Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dead Space

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dead Space Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dead Space - 16/10/2008 1:10:08 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

What can I say? I'm an old school cassanova, I know what women want.

Other than money, flowers, a kitten and for me to 'LEAVE THEM ALONE' what else is there?

I always try a bottle of Wine and a Mighty Boosh box set. back on Topic I'm now swayed to get Dead Space on release, I may be able to ponce an early copy through work but it's not definite. The more footage I watch the better it gets.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 31
RE: Dead Space - 16/10/2008 1:12:21 PM   
Peter Griffin

Just do what i do, ask her to buy it for you or your leaving her...obviously there is a risk involved but i think it's worth it.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 32
RE: Dead Space - 16/10/2008 1:34:01 PM   
BigKovacs

We just have a good understanding that in our spare time she enjoys bullshit TV and I like playing computer games and were quite happy going off to do either one. I darn't threaten her with leaving her for a game, she could hold it over me for a Sex in the City DVD and I'm not prepared to risk it.

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 33
RE: Dead Space - 16/10/2008 1:41:37 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

she could hold it over me for a Sex in the City DVD and I'm not prepared to risk it.

And so you shouldn't
Back to the game, i'm hoping there's some big scares awaiting me as i love survival horror.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 34
RE: Dead Space - 16/10/2008 2:04:12 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Griffin

quote:

she could hold it over me for a Sex in the City DVD and I'm not prepared to risk it.

And so you shouldn't
Back to the game, i'm hoping there's some big scares awaiting me as i love survival horror.

Well if EA's comments are anything to go by you're going to be disappointed, they're distancing themselves from the survival horror and claiming it to be a horror shooter and likening it more to Bioshock than Resi.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 35
RE: Dead Space - 16/10/2008 2:09:54 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

And so you shouldn't

Well if EA's comments are anything to go by you're going to be disappointed, they're distancing themselves from the survival horror and claiming it to be a horror shooter and likening it more to Bioshock than Resi.

Well Bioshock had a few so i'm happy with that Nath.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 36
RE: Dead Space - 16/10/2008 2:11:42 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

And so you shouldn't

That's a strange stance by EA as Survival Horror and Horror Shooter usually share a great deal of aspects bar the camera angle. They're insane to actually believe that people will fall for it not being Resi4 in space. It blatantly is and it's nothing to be ashamed about as it's picking up some great reviews. Weird.

Post #: 37
RE: Dead Space - 16/10/2008 10:03:29 PM   
dr. salvador

i have to say this looks like a quality game (similar to resi 4 + bioshock) so i most likely will get it soon after it comes out

the IGN was really positive and the playr review was also good

here's the IGN review: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/918/918892p1.html

"Say hey Johnny boy, the battle call.
United we stand, divided we fall.
Together we are what we can't be alone,
We came to this country, you made it our home."

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 38
RE: Dead Space - 22/10/2008 12:07:49 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

My copy has just been dispatched from ShopTo, I guess I'll be playing through this tomorrow seeing as they still haven't sent out my copy of Far Cry 2, despite getting the stock in yesterday the gits.

(in reply to dr. salvador)
Post #: 39
RE: Dead Space - 22/10/2008 12:26:35 PM   
BigKovacs

Lucky bugger, I'm really looking forward to this now. Gutted I've got a bag of shit 28" old LCD screen to scare the shit out of myself on.

Post #: 40
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 2:01:19 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Wow, not too far in, haven't even finished the first chapter yet, but this game is absolutely brilliant, it's made me glad Far Cry 2 didn't get sent to me for today/Wednesday as it would have had me switching between the two games.

Decided to skip Easy and Normal (not that I'd ever do easy) and go straight in at the deep end on hard mode, definitely not regretting it, it's been really enjoyable so far, no idea if it would have been any different on Normal mind you.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 41
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 2:07:45 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

Decided to skip Easy and Normal (not that I'd ever do easy) and go straight in at the deep end on hard mode, definitely not regretting it, it's been really enjoyable so far, no idea if it would have been any different on Normal mind you.

Apparently easy & medium are too easy and hard is about right so i think you did the right thing Nath.

Post #: 42
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 2:58:38 PM   
BigKovacs

Do you know if the easy, medium and hard settings stack for achievements SHP? I've looked about online and can't seem to get a confirmation. Also are you finding it scary? I've got mine booked and cannot fucking wait!

Post #: 43
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 3:11:15 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

There's been one or two jumps, but no real scares as of yet, but you are always on edge waiting for something to jump out behind you... or infront of you. I guess it'd be even better if the volume was up louder and the lights were out.

I'm unsure if the achievements stack, but you only get the achievements for different difficulties for completing the game, not for each chapter. I'm assuming they do stack, though knowing EA they probably won't

I'm really enjoying it, although it's becoming very difficult now (I assume I'm at the end of the first chapter). I advise anyone who starts on hard to conserve their stasis charge and ammo, otherwise you're gonna struggle once you get multiple enemies on the screen, I guess in that sense it's just like Resi Evil, and there have been a lot of Bioshock like elements to the game so far.

Definitely the best horror game on the 360 so far (not that there are many), but it blows crap like Alone in the Dark out of the water.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 44
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 3:28:20 PM   
BigKovacs

There are cheevies for chapters so looks like your still on the first chapter. it's also worth doing it on hardest if you like cheevies or easy if you want to just finish it. personally I'll go for hardest too. Damn i want this game!!

Post #: 45
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 3:32:12 PM   
BigKovacs

Forgot this Cheevies, maybe spoilers, not sure.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 46
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 3:34:11 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Yeah, I just finished the tough section I was at and finished the first chapter, the chapter achievements are for any difficulty, so it's just finish the game on Easy, Medium and Hard that are affected by difficulty, so I'm hoping they'd stack.

The only reason I chose hard and not medium was, if the achievements stack I won't have to play through it again (and I'd wanted to have if they didn't stack and I'd only done it on Medium) but there's Far Cry 2 to play aswell so I don't want to be playing through again straight away, although I will play through it again at some point, definitely holding onto this game and not trading it in. Not gonna rush through it though, I'm enjoying taking my time with it and enjoying it.

Luckily the game doesn't becoming frustrating and the difficulty doesn't take away from the game, so I made the right choice and I'm really enjoying it.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 47
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 3:36:26 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Just realised there's a free suit to download on Market Place, will still have to buy it in the game though. I think it's just one of the regular suits only in Xbox 360 Elite colours, so Black with a Green glow.

Post #: 48
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 3:54:27 PM   
BigKovacs

A space suit yeah? Does Isaacs appearance/armour change as you upgrade his gear?

Post #: 49
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 5:27:22 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

A space suit yeah? Does Isaacs appearance/armour change as you upgrade his gear?

Yeah, basically the second suit you get (the first upgrade) is the one feature in most screenshots and videos.

There's a weapon upgrade machine that increases, reload speed, damage etc.

Then there's a store a bit like Resi's merchant but in the style of a Bioshock Circus of Values that sells new weapons, medical kits and new suits etc.

I really like having your health and stasis meters on your back so that you're always aware of it without looking away from the action.

Great game overall so far, my only slight complaint us the buttons, too many two button combos that you forget, and for some reason I'm always pressing RB to run when infact it's LB to run and RB to stomp, I guess from other games especially football ones using RB to run is the norm, so I'm hoping there's an option to change the bumpers over.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 50
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 5:45:38 PM   
BigKovacs

Yeah LB to run and I assume left thumb to move sounds a bit awkward, a bit of a cramp inducer.

Post #: 51
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 5:51:19 PM   
TrendMeUp

I've had this game since Tuesday and I really adore it. I'm up to Chapter 7 on Medium. SHP, you may end up regretting starting on Hard. There are a couple of REALLY tough bosses/set pieces and I've found myself up against a hoard of Necromorphs with absolutely zero ammo two or three times and found myself legging it to somewhere remotely safe/a store to buy shit from.

As for the achievements, there's a 150 point one for finishing on Hard, and then a 50 point one for finishing it on any difficulty. So I guess 50 for Easy, 50 for normal and 200 for Hard. Plus 20 points for finishing each of the twelve chapters. It's one of those games that getting achievements on is relatively easy, but getting all 1000 would take more than 1 playthrough.

All in all it's a stunning game (Far Cry 2 sat in my room practically untouched, it felt boring by comparison) and part of me wishes Fable 2 wasn't out tomorrow as it'll mean Dead Space doesn't get a look in for a while.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 52
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 5:58:28 PM   
BigKovacs

How the hell did you get it on Tuesday Trend?

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 53
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 6:11:20 PM   
paulyboy

Isn't the achievement for completing it on the "hardest" difficulty setting actually for the Impossible difficulty that opens up once you complete the game ala Gears of War and Insane mode? Or is the achievement just for Hard mode?

I only ask because busting your balls on Hard for the achievement just to find you have to go through Impossible afterwards is the kind of thing that happens to me.

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 23/10/2008 6:16:20 PM >

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 54
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 6:48:38 PM   
TrendMeUp

Kovacs: Via work. I wish I could say I did something exciting like write strategy guides, but I just work at a game store.

Pauly: You might be right actually, I didn't know there was a hidden difficulty. Really glad I didn't go for Hard now.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 55
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 7:28:42 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrendMeUp

Kovacs: Via work. I wish I could say I did something exciting like write strategy guides, but I just work at a game store.

Pauly: You might be right actually, I didn't know there was a hidden difficulty. Really glad I didn't go for Hard now.

I hope there isn't a secret mode, not because I'll have busted my balls, but because as I said, as of tomorrow I'll have Far Cry 2 aswell, and I don't want to play through it twice in a roe when there's another game to play.

I'm still glad I chose hard though, there's been nothing too taxing so far, just a few rooms I've had to redo after dying a few times, but nothing frustrating, I'm actually enjoying the challenge, had I gone through on medium I think I'd have enjoyed it less as it wouldn't be that difficult.

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 56
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 7:33:24 PM   
DJ Satan

There were some comments on Penny Arcade about the difficulty in this game.
quote:

I chose to play the game on Normal, because for a very long time Normal meant Normal - as in, if you are playing a videogame, you are a gamer, and Normal for you constitutes bitch-ass hard to the greater population. Given my full playthrough, Normal is sometimes Nasty, but never Brutal. Hard would most likely be about the level I would expect, which would have shorn up some of my expectations vis a vis "an atmosphere of omnipresent danger." I did unlock a new mode by completing the game, that's true, but I'm choosing to take "Impossible Mode" at its word.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

Post #: 57
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 8:55:55 PM   
borstal

Going to trade in Star Wars and return Avatar  to get this tomorrow. Cant wait but Im out tomorrow night so it will have to wait until Saturday to be played.

How could Nath play it during the day????!!!!! Horror games must be played on your own late at night with no lights on. Its the law.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 58
RE: Dead Space - 23/10/2008 11:01:30 PM   
paulyboy

Just played to about half way through the second chapter (some med room where enemies fly through the glass and tear me a new one, fucking hard) and it is indeed the dogs danglies. The sound design is just fantastic, it's like James Horner is in your room doing his damned best to make you feel like your in Cameron's Aliens every time you walk round a corner.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 59
RE: Dead Space - 24/10/2008 8:21:02 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

Just played to about half way through the second chapter (some med room where enemies fly through the glass and tear me a new one, fucking hard) and it is indeed the dogs danglies. The sound design is just fantastic, it's like James Horner is in your room doing his damned best to make you feel like your in Cameron's Aliens every time you walk round a corner.

I'm just into the third chapter and it is indeed the dog's. I know just the scene you're talking about, you're actually right at the end of the second chapter. What mode are you playing the game through on? I don't want to give much away but with that fight I found stasis was my best friend.

Have you bought much from the store? I've only bought a new suit and a few medium kits, and I've upgraded the damage on my gun and that's about it. I do wish though that someone had made it clear about those boxes with the green flashing lights on, I only discovered at the end of the second chapter that if you stomp on them they shatter and contain weapons, it's no wonder I had struggled for ammo at some point! Then again I should have realized that some items were destroyable, when I stomped on a bin looking thing by mistake when trying to stomp on an enemy only for it to blow up! When did gas canisters look like bins!

I'm undecided about the just use the original gun achievement, I would like to try a new gun, but at the same time I'm gettin on fine with just this original gun, not that I've ever had enough money for a new gun since I bought my suit, maybe if I'd not bought the odd medium kit along the way.

Does anyone know also if the gold semiconductors you find come in handy at all? Or should you just sell them?

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dead Space Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI