Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gran Torino - 23/10/2008 11:22:48 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Gran Torino - 25/10/2008 6:17:16 PM   
Ethanial

Clint Eastwood is Batman aged 78.
Looks either hysterically bad or a funny take on these kinds of film, shame to see Eastwood doing this after such great films, but perhaps the trailer is just crap.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Gran Torino - 25/10/2008 8:17:15 PM   
Timon

So this is what happened when Dirty Harry retired.......

Looks entertaining enough, always good to see Clint kicking ass and taking names.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 3
Clint Still has it - 30/10/2008 9:32:49 AM   
moosebuger

Looking forward to this film because its seems to have the wit and lone figure status which made Clint famous back in the day...and I am sure it will have a bit more weight after his string of accomplished outings.

Post #: 4
RE: Clint Still has it - 1/11/2008 4:14:15 PM   
kayschmoe

Clint Eastwood is looking incredibly badass considering his age. Looking forward to this one!

- I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.
www.filmbyen.no

(in reply to moosebuger)
Post #: 5
No, Clint, no! - 2/12/2008 5:29:34 AM   
kirk1973

The sad demise of a once virile man... Judging from this awful trailer all we are gonna get is a badly scripted piece of schlock with cheap gags based around Clint's age and some growling and grimacing that will amount to a big heap of embarrassment - stop Mr. Eastwood! Don't tarnish your legendary status any more!

Although saying that... It might be really fun and I'll probably see it anyway (now who's the fool?).

Post #: 6
- 3/1/2009 3:54:39 PM   
stephenhickman2

Saw this today and while it is very good, there is some very bad actinf from the two kids, just not believable at all. Clint was awesome tho. 3 out of 5 from me.

Post #: 7
nice - 8/1/2009 2:54:05 PM   
komic book guy

seen it
liked it
strong clint acting
4 out of 5

Post #: 8
Gran Torino: Loan me your car, you old bastard!! - 10/1/2009 7:54:25 PM   
JoseJones

This film is really about self reflection and how an older man can still make a vital and important influence on people he may not under 'normal' cicumstances have any interaction. The story does not lean entirely upon Clint, and the ensemble is not what one would expect. In my city there are a lot of Hmong people, and the Hmong boys are terribly bullied at school and on the way home from school. Every school principal has taken steps to protect Hmong children from this abuse in the past 2 to 3 years. The gang influence is also prevelent here, however, I don't think there are Hmong gangs here. Nonetheless, Hmong teens have a tought time in my city, especially young men. Many of the social norms that Hmong people have are quite similar to Native Americans, such as not looking one in the eye, being quiet especially around anyone older, and being calm and passive in demeanor. In urban schools this behavior is often interpreted as being "weak" or "infererior" and kids do lash out by incorrectly assuming that this behavior implies weakness, which it does not. This aspect did make it into this film which I thought was fascinating. This film is thought provoking and it does not really stand alongside of "Dirty Harry" films. Why are there so many comparisons? I find that perplexing. This character is a real flesh and blood tough old man, who is going to let you know who what when where and why you are full of crap. It's an awesome character. And a touching and important film. It is also, despite it's use of foul language, an important way to discuss many urban issues concerning getting along with people, and caring about your neighbors, etc. I give this one 4.5 stars.

Post #: 9
poor - 18/1/2009 2:45:07 AM   
gordon_m_b

was really not impressed by this movie. i saw the trailer, it looked ok, but the acting is poor (even on clints part-- only so much grunting i can take before it irritates) very shoddy, obvious, and uninspired script. i was unimpressed, but still go urself and make up ur own mind, no doubt ill get back lash for sayin this, but he has truely lost his touch

Post #: 10
Classic Eastwood - 18/1/2009 1:24:23 PM   
sonofjor-el

This is NOT a vigilante movie, as some people keep claiming on here. It has Eastwood's usual theme of redemption running thoughout, and his views on modern, and the very evil society we currently live in. Hits the nail on the head about todays world though. Ignorant, arrogant,, and lawless. Four stars from myself, would probably have been five had the central performance from the young actor playing tao (?) not been so weak.

Post #: 11
legend - 25/1/2009 1:04:14 PM   
Dirty_harry

the man is a legend.if i'm still working at 78(!!!) then something isn't right. Heck, if i'm still alive at 78
i'll be suprised.THE GOOD,THE BAD AND THE UGLY.....one of the best films of all time. why even PINK CADILLAC was ok

Post #: 12
Typical East-masterpiece-wood - 14/2/2009 12:01:59 AM   
m_er

Excellent. Great entertainment, great script, Clint did it again. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Sod off the negativ review. I hugely recommend it. I LOVE THIS MAN eh, great direcor and actor.

Post #: 13
RE: Typical East-masterpiece-wood - 14/2/2009 12:11:08 AM   
m_er

Excellent. Great entertainment, great script, Clint did it again. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Sod off the negativ review. I hugely recommend it. I LOVE THIS MAN eh, great direcor and actor.

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 14
RE: Typical East-masterpiece-wood - 19/2/2009 1:03:54 AM   
TheGodfather

Saw it today, here`s my review:

Gran Torino
Not a lot of directors release 2 fims within 6 months of each other, and if they do then not often are they as great as the films that the 79 year old living legend Clint Eastwood gives us. Did we got Changeling a few months back, now we get his next gem: Gran Torino.

The story centers around the retired Walt Kowalski (played by Eastwood himself), a bittered man who`s scarred by everything he had witnessed in his lifetime. He just lost his wife and he tries to make the best of it now, living in a neighbourhood mostly populated with Korean people, the people he hates the most.
When he, in the middle of the night, saves the boy from next door from a gang, he suddenly is the neighbourhood hero. A hero for the people so wants to have nothing to do with...

As was the case with Changeling, what we see here again isn`t too visually innovative. But it`s so well made. The story is great and touching. Eastwood turns Kowalski into a beautiful man, one who really saw a lot of the world and saw a lot happened to him and the people around him. He wants to enjoy the peace of his retirement, he complains to everyone. Nowhere though, this is over the top or annoying. The transformation that he goes through is excellently portrayed, at one point you can even see him enjoying himself. Something you really wouldn`t have thought at the beginning of the film.

Eastwood said that this was going to be his last part as an actor. You can look at his character here as a kind of summary of a few of his previous performances that went into retirement. You can really see "Dirty" Harry Callahan living in one of those typical American suburbs, trying to enjoy the time he has still left on this planet.

It`s great to see how Eastwood made a film that at first sight looks so simpel and predictable and yet is so impressive.
With Gran Torino, the living legend delivers once again a brilliant film.
Hopefully for us, not his last.

9,0/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 15
RE: Gran Torino - 21/2/2009 9:36:54 PM   
chaseng25fa

This movie is one of Eastwoods best movies for a long time, his portrail of a veteran living in a community of gangs and people who no longer appreciate their neighbourhoods is priceless.  His direction and vision is brilliant and his story so moving this picture is a true gem that desrves to be seen over and over again.  If you think twice about seeing this picture then you are missing out on a great movie

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Gran Torino Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI