Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread..

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 22/8/2009 7:27:37 PM   
hitchcock

great news about Dumbo
anyword on Snow Whites r2 release yet??

''Are you watching closley?'' The Prestige

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 121
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 22/8/2009 7:39:13 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs should be released in October the world over.

(in reply to hitchcock)
Post #: 122
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 22/8/2009 8:46:50 PM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

I would love a Bambi rerelease too!

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

(in reply to DouglasG)
Post #: 123
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 23/8/2009 4:04:20 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timmy_Brisby_05

I would love a Bambi rerelease too!

Same here, but it looks like a Bambi re-release is the most distant of them all. Given all the discussion generated on the UltimateDisney forum by the Dumbo Special Edition announcement, all kinds of films that may potentially be made Platinum or Diamond are flying around, and people are mainly wondering if Fantasia will be pushed back to March 2011, Beauty And The Beast to October 2011, so that Dumbo will have the slot in early 2010, and Alice In Wonderland in October 2010 to coincide with the release of Tim Burton's new film. After that, The Lion King is due, I believe. Bambi isn't even on the horizon, yet, unfortunately.

(in reply to Timmy_Brisby_05)
Post #: 124
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 6/9/2009 8:34:50 PM   
paul.mccluskey

It has been announced that The Great Mouse Detective will get a Special Edition release next year.

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 125
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 7/9/2009 3:56:31 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

It has been announced that The Great Mouse Detective will get a Special Edition release next year.

Awesome. I haven't seen the film, and I'm still building my Disney library. Great timing for that one.

Post #: 126
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 8/9/2009 4:34:56 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

The release date is 02/11/09.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Seven-Dwarfs-Blu-ray-Bonus/dp/B002LL16LS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1252424032&sr=1-1

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

Post #: 127
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 9/9/2009 5:30:14 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

quote:

The release date is 02/11/09.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Seven-Dwarfs-Blu-ray-Bonus/dp/B002LL16LS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1252424032&sr=1-1

That must be a delayed UK release date. In Australia (it looks like) it will be released on the 14th of October. (JUST OVER A MONTH AWAY! YAAAAS! )

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/807526

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 128
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 11/9/2009 8:22:45 AM   
hitchcock

Found this on DVDtimes

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71477/disney-animated-classics--blu-ray-diamond-collection.html

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment today revealed some additional info on the new Blu-ray Diamond Collection which it is launching with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs on 6th October 2009. Essentially the Blu-ray version of the DVD Platinum Collection series , the Diamond Collection comprises of 14 titles including: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs; Beauty and the Beast; Fantasia and Fantasia 2000; The Lion King; Bambi; Cinderella; Lady and the Tramp; The Little Mermaid; Peter Pan; The Jungle Book; 101 Dalmatians; Sleeping Beauty; and Pinocchio.

Following Snow White, two titles will be selected for release each year starting with Beauty and the Beast and Fantasia in 2010 and each will be released from the Disney vault for a limited time. Disney promises that each film will be restored to the highest level of picture and sound, with 1080P picture and 7.1 surround sound, and plenty of interactive Blu-ray exclusive extras will be included.

Great news but does this mean Pinocchio and Sleeping beauty are being released under this diamond collection banner?.......i mean they've just been released,

Post #: 129
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 12/9/2009 4:15:46 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: hitchcock

Found this on DVDtimes

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71477/disney-animated-classics--blu-ray-diamond-collection.html

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment today revealed some additional info on the new Blu-ray Diamond Collection which it is launching with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs on 6th October 2009. Essentially the Blu-ray version of the DVD Platinum Collection series , the Diamond Collection comprises of 14 titles including: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs; Beauty and the Beast; Fantasia and Fantasia 2000; The Lion King; Bambi; Cinderella; Lady and the Tramp; The Little Mermaid; Peter Pan; The Jungle Book; 101 Dalmatians; Sleeping Beauty; and Pinocchio.

Following Snow White, two titles will be selected for release each year starting with Beauty and the Beast and Fantasia in 2010 and each will be released from the Disney vault for a limited time. Disney promises that each film will be restored to the highest level of picture and sound, with 1080P picture and 7.1 surround sound, and plenty of interactive Blu-ray exclusive extras will be included.

Great news but does this mean Pinocchio and Sleeping beauty are being released under this diamond collection banner?.......i mean they've just been released,

I am now convinced that Disney will be continuing the Platinum Edition line as well as introducing the Diamond Edition line.

The films listed in the article as up for a Diamond release have all been released in the past as a Platinum, so the Diamonds are like Platinum encores, but now also on Blu-Ray. Of course, Fantasia and Fantasia/2000 have not yet had Platinums, yet maybe Disney felt they were special and/or significant enough to get the full Diamond without a pre-existing Platinum. In any case, bring on the Fantasia Diamond! And also, Aladdin is not included in the Diamond line, but we've known this would happen anyway. I'm surprised at the omission of Alice In Wonderland though. I had heard that it was going to replace Aladdin's slot in the next round of Platinums (which we now call Diamonds).

The Platinum line IS continuing, the next Platinum release is Dumbo. It didn't say it in that red ad I posted a page back, but it did say "Platinum Edition" on the Ultimate Disney news page. Not only this, but The Rescuers has a Platinum release planned for 2013. Diamonds and Platinums will come out alongside each other, I'm 90% sure. I'm just not sure what other films they're going to pick for Platinum releases between Dumbo and The Rescuers. I vote for The Fox And The Hound, The Sword In The Stone, Tarzan, Pocahontas, Mulan and Lilo & Stitch.

< Message edited by Squidward Hark Bugle -- 12/9/2009 4:44:55 PM >

(in reply to hitchcock)
Post #: 130
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 12/9/2009 6:14:42 PM   
Snake-Eyes

aahh, the good ol' House of Mouse - can't say I'm a BIG fan but I do respect their legacy of work (except for that f**king blatant rip-ff of KIMBA THE WHITE LION!). THE JUNGLE BOOK and TARZAN are my personal favourites. Does anyone know if there has been or ever will be any special edition dvds of THE BLACK CAULDRON...?

I remember loving this film as a kid - it was noticeably darker and different to previous Disney Animated Features and was not very well-recieved upon it's release. The Horned King was creepy!

and how about DRAGONSLAYER? I think that was a Disney / Paramount gig but who has the dvd rights? a special edition of this film would be cool.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 131
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 12/9/2009 6:23:11 PM   
paul.mccluskey

The Black Cauldron is getting a Special Edition DVD release next year.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 132
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 12/9/2009 6:38:02 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

The Black Cauldron is getting a Special Edition DVD release next year.

Thanks paul - I'll keep my (snake) eyes open for that one.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 133
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 12/9/2009 9:25:17 PM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

I would love that Sleepign Beauty diamond!

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 134
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 13/9/2009 5:15:36 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timmy_Brisby_05

I would love that Sleepign Beauty diamond!

The recent Platinum Edition of Sleeping Beauty is still out. It hasn't gone back in the vault yet. It even has a Blu-Ray. Get it before it gets deleted or you'll have to wait 10 (fucking*) years.

*Not aimed at you, but at the Disney vault.

(in reply to Timmy_Brisby_05)
Post #: 135
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 20/9/2009 6:26:55 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Apparently the Diamond Edition line will be Blu-Ray only, which is pretty interesting. I still think that the films planned for Diamond will also have a DVD release but not under the Diamond banner, and probably with significantly less Special Features (as some of the Special Features advertised for Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs appear possibly only on Blu-Ray).

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/diamondcollection-pressrelease-0910.html

Post #: 136
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 21/9/2009 11:43:10 PM   
TheGodfather

The review of Snow White and the seven dwarfs is up @ dvdbeaver: click!

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

Post #: 137
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 22/9/2009 9:03:13 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

Simply breathtaking. Thanks for the link.

Excitement is reaching unprecedented levels, both for this release (with the obviously gorgeous restoration) and for Fantasia (and Fantasia/2000), especially when I mentally superimpose the brilliance of the Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs restoration over the imagery of Fantasia.

ONLY 21 DAYS TO GO FOR SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 138
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 22/9/2009 9:10:12 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

Simply breathtaking.

It really is. if you only look at the first comparison pic, at the details on that object next to the book. gorgeous!

Post #: 139
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 22/9/2009 9:53:36 PM   
elab49

Wasn't the bulk of this done for the fancy release a few years back? It doesn't look any different to my current copy. It is kind of funny that Amazon have included all the reviews of that edition on the sales page for this.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 140
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 22/9/2009 9:57:44 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Wasn't the bulk of this done for the fancy release a few years back? It doesn't look any different to my current copy.

Probably, maybe, who knows? The important difference between the two is that I don't own the first one.

quote:

It is kind of funny that Amazon have included all the reviews of that edition on the sales page for this.

Amazon sucks in that regard. The reviews posted are displayed on the pages of all editions of a particular thing, so even though the reviews themselves may have been specific to a particular product, you wouldn't know which one they're referring to because it's displayed on all of them.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 141
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 22/9/2009 10:18:29 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

quote:

Wasn't the bulk of this done for the fancy release a few years back? It doesn't look any different to my current copy.

Probably, maybe, who knows? The important difference between the two is that I don't own the first one.

It was remastered/cleaned up (whatever the right name is) for this release. Besides, the blu-ray looks awesome. No way that it looks the same as the old dvd version.

Post #: 142
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 22/9/2009 10:22:22 PM   
elab49

The last one was too. And as a completely ignorant layman I'd assume the clean up to that was a substantially larger leap than this given all the bumf that came with it showing the major difference in the print and going on and on about the amount of work and a very long booklet detailing bits of it. Which may be why I'm not seeing a great deal of difference here.

Doesn't the Beaver link say you don't see as much difference with animation as you do with live action?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 143
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 22/9/2009 10:45:17 PM   
TheGodfather

It`s too bad that they don`t compare it with the older dvd versions so we could really see how much of a difference it is.
On the other hand: I really, really couldn`t care less if it does look better or not. I don`t own the film yet so I`ll be getting the blu-ray for sure. Am I understanding you correctly that you say that the older dvd version looks the same as the blu-ray? cause that`s quite hard to believe

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 144
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 23/9/2009 12:09:50 AM   
Dpp1978

quote:

The last one was too. And as a completely ignorant layman I'd assume the clean up to that was a substantially larger leap than this given all the bumf that came with it showing the major difference in the print and going on and on about the amount of work and a very long booklet detailing bits of it. Which may be why I'm not seeing a great deal of difference here.

The last release was made by scanning a high quality print, the result of which was then cleaned up by Lowry Digital.

For this release Disney went back to the original negative; it was a completely new, start from scratch restoration. The new techniques available are far more advanced than those used on the old release. The last one was primarily done for DVD. This one is a state of he art, archival grade restoration and as such this is very possibly the last restoration Snow White will ever need.

quote:

Doesn't the Beaver link say you don't see as much difference with animation as you do with live action?

It does but I disagree. One of the hardest things to render well in video is line art. Also a lot of the subtlety of the painted backdrops is lost on DVD. The Disney DVDs are far better than most, but the Blu rays released thus far have both been remarkable. As they also came with a DVD copy I have compared them and there is a marked difference; even more than the one you see when you look at screen captures.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 145
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 23/9/2009 4:18:25 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

Apparently the Diamond Edition line will be Blu-Ray only, which is pretty interesting. I still think that the films planned for Diamond will also have a DVD release but not under the Diamond banner, and probably with significantly less Special Features (as some of the Special Features advertised for Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs appear possibly only on Blu-Ray).

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/diamondcollection-pressrelease-0910.html

And as if to prove me right, here are the cover images:

The 2-Disc DVD edition is called just that, "2-DISC DVD", while the 2 Blu-Ray disc with bonus DVD edition is called "Diamond Edition". I get it now.

Post #: 146
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 28/9/2009 7:55:12 PM   
hitchcock

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71582/snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs-r2uk-bd-in-november.html

new info

Post #: 147
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 28/9/2009 8:02:51 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: hitchcock

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71582/snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs-r2uk-bd-in-november.html

new info

It sucks for you guys in the UK that you get it nearly three weeks after we get it in Australia.

We get it in 15 days!!!

(in reply to hitchcock)
Post #: 148
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 30/9/2009 2:12:49 PM   
Cruisecontroller

The new Snow White release has an audio commentry by Walt Disney! He died over 40 years ago so that must be a selection of audio interviews as I don`t think they did full length audio commentries for movies when he was alive!

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

Post #: 149
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 5/10/2009 10:55:11 PM   
adambatman82

You can pick up the blu-ray/dvd combo pack for just $9.99 as part of a voucher based offer over at amazon.com at the moment. Details are over at slashfilm -

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/10/05/geek-deal-snow-white-diamond-edition-blu-raydvd-combo-for-999/

(in reply to hitchcock)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI