Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Jack Reacher Headed To Screen

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Jack Reacher Headed To Screen Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jack Reacher Headed To Screen - 26/9/2008 8:49:48 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 26/9/2008 8:49:48 AM   
patzw

About bloody time!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 26/9/2008 9:13:50 AM   
jasonbourne.cs

couldn't agree more patzw

with an excellent back catalogue of books they could make for an awesome series of movies

Post #: 3
YAWN - 26/9/2008 9:17:58 AM   
Youshouldberunning

Mediocre and hammy writing - Jack Reacher is a caricature. Harry Bosch should hit the big screen before bloody Reacher. I say again, YAWN!
Although...Bourne was a tacky little series on paper and look what happened there.

Post #: 4
FINALLY!!! - 26/9/2008 10:37:22 AM   
Tyler Soze

These are great books. They are fun to read and would be great fun to see on screen.

Post #: 5
minted - 26/9/2008 12:00:26 PM   
Tosh

Patzw, jasonbourne.cs and Tyler Soze are spot on.
loved the books, loads of action great character who ends up being in the wrong place more times than John McClane.

Post #: 6
- 26/9/2008 1:17:26 PM   
ovverbruv

But who to play him?

Physically we are talking about someone the size of Dolph Lundgren, but please god tell me there is a better actor around.

When they released "Kiss the Girls" I was worried about Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross is also supposed to be huge, and, although Freeman bows to no-one in acting skill the films were missing something of Alex Cross by putting a diminuative man in the role.

Post #: 7
The potential is there - 26/9/2008 1:52:05 PM   
muchobenny

There is a wealth of plot material to mine from these books. This could turn into a massive series. Just hope they stick with the same actor for Jack Reacher, rather than complicating things like they did with Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan (Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford and then BEN AFFLECK!!!)

Post #: 8
Unreadable - 26/9/2008 2:18:28 PM   
Boutros

Lee Child's writing is near unreadable.
"Reacher said nothing".
Every 2 lines.
"Reacher said nothing".
Awful.

Post #: 9
Reacher at last - 26/9/2008 2:54:25 PM   
stevie 1

This role was ideal for Clint Eastwood 30 yrs ago
Would like to see Jason Statham or Stone Cold Steve Austen!!!

Post #: 10
RE: Reacher at last - 26/9/2008 3:05:31 PM   
raclements

And of course, there's the samll fact that A History of Violence was actually written by comics legend John Wagner, and adapted by yer man.

But hey! Don't let little things like facts get in the way.

(in reply to stevie 1)
Post #: 11
- 26/9/2008 4:23:04 PM   
clarkkent

i've read a few of these books and always thought it would be great to see them on the big screen. I will agree that from time to time the quality of the writing is a bit odd, but The Da Vinci Code was bloody terribly written and look where that book went.

Post #: 12
- 26/9/2008 4:48:59 PM   
burgans

I always imagined Reacher to be like Lawrence Dallaglio but with a less beat up face. I think he needs to be played by an unknown actor though. Of all the current actors i'd prob go with Statham.

Post #: 13
- 26/9/2008 4:59:07 PM   
ovverbruv

Statham could probably do a decent job, other than that they could give Vince McMahon a call and see if any of the pituitary retards he has working for him are concealing acting talents!!!!!

Post #: 14
Interesting.... - 27/9/2008 4:12:30 AM   
evildave69

Sounds like he could be a dead ringer for Dolph Lundgren!
Let's hope not though eh.

Post #: 15
no way - 27/9/2008 2:10:49 PM   
anakin solo

their is no one on this earth who could play jack reacher and lee child should not allow paramount to ruin his book, like they did with the robert crais book- hostage. The writing in his books is brilliant and i've been hooked on each story that he has wriiten as i've read each book in the series.

Post #: 16
- 28/9/2008 8:39:33 PM   
juleswinfield

as with and earlier post, Clint Eastwood would be the only logical choice ( ideally Heartbreak Ridge Era) Jason Statham is way too small and english!!

Post #: 17
YEs! finally! - 28/9/2008 9:41:01 PM   
tysmuse2

I love these books, they're just f**king ace to put it bluntly; and One Shot, is one of the best in the series. I just pray they pull it off, casting wise, it's going to be pretty tricky. If the guy who played Clark Kent in the latest superman movie was blonde and a little rougher round the edges and older, he'd be perfect!

Post #: 18
Who is Jack Reacher? - 30/9/2008 10:34:17 AM   
Tyler Soze

Any ideas on who could seriously play him? He needs to be 6'5" so it rules out Statham who is 5'10". The only current actor who is tall enough and big enough would be The Rock! I think he could play it with the same sort of character he was in Walking Tall.

Post #: 19
RE: Who is Jack Reacher? - 1/10/2008 3:46:27 PM   
anakin solo

No not the rock just because he's the same kinda character in walking tall, personally i don't think that the rock played the same character at all, just no. No matter how  you spin it no one can play reacher.

< Message edited by anakin solo -- 1/10/2008 3:47:56 PM >

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to Tyler Soze)
Post #: 20
FInally, casting will be difficult.... - 6/10/2008 5:08:16 PM   
oz_p

I'm a huge fan of the books, but there are much better books earlier in the series that would make great films, i thought the same about Clive Cusslers Dirk Pitt adventures, but they have been done terribly to date. Would have been excellent with the right cast and adaption!!!

If the casting is right, they stay faithfull to the story and atmosphere of the books I think this will be a great film and hopefully spawn sequels or prequels too!!

An unknown or non type-cast actor would be perfect, for some reason im thinking Jon Favreau.. Vince Vaughn has the build but not the face or the gruffness required...

Post #: 21
RE: FInally, casting will be difficult.... - 10/10/2008 1:38:32 PM   
anakin solo

I've got to agree, Vince Vaughn is too comedic to play reacher and has not the physical size for the character and if they find the right person to play reacher they should start with the enemy not one shot because i hate prequels.

< Message edited by anakin solo -- 10/10/2008 1:39:50 PM >

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to oz_p)
Post #: 22
- 4/1/2009 11:39:49 PM   
Chelseafan

Yep.. this is a tough one... I'd have to say Kyle Chandler (bombsquad guy from Greys Anatomy - coach Taylor Friday Night Lights). He is the right size, and with a bit of ruggedification (!!) would be perfect... (well unless Jason Statham can grow 5")

Post #: 23
RE: - 13/1/2009 4:18:25 PM   
Jonnyp41

I always imagine Dominic Purcell from Prison Break when I'm reading them. But I quite like Aaron Eckhart too. Both are too short in real life, but they could employ some LOTR style trickery.

(in reply to Chelseafan)
Post #: 24
- 11/2/2009 1:40:35 PM   
screaming_69

i think Richard Burgi is perfect for the role, for those that don't know who he is...he's plays the ex husband (karl mayer) of Terri Hatcher on desperate housewives

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/Image/desperate-housewives-characters/Richard-Burgi-as-Karl-Mayer.jpg

he is tall and and absolute tank! i think he's got the charm of what i would expect Reacher to have too!

Post #: 25
reacher - 8/6/2009 2:19:06 AM   
stefmurray

read every book.can't see any actor who could play him.but there is a rugby player from englands world cup winning team called lawrence d'allaglio who is 6'5'' built perfectly and 38 yrs old.wish he could act.

Post #: 26
- 13/6/2009 5:17:55 PM   
stewballs

what about your man there dougary scott, he kinda looks mean sometimes, i think he might be good. or what about hugh jackman, he's 6'3 they just make him look small in x-men, im sure they could make him look 6'5 easily

Post #: 27
There can be only one - 5/9/2009 9:27:39 AM   
Strider_surely

As a massive fan of the entire series I think one shot would be the logical choice to introduce movie fans to the theme that Lee Child has created, as it's a short story that will translate well to the screen. For me I feel the author had Clint Eastwood in mind when he wrote this character as the no nonesense attitude of a man that retaliates only when provoked while always doing the morally right thing in the end reflects Dirty Harry, of that I have no doubt.
Given that time has moved on I suspect an alternate choice would be Strider from LOTR, Viggo Mortensen who has form for playing mean army characters in GI Jane. Obviously the shaven head would fit but he would have to bulk up a bit, especially if he ever had to face Pauley (true fans will know who I mean).
I look forward to this becoming a series of movies but do worry about the hollywood trend to dumb down stories so certain audiences enjoy the ride. But then again the Jack Ryan character from Tom Clancy should have produced many more epic movies that sadly were never produced.......perhaps we need to give him a pair of glasses and a magic wand..................

Post #: 28
Jack Reacher Headed to Screen - 26/9/2009 3:57:32 AM   
scrapqueen

I'm a Jack Reacher "totally committed" fan. I've read every book and each time I think it's better then the last. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why a movie or at least a TV series has not been created on the Reacher character. Reacher is a unique character that would be interesting to both men and certainly women. I think a totally new actor should play Reacher and it would have to be someone with military experience so it would be authentic. I would love to see someone take the abundance of story material and put it up on screen (or TV) so get it done!

Post #: 29
Jack Reacher = Hugh Jackman - 19/3/2010 12:27:40 PM   
Mort Grimm

Hugh Jackman is perfect to play reacher. Almost. Statham is wrong, Bruce Willis is wrong; both have the wrong look and are not tall enough. Eastwood would have been perfect as a younger man. It is hard to get it dead on right when casting a book character- ask whoever cast Matthew McConaughey as Dirk Pitt- I think Jackman would do the character justice. To anyone who dislikes the Mr Childs writing; well, writing style is like directorial style- some love Spielberg, some hate him, and it is the same with novels. Of course we all agree that mostly George Lucas can't direct or write but that's another debate.

( i read lately that he is planning a star wars cartoon for '2-6' year olds; WHAT IS HE DOING TO STAR WARS! has any father abused his own children more?!?!?)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Jack Reacher Headed To Screen Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI