Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The London Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The London Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The London Thread - 7/3/2009 6:41:47 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Greenwich is a pretty place.  I used to go over there to get vintage handbags and coffee.

Peckham is awful, I've never had the pleasure of the 177, the 171 is where old chicken and chips goes to die, you have to check the seats before you sit down. 

Yeah it is. Even East Greenwich which is a pretty rough place seems a world away to some other parts of London. I feel very lucky to live and work here.

quote:

Quick tip:  do not ever go to the Shanghai by the Odeon in Greenwich.  The food is absolutely dire.

The IMAX, however, is pretty good.

You're not the first person to say that to me.

Best places to eat around here are Noodle Time, Nandos, Desperados and The Auctioneer. There's a great little Chinese in Deptford called The Orient as well. But it is in Depth-ford...

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 61
RE: The London Thread - 7/3/2009 7:45:13 PM   
Rinc

I ate in a nice Vietnamese restaurant by the park as well.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 62
RE: The London Thread - 8/3/2009 2:51:22 PM   
Rinc

I think we should all start recommending nice pubs/restaurants to each other. Now that i don't go clubbing much anymore i like nothing better than to be a nice warm pub and one i'd recommend is the The Vanbrugh in Greenwich, just off Trafalgar Rd. Nice atmosphere, nice marquee, shows football but never gets rowdy, has a good quiz on a Monday, and a few benches in the garden. They do have a good garden but it's been shut off for ages now because of a dispute with a neighbour.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 63
RE: The London Thread - 8/3/2009 8:17:33 PM   
Tech_Noir

Just come back from London today after a 4 day workshop in central. Had a great time as always, so many good friends there.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 64
RE: The London Thread - 9/3/2009 9:36:23 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

I think we should all start recommending nice pubs/restaurants to each other. Now that i don't go clubbing much anymore i like nothing better than to be a nice warm pub and one i'd recommend is the The Vanbrugh in Greenwich, just off Trafalgar Rd. Nice atmosphere, nice marquee, shows football but never gets rowdy, has a good quiz on a Monday, and a few benches in the garden. They do have a good garden but it's been shut off for ages now because of a dispute with a neighbour.

The Pelton Arms just off Vanbrugh Road is a really good pub as well, they have some great live music at the weekends. Also reccomend The Yacht which is just off the little sidestreet next to the Trafalgar Tavern, that's okay but it's always packed in there. Don't go to The Cutty Sark pub though, drink prices are a piss-take there.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 65
RE: The London Thread - 21/3/2009 12:54:44 AM   
steflon

if you like a bit of metal to accompany your ears while your drinkin go to the crobar jus round the corner from soho square

http://www.crobar.co.uk/

or the intrepid fox

http://www.intrepidfox.com/

lotsa cute pvc clad goth girls in there!

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 66
RE: The London Thread - 21/3/2009 11:32:00 AM   
Goodfella

I'm not a big metal fan but a few of my friends are and they reccomend this bar in Tottenham Court road, don't know what its called though.

(in reply to steflon)
Post #: 67
RE: The London Thread - 21/3/2009 4:37:55 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I used to live in Uxbridge, it was a shithole back then, I suspect nothings changed, hence the reason I've never returned.....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 68
RE: The London Thread - 21/3/2009 5:07:53 PM   
steflon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

I'm not a big metal fan but a few of my friends are and they reccomend this bar in Tottenham Court road, don't know what its called though.

dont kno any ON tottenham court, crobar is jus off it an theres another one called garlic and shots jus off it too but i not been there

ound another pub not far from brick lane the other day, cant remember where it it exactly or whats its called, but they got a really nice dry cider called old rosie on tap an when i first walked in they were the thunderbirds theme tune, instantly making it a wicked pub, upstairs looked fake regal, loads of hunting trophies on the walls (fake) spray painted gold an huge over the top plastic chandiliers, me an my mates took an element of punk into an otherwise 'we're-close-to-shoreditch-that-makes-us-chic' pub

< Message edited by steflon -- 21/3/2009 5:11:27 PM >

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 69
RE: The London Thread - 22/3/2009 10:38:36 AM   
Samuelpoet

Went to London in early december, only been a few times, but always feel as though I belong there, and have always wanted to move and live there. Would be the perfect choice of place to live considering the career choice I made many years back, just know its more expensive to live there. But the history, the theatre and the busy life of the place is just amazing. Inspirational. Planning to move there by the end of the year.

(in reply to steflon)
Post #: 70
RE: The London Thread - 9/4/2009 1:33:01 PM   
bigmurds

Hello there you cockney rebels you.

I am coming to the Big smoke this weekend and need some help.

How do i get from Victoria to Earls court?
Do I need my passport and 15 kinds of I.D and should i leave my Camo and faux fur at home?

MY BRIAN IS FINE.......

ROCK AND ROLL

Edward Norton is never going to be Brandon Lee

(in reply to Samuelpoet)
Post #: 71
RE: The London Thread - 9/4/2009 1:37:05 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

I used to live in Uxbridge, it was a shithole back then, I suspect nothings changed, hence the reason I've never returned.....

Nope, it hasn't

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 72
RE: The London Thread - 9/4/2009 1:46:53 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigmurds

Do I need my passport and 15 kinds of I.D and should i leave my Camo and faux fur at home?

Take the district line from Victoria tube station straight to Earls Court. Its only a couple of stops - should only take 10 mins or so.

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

(in reply to bigmurds)
Post #: 73
RE: The London Thread - 9/4/2009 1:50:53 PM   
bigmurds

quote:

ORIGINAL: WilliamMunny

quote:

Take the district line from Victoria tube station straight to Earls Court. Its only a couple of stops - should only take 10 mins or so.

what colour is that one and is it one way. I got lost in Madrids underground system and now have a bit of a phobia. also watched Creep last night which maybe was not a good idea.  

MY BRIAN IS FINE.......

ROCK AND ROLL

(in reply to WilliamMunny)
Post #: 74
RE: The London Thread - 9/4/2009 1:56:16 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

what colour is that one and is it one way. I got lost in Madrids underground system and now have a bit of a phobia. also watched Creep last night which maybe was not a good idea.  

The district line is the green one, and you want the tubes heading for Ealing Broadway to get there.

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

(in reply to bigmurds)
Post #: 75
RE: The London Thread - 9/4/2009 5:23:07 PM   
Woger

Anyone near Shepherds Bush?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 76
RE: The London Thread - 9/4/2009 8:23:52 PM   
Empitomezzo

London is absolute love! I'm going to Soho this Saturday for brunch before going to the Cineworld Haymarket. Then I'm going Covent Garden to the ice cream van!

http://zummer.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 77
RE: The London Thread - 9/4/2009 9:12:15 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

I work there (and that's where my favourite cinema is - Vue!)

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 9/4/2009 9:13:15 PM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 78
RE: The London Thread - 9/4/2009 9:23:29 PM   
SWOTBM

London has some very good comic book shops, a lot of diversity in terms of products and all with very helpful staff.  I went to NYC a couple of months back and I was expecting to be wowed by the range of comic book stores but most of them were not that impressive (apart from Jim Hanley and Midtown). 

So I would reccomend any of the stores in central London around TCR: Comicana (for back issues), Orbital (good mix of back issues, new stuff, and graphic novels), GOSH (great selection of graphic novels, and a lot of European/niche stuff too), and Forbidden Planet (pretty much every new comic and graphic novel under the sun, plus loads of other memorabilia on the ground floor).

There are other stores further out too, honourable mentions to Krypton Komics (excellant selection of back issues in Walthamstow); Avalon (good all round store in Battersea); 30th Century Comics (first rate collection of very rare backs issues located in Richmond), and Mega-City Comics (another good store with a little bit of everything, good location in Camden Town).  There are other stores in and around London, but I havent been to all of them.  Oh and btw, if you really like comics there is a monthly comic book fair held at a hotel in Bloomsbury (I forget the name...), which is very good for picking up a bargain or two.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Empitomezzo)
Post #: 79
RE: The London Thread - 9/4/2009 9:51:26 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

I work there (and that's where my favourite cinema is - Vue!)

I spent a summer there a good few years ago, worked in Chelsea. Is that cinema near the green? I used to love The Walkabout they have there.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 80
RE: The London Thread - 9/4/2009 10:47:29 PM   
Hobbitonlass

It's the cinema that's in the shopping precinct Woger (the old one not the Westfield Centre).  Despite the appearance of the shopping centre I was always surprised at how spotless the cinema was (with huge comfy seats and awesome sound system) 

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 81
RE: The London Thread - 9/4/2009 10:56:39 PM   
rupert303

Yay! A London thread!!!!! Finely some love.

Living in Battersea at the mo, though I prefer it oop North.

If you're ever in Central, I recommend the John Snow on Broadwick Street, just off Carnaby...cracking prices for the center of town and not one of those pretentious pub-come-bistro type affairs.

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 82
RE: The London Thread - 9/4/2009 11:42:07 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rupert303

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 83
RE: The London Thread - 10/4/2009 12:02:58 AM   
bigmurds

umm i know its late but anyone know a good hostel or  V cheap hotel for Sat and Sunday? 

MY BRIAN IS FINE.......

ROCK AND ROLL

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 84
RE: The London Thread - 11/4/2009 6:52:31 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

umm i know its late but anyone know a good hostel or  V cheap hotel for Sat and Sunday? 

Hostels wise go to the little information booth at Victoria Station, they can find the cheapest there for you and book them. There are no very cheap hotels in London, was looking for my mum the other day for the Michael Jackson concert and the cheapest for one night were all between 120 and 150.

(in reply to bigmurds)
Post #: 85
RE: The London Thread - 12/4/2009 5:22:49 PM   
Rinc

quote:

If you're ever in Central, I recommend the John Snow on Broadwick Street, just off Carnaby...cracking prices for the center of town and not one of those pretentious pub-come-bistro type affairs.

Is that a Samuel Smiths pub? If so yes there's a few of them about, another good one is The Glasshouse Stores on Beak St. Near me in Wapping is The Captain Kidd which overlooks the Thames. 2.14 a pint!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 86
RE: The London Thread - 12/4/2009 8:46:20 PM   
Sally_Ragdoll

Anyone else here pretty much live at the Prince Charles?

*The Aerosmith Chick*

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 87
RE: The London Thread - 12/4/2009 10:30:04 PM   
rupert303

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sally_Ragdoll

Anyone else here pretty much live at the Prince Charles?

I love it! Best independent cinema in the country. They've got Mad Max 2 on tomorrow. I would go, but i expect the tickets are gone and I've demolished my wallet over the weekend.

It's been like a ghost town up here over the last 2 days!

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to Sally_Ragdoll)
Post #: 88
RE: The London Thread - 12/4/2009 11:46:04 PM   
Empitomezzo

Went shopping in Chelsea at the weekend. The shops there are lush; ridiculously overpriced though

http://zummer.blogspot.com/

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 89
RE: The London Thread - 13/4/2009 7:41:40 AM   
rupert303

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

Is that a Samuel Smiths pub? If so yes there's a few of them about, another good one is The Glasshouse Stores on Beak St. Near me in Wapping is The Captain Kidd which overlooks the Thames. 2.14 a pint!

That's the one! There's one just off Trafalger Square too.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The London Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI