Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Eagle Eye

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Eagle Eye Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Eagle Eye - 21/10/2008 10:33:27 PM   
moviemaniac2

Eagle Eye, "borrows" liberally from. Enemy of the State, The Bourne Identity, The Game, 2001 and a couple of Die Hard's are all, at one point or another, stolen from throughout its ridiculously elongated running time. Director Caruso paces proceedings in such a manner that (he hopes) you won't notice, though; as cars crash, cameras swoop and every sentence is uttered so fast, the entire cast and crew must've chowed down on caffeine pills before every take. Caruso uses breakneck pacing to try and disguise the various holes in his plot. The reason why the frantic editing worked in The Bourne Series was that the plot was not overly complicated, so you could figure out what was going on without missing any of the action. The film is totally unrealistic sentence and the plot never feels like unravelling until the final few scenes, when the whole thing is ended by something so brain-numbingly simple, you'll wonder why they bothered with the complex setup. LeBoeuf and Monaghan are congenial enough leads, but both of them take a backseat to over-directed action sequences, while trying desperately to inject some feeling into their characters. It's not without its moments, but ultimately you've seen all of this before. Moderately enjoyable but instantly forgettable.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
ARE U KIDDIN ME 4 STARS - 21/10/2008 11:53:03 PM   
nooneyuk

If I could give this no stars i would. I walked out after 45 mins of a truly terrible film(only the second film i've ever walked out on, though the first was indy 4 but it was on a foolish second viewing) Just absolutely ridiculous, after the guy is zapped by the power cables that was me. and to find out it was a super computer just caped off a terrible plot to terrible on screen action. Possible the worst film I've ever sat down to watch.

Post #: 32
RE: ARE U KIDDIN ME 4 STARS - 22/10/2008 8:24:34 PM   
Epiphany Demon

I thought it was better than average. A 6/10. Some entertaining action scenes, and good acting from La Beouf and Thornton, but it was astonishingly silly.

The villain reminded me a great deal of Glados, from the game Portal. Which fucking rules, by the way.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to nooneyuk)
Post #: 33
4 stars are you kidding - 22/10/2008 11:48:32 PM   
rossg2742

terrible film. ridiculous plot, lazy writing, boring performances it was just terrible. in the words of the great Jimmy "it didn't make any sense."

Post #: 34
4 stars are you kidding - 22/10/2008 11:48:34 PM   
rossg2742

terrible film. ridiculous plot, lazy writing, boring performances it was just terrible. in the words of the great Jimmy "it didn't make any sense."

Post #: 35
RE: 4 stars are you kidding - 23/10/2008 9:45:20 AM   
filmburner30

Fun if you have not seen North By North West,The Game,The Conversation ,Enemy of the State ,The Fugitive Etc.

Annoying if like me you sat there picking up the film references,but once i overcame my geekness i enjoyed this massively.

Caruso delves into the Tony Scott big book of movie tricks and gives us a silly but ultimately fun movie.

The 2 leads are great and Billy Bob Thornton is good value too.

A perfect 6 pack movie and Caruso is a talent to watch 3.5/5 

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to rossg2742)
Post #: 36
RE: 4 stars are you kidding - 23/10/2008 10:25:05 AM   
Wilbert

Very ordinary and it relied on too many coincidences.

SPOILERS

Apparently you can fall into liquid nitrogen and live!
You can also jam a metal crowbar into a computer and not get electrocuted even though massive sparks of electricity are jumping out.
Ultimately the problem is that a computer that can control anything comes up with such a stupid plan. A bomb in a trumpet? Give me a break!

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 37
RE: 4 stars are you kidding - 23/10/2008 10:34:11 AM   
Beno

Yeah it was silly and far fetched and a bit annoying sometimes but it was still good popcorn fare . The "get out of the car" bit in the tunnel made me cringe most cos you dont see anyone get out and who the hell gives up there car to a stranger . Id have given it 3 stars myself .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 38
RE: 4 stars are you kidding - 23/10/2008 7:56:52 PM   
felix sore foot

V

< Message edited by felix sore foot -- 23/10/2008 8:01:16 PM >

nothing worth knowing can be understood with the mind

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 39
RE: 4 stars are you kidding - 23/10/2008 7:59:45 PM   
felix sore foot

Visually, it's not without merit. However, Shia Le Beouf has but one facial expression & I for one never wish to see it again.
And just what was going on with Billy Bob Thornton's teeth? My, were they glowing!!!

nothing worth knowing can be understood with the mind

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 40
three stars nor four - 24/10/2008 12:22:40 PM   
bretty

Watchable, but to be a four star film you would need to have loved it, and told all your friends to go and see it. Entertaining enough to while away an evening but no way was this a four star film!

Post #: 41
No no no - 24/10/2008 10:46:01 PM   
tysmuse2

Utter nonsense, this is in no way a four star movie! The plot is ridiculous for many many reasons, and I don't even mean the 'twist reveal' that occurs early on, that i didn't mind so much, it was just everything else! To be fair, it's well made and well acted, but this is not 'non-stop action' and even then the action sequences seem to only consist of cars crashing into each other. Boring!

Post #: 42
RE: No no no - 24/10/2008 11:33:57 PM   
Manny

Enjoyable tosh, certainly not **** (read that either way you want)

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A fun ride but doesn't stand up to a minutes inspection, OK I buy it needed them both, he wasn't self motivated she was there to drag him along when he felt like giving up. Even using her as the mule in the white house made sense, she would try toget closer to her son

BUT

It cant just fly a plane into the targets because the brother locked it, but how can it get esplosives to the whitehouse and set up the elaborate plot without breaking the block

for me that takes it down from *** to **  

"Babylon fives a big pile of ..."

The winky faced smily is the mark of a moron ;)

(in reply to tysmuse2)
Post #: 43
RE: Gash - 26/10/2008 6:40:58 PM   
Filmfan 2

An enjoyable enough two hours, though absolutely preposterous throughout. That is all.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 44
Empire should issue a public appology - 27/10/2008 10:03:26 AM   
coolhandphil

This movie was at best a one star movie. Empire has truly embarrassed itself. It will take some time before I read a review by Empire again and not think back to this awful review.

"…cleverly plays on everyday fears we all share: the fear of invasive technology, of terrorist cells…" -> Ian Freer, what the hell where you thinking? Are the studios now funding the magazine?!

Post #: 45
I liked it - 27/10/2008 11:33:16 AM   
beebs_

I thought it was fun. The action was great. Yeah, the bad guy reveal was a bit bollocks, but I went with it. I'll give it four stars.

Post #: 46
- 27/10/2008 12:42:14 PM   
Eomer_King

A breathless, hugely entertaining slice of stylish, escapist nonsense, Eagle Eye is nonetheless a parable - however unsubtle - on the technical age and mankind's obsession with the fruits of its own genius.

Driven by yet another star turn from the now stratospheric Shia LaBoeuf, the film flies along at a terrific pace, veering dangerously close to unravelling in a loony final reel before finding salvation in an utterly brilliant last half hour.

Of course the plot is at times unmanageable and the shadowy conspiracy nowhere near as sinister as the initial hints suggest, yet the central conceit is scarily prescient and equally relevant in the current climate of ideological warfare and impending regime change in America. With the undoubtedly talented Caruso at the wheel - the same man responsible for last year's fantastic suburban serial killer flick Disturbia - Eagle Eye offers a pleasantly refreshing take on the thriller genre and should add another zero to LaBoeuf's next paycheque. Watch this.

Post #: 47
WASTED MY MONEY - 27/10/2008 6:40:19 PM   
ROTGUT

......on this piece of garbage. Can't believe Spielberg had a hand in producing this pile of purile tripe. If the president's name was George Bush, they should have let the blasted computer wipe him out. 4 star film???? In your dreams!!!!!

Post #: 48
RE: Gash - 28/10/2008 1:00:57 AM   
LiritLeBoursier

i thought it was a really good film. i little wacky :p but hey, a little somethin different eh?

my rating:

pretty good, but the plot needed some work, as well as shias mostache. lol :p

"Upset the established order, And everyone loses thier minds!"

Lirit Le Boursier,
Lioness Of Ravens Wings,
The Dark One, Who Rises Above All Else.

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 49
Waste of Time & Money - 28/10/2008 6:11:19 AM   
RobertJohnBush

Four stars for this pile of junk? Sloppy story telling and a dire script make for a really woeful experience. Super-computers that can do anything they want when they want, no matter how far-fetched is just a poor excuse for a villain. As for the whole "consequences of computerised snooping", the whole idea has been exploited so much better in other films. Avoid this nonsense.

Post #: 50
RE: Waste of Time & Money - 28/10/2008 4:39:21 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Anyone else notice that the black fella who watches ARIAL is called Bowman? Neat little 2001 reference to go with the great big 2001 reference! 

For what it's worth I thought it was enjoyable tosh. Sure, we've seen it before, but it was done well.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to RobertJohnBush)
Post #: 51
Eagle Eye - 31/10/2008 9:07:50 AM   
trueborndjross

A pretty good and enjoyable action thriller. Totally far fetched of course but it's pretty much non-stop action throughout which is done very impressively. There's nothing too original in here - we've seen the big brother/terrorism/computers gone mad things before but here they're pretty well done. However, it's no Hitchcock and not a patch on the excellent Disturbia. And I can't help feeling that a more downbeat ending would have been better - but that's American films for you eh!

Post #: 52
RE: Eagle Eye - 1/11/2008 3:29:23 PM   
Paul2j

Decent enough, don't take it too seriously, and it's a fun ride.  I thought it was good that the computer had some justification for rebelling in a sense - given the unwarranted attack at the start.  Both main characters are good, and act as you'd believe them to throughout.

7/10

(in reply to trueborndjross)
Post #: 53
RE: 4 stars are you kidding - 6/11/2008 9:47:20 AM   
homersimpson_esq

SPOILERS BELOW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

Very ordinary and it relied on too many coincidences.

SPOILERS

Apparently you can fall into liquid nitrogen and live!

You can also jam a metal crowbar into a computer and not get electrocuted even though massive sparks of electricity are jumping out.
Ultimately the problem is that a computer that can control anything comes up with such a stupid plan. A bomb in a trumpet? Give me a break!

The liquid nitrogen was in the 6 or so canisters that you see empty after they say they need to drain them. Sure, it could have been clearer but that big lake thing was probably to help keep the computer cool. Bowman was screaming because he nigh on breaks his back as he falls onto the gantry thing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manny

BUT

It cant just fly a plane into the targets because the brother locked it, but how can it get esplosives to the whitehouse and set up the elaborate plot without breaking the block

for me that takes it down from *** to **  

The computer only gets the explosives into the white house after the lock has been taken off - everything up to that point has been preparation. Sure, the intent was there, but the computer was finding loopholes that didn't directly endanger the cabinet until the lock had been removed.

All that being said, yeah it was utterly ridiculous, but fun. And considering there are a lot of ridiculous films that are no fun then this deserves at least 3 stars.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 54
RE: 4 stars are you kidding - 31/12/2008 2:52:10 AM   
C3

This review is exactly why I have since long ceased to think of  Empires reviews with anything but bemusement and distain. It is simply only good for reading movie news and that is all. Their reviews have long since went down the shitter. 4 Stars for a film that most people with an IQ above 85 would consider far fetched at best and total crud at worst. Just because it stars Shia Le Beef, who is Empires current flavour of the month (although God knows why), does not mean it should be one star off a classic. The guy has one expression...at a strech 2...puzzled and or annoyed. He brings new meaning to the word irratation and is a total one trick pony, having played the same character in bvasically every film he has been in so far. James Steward and Carry Grant...come on! And yes Billy Bobs teeth could have lit a small village with their neon glow. Along with giving Wanted 4 stars, and a mirriad of other shitty movies good scores, Empire has long since lost credibility and they know it too. Its basically become the magazine equivalent of  the Sun....which is fine if thats all you want, but they seem to think they're better than that. Oh and nice inclusion of the word Fuck in a major monthly film magazine.....Whats next? Introduction of  kerry katonas column and her fav films of a quiet night in wiv Chips and beer?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 55
RE: ARE U KIDDIN ME 4 STARS - 31/12/2008 1:32:11 PM   
rubadub

quote:

ORIGINAL: nooneyuk

If I could give this no stars i would. I walked out after 45 mins of a truly terrible film(only the second film i've ever walked out on, though the first was indy 4 but it was on a foolish second viewing) Just absolutely ridiculous, after the guy is zapped by the power cables that was me. and to find out it was a super computer just caped off a terrible plot to terrible on screen action. Possible the worst film I've ever sat down to watch.

The worst film you've ever seen? You need to see more films son. Not a classic by any means but an average 3 stars easy.

(in reply to nooneyuk)
Post #: 56
RE: ARE U KIDDIN ME 4 STARS - 5/1/2009 9:22:45 PM   
Silvia_18

I just couldn't get over Shia's very wet lip. It doesn't help that he can't act in my opinion.

This is the only film where I was bothered about going out and getting some nachos which for me is pretty big as I can't for the life of me understand why people go to the toilet during the film.

(in reply to rubadub)
Post #: 57
4 stars? - 28/1/2009 11:50:47 AM   
THE DALTONATOR

from the trailers this film looked like a thrilling, chilling, gripping, action packed and intelligent film. Oh how wrong i was....this film was poor, weak and stupid. steven speilberg must really love shia labeouf and shia must be loving it as well being in transformers, indys son and now this. He is the new star on the hollywood circuit and is the only good thing about this poor poor film.

Post #: 58
- 1/2/2009 12:10:45 PM   
SivlerArcade

Post #: 59
One of the worst action films of 2008 - 5/2/2009 9:11:08 AM   
WiseGuy101

4 stars is pushing it a bit, for a film that sux in every shape, form and dimension. Shia LaBeouf is his same annoying self as he was in Transformers and Crystal Skull but its the films ridiculous plot that had me cringing that Id spent 8 dollars admission for utter crap.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Eagle Eye Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI