Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Fringe

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Fringe Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fringe - 7/10/2008 3:13:53 PM   
Shifty Bench

I think it's a Sky One thread. No spoilers have been given though, hardly even any hints. 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 31
RE: Fringe - 7/10/2008 3:20:16 PM   
discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I think it's a Sky One thread. No spoilers have been given though, hardly even any hints. 

Aye I know, but without clarity in the title I'll be reluctant to return. Been subject to way too many idiotic spoilerific posts on here before.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 32
RE: Fringe - 11/10/2008 7:34:41 PM   
PerfectlyFlawed

I finally got round to watching the pilot episode this afternoon and I found it quite intresting. As has been said before nothing groundbreaking or original in there but I'll stick with it and see what happens.

Post #: 33
RE: Fringe - 12/10/2008 4:05:17 PM   
Mr Terrific

It's ok. Not "groundbreaking" as some have said, but what on tv is now?  Owes much to the X-Files and its ilk.
Entertaining, but finding it difficult to balance the comedy in all the seriousness.
But pleased that another sci fi show is on our screens.
Not too sure about episode number four, may have jumped the shark already.

As said before the father-son relationship makes this tv series, well written and well acted.

< Message edited by Mr Terrific -- 12/10/2008 4:09:39 PM >

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to PerfectlyFlawed)
Post #: 34
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 12/10/2008 4:11:06 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: discodave101

Aye I know, but without clarity in the title I'll be reluctant to return. Been subject to way too many idiotic spoilerific posts on here before.

I've changed it to UK.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 35
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 13/10/2008 2:07:00 PM   
kaner316

spoliers ahead, just in case there's anyone who hasn't seen ep 2

only got around to watching the second ep last night (had it recorded from TV3 from last wednesday, we get it in Ireland a few days before Sky) and am still undecided.

while it's undoubtedly slick and well produced, it looks like it's tying to take the elements of the X-Files stannd alone monster of the week episodes and blend them with the conspiarcy ones. the concept of the second ep, the bio-engineered man who has to cyclically steal pituatary glands to survive was, although ripped from Jeepers Creepers, a potentially great storyline that could have been expanded to a three or four epiosde arc. It seems to me that in the rush to establish the universe, they are introducing too many characters and concepts without exploring them.

the writing has been a little disappointing as well, partciulary when it comes to the story development aspects, too much of it is firmly on the nose exposition (i'm thinking of how the revelation that Dunham had been working on the case previously was delivered). I also firmly agree with the guys above who named the actress who plays Dunham (Anna Torv?) as a weakness, i just can't buy her as an FBI agent.

On the plus side though, it's better put together than most shows on TV, the bafflingly implausible science bits are well delivered, and crucially for this kind of show, it's got a sense of humour. I think if they just show a little more patience with some of the concepts, and doesn't disappear down the route Lost took, by which i mean seeming like they were writing it as they were filming it, it'll develop better.

< Message edited by kaner316 -- 13/10/2008 2:09:25 PM >

Bartlet: What do we do with him?
Sam: Make him the Ambassador to Paraguay.
Bartlet: What do we do with the Ambassador to Paraguay?
Sam: Make him Ambassador to Bulgaria.
Bartlet: I like this. Because, if everybody keeps moving up one, I can go home

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 36
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 14/10/2008 1:26:07 PM   
Citizen Dildo

Well I've only just got round to watchin the pilot and it was far from impressive.  My first thoughts were that JJ Abrams probably had zero input in this but allowed his name to be used to help his buddies promote their new show.

Also did anyone else notice how similar some of the music was to Lost?  Think it was the same composer, Michael Giachinno, he needs to change it up between shows.  The titles indicating where the action was taking place didnt work for me either.  Like a bad version of the Panic Room credits. 

The dialogue was pretty woeful, for example the whole "dont call me sweetheart" stuff.  And I have a nagging fear that they're gonna waste Lance Reddick.

But after all that, I'll probably stick with it..............Josh Jackson, Noble and Reddick are always good value, the female lead didnt annoy me as much as some others and the central premise is fairly intriguing.  So hopefully things get alot better after a pretty poor start.  There's just not that many great tv shows at the moment, so I'll give this 1 a shot.

Why would anyone ever wanna leave Baltimore?

(in reply to kaner316)
Post #: 37
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 14/10/2008 2:08:44 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: discodave101

I've changed it to UK.

My original post said Sky1, so it was intended to be UK speed. Thanks for clarifying it though.

My initial thoughts on the series (watched the first 2 eps) were that it was somewhere between Alias and X-Files. Female agent signing up to something that's beyond her understanding; covert agencies within the government; conspiracies; big companies with something to hide. It's all been done before in some shape or form, and because of that I think it lacks that novelty factor that intially made shows like X-Files and Lost so watchable.

I am finding myself getting into it though and will probably watch the rest of the season. The characters aren't as likeable as some of the shows mentioned (maybe a more ensemble cast may have helped) but I'm warming to them. Josh Jackson still looks like Pacey from Dawson's Creek - but is supplying most of the comic relief. And it's interesting (and kinda weird) to see Denethor from Return of the King in the nutty professor role.   

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 38
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 21/10/2008 4:45:29 PM   
CORLEONE

Dropped it after 3 episodes. Clashed with Burn Notice.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 39
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 28/10/2008 2:38:35 PM   
elab49

I can appreciate the lack of interest but Burn Notice does have a +1 and both are repeated multiple times during the week.

Back to Fringe

Not sure I'll bother anymore myself though. He watches things, observes - we call him the Observer?!? Why - one of the writers realise Watcher was a bit repetitive so future references changed to observe? Major attack of Feds and they know where he'll be going to find the hidden thing but she turns up alone and flashes the torch about just in case he misses her? And lets get to the fun bit - hands up who doesn't think they didn't watch last season Doctor Who BEFORE writing episode 4?

Pace poor, writing bad and the arc just doesn't work at all. Maybe one more chance but that's it.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 28/10/2008 11:17:42 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 40
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 28/10/2008 11:14:10 PM   
Dave B

Sorry elab are you talking about Burn Notice or Fringe?

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 41
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 28/10/2008 11:18:19 PM   
elab49

Edited to make it make more sense

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 42
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 29/10/2008 12:07:12 AM   
Dave B

Ah I see. Kinda agree with what your saying but I do enjoy John Noble's performance and it is watchable. Think I'll stick with it for now, see if it improves.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 43
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 19/11/2008 2:51:34 PM   
discodave101

Anyone still watching this then? I thought Empires review in the latest mag was spot on, basically this show is nothing without the mad professor. He brings it all together and is highly amusing.

I'm enjoying this a lot, even if it is very formulaic episodic entertainment. Still wish there was a better lead. I just don't like the lady FBI agent that much as an actress.

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 44
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 19/11/2008 3:34:36 PM   
UTB

I was a bit disappointed after the pilot and it's slowly gotten worse I think.

It's like a hi-tech X-Files.

Also - Olivia seems to get moodier and moodier every week, which is becoming annoying.

Post #: 45
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 19/11/2008 4:42:11 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Last weeks episode was non-scensical but I like the characters so I'll stick with it (for now...)

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 46
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 20/11/2008 1:42:56 PM   
blackduck

I keep dipping in and out of this. The FBI woman is getting better, but I still don't care about her. Pacy and the professor make the show. I don't know how far ahead TV3 is so I'll try to keep this spoiler free, but in the one where the child musical prodegy the bit where she gets the red castle clue is sooo clumsy. And there are way too many unanswered questions at this early stage. Sure keep us guessing about some stuff, but they can't keep ending every episode with a new question.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 47
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 14/12/2008 8:22:39 PM   
KennyM

anyone got an idea when this returns? Despite it being one of the most ridiculous things on telly, I actually quite enjoy it

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 48
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 15/12/2008 1:09:31 AM   
Dr. Sam Beckett

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

the bit where she gets the red castle clue is sooo clumsy.

Ah, but the bald guy was standing behind her when she found it, that's the important thing. He's in every episode.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 49
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 1/2/2009 2:06:57 PM   
Zaphod121

Anyone know when it comes back?

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Dr. Sam Beckett)
Post #: 50
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 2/2/2009 9:12:12 AM   
discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Anyone know when it comes back?

I'd like to know too Zaph. As it was given Lost's timeslot when it aired, maybe they're planning on holding it back until this season of Lost finishes? Personally, I could handle that. It isn't THAT good a show that I'm that desperate to see the next few episodes.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 51
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 6/2/2009 12:48:09 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

It's been back on Irish TV weeks for 3 weeks or so. Nothing particularly spectacular in my opinion, still somewhat poor/meh. There was one episode where it was 15 minutes before the main titles kicked in which was odd.

Oh and the SPOILER 'rogue division' of the FBI/Homeland Security =

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 27/2/2009 11:25:23 AM >

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

Post #: 52
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 6/2/2009 2:27:56 PM   
discodave101

Err....that's not a spoiler is it Erlenmeyer?!

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 53
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 27/2/2009 11:28:38 AM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

If memory serves, it's what one of the FBI suits called Walter's lab, apologies.

It's taking a break until April now. It was pretty poor as I said above, but the last episode before the break it was a relatively decent/solid, a bit predictable, yes, but all of the elements finally seemed to come together and work as a cohesive whole.

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 27/2/2009 11:29:26 AM >

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

Post #: 54
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 27/3/2009 6:25:51 PM   
elab49

This hasn't gotten any better but it is as good for spot The Wire alumni as Damages - Sunday has Frank Sobotka and Chris Partlow (as well as Daniels).

quote:

Post #: 55
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 27/4/2009 11:46:07 AM   
Timon

I'm enjoying it more than I did. Loved the Chimera-esque monster this weekend and the fact that Charlie was involved more.

Plus I love spotting the 'bald man' every week....

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 56
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 27/4/2009 11:51:51 AM   
elab49

Is there any episode so far where Olivia hasn't said 'but that's impossible, isn't it?' at least once? I smell drinking game.

Really tedious early Cloverfield references last night including some of the duff dialogue from the film, I though.

quote:

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 57
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 27/4/2009 12:39:31 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Walter is comedy gold.

As for the Observer, in terms of viral marketing he's appeared on American Idol, an American football game and at a NASCAR event.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 58
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 27/4/2009 12:43:20 PM   
Timon

Really? That's awesome. He is un-nerving.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 59
RE: Fringe - UK Speed - 27/4/2009 12:52:56 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

American Idol

NASCAR

NFL

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 27/4/2009 12:58:24 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Fringe Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI