Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The London Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> The London Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The London Thread - 20/10/2008 9:52:51 PM   
Goodfella

We can't have a Norwich one starting up before one for us now can we!?

Erm, so, London. Anybody got any sightseeing reccomendations apart from the obvious and well-documented. I want to do one of those boat rides up the river, I've never been one and that thing moves at quite a lick. What about public transport? Oyster cards are a blessing, I'm just waiting for my student one to come through. Got a right pain in the ass on Wednesday when I have to go all the way to Waterloo just to pick up my LFF tickets cause I was dumb enough not to read the webpage properly and ticked the "collect" rather than the "post" box.

Weather's been pretty decent here too right up until tonight when it decided to piss it down during the middle of a fire drill!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 1
RE: The London Thread - 21/10/2008 11:41:39 AM   
Ripper

Go to Covent Garden, its great!

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 2
RE: The London Thread - 21/10/2008 11:50:09 AM   
Rinc

Anyone been to Shunt in London Bridge. Went there a month ago and it was really good. Every week has a different theme, when i went the whole place was done up like a dictatorship with all the staff dressed up and loads going on. They don't let the place get too crowded either unlike most clubs where people are just packed in.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 3
RE: The London Thread - 21/10/2008 1:12:11 PM   
mustbebunnies

i live so near to London, but never bother going, which is stupid really...I think I'm gonna go down around xmas time to have a wander. I quite like the chaos, and also want to see if they still sell those hot sweet nuts on street corners! mmmm, loved them when I was little..
I wish trains would run later out of london, as I'd love to go for a night out (not that i can afford it at the moment, but still..)

If you're into theatre at all, look out for places doing student standby tickets-you might not get the best seats, but its a lot cheaper.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 4
RE: The London Thread - 21/10/2008 1:42:30 PM   
mustbebunnies

quote:

ORIGINAL: pettsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mustbebunnies

I wish trains would run later out of london, as I'd love to go for a night out (not that i can afford it at the moment, but still..)

Tell me about it, its a right pain in the arse.

Will be up 3 or 4 times before Christmas though, mainly for gigs but also for music shopping

its ridiculous that you've got a bit of a panic on your hands even if a gig just over runs, or a connecting train is a bit late. Last xmas something broke down at baker st, the announcer said to wait for a few minutes which turned into quite a bit longer, and I very nealry missed my train home, even though this was only at about 11. I was very nearly in a bit of a state, as I had no other way to get home and dont know London that well, and was on my own with all the usual weirdoes you get in stations at night.

Some people have argued i deserved it, as I had been to the spice girls reunion that night...
Post #: 5
RE: The London Thread - 21/10/2008 2:41:28 PM   
Fanboyslayer

Saaaaaaafffff London represent brapp brapp brapp

Or I'm from South London and I quite like it.  Check out south of the river that's where all the cool people live

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to mustbebunnies)
Post #: 6
RE: The London Thread - 21/10/2008 4:01:44 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fanboyslayer

Or I'm from South London and I quite like it.  Check out south of the river that's where all the cool people live

quote:

Go to Covent Garden, its great!

Grow up.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 7
RE: The London Thread - 21/10/2008 7:39:53 PM   
Base

quote:

ORIGINAL: mustbebunnies
Some people have argued i deserved it, as I had been to the spice girls reunion that night...

And you have the gall to call other people weirdoes...!

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to mustbebunnies)
Post #: 8
RE: The London Thread - 22/10/2008 12:22:16 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

north londoner here...

but i'll be in leicester for three years.

but a londoner nonetheless.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 9
RE: The London Thread - 25/10/2008 12:38:09 PM   
Wessing

people say that england is pretty small, but you coudlnt fit it all in here (here meaning this room), not by a long shot

Thank your mother for pointing that out

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 10
RE: The London Thread - 25/10/2008 8:58:40 PM   
Wedge

It's nice here in Baron's Court. 

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Wessing)
Post #: 11
RE: The London Thread - 25/10/2008 10:56:39 PM   
Sally_Ragdoll

Temporary Ealing girl here!
Come to the Comedy Store - guaranteed to laugh your ass off.

*The Aerosmith Chick*

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 12
RE: The London Thread - 26/10/2008 1:44:48 PM   
Twizzle

quote:

Indeed! Sarrrrrf Lundun is coolness personified, as am I.  

although Welling probably isn't that cool

< Message edited by Twizzle -- 26/10/2008 1:46:08 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: The London Thread - 26/10/2008 4:10:19 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twizzle

quote:

Indeed! Sarrrrrf Lundun is coolness personified, as am I.  

although Welling probably isn't that cool

Welling is cool! I used to go and watch a football a bit there!

Just one long high street really!

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 14
RE: The London Thread - 26/10/2008 5:55:04 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I lived in Welling for a little bit when I was younger, that's why its cool.

And what's wrong with Covent Garden?  I like it there.

There's nothing wrong with it!

Don't get the sarccy remarks unless they're aimed at my thread about it a few weeks ago when I got accused of being anti-Irish.

Post #: 15
RE: The London Thread - 26/10/2008 7:56:15 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I got a bit confused when you told Ripper to grow up for saying it was great.  Have I missed something here?

I think his comment was meant sarcastically and ironically towards me.

Check out my "Call it a man's intuition" thread.

Post #: 16
RE: The London Thread - 29/10/2008 10:44:19 PM   
Goodfella

The DLR is an excellent service. It runs past midnight during the week and it stops off right behind my flat, literally. It's also usually very quiet although it stops at some places with some funny names. Two off the top of my head - Mudchute and Pudding Mill Lane.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 17
RE: The London Thread - 29/10/2008 11:44:55 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

The plaza's an annoying tourist trap slap bang in the middle of my walk home of an evening, but there are some okay bars around the further you move away from the centre of Covent Garden. Not the Porterhouse though. That's shit.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/
Post #: 18
RE: The London Thread - 29/10/2008 11:59:47 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

The plaza's an annoying tourist trap slap bang in the middle of my walk home of an evening, but there are some okay bars around the further you move away from the centre of Covent Garden. Not the Porterhouse though. That's shit.

Is this a wrong time to say my mum and dad met there?

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 19
RE: The London Thread - 30/10/2008 1:39:51 AM   
Larry of Arabia

I've only been down to London once for Led Zeppelin and ended up taking a taxi everywhere because I couldn't figure out the Tube routes.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 20
RE: The London Thread - 30/10/2008 9:58:01 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

quote:

I fell down the stairs in there.  

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 21
RE: The London Thread - 30/10/2008 4:03:54 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

quote:

quote:

I fell down the stairs in there.  

I've been dragged there a few times. Pain in the arse place too many staircases everywhere I always get lost on the way back from the loo.  Other than that Covent Garden is nice although usually to many people trying to squeeze their way round the market. Now if you want a proper market where you can buy a dried pig face then Brixton is the place to go   I'm not sure why you want one but if you do then that's the place.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 22
RE: The London Thread - 30/10/2008 4:07:55 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I'm sitting at my desk in the office looking out over the newly opened Westfield shopping centre (literally across the road which'll be handy for Xmas shopping).  I ventured in just before lunch and it was mobbed!!  Crowd control bods everywhere, police in abundance......

It's pretty impressive to say the least but it will be better next week when all the kids are back at school.  Funniest thing I saw was a large crowd of guys gathered round the shop window of La Senza as they had live models modelling the underwear.  Why the needed to take pictures on their mobile phones is beyond me

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 23
RE: The London Thread - 30/10/2008 4:24:13 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

quote:

I walk through Liecester Square on my way home which suffers from similar problems, gaumless tourists and rubbish local bars with good one hidden off the thoroughfares. Its a write off when there's a premier.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 24
RE: The London Thread - 30/10/2008 5:20:44 PM   
Skiba

Southbank is getting better by the month and by next summer it should be totally developed...there's already quite a few nice little bars and restaurants around the building I work in behind the Tate modern

I recommend going to Vinopolis if you like a bit of wine where there do tours...if you like your real ale then there's a pub called The Charles Dickens on Union St SE1 which has some cracking chewy beers which change daily and I bumped into Pete Postlethwaite in there last Friday!

< Message edited by Skiba -- 30/10/2008 5:21:21 PM >

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 25
RE: The London Thread - 30/10/2008 7:43:37 PM   
Sally_Ragdoll

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs
I walk through Liecester Square on my way home which suffers from similar problems, gaumless tourists and rubbish local bars with good one hidden off the thoroughfares. Its a write off when there's a premier.

Agreed. "Li-chester" Square is an ass, along with Piccadilly Circus. It takes me ten minutes to get through the mob from the tube enterance to the Comedy Store.
Which reminds me of another thing that niggles me - the tourists who block up all the ATMs round the area cause they are totally dumbfounded by the machines, either because they've never seen one before or they dont understand the text. Freakin' pisses me off...

*The Aerosmith Chick*

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 26
RE: The London Thread - 30/10/2008 11:07:17 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Southbank is getting better by the month and by next summer it should be totally developed...there's already quite a few nice little bars and restaurants around the building I work in behind the Tate modern

I recommend going to Vinopolis if you like a bit of wine where there do tours...if you like your real ale then there's a pub called The Charles Dickens on Union St SE1 which has some cracking chewy beers which change daily and I bumped into Pete Postlethwaite in there last Friday!

Yeah, the South Bank's pretty rocking at the moment, even round Festival Hall which they've modernised rather nicely. Will be at Vinopolis tomorrow night for a comedy gig or something. The tour's good fun as well, got a real good taste for a Chiraz after trying more than a few reds the first time I went.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 27
RE: The London Thread - 30/10/2008 11:58:40 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Yeah, the South Bank's pretty rocking at the moment, even round Festival Hall which they've modernised rather nicely. Will be at Vinopolis tomorrow night for a comedy gig or something. The tour's good fun as well, got a real good taste for a Chiraz after trying more than a few reds the first time I went.

I presume we're talking about the trendy part of Southbank here (the IMAX and all that), not Elephant & Castle. That place is still a cesspool...

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 28
RE: The London Thread - 31/10/2008 10:24:01 AM   
Harley Quinn

The Elephant and Castle is horrid has been for many many years, it's due to be redeveloped in 2012. Fingers crossed.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 29
RE: The London Thread - 31/10/2008 10:29:07 AM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

The Elephant and Castle is horrid has been for many many years, it's due to be redeveloped in 2012. Fingers crossed.

Forget redevelopment - nuke it from space, its the only way to be sure!

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> The London Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI