Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Blogs

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Blogs Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Blogs - 7/4/2009 11:44:42 PM   
ilovebeerme

@ Mr Dead - That is a good one. I think it needs just a little bit of chilli though (will amend the recipe). Not enough to make it hot, just a bit to give it some background heat. Or eat it with some harissa. The recipe makes enough to feed a small army by the way, I was eating it for days

@Hobbitonlass - That's the idea! The crumble is one of my favourite 'childhood memories' desserts. At my urging the crumble part was a bit too thick this time, but that's easily sorted.

Thanks again for reading

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 31
RE: Blogs - 8/4/2009 7:41:02 AM   
Base

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

To be honest I have no idea what they are.
I hear them mentioned a lot but must admit I've never read anyone's.
I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that they are just "online diaries". Quite what the attraction of sharing your day with the rest of the world is, I don't know. 

Depends if the person writing it has anything interesting to say. This one is quite good:

http://randomreality.blogware.com/

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 32
RE: Blogs - 8/4/2009 1:47:09 PM   
ilovebeerme

Chili Crab Linguine tonight. It's one of those 'I'm feeling lazy as hell' meals. It takes about 15 minutes from fridge to plate and it tastes like you slaved away for hours .

With the summer days coming up in the UK it's perfect.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 33
RE: Blogs - 8/4/2009 2:04:47 PM   
paul_ie86

I have written a post on The Wire season 1 if anyone wants to read it

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 8/4/2009 2:18:10 PM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 34
RE: Blogs - 8/4/2009 8:21:34 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovebeerme

Chili Crab Linguine tonight. It's one of those 'I'm feeling lazy as hell' meals. It takes about 15 minutes from fridge to plate and it tastes like you slaved away for hours .

With the summer days coming up in the UK it's perfect.

Ok I am trying this. But ermmm where do you get your crab meat from? Is it already cooked when you get it? I am cluess.  Apart from that it sounds easy enough.

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 35
RE: Blogs - 8/4/2009 11:23:42 PM   
ilovebeerme

The stuff you get in the supermarket in tubs is cooked. I was dubious as hell at first but the guy at the fish market said it was great and I should try it if I can't get fresh; now I use it more than fresh . The stuff I get is vacuum sealed and certainly tastes fresh. It isn't as good as one an hour off the boat, but it's a lot more convenient.

At the fishmonger/market they will usually be cooked too. If you get them dressed - just the main shell with all the crab stuffed in it then you're ready to go. If you have a bit of time it can be great fun to buy a whole crab and spend some time breaking it up. The only problem there is that I often end up eating half the crab as I go

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 36
RE: Blogs - 10/4/2009 1:24:10 PM   
ilovebeerme

Ok, help settle an argument:

Best meal of the day? Breakfast, lunch or dinner? The poll is up in the usual place......

Post #: 37
RE: Blogs - 14/4/2009 12:47:39 PM   
Mr Dead

quote:

@ Mr Dead - That is a good one. I think it needs just a little bit of chilli though (will amend the recipe). Not enough to make it hot, just a bit to give it some background heat. Or eat it with some harissa. The recipe makes enough to feed a small army by the way, I was eating it for days

Thanks again for reading

Well i made the Harira Soup over the Bank Holiday and I found it superb!! The smells that filled the kitchen were amazing as i whacked all the various spices in...
I followed your suggestion and put a couple of Chillis in which did provide a nice warming background definitely one i'll be trying again when i've managed to eat my way through this batch!  

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn
I don't know whether I should be in love with you Dead or afraid of you!

my sig is not quite as witty or clever as Circe's

A thinker and a fighter since day 1 of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post #: 38
RE: Blogs - 14/4/2009 11:52:19 PM   
ilovebeerme

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Dead

quote:

Thanks again for reading

Well i made the Harira Soup over the Bank Holiday and I found it superb!! The smells that filled the kitchen were amazing as i whacked all the various spices in...
I followed your suggestion and put a couple of Chillis in which did provide a nice warming background definitely one i'll be trying again when i've managed to eat my way through this batch!  

That’s fantastic, I’m glad it worked out. It’s a perfect dish for when you have a bit of time to spend preparing, not because it takes ages and is complicated but it just lends itself well to pottering about. I tend to stick on some tunes and just let the time pass me by. While it’s sputtering away on the stove just kick back with a book and a glass of wine and let those smells drive you to the edge of madness. I bet you had a taste before it was served up; one more than is required to check the seasoning I mean

Really is nice to hear it was a success. If you want to post your above post on the comments section of the blog that would be great

Got some great recipes coming up soon – mushroom lasagne, roast rack of lamb, pumpkin risotto, spaghetti carbonara…list goes on.

< Message edited by ilovebeerme -- 14/4/2009 11:53:39 PM >

(in reply to Mr Dead)
Post #: 39
RE: Blogs - 15/4/2009 12:02:38 PM   
Mr Dead

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Dead

quote:

Thanks again for reading

That's fantastic, I'm glad it worked out. It's a perfect dish for when you have a bit of time to spend preparing, not because it takes ages and is complicated but it just lends itself well to pottering about. I tend to stick on some tunes and just let the time pass me by. While it's sputtering away on the stove just kick back with a book and a glass of wine and let those smells drive you to the edge of madness. I bet you had a taste before it was served up; one more than is required to check the seasoning I mean

Really is nice to hear it was a success. If you want to post your above post on the comments section of the blog that would be great

Got some great recipes coming up soon – mushroom lasagne, roast rack of lamb, pumpkin risotto, spaghetti carbonara…list goes on.

No problem....all posted. Looking forward to seeing some of the other recipies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn
I don't know whether I should be in love with you Dead or afraid of you!

my sig is not quite as witty or clever as Circe's

A thinker and a fighter since day 1 of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post #: 40
RE: Blogs - 30/6/2009 9:23:43 AM   
David Somerset

Hi all, I too have recently started a movie blog at http://theincrediblesuit.blogspot.com/ and am looking at getting it 'out there', so thanks for your tips. Will have a look at the other ones mentioned on this thread.

Would be good if Empire did a feature on readers' blogs! (hint hint )

(in reply to Mr Dead)
Post #: 41
RE: Blogs - 30/6/2009 11:32:37 AM   
adambatman82

Seeing as this thread has had a bit of a resurrection I thought that I might as well give an update of how mine is going.

I recently moved over to Wordpress, as blogspot became downright unusable after its update a few months back. Wordpress is a much more professional looking system though, and while it costs me $10 a year to run it really is worth it. Two months back I joined a coalition of other blogs, whereby once a month we each discuss the same film. Were called The Cineastes, and its been fun. Wordpress has a really good statistic system, and im getting almost 3000 unique ISP's a month, which is ten times what I expected. I'm looking at ways to expand it at the moment, but am struggling to come up with something that remains true to the original intention of the site. Oh, I connected each of my reviews to the relevent page on IMDB, as a contributor, and that brings in a huge amount of viewers. Last week I was getting upwards of 200 visitors a week for my piece on Transformers 2, thanks to a review embargo in the States that meant mine was only a handful of "professional" reviews linked over at IMDB.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 1/7/2009 12:22:45 AM >

(in reply to David Somerset)
Post #: 42
RE: Blogs - 5/7/2009 11:22:37 PM   
adambatman82

One of the really great features of wordpress is that you can see what people have googled to find your site. Most things are relatively harmless, if not a little bit odd with the likes of "nicolas cage jonny guitar" (sic) and "are jamie lee curtis and tommy lee jones" popping up of late. Anyway, recently a number of searches for the name "lina leandersson" and variations incorporating seedy terms and dubious sounding words have seen people sent to my site. I didnt think anything of it until i realised that Lina Leandersson is the little girl from Let The Right One In. Its really creeped me out actually, that there are people out there looking for photographs of a teenage girl and stumbling across my site by accident. I know theres very little I can do about this sort of thing, but it really has opened up a section of the internet that I had (thankfully) never been exposed to before.

Post #: 43
RE: Blogs - 5/7/2009 11:50:36 PM   
norters the red

I tend to go to my blog with an idea, realise its a shit idea then just log out. Then repeat the process. Some good ones on here though, kudos.

Last few films seen:

1. Close Encounters 5/5
2. Master with the Cracked Fingers 3/5
3. Ice Age 3 3-D 3/5
4. Amadeus 5/5
5. Texas Chainsaw (original) 4/5

Your scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception. Yet you somehow brazenly declare that seeing is believing!

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 44
RE: Blogs - 6/7/2009 3:26:31 AM   
Boring Prophet

Really loving Kitchen Decanted, ilovebeerme.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 45
RE: Blogs - 6/7/2009 7:06:49 AM   
ilovebeerme

Thanks BP!

It's been pretty quiet of late due to technical problems and then a month of chaos at work and moving house. I'll be back to a more regular schedule in the next 2-3 weeks. Still need to finish the burger challenge and write all about Barcelona and south of Spain

(in reply to Boring Prophet)
Post #: 46
RE: Blogs - 6/7/2009 9:44:31 AM   
David Somerset

adambatman82, that is a good feature with wordpress, but you can get similar stats from sites like sitemeter which you can attach to a blogspot site and it will also tell you how people arrived at your blog.

Probably better to have it all in one place but I'm liking blogspot at the moment for being simple enough for me to use!

Post #: 47
RE: Blogs - 6/7/2009 11:06:57 PM   
Sahara Desert

I got swayed by some very funny blogs I've started following recently and set up a blog over the weekend. No readers, two very long entries and several hours spent fiddling have left me hoping I actually bother to follow this through. Ideally I'd like it to take the place of keeping a journal, something I avidly did before I finished college.

@thesaharadesert

Smug Animals

Mine!

Post #: 48
RE: Blogs - 6/7/2009 11:53:03 PM   
ilovebeerme

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

One of the really great features of wordpress is that you can see what people have googled to find your site. Most things are relatively harmless, if not a little bit odd with the likes of "nicolas cage jonny guitar" (sic) and "are jamie lee curtis and tommy lee jones" popping up of late. Anyway, recently a number of searches for the name "lina leandersson" and variations incorporating seedy terms and dubious sounding words have seen people sent to my site. I didnt think anything of it until i realised that Lina Leandersson is the little girl from Let The Right One In. Its really creeped me out actually, that there are people out there looking for photographs of a teenage girl and stumbling across my site by accident. I know theres very little I can do about this sort of thing, but it really has opened up a section of the internet that I had (thankfully) never been exposed to before.

Sign up for Google Analytics (which is free) and it'll tell you which country and city viewers come from, when they look at your site, which and how many pages they look at and keeps track of your weekly increase/decrease in hits etc. It's a great tool.

Post #: 49
RE: Blogs - 7/7/2009 1:36:14 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sahara Desert

I got swayed by some very funny blogs I've started following recently and set up a blog over the weekend. No readers, two very long entries and several hours spent fiddling have left me hoping I actually bother to follow this through. Ideally I'd like it to take the place of keeping a journal, something I avidly did before I finished college.

Keep it up, I only started mine as a journal of sorts, to trace my viewing habits, and now I'm getting 3,000 hits a month and looking at ways to expand. All it takes is dedication!

(in reply to Sahara Desert)
Post #: 50
RE: Blogs - 7/7/2009 1:38:26 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Sign up for Google Analytics (which is free) and it'll tell you which country and city viewers come from, when they look at your site, which and how many pages they look at and keeps track of your weekly increase/decrease in hits etc. It's a great tool.

I actually signed up for it a while back, at the request of a film PR company who wanted a record of my unique hits, but I found it to be way too complicated for my feeble mind. Im really not that computer literate, wordpress is pretty much the most complex piece of software I actually use! I blame being brought up on macs, as they've made me incredibly lazy in that respect!

Post #: 51
RE: Blogs - 7/7/2009 1:40:36 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Somerset

adambatman82, that is a good feature with wordpress, but you can get similar stats from sites like sitemeter which you can attach to a blogspot site and it will also tell you how people arrived at your blog.

Probably better to have it all in one place but I'm liking blogspot at the moment for being simple enough for me to use!

Blogspot is cool (and free, which wordpress isnt completely) but a few months back they had a bit of a redesign, and it really clashed with my computer. Text wouldnt display properly, photo's wouldnt upload and I just got fed up of it. I think wordpress looks better too, and has a very nice dashboard!

Post #: 52
RE: Blogs - 7/7/2009 10:25:50 AM   
David Somerset

Somebody viewed my blog by clicking a link from this forum thread at 11.06 last night... whoever it was was, it was the 100th visit to my blog, so congratulations and thanks very much! You win absolutely nowt but my gratitude!

Keep visiting

< Message edited by David Somerset -- 7/7/2009 10:28:20 AM >

Post #: 53
RE: Blogs - 7/7/2009 11:37:36 AM   
Sahara Desert

quote:

Somebody viewed my blog by clicking a link from this forum thread at 11.06 last night... whoever it was was, it was the 100th visit to my blog, so congratulations and thanks very much! You win absolutely nowt but my gratitude!

Keep visiting
It was me. I demand a tangible prize.

@thesaharadesert

Smug Animals

Mine!

Post #: 54
RE: Blogs - 8/7/2009 2:32:42 PM   
David Somerset

Of course. Send me your address and incontrovertible evidence that it was you and I'll pop round with whatever your heart desires

BTW, if you enjoyed the blog, there's a new post every day (so far), *cough please keep coming back cough*

(in reply to Sahara Desert)
Post #: 55
RE: Blogs - 11/7/2009 5:14:43 PM   
Chris Smithee

quote:

Of course. Send me your address and incontrovertible evidence that it was you and I'll pop round with whatever your heart desires

BTW, if you enjoyed the blog, there's a new post every day (so far), *cough please keep coming back cough*

I've been checking out the blog as well, great so far, I'm actually thinking of starting one of my own again, althrough the last one really didn't last very long, so I'll have to come up with something for it first.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man

Post #: 56
RE: Blogs - 12/7/2009 1:02:12 PM   
David Somerset

Thanks for that Chris, much appreciated. Let me know when your blog's up and running, I'd love to take a look.

In the meantime I'm setting up a mailing list for my blog to let people know when there's a new post, if anybody wants to be on it PM me and I'll add you to the list. Cheers!

(in reply to Chris Smithee)
Post #: 57
RE: Blogs - 30/7/2009 1:10:53 AM   
steffols

OK, I reawakened my dormant blog out of boredom the other day, and have so far written a whole 3 posts!  I really enjoy writing on it.  Its about my life as a cashier and the kind of things that keep me going at work, but also anything that takes my fancy really.

The Life and Time of A Scottish Cashier

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

Post #: 58
RE: Blogs - 28/9/2009 9:40:46 AM   
David Somerset

BBC Entertainment bigged up my blog on Twitter last week because, quite by accident, I became their 7,000th follower. Bearing in mind that, therefore, 7,000 people should then have been aware of my blog, even a 1% hit rate should mean an extra 70 hits. The result? An extra 7 hits!

Hey ho. As I keep telling myself, I'm writing it for myself, and if anyone else likes it that's a bonus. Right? ;-)

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 59
RE: Blogs - 29/9/2009 2:51:57 PM   
markdavies

http://thegreatnorthstrum.blogspot.com/

All about how I completed the Great North run, whilst playing a bluegrass banjo.  There`s banjo versions of Led Zeppellin, Bob Dylan, The Jam, Pet Shop Boys, and S Club 7 (seriously) songs in there, and also training reports concerning walking around Middlesbrough with a banjo on me back!

He made me look ridiculous,
And a man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Blogs Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI