Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Gripping And Thrilling.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Gripping And Thrilling. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gripping And Thrilling. - 8/3/2009 9:34:18 AM   
joanna likes films

I wanted to see Eagle Eye but due to the bad times and going off the cinema within two weeks, I had to wait until the DVD came out which I rented it out on Blu-Ray. It's a non-stop action movie with a gripping plot and a thrilling final moments. It's very well done, I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to see it again but only because I adore the lead star, Shia Labeouf. Retiuing from the excellent Disturbia with the same director, Labeouf is a brilliant actor and works his action clogs here as the main star. Though he kicked butt in Transformers and Indy 4, this film will make him to a action super star. Michelle Monaghan is also good, a struggling single mother who has to be at the side of a man who just lost his brother but could be something to do with this nightmare. Rosario Dawson and Billy Bob Thornton are also on top form, along with Michael "The Thing" Chiklis and Willam Sadler. It can be terrifying at times, it could happen and the thought of it is pretty disturbing. But in all, the best gripping thriller of 2008.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
- 22/3/2009 11:03:22 AM   
mozzaman

better than what i thought it would be, i enjoyed it. yes, shia can be an annoying little brat, but his role in this suited my standards, the action was intense, and the alternative ending is absolute rubbish. just thought i would state that too. could have been better but what i seen was enough :)

Post #: 62
RE: - 25/3/2009 11:22:08 AM   
Vito_Andolini

Ok, first things first.  Eagle Eye is RIDICULOUS!!  And not in a good way either...

From the first few seconds you realise that enjoying this film will require a major suspension of disbelief.  Which is fine for the first 20 minutes or so, as the premise is admittedly interesting and the OTT action scenes blitz your senses enough to paper over the cracks in the plot.  Unfortunately it doesn't take long before those cracks erode into vast canyons, and it's not so much paper that's required as 300,000 tonnes of Polyfila. 

There are three major gripes I have.  Characters change attitudes at the drop of a hat based on some seemingly random and unconnected bits of intelligence.  All of the coincidences in the plot are just far too crazy to take even forgiving the nature of the film.

And the big reveal.  I have NEVER watched a film shit all over it's premise as badly as Eagle Eye does.  Firstly, the drawing back of the curtain to reveal the wizard is so ham-fisted you think D. J. Caruso is just taking the piss and there's more to come later.  Then it slowly dawns on you that unfortunately it really is the device he's using.  Secondly, the idea used in the reveal has been realised in infinitely more effective ways in countless other films.  All of which are better than this.

I quite liked Caruso's other LaBoeuf vehicle, Disturbia.  Although he ripped-off Rear Window it was tense and offered a nicely-handled modern take on Hitchcock's classic.  Obviously Caruso decided that plundering the ideas of other films is a profitable enterprise, but there's a difference between plagiarising one film made 50 years ago and rehashing ideas from several productions, three of which were made within the last decade or so.

Chuck in yet another message of how the War on Terror is resulting in the civil liberties of innocent folk being violated, and Michelle Monaghan utterly wasted as the token 'worried mother' and you have a mess of a film.

Thankfully Shia LaBoeuf's everyman-boy shtick isn't wearing thin yet, and he and Billy Bob Thornton are the only plus points.

"Lunch Lady Doris, do ye have any grease?!"

"Yes, yes we do"

"THEN GREASE ME UP WOMAN!!"

"Okey dokey"

www.movieguys.org

(in reply to mozzaman)
Post #: 63
Just wasnt as good as i guessed...... - 4/4/2009 2:19:58 PM   
Sulai

The hype that surrounded the trailer on its release was similar to the feeling one gets when you get taken on your first trip to Disneyland. The same, however cannot be said for the film. If i had to sum it up in one work it would have to be 'Disappointing'.

The thing i am most amazed is what exactly does Monaghan bring to this production? nothing. The film could easily work without her.

The trailer was all about fast action, camera pans, and a general lack in back storys and current situations where as the film just droans on and on.

Sadly the film lacks in anything and in my personal opinion has only been rated 4 stars because of its cast.... 'Shia LaBeouf'

Overal i would rate it 3 stars.

George Tull

Post #: 64
What's wrong with the film? - 11/5/2009 12:40:27 PM   
sumiebeg

This is the first review I read when EMPIRE gave 4 stars! Otherwise, Wikpedia and The Times of India both gave negative reviews- only two stars. Okay I admit that the ending was not upto the mark, but look at the concept of the story. Wasn't it new, apart from the technogy?

It was my friend Danish who told me the to watch this film, as it a Spielberg-produced movie. All hats off to Spielberg and Danish!!!

Post #: 65
Hi-octane Enemy of the State - 28/6/2009 12:57:02 AM   
Bradlfc

But not as good. Some good scenes and entertaining enough, but it's still difficult to relate to the 'we know what you're doing at every moment of the day and from every angle' plot. Definately watchable but 4 stars is pushing it.

Post #: 66
Rip off - 1/9/2009 7:26:22 PM   
raymondbros

Personally I think this film was a rip off of hundreds of greats. I guess oyu could say it's like the simpsons episode when a film competition comes to Springfield and Monty Burns attampts to win by stealing classic scenes from different movies and putting it into one.
Evidence:
the machine bares an extreme resemblance to HAL off 2001 and like my example they completely rip off the scene when they are planning to shut Hal down and Hal lip reads. In this the machine, Ariia, reads the characters vibrations on a coffee mug.
The scene when Shia is told to jump out of the window and that whole scene in general is a rip off of the Matrix.
and there are many more scenes which were very similar to others but I can't yet place them.
My main problem though was that the villain had no real motive or twist, just that she wanted to kill the president, (why on earth would a computer care?!?)
What I hated the most was the bloody random deaths which the computer caused. Some of them are the most unrealistic stupid scenes I have ever seen.
I think its a higher budget rip off of the film; Echelon Conspiracy which is much better, more real and has a pretty good motive.

Post #: 67
4 Stars, not a chance - 20/10/2009 11:51:11 AM   
jay787

Just got around to watching this, what a huge disappointment. Basically Hollywood by numbers, packed with predictable cliches and a story that although trades on reality is in face far removed from reality. Its like a poor Michael Bay movie, and if thats not an insult I dont know what is!
Also, am I the only one who is starting to get a little tired of Shia LeBoef? Hes fast becoming a one trick pony who plays the same character in every movie.

Post #: 68
4 Stars, not a chance - 20/10/2009 11:51:14 AM   
jay787

Just got around to watching this, what a huge disappointment. Basically Hollywood by numbers, packed with predictable cliches and a story that although trades on reality is in face far removed from reality. Its like a poor Michael Bay movie, and if thats not an insult I dont know what is!
Also, am I the only one who is starting to get a little tired of Shia LeBoef? Hes fast becoming a one trick pony who plays the same character in every movie.

Post #: 69
Good action movie which delivers, but ultimately forget... - 7/4/2010 4:15:17 PM   
djphilips

How many action movies do I have to watch before I get sick and tired of saying the same thing? Movies like Eagle Eye (along with those things they call romantic comedies) are perfect for the one and a half ours they last, but offer nothing in the long run.
Sure, Eagle Eye delivers. And in spades. In fact, Spielberg's presence is surely felt: action scenes are some of the best of the past few years, the pace is perfect and acting is suitably convincing. But the premise is something out of Enemy of the State and I, Robot, and its unoriginality serioulsy harms the film.

Post #: 70
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Gripping And Thrilling. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI