Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Fringe - UK Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Fringe - UK Speed Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fringe - UK Speed - 2/10/2008 12:48:42 AM   
fuzzy

J J Abrams new effort 'Fringe' starts on Sky1 this Sunday. Anyone gonna give it a shot? Seen mixed reviews for it, but like other Abrams efforts, it might need a few eps to get into it. Strangely for a J J Abrams show I've seen little or no promotion for the series.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 12/10/2008 4:07:24 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Fringe - 2/10/2008 2:48:02 AM   
Shifty Bench

I watched the 4th episode today and I'm still not sure what to make of the show. 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 2
RE: Fringe - 2/10/2008 9:38:56 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I've only seen one trailer of Fringe and read the synopsis from the new Sky mag. Enough to get me watching the pilot nonetheless (plus is has Pacey from Dawson's Creek!)

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 3
RE: Fringe - 2/10/2008 11:40:45 AM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

Strangely for a J J Abrams show I've seen little or no promotion for the series.

Theres posters EVERYWHERE!

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 4
RE: Fringe - 2/10/2008 12:37:24 PM   
discodave101

I'll agree about the lack of promotion. Before Lost started, C4 was pumping the clever ads for ages. Fringe however, apart from Sky1 adverts (which I hardly ever watch) I've seen nothing. I only know about the show cos I read about it on another forum.

I've read a lot of very mixed reviews, but I'll give it a go. If it ends up being like Alias, they'll just reinvent it halfway through the second season and make it miles better.

What I want to know is, are Uk broadcasters all showing the US shows pretty close to the American airings due to illegal file sharing, or is it due to the writers strike leaving too many gaps in schedules?

< Message edited by discodave101 -- 2/10/2008 2:42:36 PM >

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 5
RE: Fringe - 4/10/2008 9:21:01 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: discodave101

What I want to know is, are Uk broadcasters all showing the US shows pretty close to the American airings due to illegal file sharing, or is it due to the writers strike leaving too many gaps in schedules?

I'd say it's the filesharing - think the strike's effects are mostly done with.

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 6
RE: Fringe - 5/10/2008 4:23:24 PM   
paul_ie86

Yeah I'll probably give it a chance

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 7
RE: Fringe - 5/10/2008 7:43:22 PM   
sanchia

Having seen the first couple of episodes it does come across as being far from groundbreaking. There is a very generic X Files type of central premise with a very minor twist which is barely a twist. Overall having watched it I am left a touch ambivilent about it. I think the best way to sum it up is mediocre at best. It is not bad but far from good.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 8
RE: Fringe - 5/10/2008 11:30:30 PM   
paul_ie86

That was a good enough opening. I'll keep with it for a few weeks anyway

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 9
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 1:29:23 AM   
theoriginalcynic

http://scienceandreligiontoday.blogspot.com/2008/09/fringe-episode-1-skin-melting-mind.html

I found this for anyone who was as confused as I was by the ending.  Still doesn't make sense why John helped the bad twin? Also why would they pardon someone who helped to kill a plane full of people? And why did the twins do it in the first place?

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 6/10/2008 1:50:35 AM >

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 10
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 9:48:21 AM   
Beno

The US audience are hard to please these days and anything that doesnt have the ratings to get near Lost or Heroes - in this genre - gets cancelled . The opening had flashes of good stuff but needs to improve if its to survive past one season .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 11
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 10:09:12 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

http://scienceandreligiontoday.blogspot.com/2008/09/fringe-episode-1-skin-melting-mind.html

I found this for anyone who was as confused as I was by the ending.  Still doesn't make sense why John helped the bad twin? Also why would they pardon someone who helped to kill a plane full of people? And why did the twins do it in the first place?

All this does is summarise the ep - no 'revelation' if you'll pardon the analogy?

I'd assume the point of the ending is it is the story for the entire series so you don't expect it to be handed over too soon - even if they did dump the conspiracy thing in in one go as if it came from an entirely different series.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 12
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 12:42:39 PM   
Peter Dragon

I liked it.

Can't imagine why?
The isolation tank scene was riveting!! I'm easily pleased.

Poo. My picture didn't work

< Message edited by Peter Dragon -- 6/10/2008 3:56:05 PM >

Fuck land! I'm on a boat motherfucker!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 12:50:36 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

All this does is summarise the ep - no 'revelation' if you'll pardon the analogy?

I'd assume the point of the ending is it is the story for the entire series so you don't expect it to be handed over too soon - even if they did dump the conspiracy thing in in one go as if it came from an entirely different series.

I know I wanted something to summarise the episode.  I thought it was self contained and didn't make sense.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 12:56:58 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I think it's good, the best thing about it is John Noble and the chemistry between his and Joshua Jackson's characters, they really make the show. I think Anna Torv is a weak lead and not that strong of an actress although maybe she's still finding her character.

Already its throwing its story strands out there and refusing to tie them up at the end of an episode, a la Lost. Now i love Lost, it's my alltime favourite show, but the refusal to tie anything up is what turned off a lot of early Lost viewers and i don't think it would be in Fringe's best interests to follow this template. The show is aiming to be both a freak of the week and an ongoing storyline type show, but it doesn't need to create quite as many infuriating loose ends as Lost. Obviously only 4 eps in, it is still setting up its 'universe' so perhaps it's a little early to say.

In true JJ Abrams style all cannot be what it seems. They're laying on the whole Massive Dynamic evil conspiracy thing so thickly, that I'm sure its a red herring.

It's well made and slick, but like i say, we'll see where it goes.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 15
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 3:00:37 PM   
discodave101

I found it extremely bland and unoriginal, which is a shame as I'm a big fan of Alias and Lost. I'll stick with it though, as Alias took its time to find its feet. The female lead isn't very interesting either. She's not what I'd consider eye candy and so far lacks any real charisma to allow the viewer to warm to her character. I'm sure they'll develop this over time though.

Anyone know how the viewing figures in the US are doing? Not sure I'll commit to this if its at a great risk of being cancelled. If it gets better and the reviews improve, I'll just catch up on DVD next year.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 16
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 4:07:16 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Anyone know how the viewing figures in the US are doing? Not sure I'll commit to this if its at a great risk of being cancelled.

I wouldn't worry about Fringe, it's holding its own and Fox have given it a full season run- click

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 6/10/2008 4:08:39 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 4:20:18 PM   
discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

Anyone know how the viewing figures in the US are doing? Not sure I'll commit to this if its at a great risk of being cancelled.

I wouldn't worry about Fringe, it's holding its own and Fox have given it a full season run.

Cheers Shifty, although that does leave me a little dismayed, I must admit, but this is no time for me to start taking this thread down the 'Studio 60' and 'Firefly' route 

Post #: 18
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 4:27:45 PM   
Shifty Bench

Even a full season is better than nothing, if they can tie up loose ends (like Studio 60). I have a feeling the show may last a bit longer though. 

Post #: 19
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 5:55:33 PM   
elab49

I think one of its few strengths is the female lead - she brings a gravitas and credibility to the role. Obviously I don't personally care if she is a less than credible barbie doll though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 20
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 6:41:38 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I think one of its few strengths

It had strengths? One of the daftest things I've seen on TV in recent years. Then again I never watched Lost and think Heroes is really poor stuff, so I'm probably not the intended market.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 6/10/2008 6:42:15 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 7:00:23 PM   
elab49

I did watch Lost - and unlike the fans preference of assuming people left because it didn't tie ends up - as opposed to the writing became little short of atrocious and the show really rather dumb - and I quite liked the first series of Heroes, but didn't think it was high class TV. So my preference is still quality whatever the genre.

Daft doesn't necessarily mean bad though - you get good kinds of daft - your pic is one pretty obvious example of that......

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 22
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 7:22:27 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I did watch Lost - and unlike the fans preference of assuming people left because it didn't tie ends up - as opposed to the writing became little short of atrocious and the show really rather dumb - and I quite liked the first series of Heroes, but didn't think it was high class TV. So my preference is still quality whatever the genre.

Daft doesn't necessarily mean bad though - you get good kinds of daft - your pic is one pretty obvious example of that......

This was the bad kind of daft, like if this was my pic

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 23
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 7:23:26 PM   
elab49

I'm borderline agreeing on Fringe - completely agree on Duckboy.

quote:

Post #: 24
RE: Fringe - 6/10/2008 7:29:37 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Actually I should amend what I said. I did actually enjoy the first 4 - 6 eps of Season 1 of Heroes, which seemed really interesting. But then nothing really happened and the plot dragged for ages with a pretty poor climax. I tried the first couple of eps of Season 2 and it didn't work at all.

I might give this another go, but with all the episodes at my fingertips. I find this kind of thing is best spun through really quickly so the plot holes don't grow too big and my interest doesn't wane too far.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: Fringe - 7/10/2008 4:30:07 AM   
Blunderbuss

Apparently Fringe has actually managed to increase its viewing figures in the US since the pilot, which is pretty rare for a TV show. Its also one of the best performing new shows (along with the Mentalist), suggesting that it will get a second season barring some unfortunate turn of events...

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

Post #: 26
RE: Fringe - 7/10/2008 11:22:37 AM   
elab49

But the pilot was a relatively low start, wasn't it? Quite worrying for them, in fact.

I'm enjoying the Mentalist more, thus far.

quote:

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 27
RE: Fringe - 7/10/2008 2:26:55 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I think it's good, the best thing about it is John Noble and the chemistry between his and Joshua Jackson's characters, they really make the show. I think Anna Torv is a weak lead and not that strong of an actress although maybe she's still finding her character.

Already its throwing its story strands out there and refusing to tie them up at the end of an episode, a la Lost. Now i love Lost, it's my alltime favourite show, but the refusal to tie anything up is what turned off a lot of early Lost viewers and i don't think it would be in Fringe's best interests to follow this template. The show is aiming to be both a freak of the week and an ongoing storyline type show, but it doesn't need to create quite as many infuriating loose ends as Lost. Obviously only 4 eps in, it is still setting up its 'universe' so perhaps it's a little early to say.

In true JJ Abrams style all cannot be what it seems. They're laying on the whole Massive Dynamic evil conspiracy thing so thickly, that I'm sure its a red herring.

It's well made and slick, but like i say, we'll see where it goes.

I agree. I think the only thing that's keeping me tuned in for next Sunday's ep is the Bishops' relationship.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 28
RE: Fringe - 7/10/2008 2:43:18 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

But the pilot was a relatively low start, wasn't it? Quite worrying for them, in fact.

Yes, the pilot started quite poorly but it's getting better.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29
RE: Fringe - 7/10/2008 3:10:58 PM   
discodave101

I've just realised, is this a US or UK thread? I notice someone mentions it being 4 episodes in above. May be best for whoever started the thread to edit the title, and if a new Sky One thread needs creating we'll do that.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Fringe - UK Speed Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI