Sliders

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Sliders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sliders - 16/10/2008 10:27:59 PM   
Joedini

My god what went wrong with this show?! It started off so well, the first season was great. Real social issues, genuinally good character moments. The pilot was pretty amazing truth be told. Season 2 was equally as impressive with equally good moment, the 'squeaky gate' incident being a favourite.

Then 3 came along and things went a bit strange. It started ripping off movies each week and episodes became bland. There were some high points, The guardian was brilliant as was the christmas episode and I personally liked the way the season ended (well the last scene anyway. Killing Arturo was a bad move and the introduction of sex symbol Maggie didn't help matters.

The real killer to the whole thing was 4.1 'Genesis' which my description would not be able to fully convey how bad it was, think Krypton!

So anyone else a previous fan who feels dirty for being one?
Post #: 1
RE: Sliders - 16/10/2008 11:46:14 PM   
kumar

loved it as a kid, and watched them recently again a year ago. 1st season was good, 2nd was ok too, then 3rd came and it went tits up. those silly aliens came and pretty much ruined it all, especially with there shitty war cries. i always rememebered the squeky gate incident!!

how did it get so shit?

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 2
RE: Sliders - 17/10/2008 10:15:01 AM   
Timon

Ah the squeaky gate incident....don't jump Quinn! You're home!

Pesky mothers fixing things...

Loved it as a kid, wasn't it the stock show that replaced The Man From Uncle on Fri evenings after whatever Gerry Anderson show they were showing at 6pm on BBC2? Those were the days...

"What if you could find a brand new world, right here on Earth, Where anything is possible Same planet... Different dimension... I've found the gateway!"

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 3
RE: Sliders - 17/10/2008 12:45:31 PM   
Captain Black

Just the other day I was bemoaning how shite BBC2 (and also Channel 4) telly around the 6pm slot has become, so this is quite a timely blast from the past.

I'm not sure of the season it actually happened, but Slider was originally on a network, but when it was cancelled, the SciFi channel picked it up, with a greatly reduced budget. I guess this was when Arturo was swapped out for Maggie. John Rhys Davies apparently wrote his own ending for that one as he'd become increasingly dispirited by the direction the show was taking. The BBC managed to broadcast some of those episodes out of order, leading to Arturo being killed one week....and then present the next.

I also recall that as it was approaching the end of its BBC run (which probably matched up with the original network run in the States) they absolutely burned through the episodes, show them at all hours (including that post watershed ep where Wade ended up playing in a band who happened to be vampires - you can't really make that shit up can you?).

Memory is hazy, but I seem to recall the early episodes being decent and they had some good variations on alternate people. The 'gatepost' really would have worked quite nicely as a proper ending  for the serie, but really it never had the heart or depth of Quantum Leap, even with Davies giving a nice line in ambiguity to the character dynamics.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: Sliders - 17/10/2008 1:18:14 PM   
spark1

tracey torme created show after doing eps for TNG but the suits wanted changes to sex up show and he left in season 2.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 5
RE: Sliders - 17/10/2008 1:29:22 PM   
igotnewlegs

Yes, I was also a fan of Sliders in its first few seasons and thought the balance of the characters was a particular strength. Killing off Arturo was really killing off the show as he really was the character keeping it all together. I also remember the dinosaur episodes and think that may have been an idea best suited to a show with a bigger budget.

Maggie was hot though, if I remember correctly. I think there was this shower scene with her in (though i might be confsuing that with Enterprise), which was nice.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 6
RE: Sliders - 17/10/2008 1:34:41 PM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Just the other day I was bemoaning how shite BBC2 (and also Channel 4) telly around the 6pm slot has become, so this is quite a timely blast from the past.

I haven't really thought about that but you're right. What happened to the days you nearly always had something decent to watch around that time? TNG, Deep Space Nine, Buffy, Quantum Leap - all great shows that occupied that slot. Maybe there's just a lack of those type of shows being made now.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 7
RE: Sliders - 17/10/2008 1:49:55 PM   
Timon

Anyone else remember Seven Days? That filled that slot for a while.

They should just start reshowing all the classics like Thunderbirds, Man From Uncle, The Champions and The Persuaders. I loved it when they use to show them on Friday evening on BBC2.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 8
RE: Sliders - 17/10/2008 6:42:51 PM   
Captain Black

I think Seven Days is one of my least favourite SF shows (you had a thread about that didn't you? I'll stick it in the index when I find it) to be honest. It's got so many core problems that it just bugged me so much each time I watched it.

C4 lost the plot when they got the rights to the Simpsons and paired it with Hollyoaks every night of the week. I haven't got a clue what BBC2 show these days, but they have shown any good 'genre' stuff for quite some time.

ITV4 have picked up some of the slack in terms of showing memorable '60s shows.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 17/10/2008 9:18:36 PM >

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: Sliders - 17/10/2008 6:57:16 PM   
Tech_Noir

Kari Wuhrer - nothing more to say.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 10
RE: Sliders - 17/10/2008 8:46:47 PM   
theoriginalcynic

The Profesor left because he wasn't happy with the Kromag storyline.  He wanted it changed but they were moving more towards that direction - he was spot on.  The Kromags destroyed the show.   It was still watchable in the fourth season but once Quinn left hu? How can you make a show when your lead has gone? Still I'd probably buy it to complete my collection...

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 17/10/2008 8:48:09 PM >

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 11
RE: Sliders - 19/10/2008 11:59:42 AM   
Joedini

I hated the ending too, the one character who we still care about Rembrandt, possibly sacrifices his own life .. a 50/50 chance and we never find out what happened

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 12
RE: Sliders - 18/12/2008 10:27:29 PM   
holty23

Nice to see a Sliders thread here, im just watching it again now.

Really loved the show, especially the first three seasons.

There was just something about it, despite the writing not being paticularly great and some of the acting suspect at times.  Perhaps it's just nostalgia now but i'm really enjoying watching it despite the above.

Any thoughts on a reboot?  I'd love to see the show return as it's been a while since i've watched a "proper" sci-fi programme (which i've enjoyed anyway).

Sliders still getting some love out there?

'Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in friggin' charge here.'

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 13
RE: Sliders - 18/12/2008 10:31:07 PM   
Joedini

I love the idea of a reboot. As much as I would love to know what happened to Remmy after those final moments the show was to buggered to carry on in its current form.

A reboot that sticks to the style and feel of the first two seasons, maybe even a little darker could be ace.

Lets write it

(in reply to holty23)
Post #: 14
RE: Sliders - 27/2/2011 2:18:07 AM   
Joedini

So I've been doing a rewatch.. Season 4 was interesting. Not as bad overall as I remembered, although Charlie o Connell was an abysmal actor so everytime Colin was centre stage I struggled to maintain an interest.
Two episodes into season 5 now and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, it's coping quite well without Quinn and maggie is a lot more likeable. The next one is a kromagg one though so it could all be about to go downhill!

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Sliders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI