Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Recommend a 'Call Of The Wild' type book.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Recommend a 'Call Of The Wild' type book. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recommend a 'Call Of The Wild' type book. - 11/10/2008 6:34:51 AM   
Castor Troy

I want to read some books (mainly factual/true) about people/someone going into the wilderness. I'm gonna be getting Into The Wild (I've seen the film) which is exactly the sought of thing I'm after. Also along the lines of Guy Grieves' Call Of The Wild in which he left his office job to go and spend a winter building a cabin in Alaska (amazing).

Any more good suggestions along these lines?

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.
Post #: 1
RE: Recommend a 'Call Of The Wild' type book. - 14/10/2008 5:23:33 PM   
geekpenguin

...When I read the post title, I thought you meant Jack London's "Call of the Wild". Silly me.

You might like Nicholas Evans' books, particularly "The Loop" but it's a bit overly romantic, which gets annoying. I still haven't managed to finish it and I started it in 2005. But, you never know :) you might like it! It's well written, even if it is a bit of a slog.

"When you can't run, you crawl; and when you can't crawl anymore, when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you."

Batman Begins *****
The Dark Knight **** and a half...

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 2
RE: Recommend a 'Call Of The Wild' type book. - 15/10/2008 12:18:39 PM   
pedros

Not sure if this is the sort of book you mean but the one I thought of is called The Dig Tree and the author's name is Sarah Murgatroyd or something similar. It's about the ill fated trip of a couple of explorers who set out across the middle of Australia to try and establish a route from Melbourne up to the north coast. Bill Bryson mentions the trip in Down Under.

Also check out the BBC4 series on at the moment called Wilderness Explored - the 2nd episode is on tonight which is also about exploring the middle of Australia. Last weeks episode, which you might still be able to catch on iplayer, was about the Canadian Arctic and European exploration of it in the past 2 centuries. It was an interesting and beautiful programme, highly recommended.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to geekpenguin)
Post #: 3
RE: Recommend a 'Call Of The Wild' type book. - 19/10/2008 1:15:45 AM   
sharkboy

Its maybe not exactly what you're in the market for, but if you like adventure writing, then I can heartily recommend anything by Tim Cahill.  A former Rolling Stone journalist, he was commissioned by them to write material for their new travel magazine, which focused more on extreme trips.  Well written and incredibly amusing, Cahill is Bill Bryson for adrenalin junkies.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 4
RE: Recommend a 'Call Of The Wild' type book. - 19/10/2008 9:56:24 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

I want to read some books (mainly factual/true) about people/someone going into the wilderness. I'm gonna be getting Into The Wild (I've seen the film) which is exactly the sought of thing I'm after. Also along the lines of Guy Grieves' Call Of The Wild in which he left his office job to go and spend a winter building a cabin in Alaska (amazing).

Any more good suggestions along these lines?

You should try to scan some of the ethnography books.  Difficult to pinpoint some in specific but I can highly recommend Getting to Know Waiwai: Amazonian Ethnography by Alan Tormaid Campbell.

It's the story of the Wayapi and their leader Waiwai, it looks at the destruction of the Amazon rainforest and considers the future for them.  It's a very moving book and well worth picking up.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Recommend a 'Call Of The Wild' type book. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI