to Millar...do you read me? - 29/10/2008 9:07:39 PM   
Capt. Midnight

Seriously.

To mention Lord of the Rings and Godfather trilogy in the same sentence as Wanted and Kick-Ass...well... at least he's got a good sense of humour.

Post #: 41
Earth to Millar...do you read me? - 29/10/2008 9:09:38 PM   
Capt. Midnight

Seriously.

To mention Lord of the Rings and Godfather trilogy in the same sentence as Wanted and Kick-Ass...well... at least he's got a good sense of humour.

Post #: 42
Can't wait! - 29/10/2008 9:47:07 PM   
master exploder

I'm not a comic book fan but I am a fan of Superman the Movie and Superman Returns and I think this idea of Millar's sounds absolutely brilliant! However, I don't think any studio will give serious consideration to actually making his proposed trilogy.

Post #: 43
RE: Superman is the most famous metaphor - 29/10/2008 10:00:09 PM   
REC11

The concept of an epic movie for this character sounds like a perfect match. Although I love most comic book characters for their individual strengths, Superman remains my favorite simply because it is the ultimate metaphor for what we as a society hope for ourselves as individuals. The name says it all. Superman is not perfect but his values strive for perfection. Kryptonite is not his only weakness, but yes it is a “tool”. A tool to show how we overcome our defeats, shortcomings, losses, what have you. I’d like to see Bryan Singer do his “wrath of khan” version of Superman with the same cast. But if it can’t be then I’ll welcome anything Superman related. Mr. Millar sounds like he has a passionate vision. I only hope it includes a story that gives us something to take home with us long after the movie is over; like any great novel. Superman can teach us all a lot about living & dying as heroes.

(in reply to Capt. Midnight)
Post #: 44
Make Way For Millar - 29/10/2008 10:28:27 PM   
d0m_l

I recently read Millar’s ‘Superman: Red Son’ (re-imagines Superman from the point of view of Soviet Russia) and thought it was one of the best Superman stories I’ve seen, so I’m enthusiastic about the writer having a shot at a film trilogy.

Donnor’s Superman is one of my favourite films, but I think now a reboot is needed. The character seems to be criticised for being too one dimensional, but I’d argue that there is a lot about him that hasn’t been explored on film yet.

As it’s rightly been pointed out, Superman is effectively an American super weapon (Red Son explores how the world might react if a nation had such a power) – but Donnor’s version didn’t focus on this theme, nor did Singers (which I also admire). How could that situation escalate and pan out? It’s a great theme for a trilogy.

I’d also argue that a self contained trilogy is exactly what the Character needs. Singer’s Superman suffered from an overall lack of direction in my opinion (even though it was very good as a homage to Donnor’s work).

Got to support Millar’s idea for the end of the final part also.

< Message edited by d0m_l -- 24/2/2010 12:54:27 AM >

Post #: 45
Yes yes yes yes - 29/10/2008 10:45:28 PM   
Battan9000

I really hope they do this and do it well. The middle section would be the best, but the origin and end of the world stuff 2. Can't wait. Hope they have Dooms Day and Brainiac in it. And some other big bads - even Lex if they do him right. More Smallsville less Returns

Post #: 46
RE: Make Way For Millar - 29/10/2008 10:46:54 PM   
jackcarter

um...arent Superman I and II generally considered 'The Godfather' of Superhero films? what with them being the first of the big screen big budget star studded serious superhero films that paved the way for todays (like GF I/II were the first real mafia films allowing the likes of Goodfellas etc to be made)...they were written by GF writer Puzo, star Brando (in a similar role to Don Corleone - i.e is the main father figure who dies and then passes it all one to his son who becomes the star) and pretty much show superman from beginning to end...plus like GF the first two are excellent but suffer a hugely disappointing part III... (either Superman III or Superman Returns - whichever you consider to be part III)

Being a huge fan of the Reeve films I did like Superman Returns (i think Empire were off on its ***** rating though, **** is more than enough) and wouldn't mind a 'wrath of khan' sequel with Routh and Singer (more action, no kid, recast Lois, brighter suit etc)…I know SR didn't do well as expected at the BO but it still out grossed Batman Begins and look what the sequel to that has done!…. Warners is probably at a cross roads right now - sequel with singer, sequel with another director, or total reboot with Miller....maybe a drastic reboot is needed and Singers film could be considered a one off homage….Millers idea does sound impressive (I guess Millers trilogy would split the 3 parts of Superman The Movie over 3 films) …in which case theyd need a new superman as I couldn't see them going with Routh for this…itd be like having Clooney for Batman Begins….(could keep the Williams theme to use at certain points though...although not all the time like in SR)...

or maybe they could go ahead with a sequel to SR...and keep Millers ideas for a reboot at some point in the future?

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 29/10/2008 11:27:30 PM >

(in reply to d0m_l)
Post #: 47
RE: RE: - 29/10/2008 10:50:00 PM   
Battan9000

Meh - Batman is a guy that dressess as a bat because his parents got shot. In the comics he wears tights and lives with a young boy.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 48
- 29/10/2008 10:59:29 PM   
supes2000

I agree with supermanfan about the dark knight and batman begins but i have to say i enjoyed superman returns and thought it was cool that it was linked to donners films but was hurt by not having a big baddie that could kick supes ass, i would like singer and brandon back but they need a serious baddie ie doomsday, although saying all that mark millers ideas have merit but not likely to come to fruition to risky.

Post #: 49
I enjoyed WANTED - 29/10/2008 11:02:47 PM   
boredbluekoala

However, if that is the best example of his original work then may I respectfully suggest he back away from Superman. Bryan Singer and Brandon Routh should be allowed to continue the stirling effort they put into Superman Returns, and build on it just like what was done with X-men and Batman Begins(which took less money at the box office on it's first go, but still got sequels) And Empire would agree with me, hell you gave Superman Returns a FIVE star review, which suggests that you thought it was Unmissable.

Post #: 50
RE: RE: - 29/10/2008 11:04:24 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

“I want to start on Krypton, a thousand years ago, and end with Superman alone on Planet Earth, the last being left on the planet, as the yellow sun turns red and starts to supernova, and he loses his powers."

it sounds like hes suggesting an almost Godfather III demise of Michael Corlone end to superman there.

(in reply to Battan9000)
Post #: 51
RE: RE: - 29/10/2008 11:18:54 PM   
KeithM

What is wrong with you SR fans?  Do you actually like mediocrity?

If the studios were ambitious enough, Millar's take could take Superman in the movies to a whole new level.  Go for it, I say.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 52
- 29/10/2008 11:20:10 PM   
uheiberg

Didn't we already call The Dark Knight the Godfather Part II of comic book films? The comparisons are getting kind of 'blah blah blah', y'know?

Post #: 53
God Damn It!!!! - 30/10/2008 12:40:41 AM   
DorianAsh

That was my idea for a grand Superman story, I thought of it a few years ago when I was trying to think of a story for if I ever got to write Superman (unlikely, but a geek can dream can't he?). Now I'll never get to do it as that rat bastard Millar got there first!

Post #: 54
creative differences - 30/10/2008 12:48:38 AM   
boriordan

"and end with Superman alone on Planet Earth, the last being left on the planet"
Well there's no way a studio are gonna let it end like that. They'll always want the possibility of more sequels.

Post #: 55
Millar stepped over the line... - 30/10/2008 2:05:57 AM   
leoscotty

Millar has every right to express his views on Superman, but he cant act as if he is taking over the franchise. He's misleading the fans with rumours that have been shut down at every angle. I think he is pretty talented, but I say,besides being contractually obligated,let Singer play it out...then give Millar a chance to blow us away,ya know!?

Post #: 56
- 30/10/2008 2:42:42 AM   
corywillis2004

have any of you read millar's take on Superman. He wrote the elseworlds title, red son. It was awesome. I say give him a chance to show us something new and epic. Better than the same old stuff, maybe it will be fresh and show us things we never would have thought of. Also, he probably wont make Superman throw a saran wrap plastic shield at a bad guy.

Post #: 57
No Matter What!!! KEEP ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!!! - 30/10/2008 3:33:44 AM   
ASonic77

No matter what happens, the studios have to keep Routh as Supeman. I also think they should let Singer play out what he wants to do with his "Wrath of Khan" sequel. If they really are gonna reboot, the studios could look at Superman Returns as a way to show people the new ERA of SUPERMAN to come. And Superman Returns was just for feedback. And the feedback is very positive. Even critics who were big on 'Returns' praised Routh as a great Superman. Just beef him up a little more. But let's get the ball rollin'- don't want to wait 'til 2012. Decide what to do, and get a great script, and get it out in thearters for Summer 2010. And then every other year after. First two films should be done back to back though. But no matter what happens-- KEEP BRANDON ROUTH !!!

Post #: 58
RE: No Matter What!!! KEEP ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!!! - 30/10/2008 4:00:16 AM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASonic77

And the feedback is very positive.

Oh really?  I take it you don't read the internet much then?

Feedback has been... mixed, to say the least.  Many, many people absolutely hated it.

(in reply to ASonic77)
Post #: 59
RE: No Matter What!!! KEEP ROUTH AS SUPERMAN!!!! - 30/10/2008 8:44:14 AM   
CORLEONE

Finally, someone looking to do a serious Superman. Good luck, Millar.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI