Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The London Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The London Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The London Thread - 31/10/2008 10:38:10 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

The Elephant and Castle is horrid has been for many many years, it's due to be redeveloped in 2012. Fingers crossed.

I think that you can change the image of a place as much as you want, it's more to do with the kind of people living there. Back in Devon there's a seaside town over from me that is very picturesque but it is an absolute hellhole due to the amount of thieves, thugs and heroin addicts living there. They've tried all kinds of renovation works (they're spending another few million on it this winter in time for next summer) but it's still the same old place - it's called Ilfracombe but most people affectionately nickname it Ilfrascum.

Bill Bailey does live there though...

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 31
RE: The London Thread - 31/10/2008 10:46:45 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

The Elephant and Castle is horrid has been for many many years, it's due to be redeveloped in 2012. Fingers crossed.

I think that you can change the image of a place as much as you want, it's more to do with the kind of people living there. Back in Devon there's a seaside town over from me that is very picturesque but it is an absolute hellhole due to the amount of thieves, thugs and heroin addicts living there. They've tried all kinds of renovation works (they're spending another few million on it this winter in time for next summer) but it's still the same old place - it's called Ilfracombe but most people affectionately nickname it Ilfrascum.

One of the big estates is being torn down they are moving people off of it now. So they can get a broader mix of people and wealth over that way.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 32
RE: The London Thread - 31/10/2008 10:55:47 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

quote:

One of the big estates is being torn down they are moving people off of it now. So they can get a broader mix of people and wealth over that way.

That's good but I don't want to see the place turned into a white-only area.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

Post #: 33
RE: The London Thread - 31/10/2008 11:45:53 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's good but I don't want to see the place turned into a white-only area.

That's not going to happen. The redevelopment plans have been in the pipeline for 12 years they won't have a clear plan till mid-next year as to what the area will look like. The aim is to totally turn the area around there are schemes to get people back to work and to help people with drug/drink/domestic violence problems and basically try and improve everybody's quality of life.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 34
RE: The London Thread - 31/10/2008 5:30:34 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Southbank is getting better by the month and by next summer it should be totally developed...there's already quite a few nice little bars and restaurants around the building I work in behind the Tate modern

I recommend going to Vinopolis if you like a bit of wine where there do tours...if you like your real ale then there's a pub called The Charles Dickens on Union St SE1 which has some cracking chewy beers which change daily and I bumped into Pete Postlethwaite in there last Friday!

I love that part of town and Vinopolis is great, The Dickens is great also there's a stake house round the corner called Black and Blue which is pretty nice.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 35
RE: The London Thread - 31/10/2008 8:59:19 PM   
Twizzle

Goodfella and Pettsy - I'm feeling the Welling love and we thank you.

Personally I think it's a shit-hole...

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 36
RE: The London Thread - 31/10/2008 9:57:47 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twizzle

Goodfella and Pettsy - I'm feeling the Welling love and we thank you.

Personally I think it's a shit-hole...

Personally I think it's neighbour Bexleyheath is the overrated shithole, especially since they did away with the legendary Crook Log swimming pool. I loved that place, got all my swimming certificates there and they helped me a find a Kent swimming club.

Rock on Welling!

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 37
RE: The London Thread - 2/11/2008 12:42:26 PM   
Goodfella

Has anyone been to the 02 yet for anything?

I've had a little look around it but would like to go to a gig there and perhaps for something to eat, they have some great restuarants there.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 38
RE: The London Thread - 3/11/2008 8:54:27 AM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

Personally I think it's neighbour Bexleyheath is the overrated shithole, especially since they did away with the legendary Crook Log swimming pool. I loved that place, got all my swimming certificates there and they helped me a find a Kent swimming club.

Rock on Welling!

Yeah not a fan of Bexleyheath either although it's not London anyway it's Kent isn't it?

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 39
RE: The London Thread - 3/11/2008 10:17:43 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fanboyslayer

quote:

Rock on Welling!

Yeah not a fan of Bexleyheath either although it's not London anyway it's Kent isn't it?

Ah. Now you see this one has resulted in a few rows, even fisticuffs, over time.

Yes Bexleyheath, like my former home, Erith has a Kent address but many consider it a part of Greater London, also it is a very short walk from entering postcodes which start with SE, like where I currently live.

It's a matter of how technical you want to be about it.

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 40
RE: The London Thread - 3/11/2008 10:20:40 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

Has anyone been to the 02 yet for anything?

I've had a little look around it but would like to go to a gig there and perhaps for something to eat, they have some great restuarants there.

I've been to the O2 for a gig it's easy peasy to get to and it does have some good places to eat .

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 41
RE: The London Thread - 3/11/2008 10:52:01 AM   
Twizzle

quote:

quote:

Rock on Welling!

Hmmm - a technicality I think. It's the London Borough of Bexley but with a Kent postcode (DA) so you can take it either way. Oh and Bexleyheath is indeed a worse shit-hole than Welling.

As for the O2 - it's a pretty decent venue with a good sound system and a variety of eateries and drinkeries within. Good bus services home too.

And I've realised that I've just been echoing what Goodfella etc. have already said so apologies for not reading the rest of the thread before I posted.

< Message edited by Twizzle -- 3/11/2008 10:55:09 AM >

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 42
RE: The London Thread - 5/2/2009 1:24:24 AM   
Goodfella

I was just thinking about the DLR, how does everyone rate it? Personally it's been a fucking godsend for me over the last few days, it runs right behind my flats and whilst the snow has virtually put southeastern rail out of existence I can still hit Bank and central line in about 20 minutes which meant I could get to Bristol the other night with real ease. Best London invention of recent times. Bar the Oyster card!

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 43
RE: The London Thread - 5/2/2009 11:04:40 AM   
Rinc

I really like the o2, i've been there for a couple of gigs and i'll be there later this month to see The Killers. I've been to a few of the restaurants there as well and they're not bad although when gigs are they get very crowded. The cinema's quite good and it's easy to get to on the Jubilee line or even on the bus if you don't live too far away.

I love the DLR. I live 5 minutes from Shadwell which is only 3 mins from Bank so although i don't have to use it for long it's still good. It can very very crowded but there's always one 3 mins later and the busy period doesn't last long at all. Although when it fucks up it fucks up proper.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 44
RE: The London Thread - 3/3/2009 12:30:15 PM   
Happinno

North London for me personally :D

Not that I mind the south, its more that all my favorite places are also up here in the north of london.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 45
RE: The London Thread - 3/3/2009 1:35:30 PM   
Sinatra

Does anyone else work in the City? I'm near Liverpool Street Station....

(in reply to Happinno)
Post #: 46
RE: The London Thread - 3/3/2009 2:00:44 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I look out of my office window on to the Westfield shopping centre so not quite the City but at least we have decent shops now 

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 47
RE: The London Thread - 3/3/2009 2:22:27 PM   
Happinno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

I'm not far from Liverpool Street :)

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 48
RE: The London Thread - 3/3/2009 2:55:10 PM   
JessFranco

I've recently moved into a swish new office on the Embankment / Strand.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Happinno)
Post #: 49
RE: The London Thread - 3/3/2009 3:09:17 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Happinno

quote:

I'm not that far from Liverpool Street either - about ten minutes walk. The office is just round the corner from Old Street Tube station, near the graveyard.

(in reply to Happinno)
Post #: 50
RE: The London Thread - 3/3/2009 3:24:45 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

Goodfella, i thought you were from Devon?

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 51
RE: The London Thread - 3/3/2009 5:25:41 PM   
Happinno

quote:

ORIGINAL: kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Happinno

quote:

I'm not that far from Liverpool Street either - about ten minutes walk. The office is just round the corner from Old Street Tube station, near the graveyard.

Really I'm just by Cargo club on the corner near American Apparel - small small london

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 52
RE: The London Thread - 3/3/2009 5:29:47 PM   
the anomaly

North Wezzy baby! It's a London ting everytime!

(in reply to Happinno)
Post #: 53
RE: The London Thread - 5/3/2009 3:46:06 PM   
steflon

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twizzle

quote:

Saaaaaaafffff London represent brapp brapp brapp

Or I'm from South London and I quite like it.  Check out south of the river that's where all the cool people live

Indeed! Sarrrrrf Lundun is coolness personified, as am I.  

although Welling probably isn't that cool

Welling is cool! I used to go and watch a football a bit there!

Just one long high street really!

as a resident of Welling i feel i should stick up for the place....but your right...its a bit rubbish
an it's also i Kent so shouldn't be in this thread, altho i still consider myself  londoner...grew up in Plumstead blud

depending on what you like theres a tunnel round the corner from waterloo station at the end of Leake Street thats filled with really good graffiti, its also legal to go spray your own stuff up there (i think, i know it was for a coupla days in the summer, i'm sure no one gives a crud tho) go buy some paint, cut out a stencil an go spraying

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 54
RE: The London Thread - 5/3/2009 3:56:15 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

Goodfella, i thought you were from Devon?

I have lived in Devon for the last few years but was born and bred in South London and am back up here now for good.

quote:

as a resident of Welling i feel i should stick up for the place....but your right...its a bit rubbish
an it's also i Kent so shouldn't be in this thread, altho i still consider myself  londoner...grew up in Plumstead blud

depending on what you like theres a tunnel round the corner from waterloo station at the end of Leake Street thats filled with really good graffiti, its also legal to go spray your own stuff up there (i think, i know it was for a coupla days in the summer, i'm sure no one gives a crud tho) go buy some paint, cut out a stencil an go spraying

Aaaahhhhh! Too much "homie" talk in there for me!

quote:

I love the DLR. I live 5 minutes from Shadwell which is only 3 mins from Bank so although i don't have to use it for long it's still good. It can very very crowded but there's always one 3 mins later and the busy period doesn't last long at all. Although when it fucks up it fucks up proper.

It's very easy for me to hit Central London from where I am, Bank is 20 minutes on the DLR if that. Far easier than the mainline train queing into London Bridge and then two tube changes.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 55
RE: The London Thread - 6/3/2009 3:18:25 PM   
steflon

quote:

Aaaahhhhh! Too much "homie" talk in there for me!

I do apologise!
All those years of living amongst white boy gangsta's seem's to have had an adverse effect on me

*puts on The Vandals*
aaaahhh thas better

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 56
RE: The London Thread - 6/3/2009 4:42:31 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

It's very easy for me to hit Central London from where I am, Bank is 20 minutes on the DLR if that. Far easier than the mainline train queing into London Bridge and then two tube changes.

You're in Greenwich aren't you?

I work in Peckham at the moment (I know, I know!) but the office's are moving to London Bridge soon.  If I'm still here then.  I temp so I never know where I'll be.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 57
RE: The London Thread - 6/3/2009 6:59:27 PM   
Rinc

quote:

I'm guessing Sinatra that you get the c2c to work? I used to when i lived in Essex and loved those trains especially during the Summer when the excellent aircon kicks in.

Anyway i live about 20 mins walk from Liverpool St, in fact my housemate works near London Wall and walks to work everyday.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 58
RE: The London Thread - 6/3/2009 7:29:36 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

I work in Peckham at the moment (I know, I know!) but the office's are moving to London Bridge soon.  If I'm still here then.  I temp so I never know where I'll be.

Yep that's right.

Fair play to you for making the trip to and back from Peckham every day Harley! The 177 bus there is a fucking nightmare, dregs of society doesn't even come close...

Post #: 59
RE: The London Thread - 7/3/2009 5:22:50 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep that's right.

Fair play to you for making the trip to and back from Peckham every day Harley! The 177 bus there is a fucking nightmare, dregs of society doesn't even come close...

Greenwich is a pretty place.  I used to go over there to get vintage handbags and coffee.

Peckham is awful, I've never had the pleasure of the 177, the 171 is where old chicken and chips goes to die, you have to check the seats before you sit down. 

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The London Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI