Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman - 29/10/2008 2:59:29 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Well... - 29/10/2008 2:59:29 PM   
chizmund

Alright then! But when the frick are we gonna find out who this director is?! It's been bugging me for some time!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 29/10/2008 3:09:51 PM   
rayhiggins

That's a good framework for a trilogy but please, please, please let Luthor have more character and motive than 'Money, money, money, give it to me'. He's possibly the worst represented big league comic book villain in film. Spacey and Hackman did their best with what they had.

Post #: 3
He's letting very little slip...! - 29/10/2008 3:10:10 PM   
ianrathbone

A slight tidbit over what we already knew!
I want more info dammit!!!

(nice work on the Cal-El fix Dan!)

Post #: 4
I heard......... - 29/10/2008 3:12:30 PM   
bigahoon

......somewhere that this director friend is Chris Columbus.

Post #: 5
Millar.... zzzzzzz - 29/10/2008 3:20:26 PM   
lisamoorish

I think we could all live without Millar writing Supes. All his characters have the same "voice" and, whilst he is big on grand ideas, the emotional heft carried by his writing is negligible. Everyone is so damn snarky and post-modern you don't give a toss about any of them (see any Ultimate book with MM's name on it).

I also think selling the WB on the above trilogy idea will be difficult -- have gambled and lost on Singer's vision for Returns they may just want a back-to-basics reboot: Supes' origin followed by Supes fighting new villains in successive epsiodes.

Post #: 6
The HMV advert on this page stinks - 29/10/2008 3:21:56 PM   
lisamoorish

'Greatest Ever Gangsters' boxset... with Taxi Driver included? Since when was Travis Bickle a gangster? FAIL.

Post #: 7
- 29/10/2008 3:24:08 PM   
Hughezy

sounds great! i just hope that Millar isn't friends with Rob Cohen

Post #: 8
bigHollywoodaction director...?? - 29/10/2008 3:41:59 PM   
peopleunderthestairs

5 bucks and my right nut say its either Brett Ratner or McG!!

Post #: 9
Cant wait - 29/10/2008 3:42:31 PM   
Freeze

This sounds great
Cant wait to find out more

Post #: 10
Sweeeeet - 29/10/2008 3:49:21 PM   
philsbabylon

Coolest...movie...idea.....ever!

Post #: 11
Ironic.... - 29/10/2008 3:56:12 PM   
Blunderbuss

Millar comparing his plan to the Godfather when Mario Puzo was credited as a writer on the first Superman movie back in the 70's...

Post #: 12
I don't think so... - 29/10/2008 3:57:47 PM   
Myths Scribe

I don't like this, not at all. of course, I'm not a fan of Millar's work in the first place so maybe I'm biased, but this just seems to downbeat to succeed. I do like the idea of exploring Krypton's past, but the rest of this just leaves me cold.

Post #: 13
- 29/10/2008 3:58:40 PM   
ilovekaren

thats the way it needs to go. get rid of the gung ho hero and do a dark knight with it. get out of the popcorn and give us sokmthing we can invest time in returns wasnt bad it just wasnt great . it needed so much more. singer did a good job but supes could be relevant get some terrorists other than luthor and other super baddies and lets have a big real life looking epic

Post #: 14
wow !! - 29/10/2008 4:01:44 PM   
waltham1979

couldnt be less enthusiastic if I tried !! comics were taken seriously before The Dark Knight and the reason Begins worked so well is we had not had a proper story on screen for the birth of Batman - we had for Superman so why go back and do it again ?? I like the idea - as previous threads - of making Supe's films like Bond (stand alone films as opposed to episodic) but this just reaks a little of desperation from Millers part to get hold of the movie.

I liked what Singer did - he is an excellent director - let him have the sequel !!

I'm all for having an epic Superman film - but lets bring back the pop-corn, bring back the wow factor for Superman and christ on a rubber-crutch if can we please stop saying "lets do The Dark Knight for (fill in superhero name here)"

< Message edited by waltham1979 -- 29/10/2008 4:04:25 PM >

Post #: 15
NO to Millar! YES to Singer/Routh - 29/10/2008 4:05:11 PM   
blueyes

Eww...Millar....again...LOL!

What is Millar smoking now??! He is out of his mind. And NO, I don't want this clown helming the Superman franchise, at all. I HATE his ideas; he is so arrogant and has no class. 

And I also LOVE Superman Returns;  I especially liked  how Bryan Singer took the subject seriously; he showed a lot of respect for the legend that is Superman.  And Brandon Routh proved to be the the right choice to embody this wonderful character.  Bring him back, WB!  I so wish they made a sequel to this film; a lot of people liked SR, it only needed some more action, according to some people.  Don't blow it, WB, this film has so much potential for even bigger and more exciting sequels. 

But please keep Millar away from this franchise!  I think his ideas for Supes are all weird.  Singer is so much better.  Let him do his sequel!

< Message edited by blueyes -- 30/10/2008 7:48:23 AM >

Post #: 16
- 29/10/2008 4:06:51 PM   
UTB

The reason Superman Returns wasn't very good is because IT WASN'T ANY FUCKING FUN (apart from Spacey).

Darker is not the way forward.

Post #: 17
- 29/10/2008 4:17:41 PM   
lukeyboy

Aaaaaw,...he sounds like an excited kid "....and it'll start a thousand years ago, and he'll be reeeeealllly old and lose his powers when the lellow sun turns red"

Gotta say though,...i'd watch it!

P.S: peopleunderthestairs,....I bet my right nut, it's Michael Bay!

Post #: 18
RE: Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman - 29/10/2008 4:18:38 PM   
ryecatcher

Millar - "Go FUCK yourself", what a shit idea.

Post #: 19
Just wait a minute! - 29/10/2008 4:21:15 PM   
olixander

This actually sounds like a good idea in principle, and who is this mysterious Director everyone is talking about? If it is being hushed up sooo much he must be fairly good. If its Christopher Nolan, I'm going to drown in my own salivation.
Why is everyone so negative about this anyway? This at the very least is going to be a good insight into the entire existence of superman, and no decent big comic book movie has ever shown the demise of an icon. The Death of Superman sounds very promising indeed.

Post #: 20
RE: wow !! - 29/10/2008 4:22:56 PM   
blueyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

couldnt be less enthusiastic if I tried !! comics were taken seriously before The Dark Knight and the reason Begins worked so well is we had not had a proper story on screen for the birth of Batman - we had for Superman so why go back and do it again ?? I like the idea - as previous threads - of making Supe's films like Bond (stand alone films as opposed to episodic) but this just reaks a little of desperation from Millers part to get hold of the movie.

I liked what Singer did - he is an excellent director - let him have the sequel !!

YES!!  Agreed! 

Superman The Movie is a wonderful origin film that STILL works!  We don't need another origin movie just yet, it's too soon.  What Superman NEEDS is a SEQUEL with more action aka with a really powerful supervillain for Supes to fight like we've never seen before!   This is what general audiences really want to see.  He needs to go cosmic!  Superman is not dark, he is fantasy, light, hope.  They should make his villains dark, not Supes himself.  The GP won't buy a dark Superman!  They are used to nice and wholesome Supes.

Make it 'Brainiac' please! Or Darkseid, Mongul, Parasite, Zod, Doomsday! A combination of two!  But do it soon, please.  We, the fans, REALLY want to see Superman aka Brandon Routh back in action on the big screen like now!  Check the link on my sig and you'll see. 

< Message edited by blueyes -- 30/10/2008 7:58:59 AM >

Brandon Routh Fan Forum:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Brandon_Routh

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 21
RE: Just wait a minute! - 29/10/2008 4:25:46 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Another movie that, with Superman alone as the earth dies, seems to add to the roster of fun-free blockbusters!!!

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to olixander)
Post #: 22
This.... - 29/10/2008 4:28:36 PM   
Bruce Vain

reminds me of what made the first Donner movie so great (it was three movies in one: sci-fi, homely coming-of-age story and comic book movie). Only now stretching that out over multiple movies. Could be epic and groundbreaking or a complete embarrassment.

Post #: 23
Interesting...but not for Superman - 29/10/2008 4:55:22 PM   
bronco3114

Like the idea a lot actually though for similar reasons to most can't see it working for Superman. I supposed to get something like that made/funded would need to be attached to a major icon like Superman so I'll have to say it sounds unlikely. Maybe attach it to Union another Super hero who started life originaly as Image comics Superman rip off but evolved into a not too bad character in his own right.

Post #: 24
Brian Singer is a Fraud. - 29/10/2008 5:07:06 PM   
mightyhypnotoad

I'm sorry but telling Mark Millar to fuck himself because you don't like his Idea is a little bit childish is it not?

Brian Singer has made exactly 1 good film: The usual Suspects. The only reason it was any good was because of Christopher Mcquarries intelligent script. Way of the Gun McQuarries follow up and first forray into the directors chair proved that.

The X-men films were awfull Singer seems to turn everything he touches into a thinley veiled platform for gay rights. Now I believe in equal rights for people however Comic Book movies are not the time or place. Do you know that Superman didn't once punch anything in Superman Returns? What the hell man?

Millars vision for Superman sounds fantastic to me but mabey that's because I'm a fellow Scot who'se grown up in one of the most miserable countries north of the equator. Mabey it's because unrelentingly grim sci fi flicks like Sunshine, Outlander, and Alien 3 (assembly cut) are my reason d'etre or mabey it's just because I want people to realise that Brian singer is a one hit wonder and should be consigned to the trash just like Michael Bay and M Night Shayamalan.

Post #: 25
RE: Brian Singer is a Fraud. - 29/10/2008 5:20:28 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: mightyhypnotoad

I'm sorry but telling Mark Millar to fuck himself because you don't like his Idea is a little bit childish is it not?

Brian Singer has made exactly 1 good film: The usual Suspects. The only reason it was any good was because of Christopher Mcquarries intelligent script. Way of the Gun McQuarries follow up and first forray into the directors chair proved that.

The X-men films were awfull Singer seems to turn everything he touches into a thinley veiled platform for gay rights. Now I believe in equal rights for people however Comic Book movies are not the time or place. Do you know that Superman didn't once punch anything in Superman Returns? What the hell man?

Millars vision for Superman sounds fantastic to me but mabey that's because I'm a fellow Scot who'se grown up in one of the most miserable countries north of the equator. Mabey it's because unrelentingly grim sci fi flicks like Sunshine, Outlander, and Alien 3 (assembly cut) are my reason d'etre or mabey it's just because I want people to realise that Brian singer is a one hit wonder and should be consigned to the trash just like Michael Bay and M Night Shayamalan.

you see I really like Singer, X1 & 2, Sunshine, Outlander, Alien3, Mickey Bay and Shamalangerdingdong! (I have forgotten for this argument that The Happening was actually made and I gotta tell yer, ignorance is bliss ) but I agree the fuck himself comment was a wee bit childish.

Gotta disagree that comic books adaptations can't have some depth to them or political context (the whole point of the original X-men comics was about a group of people spurned and outcast from society) as long as its not completely in your face BUT I agree we do need to see Supe's punch something ... I am going to bang the "superman to be punched through a couple of buildings" drum again !!!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to mightyhypnotoad)
Post #: 26
RE: Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman - 29/10/2008 5:29:01 PM   
BatFan

Don't like the sound of this. The series ending with the earth being destroyed and Superman losing his powers.
Superman is supposed to represent hope and be eternal. In no way should this be the Superman story we see.
Plus the LOTR style trilogy idea I don't think fits in with WB's plans to do a JLA film and have at least one film for each JLA member.
Lastly, just because Mark Millar writes good comic books does not mean he can write a good film. Film writing and Comic book writing are two very different things.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

Post #: 27
RE: Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman - 29/10/2008 5:41:10 PM   
mafyou

Well I don't think there is an awful lot to go on at the moment and if it did happen things would most certainly change. To be honest, I really like Superman Returns. I will just be happy to see a new Superman film, whoever it's by.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 28
- 29/10/2008 5:41:37 PM   
The Gaffer

why the fuck can't he just name the director?

Post #: 29
RE: Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman - 29/10/2008 5:49:09 PM   
Beno

This could work but would not hit screens for 4 to 5 years minimum , if they got it off the ground soon . The Russian who did Wanted is my guess as 'Director' which could work also .
Just keep it separate from the next Supes sequel which should be Singer allowed to go X2 on its ass .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Exclusive: Mark Millar Talks Superman Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI