Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dead Space

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dead Space Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dead Space - 24/10/2008 9:22:27 AM   
paulyboy

I'm only on Medium, which strangely I've found quite tough once into the second chapter, I'm running out of ammo left, right and centre. Upgraded to a Level 2 suit, increased the damage on the Plasma Cutter and brought myself a Pulse Rifle, which makes a great noise but is a little fiddly to slice limbs off with and it eats ammo like nothing I've seen.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 61
RE: Dead Space - 24/10/2008 10:42:27 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

How could Nath play it during the day????!!!!! Horror games must be played on your own late at night with no lights on. Its the law.

As much as that would be my prefered setup I just have to cope with being able to play it when I can, but I do close the curtains, turn off all the lights, crank up the volume and put the subwoofer on full for extra scares.

I managed to get some played at night last night, but the missus had to watch, but to be fair I thought that was the least I could do seeing as she paid for it, along with Far Cry 2 and Portal: Still Alive, and no bottles of wine and Mighty Boosh boxsets went her way.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 62
RE: Dead Space - 24/10/2008 11:04:22 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

How could Nath play it during the day????!!!!! Horror games must be played on your own late at night with no lights on. Its the law.

As much as that would be my prefered setup I just have to cope with being able to play it when I can, but I do close the curtains, turn off all the lights, crank up the volume and put the subwoofer on full for extra scares.

I managed to get some played at night last night, but the missus had to watch, but to be fair I thought that was the least I could do seeing as she paid for it, along with Far Cry 2 and Portal: Still Alive, and no bottles of wine and Mighty Boosh boxsets went her way.

Haha, I've already told 'er indoors I'm written off this weekend and she seems okay with it. I'm getting my copy at lunch so should be able to comment on monday. I'm just gutted that so many great games are coming out within such a short space of time, it's good but I'm finding it sort of stressful!

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

Post #: 63
RE: Dead Space - 24/10/2008 3:32:44 PM   
BigKovacs

Just got it, all I need now is an 8 pack of Stella and I'm done for the night.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 64
RE: Dead Space - 25/10/2008 10:36:55 AM   
TrendMeUp

Those boxes have ammo in!? No wonder I was struggling! I KNEW they must have had a use. Pah!

Oh and the Pulse Rifle is toss. I ended up selling it. Get The Ripper and the line gun, the first makes a great all-round weapon and the line gun is one of those amazing weapons you save for the really tough bastards.

< Message edited by TrendMeUp -- 25/10/2008 10:38:31 AM >

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 65
RE: Dead Space - 25/10/2008 4:28:06 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Yeah, no-one seemed to realize the boxes with the flashing green beacons were item boxes that you stmp in or throw with kenesis to open, but without telling you how would you know? They all just look like more of the boxes etc lying around for decoration. Glad I found out by accident.

I've bought the ripper, but put it in the safe, I'm gonna try just using the original gun to get the achievement and if I ever start to struggle and I realise I need another weapon I'll make a seperate save file and crack out the ripper and maybe get the flamethrower.

I don't know what it was like on normal, but on hard using the asteroid cannon manually was not easy at all, I'd hate to try it on difficult.

I'm up to the fifth chapter now, it's taking me about an hour per chapter and I'm gonna keep taking my time, Im loving this game. I was trying to get all logs and schematics but I've missed one locked door out that I didn't have a power node to open, I've forgotten where it was now though, can you go back to the tram and take it back to previous sections?

Also a tip for everyone, don't download and use the Elite Suit, it prevents you from upgrading to other suits.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 25/10/2008 4:32:49 PM >

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 66
RE: Dead Space - 26/10/2008 7:14:57 PM   
Diggler

Very impressed with this game so far. I love games such as this and Bioshock where it feels a little claustrophobic.

I bought this on friday along with Spiderman: WoS (don't bother with it). I don't know why, but I started with Spiderman first. I finished that this afternoon so I've played Dead Space for about 2 hours so far (had to wait for it to get dark outside first so I could close the curtains, turn the lights out and knock the sound up!). I'm taking things slowly at the moment as I don't want to miss anything. Every room I enter gets searched properly for fear of missing one of those things needed to upgrade your weapons.

It reminds me of Bioshock (which is good as I feel that's the best game on the 360). I will definetly be keeping this game as I fancy going through it a 2nd time fully equiped. I'll also try that extra difficulty setting that gets unlocked.

Spiderman is getting traded in on friday for Fallout 3 but I'll be keeping this in my collection for certain.

Highly recommended. 

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

Post #: 67
RE: Dead Space - 27/10/2008 10:34:48 AM   
BigKovacs

Well I'm on chapter 10 and am totally blown away by it. It's not the most original game ever, it's got Resi 4's game mechanics and Systemshock2's plot (more or less) but believe me I'm not complaining as Dead Space takes those elements and shines them up very nicely. The graphics are consistantly brilliant and as already mentioned the sound and music is world class, that mixed with the attention to detail in art direction really puts you on board the Ishimura. Anoher testaent to the art direction is how the Ishumura actually looks like an original design where somehow nearly all sci-fi/horror ships/space station always manage to look the same.

The combats also fantastic, it's Resi 4 sweaty palmed steady aiming and Half Life 2's physics throwing madness. The weapons are horribly effective and whilst have an original look and effect on the enemies they make for very tactical gameplay, you can blag it with the Plasma Cutter but much later on in the game, on hard, I had to fold and invest in some meatier weapons.

There's is one thing that's totally original in Dead Space and that's the menu system and the interaction with logs, exposition etc. It's all handled live from Isaacs suit as you play so as your listening to the plot develop you can be gearing yourself up through the menu and walking to your next fight. There's almost no time wasted in this game and the map/beam thing that shows you the way to your next objective shortens down time when you've gone off the beaten track.

All in all thumbs up, brilliant game!!!!!

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 68
RE: Dead Space - 27/10/2008 11:31:04 AM   
Diggler

What I'm liking so far is the lack of monsters that I've encountered (midway through Chapter 3). Because there aren't dozens of monsters in every room it makes it much more tense as you genuinely don't know when the next encounter will be. Also not having tons of ammo makes you a lot more careful when aiming at legs & arms.

Can't wait to get in from work tonight and get another 2 hours in.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 69
RE: Dead Space - 27/10/2008 11:40:32 AM   
BigKovacs

There's a nasty quarantine lock down in a very, very small room with a lot of enemies in around chapter 8 (won't say where) that's a right bitch and makes for an incredibly tense battle. i think the emeny/ammo balance is just about right to make the game challenging but doable. Definately hoard ammo for the end of Enviromental Hazard and make sure you pack ranged weapons, I don't want to give too much away but after the boss battle I was fucked as I had such little ammo left and had to revert to a previous save.

It reminds me of the original Resi where pistol ammo was gold dust! Great stuff.

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 70
RE: Dead Space - 27/10/2008 11:58:03 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

What did you go for Kovacs? Normal or Hard?

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 71
RE: Dead Space - 27/10/2008 12:10:55 PM   
BigKovacs

I'm on hard and just managing to get through. The fights are getting progressively tastier but it's the lack of ammo that's doing me in, I pride myself on my shooting and I'm generally coming out of fights okay but I'm realising now that I'm not making full use of the stasis field and should probably run away from more fights. Your on hard arn't you SHP? How far in are you?

Post #: 72
RE: Dead Space - 27/10/2008 1:13:54 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

I'm on hard and just managing to get through. The fights are getting progressively tastier but it's the lack of ammo that's doing me in, I pride myself on my shooting and I'm generally coming out of fights okay but I'm realising now that I'm not making full use of the stasis field and should probably run away from more fights. Your on hard arn't you SHP? How far in are you?

Yeah, I'm on hard, still only in Chapter 5, unfortunately I was busy all weekend, so haven't played it since Thursday. I'm fairing quite well, but like you I find myself too unwilling to run away from a fight, and waste ammo and health needlessly killing enemies.

I'd say it's the perfect difficulty really, any harder and I'd really be fighting my way through this game with a lot of deaths and restarts, any easier and it'd be a bit of a doddle.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 73
RE: Dead Space - 27/10/2008 1:30:39 PM   
BigKovacs

I'd say it's just about right too. From 6 on in though I found it got a bit cheeky. I can't stress enough about the boss battle at the end of level 6, save ammo and use ranged weapons. I shafted myself and it took me two chapters of running away and stasis'ing to get me fighting fit again and sweet jesus you'll be needing that ammo later.

It's a bit of a dumb thing to say as I only just realised after chapter 6 but when you have an enemy on it's own, and you have a good stasis supply it's worth freezing them and meleeing them if you can run away. I can't believe I only just thought of doing it such late doors

Post #: 74
RE: Dead Space - 28/10/2008 10:27:53 AM   
Diggler

To be honest BigKovacs, I never really thought of freezing them either until last night. I used it for the first time on those big things that run at you and require shooting in the back. Made it much easier. I find the other thing (telekenisis) a little fiddly to use so I only use when required (to move things etc).

Midway through level 4 after an hour or so last night and still loving it. If the hour per chapter it's roughly taking continues, I should have this wrapped up by friday ready to sart to Fallout 3.  

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 75
RE: Dead Space - 28/10/2008 11:58:38 AM   
BigKovacs

Yeah I'd say it's roughly a hour per chapter. I'm part way through chapter 10 and have clocked up 11 hours. The stasis field is a god save later on and I'd say totally necessary in some scraps, I've recently spent 4 ndes upgrading it so I can suspend enemies for ages, it's very handy and conserves ammo, it just means I had to sacrifice some fire power. I do have a level 5 suit though which is the nuts.

To be honest I'm really struggling with chapter 10, I'm at one of those points where I'm forced to fight and I can't seem to get out of a fight with enough ammo/health to carry on. I'l crack on though as I want it done for friday also.

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 76
RE: Dead Space - 28/10/2008 2:32:20 PM   
rich

Just got to level 10 and its been great so far, if probably the least original game I've seen in a while, its got to be the most disgusting in places! Just got the level 5 suit and nearly maxed the Plasma Cutter on medium difficulty. Found myself short of ammo a few times but you can usually buy more. Must be worth playing through at least twice to get everything - there are loads of doors that I didnt want to use a power node to open. 

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 77
RE: Dead Space - 28/10/2008 3:12:45 PM   
BigKovacs

I always opened those doors Rich as they hold lots of ammo and usually have enough money to almost buy a new node anyway. Have you gone through the cantina yet? I'm stuck there at the mo, well I say I'm stuck I know what to do but keep getting my arse handed to me.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 78
RE: Dead Space - 28/10/2008 7:58:10 PM   
rich

Just finished part 11! Which bit was the cantina? Got tricky a few times back there, mainly because of the monsters that spew smaller ...things from their stomachs mixed in with those ones where you shoot the limbs and then the limbs come after you... Glad they put that zero-g basket ball game to break up the combat 

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 79
RE: Dead Space - 29/10/2008 10:12:47 AM   
BigKovacs

***SPOLIERS ALERT***

The cantina is in the start of chapter six where Temple, the engineer you were following gets staked in the head by the mad doctor. You get a lift down into it and you have to fight two of those tall bastards which break up into face hugger/spider type enemies and get the crew key. I say it's near the start, its in the opposite direction of the ZeroG basket ball. I enjoyed it as well, much like the shooting gallery. its good you get rewarded too.

***SPOILER OVER***

I've just started chapter 11 now and I'm really pleased with where the plot is going, I though it was cut and dried by chapter 9. Looking forward to getting this wrapped up. If there are any Mighty Boosh fans out there, has anyone seen the Tony Harrison necromorph?

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 80
RE: Dead Space - 29/10/2008 2:15:09 PM   
rich

Well although I'm not too clear on some aspects of the plot, it was a great thrill ride all round, and now I can play again wearing the level 6 suit which looks like some sort of stormtrooper. Still havent tried all the guns or seen all the rooms, so its gotta be worth doing all over again. Shame you cant change the difficulty once you've re-started though, finishing also unlocks "Impossible" mode

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 81
RE: Dead Space - 29/10/2008 2:32:48 PM   
BigKovacs

Ah, I was hoping that when you finish it you could do the play through on easy, rather than bounce through on hard again. Still it's good that you carry your stuff over, I'm also looking forward to a level 6 suit, I thought 5 was the top one.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 82
RE: Dead Space - 30/10/2008 7:11:45 PM   
Dark Knight

This got delivered today but I resisted putting it in until it had started to get dark. I have just complated the first level and loved every spine-tingling minute of it. Even at this early stage, it is pant wettingly scary - almost a perfect game for Halloween (which is why I bought it and all the good things that you guys have said about it)

Great visuals - immense tension - and sound effects like nothing before. I dare anyone not to get the creeps when you start hearing voices coming from out of the ether!

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 83
RE: Dead Space - 30/10/2008 9:51:43 PM   
FlangeBags

Has anyone else watched the anime prequel?
It's rather good, in a gory, disturbing kind of way.

Not had a chance to play the actual game yet though.

My homepage - http://allendonnelly.squarespace.com/

My debut novel, BUY IT (please)! - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Eyes-ebook/dp/B005ZJ56GY

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 84
RE: Dead Space - 31/10/2008 10:49:05 AM   
BigKovacs

Just finished it on hard last night. Nice twisty ending (arguably predictable though) but it's a shame there's a bit of a spoiler in the trailer.

Love it and am working through it for the achievements and having an absolute blast with my tripped out weapons and armour!

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 85
RE: Dead Space - 1/11/2008 7:01:23 PM   
Diggler

I made the mistake of 'having a quick 10 minutes' this morning on Fallout 3. 7 hours later and I'm still playing it. I said I wouldn't open Fallout 3 until I'd finished Dead Space as I knew this would happen. Curse my addictive personality.

I'm midway through level 5 at the moment. I'm back on it tonight as I'm really enjoying it still.

I'll resist the temptation to put Fallout 3 back on until I've finished the normal playthrough.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 86
RE: Dead Space - 3/11/2008 11:50:24 AM   
paulyboy

Completed this last night on Medium, those who started on Hard were right to do so I reckon, Medium was just a little too easy. One or two moments aside I never really struggled to be honest and the final boss was the biggest piece of piss since Bioshock, the Level 6 boss in the Zero-G enviroment was tougher.

For those that completed it on hard did the achievement for "hardest difficulty" open up or does it look as though that has to be the impossible mode?

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 87
RE: Dead Space - 3/11/2008 12:34:49 PM   
BigKovacs

It needs to be in impossible, you do get a cheevie for doing it on hard though... I think. Im in Fallout now but I do aim to return to this to finish my second jaunt and I may give impossible a shot. the end boss was laughably easy though, I hardly used up and ammo at all on it.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 88
RE: Dead Space - 4/11/2008 4:51:12 PM   
Bumfluff

You're not wrong about the last guardian. Way too easy. Still enjoyable though.

Now to sit patiently until Friday...

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 89
RE: Dead Space - 4/11/2008 4:58:01 PM   
Peter Griffin

Chrimbo can't come soon enough, can't wait to play this sucker in the dark with the breadknife fetching me beers.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dead Space Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI