Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread..

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 9/3/2009 4:41:50 PM   
DouglasG

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather
Thanks
-edit- oh yeah, forgot to ask: does it come with a nice shiny & embossed slipcase as well, like the Dutch version? gotta love `em

And I think those covers are ugly as sin

I believe it does come with the embossed cover, the Sleeping Beauty one did.

and as for Moontheloon, I've avoided Disney sequels as the majority tend to be poorly done, I personally would just go for The Little Mermaid

http://www.cdwow.com/The-Little-Mermaid-Special-Edition-2-Disc-Set/product/view/1068836

Journalism Student and Film Festival Programmer

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 61
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 9/3/2009 6:48:13 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: DouglasG

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather
Thanks
-edit- oh yeah, forgot to ask: does it come with a nice shiny & embossed slipcase as well, like the Dutch version? gotta love `em

And I think those covers are ugly as sin

I believe it does come with the embossed cover, the Sleeping Beauty one did.

and as for Moontheloon, I've avoided Disney sequels as the majority tend to be poorly done, I personally would just go for The Little Mermaid

http://www.cdwow.com/The-Little-Mermaid-Special-Edition-2-Disc-Set/product/view/1068836

That is a very good price for the little mermaid I must say, I don't normally use cdwow but I might just do so for that. I know the sequels will probably be pretty bad but I always have this idea that they might be better than I thought, after buying the exorcist boxset and expecting the sequels to be shite I found that although II was tedious and just shit... III was actually really quite good. Same with the Omen, with Number 2 being really quite good (though obviously not as good as the original)

However, I might just pick up the little mermaid and then maybe the sequels later as they don't tend to rise in price quite the same way the main films do.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to DouglasG)
Post #: 62
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 9/3/2009 7:01:56 PM   
DouglasG

I'd snap it up quickly, the nearest reliable seller is Play.com at 15.99

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 63
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 9/3/2009 9:42:24 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: DouglasG

I'd snap it up quickly, the nearest reliable seller is Play.com at 15.99

I have indeed just bought it (damn and I was trying to cut down too, that makes two disney DVD's bought today ) But I am was quite glad you could use paypal, I didn't fancy sitting entering all my card details in the library. I look forward to watching it again, I know my sister is a massive fan of this one, but I've not seen it in years.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to DouglasG)
Post #: 64
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 12/3/2009 7:55:53 PM   
moontheloon

Okay, I know I am late off the mark here but I have just seen that the blue ray for Pinocchio comes with the DVD for the film as well as the film in Blu Ray and the extras on a blu ray disc as well. What is the point of this? Is it to try and get people to get the blu ray copy who don't yet have a Blu Ray player, so they have the film on DVD to watch now but have the film on Blu Ray in the future when they finally get round to buying Blu Ray stuff, or is this something else that I am unaware of.

Whatever it is it is now quite tempting to pick up the blu ray copy (as someone who doesn't have a blu ray player but would probably invest in one in the future) as I would have the DVD now and wouldn't have to reinvest in the Blu Ray in the future perhaps. Damn Disney. With Blu Rays beccoming cheaper now is this Disney's drive to sell more Blu Ray copies?

Could someone explain to me what the deal is so I can make an informed decision on this?

Post #: 65
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 12/3/2009 10:00:54 PM   
Dpp1978

It's a kids film which will typically get played on a loop in kids bedrooms. This is especially true for younger kids who are very unlikely to have a Blu-ray player. My cousin went through about 5 copies of The Little Mermaid on VHS when she was little; she watched it every day, sometimes more than once.

Instead of forcing parents to buy either just the DVD or an additional copy for the kids as well as the Blu-ray, Disney have included an extra copy on DVD so everyone is happy.

I think it's a really nice idea.

Post #: 66
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 12/3/2009 10:18:30 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

So do I. I think that must be why I am suspicious, I'm always looking for the catch... Hmm, now i have to make the decision whether I pay the couple of extra quid and get the blu-ray copy (with the DVD) or whether I just plump for the DVD.. cheaper, but not as good an investment for the future.

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 67
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 12/3/2009 10:56:13 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

quote:

So do I. I think that must be why I am suspicious, I'm always looking for the catch... Hmm, now i have to make the decision whether I pay the couple of extra quid and get the blu-ray copy (with the DVD) or whether I just plump for the DVD.. cheaper, but not as good an investment for the future.

I don't think you'll find one.

Disney as a company has its faults, but their customer service to DVD and now Blu-ray is usually really good. They offered a disc swap when it was found that there was a problem with the Blu-ray version of Pirates of the Caribbean; I got my disc changed even though it is the US version. They didn't have to, but I'm impressed they did.

A lot of people asked for a DVD copy with the Blu-ray and they complied. It makes a change when a major corporation listens to what their customers want, rather than tries to tell them.

Post #: 68
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 12/3/2009 11:14:45 PM   
PB~!

I have ordered my Pinocchio DVD and cannot wait for it to arrive.  Disney are so smart with the whole vault thing.  I've been desperately looking forward to this for years now.

no guilt in life, no fear in death

Check out my Hitchcockian Adventure in Lists and Top 10's
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2209701

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 69
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 12/3/2009 11:29:25 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: PB~!

I have ordered my Pinocchio DVD and cannot wait for it to arrive.  Disney are so smart with the whole vault thing.  I've been desperately looking forward to this for years now.

You say smart I say Bastards

I only say that with the amount of time we've got to wait between releases and the difficulty of getting some of their great titles (such as the lion king which is now so so expensive) However, from a business view it's good... And also I guess if they are constantly bettering the picture and sound and adding new great features (their extras are usually second to none) Then it's a good thing.

I think I will get the Blu Ray Pinocchio, as it does seem to be exactly the same release but with the added DVD. It will mean not being able to watch the extras for quite some time.. but nevermind. It is a decent investment.

(in reply to PB~!)
Post #: 70
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 13/3/2009 2:54:40 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Just got the Pinocchio Platinum Edition on 2-disc DVD, and when I looked inside I found, to my surprise, that there's also a bonus audio CD with some Disney songs on it. There are a couple from Pinocchio, one from Aladdin, and a couple of others that I can't remember right at this moment. Nothing mindblowing, but a nice surprise nonetheless.

I watched the film last night, and the restoration is perfect in every way. I highly doubt that the picture quality was this good in 1940; it's just too good. Haven't checked out the Special Features yet, but as someone who is becoming more and more Disney fanatical, I definitely will at some point.

I will also buy the Blu-Ray of Pinocchio at some point, so I can have in my possession the best-ever version of Pinocchio, even though I can't play it yet. I will do exactly the same for Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs in October and for Fantasia and Fantasia/2000 next year.

The way the releases have been ordered and planned have gotten me into a right frenzy. With (what can be considered the Top 3) coming out one after the other. Bang bang bang.

Pinocchio, a childhood favourite, in March 2009. STRIKE 1
Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs, another childhood favourite, which I love more than Pinocchio, in October 2009. STRIKE 2
FANTASIA, the greatest ever Disney film, and my second favourite film ever, AND Fantasia/2000, a more-than-worthy retread, in March 2010, STRIKE 3.

These "strikes" will have an effect as yet unknown to me, but I just hope I don't go insane with pleasure.

Is anyone else THIS excited about Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs and FANTASIA as I am?

Music is the best.

200 Motels

Post #: 71
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 13/3/2009 9:45:01 AM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Definetly, yeah I've been waiting for Fantasia for as long as I can remember, Snow White too! 

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 72
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 15/3/2009 12:06:21 AM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

Only few months until the Bolt DVD!

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

(in reply to DouglasG)
Post #: 73
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 15/3/2009 9:27:11 AM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

When's it out?

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Timmy_Brisby_05)
Post #: 74
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 16/3/2009 12:41:50 PM   
coolstar

I am very impressed with the new Pinocchio dvd they really have cleaned it up . The image looks sharp and the colors stand out

I am going Deep Deep undercover

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 75
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 20/3/2009 5:40:42 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: coolstar

I am very impressed with the new Pinocchio dvd they really have cleaned it up . The image looks sharp and the colors stand out

Yes, totally, and it's even better than Sleeping Beauty, which was better than 101 Dalmatians. Excitement over the upcoming Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs and Fantasia Platinum Editions is reaching unprecedented levels.

Music is the best.

200 Motels

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 76
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 21/3/2009 6:26:21 PM   
paul.mccluskey

It looks like we'll be getting more Disney Treasures.  Bonus features for The Complete Goofy were passed yesterday by the B.B.F.C.

< Message edited by paul.mccluskey -- 22/3/2009 11:17:19 AM >

My DVD Collection

Do not walk away in silence...

Post #: 77
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 22/3/2009 10:11:18 AM   
hitchcock

Got Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty BDs (14 Ebay new!!)
as a ardent DVD, Animation and Disney fan im really pleased that i have these classics in my collection i never started my collection on DVD because at the time of wanting to start the collection several were out of prin and hard to obtain, so i'm starting new with BD quick question ''are Disney starting the Platinum/classic collection new on BD are is it just a continuation of the series? also am i right im guessing it'll be some time before we see Jungle Book on BD? seeing as it was only just released ( in Disney terms ) on DVD

''Are you watching closley?'' The Prestige

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 78
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 24/3/2009 4:40:43 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Does anyone know when Bambi is due for a Platinum Edition (or otherwise) rerelease?

Music is the best.

200 Motels

(in reply to hitchcock)
Post #: 79
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 24/3/2009 9:18:04 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

Does anyone know when Bambi is due for a Platinum Edition (or otherwise) rerelease?

Apparently it was 2005 it was last released (I thought it wasn't that long ago) I picked it up then as it is one of my favourite Disney films, and as it has taken 8 years to bring back snow white, I'd say a few more years, though you can get the 2 disc special edition for 7 on amazon...

Post #: 80
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 27/3/2009 7:22:20 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

Apparently it was 2005 it was last released (I thought it wasn't that long ago) I picked it up then as it is one of my favourite Disney films, and as it has taken 8 years to bring back snow white, I'd say a few more years, though you can get the 2 disc special edition for 7 on amazon...

I probably will, as being Bambi-less is almost as bad as being dickless, and I can't wait four or five more years for it.

On a lighter note, I today bought the Platinum Edition of The Jungle Book, which I feared had been deleted, but I found it for AUS$20! Awesome. I now have two Platinum Editions: The Jungle Book and Pinocchio, and Over the next week I should also accumulate One Hundred And One Dalmatians and Sleeping Beauty. Can't wait.

Music is the best.

200 Motels

Post #: 81
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 28/3/2009 3:35:54 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Pete's Dragon is getting the Special Edition treatment:

I found this on the Ultimate Disney DVD forum. Someone got this ad in the American DVD version of Bolt.

My DVD Collection

Do not walk away in silence...

Post #: 82
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 28/3/2009 9:11:18 PM   
TheGodfather

Have to say that I don`t know that one...

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 83
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 28/3/2009 9:42:49 PM   
DouglasG

Watched Pinocchio, absolutely rich and beautiful. Loved it!

Post #: 84
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 3/4/2009 6:23:54 PM   
mafyou

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs announcement at DVDTimes

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to DouglasG)
Post #: 85
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 4/4/2009 3:06:48 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs announcement at DVDTimes

It's interesting that the Blu-Ray comes out a few weeks before the DVD. Another ploy to get people into Blu-Ray. I'll probably end up getting both the Blu-Ray (with bonus DVD) AND the DVD editions, just because I'm so megafuckinghyped and Disney-obsessed.

Music is the best.

200 Motels

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 86
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 4/4/2009 6:06:09 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs Blu-Ray cover art revealed:

Music is the best.

200 Motels

Post #: 87
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 4/4/2009 8:17:05 PM   
TheGodfather

Wow, that looks awesome!

Post #: 88
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 5/4/2009 12:13:53 PM   
hitchcock

GOD DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!

Although it still sucks that we don't get Disney Live

''Are you watching closley?'' The Prestige

Post #: 89
RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. - 5/4/2009 8:23:58 PM   
TheGodfather

It says on the cover that it does have Disney live? or is that only on the US cover? 

(in reply to hitchcock)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: The Disney Platinum Edition DVD/Bluray Thread.. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI