Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The London Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The London Thread Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The London Thread - 8/8/2011 11:49:41 PM   
JIm R

Good night all, keep safe each and everyone of you,

peace and love

Jim xx

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 451
RE: The London Thread - 8/8/2011 11:59:26 PM   
Harley Quinn

JIm empty your PM box!

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 452
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 12:01:54 AM   
JIm R

okay, soz, have done xx

Post #: 453
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 12:19:36 AM   
steflon

reported non fatal shooting in croyden bout 30 mins ago, not heard anything else about it yet

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 454
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 12:33:43 AM   
Hood_Man

Just seen some of the videos on twitter, the stuff on the BBC is tame in comparison.

Not that you guys would do otherwise but please stay indoors and stay safe until this blows over!

(in reply to steflon)
Post #: 455
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 12:34:16 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

links hood?

I don't have twitter...

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 456
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 12:35:20 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

so apparently a house on the next road has been bricked.

don't know how reliable this is but I want to go check because I don't want to worry. And my grandparents are helpless in a situation like this.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 457
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 12:40:37 AM   
Hood_Man

Here's one video, I was genuinely scared for those riot police when they were attacked!

http://yfrog.com/0wtduz

There are others, they're on the top right. There's so many messages on twitter right now I can barely keep up.

[EDIT]

Another one here of a pub on fire (click rotate a couple of times a few seconds in).

http://www.twitvid.com/HOPZ2

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 9/8/2011 12:43:06 AM >

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 458
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 12:43:34 AM   
steflon

the worst pic i've seen so far
no one who causes this to happed can be deemed worthy of anything, just weak, mean arseholes

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/08/08/london-riots-terrified-woman-jumps-from-burning-building-115875-23330390/

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 459
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 1:03:36 AM   
DJ Satan

Just to lighten the mood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo6_aodbC4

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to steflon)
Post #: 460
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 1:10:38 AM   
Spaldron

Coz that's the first thing you think about nicking during a looting spree.

A big bag of Basmati rice.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 461
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 9:38:15 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

You're forgetting DJ Satan is a died in the wool "they can do no wrong" Conservative.

Of course if this had been Blair or Brown sitting on their arse while cities burn...

I'm not Conservative and didn't vote for them at the last election.

But it's better than being a biggoted Labour supporter who tries to pin everything on the current government, even if the root cause has been festering for years under the last lot.

My mistake, but saying Cameron shouldn't be coming back immediately because he can do just as much on his jollies is stupid.

And, yeah, let's blame Labour for everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 462
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 1:26:46 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

You're forgetting DJ Satan is a died in the wool "they can do no wrong" Conservative.

Of course if this had been Blair or Brown sitting on their arse while cities burn...

I'm not Conservative and didn't vote for them at the last election.

But it's better than being a biggoted Labour supporter who tries to pin everything on the current government, even if the root cause has been festering for years under the last lot.

My mistake, but saying Cameron shouldn't be coming back immediately because he can do just as much on his jollies is stupid.

And, yeah, let's blame Labour for everything.

I think we should stop politizing this situation. I'm not saying that there isn't problems and issues we all have with the way this country has been and is being run, but let's not give these little shitbags some form of a soap box, and most of all any kind of excuse, for the things they are currently doing on the streets, I don't liken this at all to what has happened in France of Greece, these people have this mentality in them anyway, you can see that from the pictures and the videos and the way they have grouped up and in some scenarios cleverly planned these attacks and assaults, we are all angry at the economy, the cuts and the black hole this country seems to be slipping into but we are not all out there doing this so let's not hand them any kind of reasoning, they don't deserve it.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 463
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 1:29:24 PM   
matty_b

Oh, I totally agree Goodfella. This would have happened regardless of who's in power.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 464
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 4:33:52 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Heartbreaking listening to the owner and his brother of the shop on fire in Croydon. Built in 1857 and 5 generations of the family have run it. They arrived just as the thugs were running out of it having torched it but as the fire crew couldn't get there, it just went up in flames

Made me cry listening to them both, they were both so devastated.

We bought our Dining table, chairs and coffee table from them about a month ago for our new place. They were really nice and had pics up inside of the place from many years ago. I was looking at one of the pics above the guys desk and he was telling me about it being a family run business for over 100 years. Now some mindless scum have destroyed it.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Post #: 465
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 5:07:11 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Heartbreaking listening to the owner and his brother of the shop on fire in Croydon. Built in 1857 and 5 generations of the family have run it. They arrived just as the thugs were running out of it having torched it but as the fire crew couldn't get there, it just went up in flames

Made me cry listening to them both, they were both so devastated.

We bought our Dining table, chairs and coffee table from them about a month ago for our new place. They were really nice and had pics up inside of the place from many years ago. I was looking at one of the pics above the guys desk and he was telling me about it being a family run business for over 100 years. Now some mindless scum have destroyed it.

Seconded. I will be sadly intrigued to see just how many people have been left unemployed by the end of this madness at the end of it, god willing that's very, very, very soon.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 466
RE: The London Thread - 9/8/2011 6:25:42 PM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella
I think we should stop politizing this situation. I'm not saying that there isn't problems and issues we all have with the way this country has been and is being run, but let's not give these little shitbags some form of a soap box, and most of all any kind of excuse, for the things they are currently doing on the streets, I don't liken this at all to what has happened in France of Greece, these people have this mentality in them anyway, you can see that from the pictures and the videos and the way they have grouped up and in some scenarios cleverly planned these attacks and assaults, we are all angry at the economy, the cuts and the black hole this country seems to be slipping into but we are not all out there doing this so let's not hand them any kind of reasoning, they don't deserve it.

Well said/written. These mindless toss-pots are not doing this for political reasons, they are opportunist bastards ruining innocent people's lives.

The looting and arson attacks have made its way to the East Midlands now in Nottingham. This is unfortunately where 24 hour news coverage only aids the looters

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 467
RE: The London Thread - 10/8/2011 1:58:20 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

quote:

Well said/written. These mindless toss-pots are not doing this for political reasons, they are opportunist bastards ruining innocent people's lives.

The looting and arson attacks have made its way to the East Midlands now in Nottingham. This is unfortunately where 24 hour news coverage only aids the looters

Dare you to pop over onto News and Hot Topics and state that first part. Over there this is an act of social decline and lack of opportunities, we'll forget the fact the BBC have already released messages passed between many of the rioters and looters which is visible proof that many of them are members of gangs and are not intent on making a point with the politics and stateheads of this country, but rather getting their hands on as many stolen items as they can.

The disturbances do seem to have started to switch now from the capital to further up the country, although the acting chief police commissioner has said that some 80 arrests were made in London last night, whether they are connected with the events of the previous night or where in relation to events that took place then and there are yet to be confirmed.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 468
RE: The London Thread - 10/8/2011 2:09:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Dare you to pop over onto News and Hot Topics and state that first part. Over there this is an act of social decline and lack of opportunities, we'll forget the fact the BBC have already released messages passed between many of the rioters and looters which is visible proof that many of them are members of gangs and are not intent on making a point with the politics and stateheads of this country, but rather getting their hands on as many stolen items as they can.

I mean, no one is actully saying that. Everyone is saying this is crimminal rooting. What they are saying though, is that for such a culture to exist, there has be some reason, beyond "they are evil and need to be killed".

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 469
RE: The London Thread - 10/8/2011 2:10:43 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

As you should know, that's a pretty gross misrepresentation of the debate in that thread.  The point that has been made repeatedly (but that you have continuously chosen to ignore) is that  recognising that there are underlying social problems in the area does not mean that you side with the looters and rioters, or even think they're anything but opportunist criminals.  Rather it is recognition that quelling the riots won't necessarily make the problems disappear.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 470
RE: The London Thread - 10/8/2011 2:28:32 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

As you should know, that's a pretty gross misrepresentation of the debate in that thread.  The point that has been made repeatedly (but that you have continuously chosen to ignore) is that  recognising that there are underlying social problems in the area does not mean that you side with the looters and rioters, or even think they're anything but opportunist criminals.  Rather it is recognition that quelling the riots won't necessarily make the problems disappear.

At what point have I said anything im my above post about "siding with the looters." I've said that it's being claimed an act of social decline and lack of opportunities, which has been directly stated on News and Hot Topics. So your reply is a gross misrepresentation of my above post isn't it?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 471
RE: The London Thread - 10/8/2011 2:32:53 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

I mean, no one is actully saying that. Everyone is saying this is crimminal rooting. What they are saying though, is that for such a culture to exist, there has be some reason, beyond "they are evil and need to be killed".

Where's that last quote from? It's not from one of my posts? That's funny, given how many accusations of twisting words I had thrown at me yesterday.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 472
RE: The London Thread - 10/8/2011 2:33:42 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

At what point have I said anything im my above post about "siding with the looters." I've said that it's being claimed an act of social decline and lack of opportunities, which has been directly stated on News and Hot Topics. So your reply is a gross misrepresentation of my above post isn't it?

Again Goodfella, the social decline and lack of opportunities are being discussed in the context of quite clearly crimminal behaviour - but they are the conidtions for such an event to happen. That is a distinction that has to be made.

No one is saying these are poor innocent lambs, but at the same time what is being said, is what is the background to all of this, that let riots of the scale across the country, take place.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 473
RE: The London Thread - 10/8/2011 2:34:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

Where's that last quote from? It's not from one of my posts? That's funny, given how many accusations of twisting words I had thrown at me yesterday.

I wasn't quoting you - I was speaking more generally about the thread and put the quote marks in as a general feeling in that thread, and not anything you said. 

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 10/8/2011 2:38:55 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 474
RE: The London Thread - 10/8/2011 2:37:49 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wasn't quoting you - I was speaking more generally about the thread.

That wasn't said at all though and I feel it's a bit of an extreme way to generalise some people's feelings about it, much the same as Spaldron's posts about how we were saying, "it's the blacks", "ban twitter" etc. None of these things were said. I think people are angry and are entitled to be but I don't think anbody suggested we react in such an extreme manner, people want justice and punishment but aren't calling to bring out the stocks, although there were a few jokey posts.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 475
RE: The London Thread - 10/8/2011 2:39:59 PM   
Rgirvan44

You should read the thread just now Goodfella. And yes, it does come from understandable anger, and I am sure that in the cold light of day rationality will win as it always does. 

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 10/8/2011 2:41:06 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 476
RE: The London Thread - 10/8/2011 2:42:45 PM   
Deviation

I just realized something, never argue with Goodfella, he'll just get emotional and ignore your points to repeatedly say his.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 477
RE: The London Thread - 10/8/2011 2:43:01 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Again Goodfella, the social decline and lack of opportunities are being discussed in the context of quite clearly crimminal behaviour - but they are the conidtions for such an event to happen. That is a distinction that has to be made.

No one is saying these are poor innocent lambs, but at the same time what is being said, is what is the background to all of this, that let riots of the scale across the country, take place.

It's interesting though, areas like Ealing, for example, are very affulent, they are not your typical suburban areas of London that suffer from high crime rates and low income thresholds. Judging from the interviews some media outlets have managed to obtain with some of the rioters and looters, they don't really seem to have much care for why they are doing this, "let's go and get some watches." They seem to be enjoying the thrill and the chase of what they are doing, they don't seem to be frustrated with their own social situations and are destroying their own communities and employment opportunities around them. As I've already stated, evidence is building that more and more of them are criminals by nature anyway, involved in gangland life, in fact one this morning in court was on license from prison for drug-related charges.

As for rioting across the country, do you not think a lot of this is copycat behaviour?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 478
RE: The London Thread - 10/8/2011 2:44:14 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

You should read the thread just now Goodfella. And yes, it does come from understandable anger, and I am sure that in the cold light of day rationality will win as it always does. 

No, I'll pass thanks. Shame rationality hasn't won over the past four nights ey?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 479
RE: The London Thread - 10/8/2011 2:45:19 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I just realized something, never argue with Goodfella, he'll just get emotional and ignore your points to repeatedly say his.

See, this is trolling. Sure it'll get ignored though.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The London Thread Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI