Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Exclusive: Empire Star Trek Cover

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Exclusive: Empire Star Trek Cover Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exclusive: Empire Star Trek Cover - 28/10/2008 2:17:24 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Just like heat magazine - 28/10/2008 2:17:24 PM   
hairbymaurice

Using modern stars to create classic photos, you have had about as much success too!, too much foundation and/or cover up for me.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Just like heat magazine - 28/10/2008 2:26:44 PM   
hairbymaurice

Using modern stars to create classic photos, you have had about as much success too!, too much foundation and/or cover up for me.

Post #: 3
THAT's the next cover? - 28/10/2008 2:33:54 PM   
kiasan

I am so sad to see that you chose a boring Star Trek image, which surely will saturate many more covers before its 2009 release, over a tribute cover to Paul Newman. It was a chance to honor a legend and not giving him the cover is sacrilege. "Paul Newman remembered"? That's it?
Paul Newman brought more to film than a summer blockbuster ever will. Fanboys have plenty of their own magazines, you are supposed to be a proper film magazine. Shame on you.

Post #: 4
Your camera angle is a bit off - 28/10/2008 2:33:56 PM   
Karl Crutchley

Not bad though. I admit I had a few doubts about the casting until I saw the photos on the Star Trek movie website. Old Sylar & Eomer are dead ringers for Spock & McCoy!!

Post #: 5
- 28/10/2008 2:40:52 PM   
UTB

I'm not a huge Star Trek nerd, but I'm pretty sure Kirk and Spock weren't lovers?

Post #: 6
- 28/10/2008 2:49:11 PM   
The Gaffer

Hey,wow...looking forard to this issue going by what it says on the cover.

Post #: 7
RE: THAT's the next cover? - 28/10/2008 3:07:51 PM   
livewire

quote:

ORIGINAL: kiasan

I am so sad to see that you chose a boring Star Trek image, which surely will saturate many more covers before its 2009 release, over a tribute cover to Paul Newman. It was a chance to honor a legend and not giving him the cover is sacrilege. "Paul Newman remembered"? That's it?
Paul Newman brought more to film than a summer blockbuster ever will. Fanboys have plenty of their own magazines, you are supposed to be a proper film magazine. Shame on you.

Not really fussed on the cover one way or the other. I would however like to point out that there have be a number of serious contenders for memorial covers this year and none of the got them. There do however tend to be some quite good articles inside the covers on the late stars.

Roy Schneider
Stan Winston
Heath Ledger

To name but a mere few.

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to kiasan)
Post #: 8
RE: THAT's the next cover? - 28/10/2008 3:13:29 PM   
humpstonjohn

I feel i have to support the views of the poster,Kiasan, that it was just another reason to put cash before class. Its a wonder you didnt bring out multiple covers again,Collect Kirk! Collect Spock! Collect Random Guy in Red Uniform who buys it in the first 5 mins!
A proper tribute to Paul Newman would have been a cover and an extensive article in side. But god forbide you'd actually write something in Empire anymore. The magazine,and website, I add has just become a paste and copy rag, pulling stories from Coming Soon & Aint it cool news sometimes 2 or 3 days after the metioned websites, and the magazine is being filled with lazy pieces about D list Starlets, puff pieces like How much is a pint of Milk ( who cares, its a movie mag, not Hello),and then when you've run out of these gems, another lazy  poll. This time its 100 top Characters. Are you checking to see if Jimmy Carr is available to present it. Whats next? Top 50 opening Movie monkeys? Let me guess, will Star Wars win that too. An opportunity to show some class and writing skill missed. One of these days, while you're sittiing around your Office doing nothing( well you're not writing anything of substance) flick thru a back issue of lets say 5 years ago, and remember how good you used to be.  

john humpston

(in reply to kiasan)
Post #: 9
RE: THAT's the next cover? - 28/10/2008 3:32:08 PM   
jackcarter

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 28/10/2008 3:47:35 PM >

(in reply to humpstonjohn)
Post #: 10
RE: THAT's the next cover? - 28/10/2008 3:38:25 PM   
jackcarter

maybe this means that the trailer will be attached to Quantum in the UK in 3 days time!!! (as its been verified its to be attached with bond in the US for Nov 14)

oh and pay no attention to the naysayers empire who are crying out for a Paul Newman cover...they just dont like startrek (but will have probably bought the dvd around this time next year) 

if you want a Paul Newman cover why not track down one of  newmans in the 100 covers ?? im sure he featured on a couple 

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 28/10/2008 3:49:45 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: THAT's the next cover? - 28/10/2008 3:53:14 PM   
humpstonjohn

Actually he's not on any of the covers! its shocking isn't it. But Sci Fi is well represented cos we all know how up in arms you fan boys can get if you're not represented fairly. But its another exsample of catering to the geeks who just love to have those collectable's to show off to the kind of people who think movies startedwithStar Wars - a movie I love, its just i'm not 12 anymore and my appreciation of good scripts, directing and acting has out grown the hack for hire Lucas. Star Wars is not the greatest movie of all time  - fact.

john humpston

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 12
RE: THAT's the next cover? - 28/10/2008 4:00:34 PM   
humpstonjohn

Actually he's not on any of the covers, another example of the dropping standards of Empire. But the Sci Fi fans were well represented.We all know how you can up in arms if you feel youre being ignored. How you love to collect. its part of the geek DNA. and you're right, I dont like Star Trek, its Crossroads in Space, down to the wodden acting and plastic sets( or it that the right way round) but I do appreciate Star Wars, but I'm not 12 anymore and while i can still enjoy them, my world and taste doesn't begin and end with Star Wars. But as long as Empire keeps catering to the kind of people who vote in these polls and accept these low standards, they'll keep rolling out these lazy issues.

john humpston

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 13
RE: THAT's the next cover? - 28/10/2008 4:09:45 PM   
Mock Tudor

quote:

"Paul Newman remembered"? That's it?
Paul Newman brought more to film than a summer blockbuster ever will.

Be happy that he got any mention at all. The deaths of Anthony Minghella and Charlton Heston were completely ignored by Empire.

But of course none of those three have made anything like as big a contribution to Cinema as Heath Ledger, who apparently became the greatest actor ever exactly at the time of his death. Very bad luck, that.

(in reply to kiasan)
Post #: 14
For f.... - 28/10/2008 4:14:21 PM   
skeletonjack

....A Star Trek cover? Just change the name to Starburst and be done with it.

Post #: 15
RE: For f.... - 28/10/2008 4:17:08 PM   
jackcarter

LOL all the trek haters are chiming in

too late Empire has done a trek cover and thats that

enjoy.

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 16
RE: For f.... - 28/10/2008 4:38:14 PM   
humpstonjohn

yeah, but i''ve kissed a member of the opposite sex, and unlike you when I buy thelarge popcorn and large drink, i've someone to shareit with. 
The reason God invented the Comic Book Conferences is so you wouldn't have to bother real cinema fans and normal people, and so someone would actually talk to you. Think on that when you're falling asleep tonight in your XXL next generation T Shirt staring at your limited edition 7 of 9 statue.

john humpston

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 17
RE: For f.... - 28/10/2008 4:44:21 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: humpstonjohn

yeah, but i''ve kissed a member of the opposite sex, and unlike you when I buy thelarge popcorn and large drink, i've someone to shareit with. 
The reason God invented the Comic Book Conferences is so you wouldn't have to bother real cinema fans and normal people, and so someone would actually talk to you. Think on that when you're falling asleep tonight in your XXL next generation T Shirt staring at your limited edition 7 of 9 statue.

Awesome! We're on to the spectacular generalisation.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 18
RE: For f.... - 28/10/2008 4:50:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

So the Darth Maul picture is some sort of post ironic comment?

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 28/10/2008 4:51:10 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 19
RE: For f.... - 28/10/2008 4:50:56 PM   
omegaman1

your mum dosn't count as a member of the opposite sex lmao!!!!!!!!! darth maul humpston lol

Post #: 20
RE: For f.... - 28/10/2008 4:51:53 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

Little ironic given your avatar mate dontcha think?

Another month and another bitching session about who or what's on the cover. Maybe all future issues should just have a plain white cover with the Empire logo and issue number and nothing else. They could have the logo a different colour each month for a bit of variety. But even then we'd probably still get complaints like "That's the third time in a year it's been green - and different shades aren't an excuse!"

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 28/10/2008 4:53:08 PM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Post #: 21
RE: For f.... - 28/10/2008 4:54:05 PM   
Latex Zebra

I think Empire should do a special one off magazine paying tribute to all the dead actors this year.
It'll be a weighty tome as they've been dropping like flies this year.
Trek on the cover will sell more copies to the people Empire want buying the magazine than Paul Newman would.
At least the tribute issue is another money spinner.

Did you see the size of that godamn Chicken?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 22
Gay Trek - 28/10/2008 4:58:21 PM   
losthighway

As a gay man, can I just say this new Star Trek is looking great! ;) I was a fan of the orignal movies years ago but have not seen them for ages. Zachary is hot as Sylar and now in this, even with those pointy ears and dodgy eyebrows, he is still gorgeous. As for the other bloke playing Kirk - cute! Hell, this might actually be worth a trip to the cinema... :)

Post #: 23
Wow... - 28/10/2008 5:00:36 PM   
presidentcletus

That, um... doesn't really look like Spock. Which is weird, because I thought Quinto would completely engross the character and Pine was mis-cast, but it seems, the tables have turned. He just looks too pasty and made-up. Like a pre-pubescent Spock. I still have faith though.

Post #: 24
RE: Wow... - 28/10/2008 5:07:09 PM   
DouglasG

Personally, I've been buying Empire for 3 years, and in my opinion, its one of, if not the most unattractive, boring covers I've seen.
The weird blue background is really unappealing, and I'm just overall very dissapointed. I think I got the point across that I'm not a massive fan of Star Trek, but if you were to use a better picture from the film I don't think I'd feel so embarrased going into WHSmiths and buying it.

Journalism Student and Film Festival Programmer

(in reply to presidentcletus)
Post #: 25
RE: For f.... - 28/10/2008 5:07:46 PM   
humpstonjohn

i suppose its a bit rich what i'm saying considering the Darth Maul Avatar - is that what its called- but as i said, I like Star wars and when I was setting up my account, it was the only one  i liked, i'm sorry if i didnt have time to upload a girl tossing her hair or try to look hard and post a picture from  a Micheal Caine flick. I didnt even put up a quote, dear lord how can these small liitle mistakes give me the right to state an opinion.
As for putting all these dead stars on covers, if you think Heath Ledger can be compared to Paul Newman because he put in one excellant performance, then you deserve what the magazine has turned into. in fact ive changed my mind, i'm glad he didnt get the cover cos if the're putting people on the cover who's biggest previous contribution to cinema is the Princess Diaries 2, then they are welcome to it!!!

Good Night and Good Luck!

john humpston

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 26
Nowt like it! - 28/10/2008 5:58:59 PM   
apemail

Sorry but your angles nad lighting are all to pot, the original pic is much more dramatic! Try harder!

Post #: 27
Great Idea for a 99p fancy dress costume! - 28/10/2008 6:00:57 PM   
Funk

But not for a expensive hollywood blockbuster! Spock looks like he has a fake face and wig on and 'kirk' well dont know he just looks 90s!

Post #: 28
..... - 28/10/2008 6:36:51 PM   
mozzy_gal

-Yawn-

Post #: 29
Hmmm... - 28/10/2008 6:49:36 PM   
Noelg25

Well I honestly thought Mr Quinto would actually nail the look as a Leonard Nimoy lookalike for Spock...but WTF have they done to him??? His face looks so...erm...well..plasticised (if that can be a word). As for Chris Pine, I cant really comment on him cos I have never seen him in anything else. I certainly hope the film turns out to be excellent...but they need to improve the looks on the characters at least...especially on Spock...way too much make up man...logical or not!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Exclusive: Empire Star Trek Cover Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI