Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dead Space

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dead Space Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dead Space - 9/1/2009 12:29:51 PM   
Skiba

I'm still very early on in this but I really don't like the assault rifle it just takes and age to dismmember anything!

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 121
RE: Dead Space - 9/1/2009 12:30:01 PM   
rikkie

Must confess I did the first run-through with just the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter and the Ripper, so all the other weapons are a bit of a mystery to me. I did briefly try the Flamethrower but thought it was a bit shit. I'll give them a go on the third run though!

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 122
RE: Dead Space - 9/1/2009 12:37:02 PM   
Captain Black

Pulse rifle, from my experience: also a bit shit. In fact I think I'm going to load up a previous save point and sell that sucker to get some more ammunition.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 123
RE: Dead Space - 9/1/2009 1:20:16 PM   
BigKovacs

With a few upgrades the Assault Rifle has fantastic range and is good with crowds, it's also the best long ranged weapon when your Plasma Cutter runs low. While the Plasma Cutter is the best all rounder the Force Gun is a great all rounder even with little or no upgrades, it's just like the flak cannon in Unreal.

All weapons have varying effectiveness depending on the enemy but I'm also not too convinced with the flamer...

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 124
RE: Dead Space - 11/1/2009 11:04:20 PM   
thepluginbaby

I'm working through all the achievements, just got the one gun achievement and am now on my third playthrough now.  My favourite gun is the contact beam, when fully maxed out you can shoot the arm of a brute off as he comes running towards you.  Its hilarious, especially when you think of how tough they were when you just had the plasma cutter and maybe a couple of rounds for the line gun. 

Has anyone downloaded the big force gun from xbox live?  Its free and although not too different from the normal force gun its still fun to use.   

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 125
RE: Dead Space - 12/1/2009 10:26:54 AM   
BigKovacs

I maxed out the Force Gun and it is damn fun.

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 126
RE: Dead Space - plot - 23/1/2009 11:23:59 AM   
Invader_Ace

OK, I hate to admit it, but after completing it last night, I am a little cnfused to the plot.  Can someone clear it up?

Kendra [spoiler] agrees that the Marker will stop the Hive.  Then she double crosses you and takes the Marker for herself (I believe she mentions a company at this point)[/spoiler] why?

Once you get [spoiler] to the planet, you unite the Marker only for her to take it again.  At this point she tells you that you were wrong to bring the Marker back.  That you were a pawn of the Marker all along. [/spoiler]  Huh?  If that's the case, why [spoiler] did the Hive repeatedly try to kill you? [/spoiler]

Lastly, I notice that one of the achievements is for a shooting gallery, I never came across one, what chapter is it in?

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 127
RE: Dead Space - plot - 23/1/2009 12:35:17 PM   
Invader_Ace

Thanks.
However, you've un spoilered my post!
Post #: 128
RE: Dead Space - plot - 23/1/2009 12:45:39 PM   
BigKovacs

... fuck... I've just PM'd a Mod so hopefully get it cleared away. School boy error.

Ah, i thought the editing function had been disabled. Really must stop this mid week drinking!

< Message edited by BigKovacs -- 23/1/2009 12:47:20 PM >

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 129
RE: Dead Space - plot - 23/1/2009 3:21:51 PM   
Invader_Ace

Edit came back. Collective Woohoo all round I think.
Overall, I enjoyed this game, (after all it is RE4 in space) I agree with a lot of the points made in the video review earlier though, it is by the numbers and startling, not scarey.  However, it did what it did very well.  The lack of displays and the integrated HUDs was excellent, I want more of that in games.
Just started a second play through and found out about the "Line on the Floor" targetting system, D'oh!  However, I don't like it, seems to make it a bit easy. I also forgot about the one gun achievment and started mangling everything with my heavy weapons, the only way I can do that now is to start a new game specifically to get it or attempt it on Impossible!

A tip to anyone just starting, play it through on Hard straight off.  I played it on Normal and apart from a few times, it wasn't too taxing.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 130
RE: Dead Space - plot - 23/1/2009 3:31:07 PM   
BigKovacs

Yeah the only really original thing is the menu system which is brilliant, really helps with immersion and speeds things up greatly. It's a simple game done very, very well and I look forward to more.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 131
RE: Dead Space - plot - 26/1/2009 8:49:26 PM   
dr. salvador

is this worth getting? i was interested in it initially but the mixed reviews put me off it a bit

"Say hey Johnny boy, the battle call.
United we stand, divided we fall.
Together we are what we can't be alone,
We came to this country, you made it our home."

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 132
RE: Dead Space - plot - 26/1/2009 9:04:01 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Mixed reviews? I've only seen one negative review and that was the US official xbox mag who rated it poorly because Fable II an MS Studio game was being released on the same day.

It's the best game of last year, and a must have for any fan of survival horror.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to dr. salvador)
Post #: 133
RE: Dead Space - plot - 27/1/2009 2:07:35 AM   
thepluginbaby

I would second that, definitely one of my favourites from last year, if your into survival horror its the best one around (and I have just played the Resi5 demo).  Its not the hardest game but theres something satisfying about dismembering those ugly alien bastards...

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 134
RE: Dead Space - plot - 27/1/2009 9:35:39 AM   
dr. salvador

i do like a bit of survivial horror so i'll pick it up then

is it fairly cheap anywhere?

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 135
RE: Dead Space - plot - 27/1/2009 11:17:29 AM   
rich

Alot of stores have it around £25, Gamestation I think

Meanwhile...

Post #: 136
RE: Dead Space - plot - 27/1/2009 12:15:46 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I hear so much good about this yet found the demo incredibly underwhelming. Is the actual game far superior to the demo, does the demo do the game a slight discredit? I love survival horror but the upcoming Resi Evil 5 seems to be my only other option.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 137
RE: Dead Space - plot - 27/1/2009 12:30:52 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I hear so much good about this yet found the demo incredibly underwhelming. Is the actual game far superior to the demo, does the demo do the game a slight discredit? I love survival horror but the upcoming Resi Evil 5 seems to be my only other option.

I'm guessing not many people here played the demo as it came out long after the release of the game, so it really depends where in the game the demo is set and how true to the actual game it is. Least to say it's amazing and gets better and better as you go through the game, so if for example the demo is set in the first chapter, it won't nearly compare to the latter ones. Not that I'm saying Chapter 1 isn't good either, because it is. You have to remember that most demos are altered so that they play better as a demo, so it may not necessarily be anything like the full game would play. I'd definitely give it a try, also try to play it at night or at least in a room with the volume turned up, the lights off and the curtains drawn.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 138
RE: Dead Space - plot - 27/1/2009 12:39:43 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

cheers SHP, one other thing. What are the environments like? I'm not really a fan of games that are set on spaceships or such similar locations as i kind of find the environments boring and lacking in variety? I can't tell you what point in the game that the demo was from, but it did nothing to convince me that the environments would be anything hugely special.

Post #: 139
RE: Dead Space - plot - 27/1/2009 12:45:36 PM   
Tafferel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

I'm guessing not many people here played the demo as it came out long after the release of the game, so it really depends where in the game the demo is set and how true to the actual game it is. Least to say it's amazing and gets better and better as you go through the game, so if for example the demo is set in the first chapter, it won't nearly compare to the latter ones. Not that I'm saying Chapter 1 isn't good either, because it is. You have to remember that most demos are altered so that they play better as a demo, so it may not necessarily be anything like the full game would play. I'd definitely give it a try, also try to play it at night or at least in a room with the volume turned up, the lights off and the curtains drawn.

For what it's worth i played the demo first and it doesn't do the game justice in my opinion. For a start it doesn't explain how to use kinesis and the other one (I forget the name). The game itself is much better than the demo would suggest

Post #: 140
RE: Dead Space - plot - 27/1/2009 1:35:56 PM   
BigKovacs

As a whole package it's a fantastic Survival Horror game and the ships interiors are Incredibly oppressive and well designed aesthetically (for an industrial ship anyway), it actually looks like a working ship and everything has a purpose. It is all dark and dank though so don't be expecting vast colourful expanses. It does do dark and dank like the best of them though!!!

(in reply to Tafferel)
Post #: 141
RE: Dead Space - plot - 27/1/2009 2:31:52 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

oh thats cool Big Kovacs, what i didnt want was just a dull, lifeless interior that might as well be lots of metal walls copied and pastied and repeated but i assume that like Bioshock, the level design reflects consistent imagination and effort?

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 142
RE: Dead Space - plot - 27/1/2009 2:51:29 PM   
BigKovacs

I'd say so yeah, the art direction has the same care and attention of Bioshock. Have a look at youtube, it may have a few later levels with different maps but beware spoilers.

Post #: 143
RE: Dead Space - plot - 27/1/2009 2:56:26 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Oh ace mate. I mean appreciate that the art direction in Bioshock is particularly exceptional and i dont necessarily expect anything of that level, but something that at least showcases continual imagination would be great. Sounds like i should deffo try and pick this up at some point!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 144
RE: Dead Space - plot - 27/1/2009 3:00:54 PM   
Hooch0959

quote:

Oh ace mate. I mean appreciate that the art direction in Bioshock is particularly exceptional and i dont necessarily expect anything of that level, but something that at least showcases continual imagination would be great. Sounds like i should deffo try and pick this up at some point!

Do it, Do it, Do it.

It rocks, one of my favourite games of last year that generally made me shout out loud at times.

Tis all good

"Stand away from those stern cleats! Back home we get a taxidermy man, he's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"

"I have a gift for disaster"

Post #: 145
RE: Dead Space - plot - 27/1/2009 3:16:22 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

I mean obviously it doesn't look like a city built in the 20's but it really looks like a working industrial space ship built in 2270. Nothing's tacked on and everything seems like it has a purpose or was left there by accident, rather then placed by a designer. The palate is rightly pretty bland but is off set with strong cyans or oranges for digital displays and the lighting and particle effects make for a great contrast.

I'm gushing but I love this game.

Post #: 146
RE: Dead Space - plot - 3/2/2009 12:24:38 PM   
Peter Griffin

Started this yesterday and i love it.The atmosphere, graphics and gameplay are superb.
Only thing is i think it might spoil Resident Evil 5 because in Dead Space you can walk and shoot while in Resident Evil your glued to the spot.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 147
RE: Dead Space - plot - 3/2/2009 7:45:41 PM   
dr. salvador

i played the 'dismemberment demo' from xbox live and i kept on being killed by those little bugs

is the actual game better than the demo suggests and is there a difficult selection?

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 148
RE: Dead Space - plot - 3/2/2009 8:01:50 PM   
From_Hell

I played the demo after buying the game, and I've got to say the demo does the game absolutely no justice whatsoever. The game was one of my favourites of last year, and if you like survival horrors, you'll love this. The best thing about it is there are some really good shocks in it - it does what it says on the tin.

Might be a bit early to say, but I've played the Resi 5 demo and I'd say Dead Space has taken the theme and done much better with it compared to RE5....

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

Post #: 149
RE: Dead Space - plot - 18/2/2009 6:44:03 PM   
the anomaly

This has arrived today. I played for five mins but I won't get stuck in properly till I finish a few more games. Well mainly Prince of Persia.
Any thing I should keep in mind before I start? I have had a look through the thread. Seems most of you started on Hard. So I probaly will. SHP also said to not use the downloaded free suit as you can not upgrade it or somthing so I will remember that. Anything else?

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dead Space Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI