Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The London Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The London Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The London Thread - 6/7/2009 2:40:41 PM   
Goodfella

Afternoon fellow Londoners.

Anyone know a good Indian restaurant near Shaftesbury Avenue? The reason I ask is it looks like I'm going to the Thriller musical later this month as a replacement for the Michael Jackson concert and myself and the mother have decided a good curry is in order.

If you can't think of any Indian restaurants, any other good eateries that spring to mind are more than welcome?

Thanks.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 121
RE: The London Thread - 6/7/2009 2:51:44 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Anyone know a good Indian restaurant near Shaftesbury Avenue? The reason I ask is it looks like I'm going to the Thriller musical later this month as a replacement for the Michael Jackson concert and myself and the mother have decided a good curry is in order.

If you can't think of any Indian restaurants, any other good eateries that spring to mind are more than welcome?

Thanks.

This place is unbelievable -

http://www.punjab.co.uk/

One of the best meals I have ever had. Michael Gambon was sat on the table next to us too. You may have to book, as its very small, but its not expensive and is a place you will probably revisit many times.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 122
RE: The London Thread - 6/7/2009 2:53:33 PM   
Sinatra

Hi mate, I'ma city boy, but I swear by this site for all restaurant needs:

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/landmark/Lyric_Theatre

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 123
RE: The London Thread - 6/7/2009 2:54:46 PM   
Goodfella

Appreciated Sinatra.

Square reviewed us the other night so it'll be interesting to see what they say as well.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 124
RE: The London Thread - 6/7/2009 2:55:24 PM   
JessFranco

There's a branch of Rasa at Charlotte Street. It's not far from Shaftesbury Ave. I've not been to that one but the chain is exemplary.

< Message edited by JessFranco -- 6/7/2009 2:56:03 PM >

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 125
RE: The London Thread - 6/7/2009 2:56:36 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Thanks.

One of the best meals I have ever had. Michael Gambon was sat on the table next to us too. You may have to book, as its very small, but its not expensive and is a place you will probably revisit many times.

That looks very good quality and reasonble to boot as well.

Cheers mate, that's topping the list at the moment.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 126
RE: The London Thread - 6/7/2009 3:01:17 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

Appreciated Sinatra.

Square reviewed us the other night so it'll be interesting to see what they say as well.

Us? Now you're going to have to expand on that statement....

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 127
RE: The London Thread - 6/7/2009 3:04:45 PM   
Goodfella

Union Square Bar and Restaurant at the o2, where I work. It replaced Raan which used to be down there, right next to the main entrance to the o2 arena.

Our first "reviews" night was an absolute shocker, we got creamed because the kitchen totally fucked up, that badly that the head chef was promptly fired. The other night we had Square, Metro, Telegraphy Guide, Guardian, Venue Magazine amongst others in, all in one go. It was fun.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 128
RE: The London Thread - 6/7/2009 3:43:03 PM   
Sinatra

Bloody hell, now that's pressure.... I've never been to the O2.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 129
RE: The London Thread - 6/7/2009 4:08:04 PM   
Goodfella

It's too expensive to eat and drink there unless you're using the arenas or the cinema. In our place a pint is £4.20, mixers are anywhere between £6 and £12 and the wine and champagne list is extensive and extremely expensive with some topping £1600. The food isn't too bad as long as you're not a rib eye steak kind of guy otherwise you're looking at the best part of £40 for the main alone!

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 130
RE: The London Thread - 6/7/2009 4:13:29 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

The food isn't too bad as long as you're not a rib eye steak kind of guy otherwise you're looking at the best part of £40 for the main alone!

I kid you not, that is my favourite main course... I nearly always order a decent steak if it's on the menu.
Thanks for the tip though.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 131
RE: The London Thread - 6/7/2009 4:27:38 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: JessFranco

There's a branch of Rasa at Charlotte Street. It's not far from Shaftesbury Ave. I've not been to that one but the chain is exemplary.

I've been to that Rasa and it's great. I should go back soon actually.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 132
RE: The London Thread - 6/7/2009 4:28:56 PM   
Goodfella

Well rib eye steak is £38!

Restaurants and bars in the o2, anything from Nandos and Pizza Express, to the two fine dining restaurants, us and Gaucho, can essentially charge what they like. If you're coming to an event night you're isolated down there, you can't just walk down the road and pop to McDonalds or a cafe, there's a Fuellers pub nearby but that's a good twenty minute walk.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 133
RE: The London Thread - 10/7/2009 3:09:31 PM   
JessFranco

Any info on the fire in Dean Street? We can smell it a kilometre away on the Strand.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 134
RE: The London Thread - 22/7/2009 5:35:48 PM   
Goodfella

Went to The Narrow pub in Limehouse this afternoon, Gordon Ramsay's place, and it's very good. I'm a big GR fan so I'm likely to say that but it's a lovely atmosphere, great riverside view, extensive wine and beer list and the food is quite impressive for fairly simple, British traditional food. They do an impressive selection of tap ales and lagers including Leffe and Peroni. Prices aren't too bad either for London and GR, food is anywhere between £6 and £25, wine per glass is around £5 and beer/lager is around £4. I reccomend it to anyone who's interested.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 135
RE: The London Thread - 22/7/2009 5:51:48 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

Any info on the fire in Dean Street? We can smell it a kilometre away on the Strand.

I was on Dury Lane and you could smell it there as well. Not nice at all.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 136
RE: The London Thread - 22/7/2009 6:42:00 PM   
OddCinema

Whoa, there's a London thread?

That's all really. Debating whether to get a Cineworld card or not, as it'll mean travelling into London to use it. Hmm...

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 137
RE: The London Thread - 22/7/2009 7:59:14 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

quote:

I was on Dury Lane and you could smell it there as well. Not nice at all.

I must have been in the O'Neils on Great Queen Street having a few Orange Sherbets as I kind of missed this. That or it was a really insignificant fire...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 138
RE: The London Thread - 22/7/2009 8:22:01 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: OddCinema

That's all really. Debating whether to get a Cineworld card or not, as it'll mean travelling into London to use it. Hmm...

There is!

I have a Cineworld card and they are very much worth it, I go to the cineworld in West India Quay.

(in reply to OddCinema)
Post #: 139
RE: The London Thread - 22/7/2009 10:00:59 PM   
OddCinema

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: OddCinema

There is!

I have a Cineworld card and they are very much worth it, I go to the cineworld in West India Quay.

WIQ is alright then? I thought about getting one when I lived in Leeds, but the nearest was Bradford and one visit was enough.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 140
RE: The London Thread - 22/7/2009 10:23:01 PM   
Rinc

I should get a Cineworld card as well as i mainly go to the same Cineworld as you Goodfella.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to OddCinema)
Post #: 141
RE: The London Thread - 22/7/2009 11:58:57 PM   
OddCinema

It's been a while since I went drinking in the city - are there ANY good pubs left?

By good I mean - quiz machine, no city-suit jobs, cider that won't mean promising one of my limbs to the barkeep.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 142
RE: The London Thread - 13/8/2009 3:28:17 PM   
Goodfella

Did anybody know there was another postal strike in London yesterday, I only just found out?

I know this because my tickets for the Hartlepool and Orient matches have yet to arrive despite being sent first class from the club at the beginning of the week, I rang Charlton and they told me about it.

Frustrating, but I support the postal workers and their actions.

(in reply to OddCinema)
Post #: 143
RE: The London Thread - 13/8/2009 4:10:22 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Thanks.

Okay, I've just sorted out going to this place in a couple of weeks with a couple of mates on your recommedation so it'd better be good

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 144
RE: The London Thread - 13/8/2009 4:16:10 PM   
Rinc

quote:

Did anybody know there was another postal strike in London yesterday, I only just found out?

I know this because my tickets for the Hartlepool and Orient matches have yet to arrive despite being sent first class from the club at the beginning of the week, I rang Charlton and they told me about it.

I found out last night when watching the news, didn't really affect me as i'm not waiting for anything in the post but was surprised it had happened and i hadn't heard. Maybe i just haven't read The Metro enough lately!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 145
RE: The London Thread - 14/8/2009 10:09:59 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

I found out last night when watching the news, didn't really affect me as i'm not waiting for anything in the post but was surprised it had happened and i hadn't heard. Maybe i just haven't read The Metro enough lately!

I think it was just for the day on Wednesday and it must have been unplanned, I know there were planned ones that took place last Thursday and Friday because they put up notices about it in New Cross PO.

I prefer the Evening Standard, I know it costs but it's just so much better...

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 146
RE: The London Thread - 14/8/2009 10:16:18 AM   
BishopQuaker

I'm in the Big Smoke Monday - Friday of next week.

Wish me luck...

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 147
RE: The London Thread - 14/8/2009 10:18:26 AM   
Goodfella

Good luck.

What are you around for BQ?

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 148
RE: The London Thread - 14/8/2009 10:25:06 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: BishopQuaker

Wish me luck...

We don't bite you know   We'll just point and laugh at your funny accent

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 149
RE: The London Thread - 14/8/2009 11:18:47 AM   
BishopQuaker

I'm coming down for a bit of a touristy holiday with my sis and bro-in-law.
Been looking forward to Avenue Q for ages.

If I'm free at any point we should pick a pub and have a couple of "jars" or whatever it is you strange people call pints!

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The London Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI