Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Empire's Guide To Twilight

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Empire's Guide To Twilight Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Empire's Guide To Twilight - 3/10/2008 3:53:51 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 3/10/2008 3:53:51 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

As a shameful fan of the books (even though they're anti feminist, angsty and often sloppily written) I have apprehensions about the film. I don't think it's material capable of a good adaptation, it's most likely going to come across as annoying tweeny angst drama which is a shame because despite it's many flaws, there are some great things about the series. Bella's isolation and teen desires are very well written, the romance is that of pure fluff but enjoyable and the vampire myth has an interesting twist from the norm. Breaking Dawn was nowhere near as good though, it read like a piece of bad Mary-Sue fanfiction. Well done for doing this Empire, the Twilight fans are rabid and merciless when it comes to flaws in such things so good on you for getting it done. Are you hiding behind a bullet proof glass now?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Not Ashamed - 3/10/2008 4:07:52 PM   
Fidget

Ok, so I'm a 23 year old woman with a life. But I love these books. It's perfect escapism and just good fun. I'm really hoping the film doesn't ruin it but they've done pretty well with the casting and the chemistry seems to work in the trailer and released scenes so I'm excited! Bring on December!

Post #: 3
- 3/10/2008 5:10:50 PM   
jade1919

Im a huge fan of the books. Read about the film in empire magazine so bought the first book. Finished all 4 books in 3 days. I think i become one of those dreaded fangirls :). Would also like to encourage Stephanie Meyer to consider finishing the 5th book, don't let some **** who leaked out your daft copy ruin it for the rest of us x

Post #: 4
- 3/10/2008 5:13:25 PM   
fantasy89

I'm not going to read the first book 'cause I'm sure that it would be a disappointing translation to the big screen, so if i see the movie without big expectations and enjoy it I'll just start reading the rest o the serie!! cool plan innit?!?

Post #: 5
RE: - 3/10/2008 6:41:17 PM   
britnic82

i picked up the first book mainly due to empire's recent coverage of the film, i was pretty skeptical to be honest, but now i'm totally hooked - i've read all four books and have just started reading the on-line one! They are great in a teen-angst kind of way (and i'm 26).

(in reply to fantasy89)
Post #: 6
- 3/10/2008 7:08:09 PM   
musebaby

I'm looking forward to the film and especially seeing Rob Pattinson. He's going to be the next Depp.

Post #: 7
RE: Pattinson's the reason I;m seeing this - 3/10/2008 7:43:33 PM   
captainrentboy

britnic, for someone who's 26 you might want to learn a lil forum decorum
You typing in font size 100, that Twilight is one the greatest pieces of literature since ole Shakespeare copped it, isn't going to make me want to read it any more.
The books sound bloody awful, this film looks bloody awful, and Robert Pattison is NOT the next Robert De Niro.
But these Twilight news pieces are always kind of amusing if only to see the sudden influx of Empire Newbies.
Post #: 8
RE: Fabulous and Cannot Wait!! - 4/10/2008 10:00:07 AM   
captainrentboy

cunnister, 37, really?.... Should you be lusting over 18 yr olds? Terrible
Post #: 9
Hooked!!!! - 4/10/2008 4:11:20 PM   
hglazier

I picked up 'Twilight' after the october issue of empire did a review of the book at the back. Was hooked instantly. Then read the coverage of the film in the mag and went out to buy the other 3 books to the series. Read all 3, and re-read the entire saga again in just under a fortnight. Have also finished the draft copy of Midnight Sun on stepehenie meyers blog online - i just hope she decides to finish it and release it officially.
Its gripping reading...much better than harry potter series. Im 21 and am hooked. cant wait to see the film...even if it doesnt beat the books, it still looks good. Im impressed by the casting!

Post #: 10
I LOVE TWILIGHT - 4/10/2008 9:25:12 PM   
bhanudhir

I brought it in America when i was on holiday and got hooked onto the first book it it addictiove and now i am nearing the end on the second book, can't wait for the film to come out, so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 11
Addicted to TWILIGHT - 6/10/2008 10:05:22 AM   
victoria_scorpio

I LOVE THE TWILIGHT SAGA!!

I finished the four books within one month and needless to say, I can't wait for the movie to be out ASAP.

Thanks Empire for creating this 'Guide to Twilight' - it's really very informative. Now I can tell my friends what they have been missing out!!

Post #: 12
- 6/10/2008 10:13:18 AM   
Karl Crutchley

I see the Pattinson PR department is working overtime again. HELEN!!!!!

Post #: 13
RE: - 6/10/2008 1:34:11 PM   
Helen OHara

Again?! It's getting to the point where any newbie so much as THINKING "Little Ashes" will be banned.

PRs, bugger off.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Karl Crutchley)
Post #: 14
This story strikes me as being pretty disturbing... - 6/10/2008 5:46:03 PM   
samurai82

Surely Bella is a necrophile and Edward is a paedophile...?? This film looks like The OC in need of a suntan... A trashy film based on a trashy novel...the things girls are reading these days! I have to deal with my fiancee being obsessed with this too...lol

Post #: 15
RE: This story strikes me as being pretty disturbing... - 7/10/2008 8:29:47 AM   
Felix

What a surprise, the Pattinson PR agency are out in force again. Any more mentions of a film featuring a certain 'artist' will be deleted.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to samurai82)
Post #: 16
RE: This story strikes me as being pretty disturbing... - 7/10/2008 8:56:49 AM   
theram05

Eh, what did I miss?!

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 17
RE: This story strikes me as being pretty disturbing... - 7/10/2008 10:26:10 AM   
Karl Crutchley

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

Eh, what did I miss?!

look up the historical Movie News article regarding a Twilight on set photo and read the thread it generated.
It was sometime towards the end of August this year.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 18
RE: This story strikes me as being pretty disturbing... - 7/10/2008 10:29:44 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

Eh, what did I miss?!

A lot of very sad PR people trying to drum up interest for a film that if it was going to be any good, wouldnt need interest in it being drummed up.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 19
- 9/10/2008 8:35:49 AM   
nbwilks

Notice most of the negative comments are coming from "men"...I use the term loosely. FYI, it doesn't make you less of a man to like Twilight. Don't let it hurt your self-esteem if your girlfriends, wives, or fiances like Edward or any of the other characters for that matter. They're fictional, GET OVER IT. Maybe you ought to try and read the book to understand why so many females like them. The MEN who have read the books understand and have become better men for it. They treat their significant others with more respect and kindness. I know that's something new for many of you, but give it a try, it will more than likely make your relationships stronger.
So, as they say "Don't knock it until you try it".

Post #: 20
RE: - 9/10/2008 11:40:19 AM   
rayhiggins

quote:

ORIGINAL: nbwilks

Maybe you ought to try and read the book to understand why so many females like them. The MEN who have read the books understand and have become better men for it. They treat their significant others with more respect and kindness. I know that's something new for many of you, but give it a try, it will more than likely make your relationships stronger.

Oh, this is comedy gold, and a very broad generalisation of men to boot. Incidentally, if you're saying that you fancy Edward or any of the guys in the books, allow me to be the first to point out that

quote:

They're fictional, GET OVER IT.

(in reply to nbwilks)
Post #: 21
RE: - 9/10/2008 7:14:27 PM   
sanchia

quote:

Notice most of the negative comments are coming from "men"...I use the term loosely. FYI, it doesn't make you less of a man to like Twilight. Don't let it hurt your self-esteem if your girlfriends, wives, or fiances like Edward or any of the other characters for that matter. They're fictional, GET OVER IT. Maybe you ought to try and read the book to understand why so many females like them. The MEN who have read the books understand and have become better men for it. They treat their significant others with more respect and kindness. I know that's something new for many of you, but give it a try, it will more than likely make your relationships stronger.
So, as they say "Don't knock it until you try it".

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to nbwilks)
Post #: 22
What the hell is twilight???? - 10/10/2008 9:07:02 AM   
bin121

I may be being a bit thick or starting to show my age, but can someone tell me what the hell Twilight is!! It looks like the lost boys crossed with an episode of the OC. which is not a good thing!!

Post #: 23
RE: What the hell is twilight???? - 10/10/2008 10:01:20 AM   
rayhiggins

Oh, someone deleted nbwilks just as I was replying. Darn, and I never did get to see that message left for me. bin121, Twilight is the first in a series of teen goth romance novels with vampires good and bad, assorted creatures and a human girl in the middle.

(in reply to bin121)
Post #: 24
Righty Tighty... - 10/10/2008 2:41:29 PM   
christofurr

Am I being especially blond today, or do Empire not know their left and right in the 'Villains' section of this article? I mean, from the characters perspective, James IS on the right, but this article was written for us, and they're, well, not REAL enough to appreciate the thought now are they? Or at all, in fact.

Loving the way how this Laurent guy is menacingly holding a baseball... very scary!

Post #: 25
RE: What the hell is twilight???? - 10/10/2008 3:48:33 PM   
rayhiggins

Sorry nbwilks, but for some reason your new comments aren't showing up on the forum pages. You might want to fiddle with your user settings.
Regardless, happy birthday to you and thanks for the early birthday wishes, even if I disagree with you on the whole 'Twilight-will-enlighten-me' hoohah.

Post #: 26
RE: What the hell is twilight???? - 13/10/2008 9:44:40 AM   
Felix

Thats because I've deleted them.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to rayhiggins)
Post #: 27
RE: What the hell is twilight???? - 13/10/2008 12:00:54 PM   
rayhiggins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Oh, ok then. I didn't do anything wrong, did I?

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 28
RE: What the hell is twilight???? - 13/10/2008 12:30:36 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: rayhiggins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Oh, ok then. I didn't do anything wrong, did I?

No. The posts were nothing to do with Twilight and completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to rayhiggins)
Post #: 29
RE: What the hell is twilight???? - 13/10/2008 2:50:58 PM   
richCie

so we'll become "better men" if we read Twilight, i'm sure theres more foolproof ways to become a better person than reading some books aimed at teenage girls...
hell i could be wrong...

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Empire's Guide To Twilight Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI