Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The London Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The London Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The London Thread - 14/4/2009 9:32:10 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

London has some very good comic book shops, a lot of diversity in terms of products and all with very helpful staff.  I went to NYC a couple of months back and I was expecting to be wowed by the range of comic book stores but most of them were not that impressive (apart from Jim Hanley and Midtown). 

So I would reccomend any of the stores in central London around TCR: Comicana (for back issues), Orbital (good mix of back issues, new stuff, and graphic novels), GOSH (great selection of graphic novels, and a lot of European/niche stuff too), and Forbidden Planet (pretty much every new comic and graphic novel under the sun, plus loads of other memorabilia on the ground floor).

There are other stores further out too, honourable mentions to Krypton Komics (excellant selection of back issues in Walthamstow); Avalon (good all round store in Battersea); 30th Century Comics (first rate collection of very rare backs issues located in Richmond), and Mega-City Comics (another good store with a little bit of everything, good location in Camden Town).  There are other stores in and around London, but I havent been to all of them.  Oh and btw, if you really like comics there is a monthly comic book fair held at a hotel in Bloomsbury (I forget the name...), which is very good for picking up a bargain or two.

If that's the one in Inverness Street, it's closing down.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 91
RE: The London Thread - 14/4/2009 5:09:34 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: rupert303

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: rupert303

Yay! A London thread!!!!! Finely some love.

Living in Battersea at the mo, though I prefer it oop North.

If you're ever in Central, I recommend the John Snow on Broadwick Street, just off Carnaby...cracking prices for the center of town and not one of those pretentious pub-come-bistro type affairs.

Is that a Samuel Smiths pub? If so yes there's a few of them about, another good one is The Glasshouse Stores on Beak St. Near me in Wapping is The Captain Kidd which overlooks the Thames. 2.14 a pint!

That's the one! There's one just off Trafalger Square too.

Also try the Fitzroy Tavern on Charlotte St. Dylan Thomas and quite a few other writers and poets used to drink there.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 92
RE: The London Thread - 21/4/2009 9:47:19 AM   
Goodfella

Hey, does anyone know if St Pancras has a tube station as well as it's international and national departure lounges? Reason I'm asking is my Journey Planner won't seem to work online and I just want to check I can get there on Saturday without fucking about in ques on the mainline and just use the DLR.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 93
RE: The London Thread - 21/4/2009 9:51:30 AM   
Harley Quinn

Kings Cross is the underground station Goodfella, you walk through the station to get to St Pancras.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 94
RE: The London Thread - 21/4/2009 9:51:43 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Yep, it's Kings Cross St. Pancreas Tube stop.  If you get the DLR to Bank you can then get the Northern Line

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 95
RE: The London Thread - 21/4/2009 9:53:07 AM   
Harley Quinn

Oh the wonder's of the Northern Line! How I hate it.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 96
RE: The London Thread - 21/4/2009 9:53:27 AM   
Goodfella

Yep, yep, cheers Hobbitonlass! That saves me about four quid and sitting in a que into London Bridge when there's no bloody trains in front!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

Post #: 97
RE: The London Thread - 21/4/2009 9:54:41 AM   
Goodfella

The Northern Line seems to take more of my Oyster card than any other station, or maybe I'm just forgetful! But when I went to The Oval last week I swear it had about three quid off it and that can't be right!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 98
RE: The London Thread - 31/5/2009 6:53:17 PM   
parsonage84

Calling all londeners

anyway am heading into the big smoke later this week, and someone mentioned to me that i be better getting a temp oyster card for the 3 days instead of getting a ticket each day for the tube, is this true? is it a big saving?

Also while there might try and catch the new Terminator, basically whats the cheapest cinema or which one should i wanna avoid  

and of course any other interesting ideas or places that are fun to check out that the average tourist never hears about will be cool to hear about

The Jerk store called, they're running out of you

the King forever rembered 1958 - 2009

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 99
RE: The London Thread - 31/5/2009 6:59:42 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

anyway am heading into the big smoke later this week, and someone mentioned to me that i be better getting a temp oyster card for the 3 days instead of getting a ticket each day for the tube, is this true? is it a big saving?

Yeah I think the temp oyster cards will save you a bit, and you can use them on the tube, DLR and all the bus services in London so you should have no issue getting around.

quote:

Also while there might try and catch the new Terminator, basically whats the cheapest cinema or which one should i wanna avoid  

All cinemas are relatively the same for a standard adult ticket. Avoid Vue at the o2 though, it's a lovely cinema but a real bastard as far as prices go. Since it's Orange Wednesdays if you are going on Wednesday, pretty much just choose one. Odeons and Cineworlds are usually the nicest and will be putting it on in their biggest cinemas so you should have no probs getting tickets.

quote:

and of course any other interesting ideas or places that are fun to check out that the average tourist never hears about will be cool to hear about

The London Dungeons are my favourite place to go visting. Be warned though, it's getting really mental round here with the weather so be prepared to wait in some lines!

(in reply to parsonage84)
Post #: 100
RE: The London Thread - 31/5/2009 7:05:20 PM   
parsonage84

Cheers goodfella, might try n get one of those cards then

The dungeons worth a visit then?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 101
RE: The London Thread - 31/5/2009 7:19:27 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

quote:

London has some very good comic book shops, a lot of diversity in terms of products and all with very helpful staff.  I went to NYC a couple of months back and I was expecting to be wowed by the range of comic book stores but most of them were not that impressive (apart from Jim Hanley and Midtown). 

So I would reccomend any of the stores in central London around TCR: Comicana (for back issues), Orbital (good mix of back issues, new stuff, and graphic novels), GOSH (great selection of graphic novels, and a lot of European/niche stuff too), and Forbidden Planet (pretty much every new comic and graphic novel under the sun, plus loads of other memorabilia on the ground floor).

There are other stores further out too, honourable mentions to Krypton Komics (excellant selection of back issues in Walthamstow); Avalon (good all round store in Battersea); 30th Century Comics (first rate collection of very rare backs issues located in Richmond), and Mega-City Comics (another good store with a little bit of everything, good location in Camden Town).  There are other stores in and around London, but I havent been to all of them.  Oh and btw, if you really like comics there is a monthly comic book fair held at a hotel in Bloomsbury (I forget the name...), which is very good for picking up a bargain or two.

Damn thats pretty rubbish.  Do you know if it is because of the recession or was the store in trouble before then? Tell the truth I dont really go to Mega-city that much, I mainly buy my stuff at Comicana. 

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 102
RE: The London Thread - 31/5/2009 7:56:14 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: parsonage84

Calling all londeners

It's not really a temp oystercard.  Once it's yours it's yours.  Don't throw it away once you have finished with your visit to London, hang on to it and use it for future visits.   You'll have to pay a 3 refundable deposit when you get your first one, they introduced this to stop people throwing away cards and then just getting a new one next time

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 103
RE: The London Thread - 31/5/2009 8:13:47 PM   
themightyhutch

LANDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

That is all.

Post #: 104
RE: The London Thread - 1/6/2009 9:04:42 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

quote:

quote:

Damn thats pretty rubbish.  Do you know if it is because of the recession or was the store in trouble before then? Tell the truth I dont really go to Mega-city that much, I mainly buy my stuff at Comicana. 

I don't know, someone told me it was closing down. I went in there once and they were so bloody rude to me in there, I never went back.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 105
RE: The London Thread - 1/6/2009 10:25:32 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

Cheers goodfella, might try n get one of those cards then

The dungeons worth a visit then?

One thing about the DLR, check each station's info update carefully as in certain places (mainly Beckton, City Airport and Woolwich Arsenal which are places you're unlikely to go through or head towards) are suffering pretty serious delays and cancellations at the moment.

Yeah the Dungeons are great! Pretty scary, as well, even for an adult! I've been there at least 5 times and have had as much fun each time.

Post #: 106
RE: The London Thread - 1/6/2009 11:33:12 AM   
parsonage84

Anyone been to the British Music Exhibition at the O2 Arena? looks like it could be quite interesting but for the 15 entry just thought i see if anyone had been and if was worth seeing

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 107
RE: The London Thread - 1/6/2009 11:47:05 AM   
Rinc

I'd avoid any cinemas right in central London, i find them too noisy.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 108
RE: The London Thread - 2/6/2009 6:03:29 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Anyone been to the British Music Exhibition at the O2 Arena? looks like it could be quite interesting but for the 15 entry just thought i see if anyone had been and if was worth seeing

Was at work there today and they said it's been one of the quietest things there in a few years. Bodyworlds Exhibition in the Bubble is worth checking out though.

Post #: 109
RE: The London Thread - 2/6/2009 8:11:12 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Nowt wrong with the Northern Line...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 110
RE: The London Thread - 2/6/2009 10:24:23 PM   
moontheloon

Anyone in here know of any Good hostels in London, and by Good I mean cheap and reasonably close to the centre (a short ride out is okay) I need somewhere to stay on the night of the 27th for the Hard Rock Calling thing in Hyde Park as I am there for the 28th as well... I'll just get the coach home on the 28th though... But it's just that one night I didn't quite think about what to do with myself. It needs to be as cheap as possible as I am pretty broke. I have looked around online, but I would rather get a recommendation from someone who has used one or knows enough about one to say it's okay.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 111
RE: The London Thread - 3/6/2009 4:09:53 PM   
Ethanial

quote:

I'm pretty sure most cinemas are noisy, when the film is playing.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 112
RE: The London Thread - 6/6/2009 3:43:55 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sally_Ragdoll

Anyone else here pretty much live at the Prince Charles?

i joined the Prince Charles in sep 2007. I think I watched Zodiac (which pleasantly surprised me) and...that was it...rarely was there a movie that i wanted to see...which i was pretty gutted about...great cinema though. all that red.

(in reply to Sally_Ragdoll)
Post #: 113
RE: The London Thread - 7/6/2009 2:02:08 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Plenty wrong with it. For some reason I always seem to get more charged on my Oyster card, it's painfully slow and there's always a bunch of weirdos sat on it.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 114
RE: The London Thread - 7/6/2009 3:15:37 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Plenty wrong with it. For some reason I always seem to get more charged on my Oyster card, it's painfully slow and there's always a bunch of weirdos sat on it.

you ought to try the circle line. not only are the weirdos worse but it just goes round and round. you never actually get anywhere.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 115
RE: The London Thread - 9/6/2009 10:33:24 AM   
Hobbitonlass

No weirdos for anyone tomorrow with the planned Tube strike going ahead.  To be honest I'm surprised what with the World Cup qualifier at Wembley but then maybe that's the idea.  Cause more chaos than normal.

I shall be working from home

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 116
RE: The London Thread - 9/6/2009 10:45:23 AM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ethanial

quote:

I'm pretty sure most cinemas are noisy, when the film is playing.

Most are, i just find ones right in central London to be noisier for some reason.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 117
RE: The London Thread - 9/6/2009 12:25:49 PM   
pedros

I've not been to any central cinema's yet, i've only been to the Clapham Picturehouse mainly because it's the only one near me, but it also has the added bonus of having an awesome bar, having some decent screens which comfy seats and plenty of leg room, and for being mainly populated by normal people - no screaming kids or talking scallies!

The tube strike will be a bit of a nightmare tomorrow but I should be able to get a train to London Bridge with the minimum of fuss. I'm off on Thursday anyway so will only be affected tomorrow.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 118
RE: The London Thread - 18/6/2009 4:08:24 PM   
Goodfella

Can anyone reccomend me any real decent carnivals this summer in London?

I'm going to miss the one back in Devon for the first time in six years and I have to say I'm rather sad about that as it's great fun, so I need a Londoner carnival to replace it? Notting Hill seems to be absolutely crushed and don't you have to pay for it? So, any reccomendations people?

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 119
RE: The London Thread - 18/6/2009 4:18:52 PM   
Skiba

Notting Hill's not so busy on the Sunday but still has the majority of the soundsystems if not all of them...I missed last years for the first time in a long while.  Get down to All Saints road for a bit of DnB madness!

EDIT:  No you don't have to pay for it...just money for booze and a bit of jerk chicken is all you need

< Message edited by Skiba -- 18/6/2009 4:20:07 PM >

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The London Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI