Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Let's be clear

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Let's be clear Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Let's be clear - 27/9/2010 1:01:23 AM   
bubbadubba

This is a forst. Have never bothered to return to forum and write another review. Can't believe the number of dum-fucks who find any merit in this. Go away. Get older. Watch it again. And then, maybe, you'll understand. This is racist cinema designed to exploit a paranoid age. And you fell for it. Oh, just all fuck off. Don't waste your life.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 241
Take with a Punch of Salt - 28/9/2010 8:43:14 PM   
bnicholson50

Taken is one of those action movies that is so stupid it borders on spoof and thats what makes it enjoyable. The plot plays out like a bad episode of Walker Texas Ranger but, lets be honest, who didnt enjoy a bit of chuck norris? Neeson plays the avenging father wonderfully OTT and brings back the lost art of the "Action Hero Karate Chop". Revel in the ridiculousness of it all and you'll enjoy it.

Post #: 242
- 17/11/2010 3:21:33 AM   
sweetladybrick

"I will hunt you, I will find you, and I will kill you": frankly, that line is up there with "They just fucked with the wrong Mexican", and it sets the tone for a balls-to-the-wall action movie. Liam Neeson is driven, dark and kicking all kinds of ass across France in yet another Besson-produced b-movie. It won't make you think, but it will- if you just want an easy, action-packed thrillride of a pot boiler- entertain you for 90 minutes or so.

This is b-movie action at its near-best. Sorry, but it is. As for xenophobia, it's been pointed out that the film is produced by Luc Besson and directed by Pierre Morrell, and in all fairness I don't really think that the nationality of the villains or the heroes of the piece have anything to do with what makes them good/bad people. It's a very linear story: over-protective father's worst fears materialise when daughter is kidnapped in foreign land. That's not xenophobic, it's just a very, very simple storyline that some feel the need to analyse and justify an elitist hatred for. So you like 'La Haine' do you? Well done, you! Aren't you a cultured little fella?! Yes you are! Remember to venemously attack anything that doesn't have any astringent social commentary that you can pretend to understand and sound cool amongst friends (or forum users) from now on. This film isn't trying to be smart, it's an action movie in the vein of Rambo, The Transporter etc- it's an eighties throwback. It's not 'Leon', I think Besson is probably aware of that, but just because it's not oscar gold doesn't mean it's deserving of the onslaught that's been strewn across it. The 'official' review of this film is diabolical and the response that seems to lap up the 'x' word is sychophantic and clearly uninspired. But life must be easy for people who get their likes, dislikes, opinions and general cultural experience from the internet.

That some people seem to be insulted by a film that allegedly "exploits a paranoid ag

Post #: 243
RE: Taken - 4/12/2010 6:55:25 PM   
Jeevan Singh

I loved Liam Neeson in this film! Playing a dad on a mission to find his daughter, whilst keeping me on the edge of my seat with violent outburst and not knowing what he was going to do next. This is a full out action packed movie which doesn't hold back on the reality of the story behind it all. If you have not seen this at the cinemas I recommend you get it out on DVD/Blu-ray for a entertaining evening.

Post #: 244
one star?! no way - 27/12/2010 10:12:49 PM   
Woodat34

This film is well made, fast paced and although cheesy in places, it is brutal, gritty and the type of action film Hollywood seems to often aim for but regularly fall shorts of. Liam Neeson is superb, the fight sequences are excellent.... Its portrayal of the cosy American life in comparison to Europe may be exaggerated but well done.

Post #: 245
weak sauce - 30/1/2011 12:32:15 AM   
ohdaesu

Tonight I watched this and hot tub time machine. The latter was the better film by miles. 'nuff said

Post #: 246
TAKEN - 30/1/2011 7:35:07 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Giving this film '1 Star' simply makes no sense whatsoever. It serves it's purpose as an effective, fast-paced action thriller which is more than can be said for the likes of yer average 'Summer Blockbuster' fare these days (does anyone even remember or care about PRINCE OF PERSIA or THE LOSERS?). Mr. Neeson kicks some serious butt here.

Post #: 247
Taken - 5/3/2011 10:57:09 PM   
MaxSP

What an utter waste of everything. Bad bad bad film.

Post #: 248
One star????? Are you serious???? - 7/3/2011 9:27:44 AM   
gavlaa32

I love this movie. Taken was one of those films that spread like wildfire around the office and the circle of friends I have. When I finally got round to watching it I was blown away by Liam Neeson. I honestly just think that after Batman Begins, Mr Neeson has carved out a whole new branch of his career, and hats off to him!!!! With a younger star this may have been just another forgettable action flick but with someone of such a high calibre actor as Liam Neeson it makes this film deep on a whole new level!!!! In my opinion anyway, but hey isnt that the beauty of movies that we can all disagree!!! lol. Loved this film!!! Liam Neeson rules!!

Post #: 249
RE: Taken - 7/3/2011 7:29:22 PM   
JagLover

Yet another 'political' review by Empire, they need to realise they are a movie magazine not a political lobbying group.

I saw Taken last night and it was a solid action movie, with a very strong central perfomance by Neelson.

Some plot holes, like him pretenting to be a french policeman, while speaking English with an Irish accent, stop this being a classic. But certainly it is at least a 3 star movie.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 250
RE: Taken - 14/3/2011 1:25:20 AM   
Aye

quote:

Can't believe the number of dum-fucks who find any merit in this. Go away. Get older. Watch it again. And then, maybe, you'll understand. This is racist cinema designed to exploit a paranoid age. And you fell for it. Oh, just all fuck off. Don't waste your life.

Since some people don't share your moral objection to what you interpret as xenophobia in a film, you give said spectators a right good telling off.
...Well sorry, but I still enjoyed "Taken."

< Message edited by Aye -- 14/3/2011 1:32:01 AM >

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 251
One star is too many - 14/3/2011 2:08:48 AM   
26may1989

Hilarious to see anyone standing up for this film. For some reason, I enjoy watching kack films some time, and this was no disappointment. A truly appalling number, on every level.

Forget about the xenophobia for a moment, and the crappy acting, and the lame script, and the ridiculous plot, and the ludicoursly paranoid view of the world. Just tell me this: do you believe an ex-soldier speaks such impeccable French that he can impersonate a French security chief?

And I thought Liam Neeson was a decent actor.

Post #: 252
One star is too many - 14/3/2011 2:08:54 AM   
26may1989

Hilarious to see anyone standing up for this film. For some reason, I enjoy watching kack films some time, and this was no disappointment. A truly appalling number, on every level.

Forget about the xenophobia for a moment, and the crappy acting, and the lame script, and the ridiculous plot, and the ludicoursly paranoid view of the world. Just tell me this: do you believe an ex-soldier speaks such impeccable French that he can impersonate a French security chief?

And I thought Liam Neeson was a decent actor.

Post #: 253
- 16/3/2011 7:56:32 PM   
bubbagump9

entertaining at its best, not worth the embarrasement of a 1 star review

Post #: 254
RE: - 22/3/2011 12:21:30 AM   
FilmyTime

I have a club. I'm the only one in it. It's a club that believes Liam Neeson has never been impressive in a film, apart from Shchindler's List, where his blandness passed for profundity.
I might get the rug pulled out from under me by someone, but I won't accept Batman Begins, which he nearly sucks the life out of, for me. Does anyone want to join my club? I'll make some badges.

read my thoughts at http://www.please-like-me.blogspot.com

(in reply to bubbagump9)
Post #: 255
RE: RE: - 24/3/2011 11:51:24 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: FilmyTime

I have a club. I'm the only one in it. It's a club that believes Liam Neeson has never been impressive in a film, apart from Shchindler's List, where his blandness passed for profundity.
I might get the rug pulled out from under me by someone, but I won't accept Batman Begins, which he nearly sucks the life out of, for me. Does anyone want to join my club? I'll make some badges.

He's awesome in Krull...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to FilmyTime)
Post #: 256
RE: Taken.....For a ride by the reviewer! - 27/3/2011 3:16:21 PM   
wilky007

I think the good thing about this film is that it doesn't take itself too seriously. Liam Neeson is good as the protagonist and lets be fair is the best actor in the whole film.
However, the film did seem disjointed at parts and the viewer is left wondering why certain things are happening. Not a bad film! :D

Generally a geeky individual :P
If a mute swears does its mother wash it's hands with soap?

Follow me - twitter.com/wwiillkkyy
( I follow back)
Post #: 257
ACTION PACKED SUPERB ENTERTAINMENT - 4/4/2011 5:26:37 PM   
lewisb548

Taken is brilliant it starts off slow introducing the characters ETC. but the way it does this in a non boring fashion, makes you wish it was slower! but the film is ridiculous of course, but still Taken is brilliant, Neeson pulls off a good performance as does Maggie Grace as his daughter who Neeson's character loves with a sort of obsession type way, but still Taken is awesome plain and simple.
Pierre Morel does a good job with the insanely cliche prone, nonsense of a script but in the end Taken is entertainment at it's best, and the film is brill, even at the end off the film you still want more.

Post #: 258
RE: empire wrong again - 25/4/2011 6:20:17 PM   
TheGreenPlanet

quote:

ORIGINAL: brendygib

very enjoyable film, sort it out empire, its a great action flick, go and see it. one star for taken and 3 for that piece of sh*t movie death race......come on!

this movie did not deserve such a harsh review

(in reply to brendygib)
Post #: 259
RE: Taken - 30/4/2011 3:07:31 AM   
drystyx

TAKEN is one of worst movies ever made, no matter how you slice it. Any review that pans it is honest, and I can't see any rationale for liking it. A self righteous creep wants a dishonorable guy to talk, so he shoots the guy's wife. Not only is this sick, weak, punky, and stupid, but it is also ignorant. If you think a guy is a creep and won't talk without force or threats, shooting someone else will only empower him. This is psychological fact that anyone with any training would know.

TAKEN is pathetic garbage for hate mongering people who apparently think they can just take revenge on anyone they want, even if the person did absolutely nothing to them. There is no possible reason to like the character or the movie.

Post #: 260
RE: Taken - 2/5/2011 6:43:00 PM   
hampstead bandit

quote:

ORIGINAL: drystyx

TAKEN is one of worst movies ever made, no matter how you slice it. Any review that pans it is honest, and I can't see any rationale for liking it. A self righteous creep wants a dishonorable guy to talk, so he shoots the guy's wife. Not only is this sick, weak, punky, and stupid, but it is also ignorant. If you think a guy is a creep and won't talk without force or threats, shooting someone else will only empower him. This is psychological fact that anyone with any training would know.

TAKEN is pathetic garbage for hate mongering people who apparently think they can just take revenge on anyone they want, even if the person did absolutely nothing to them. There is no possible reason to like the character or the movie.

wow - who pissed in your cornflakes?

its an action film, not a social commentary on the state of the World

as an action film, there is nothing wrong with it, and alot to actually enjoy (in terms of the action..)

(in reply to drystyx)
Post #: 261
- 7/6/2011 9:03:55 PM   
harvestmoon

WTF?? Its really good,tense and has you off the edge of your seat!!!

Post #: 262
Disagree - 25/6/2011 2:19:43 PM   
Charlotteknowsfilms

I usually agree with all of the reviews that Empire makes but I entirely disagree. I watched it for the first time last night and I thought it was amazing. Liam Neeson was great in this film. I think you may have woken up on the wrong side of the bed the day that you wrote this review, Empire.

Post #: 263
RE: Disagree - 24/8/2011 10:25:39 AM   
Jodan_King

watched this last night on film 4 for the first time. Completely agree with the review here, unenjoyable waste of Liam's talents.

"I'm storming your castle on my steed m'lady!"

(in reply to Charlotteknowsfilms)
Post #: 264
Certainly Vicious, But Definitely Not As Bad As All That - 25/8/2011 4:52:24 AM   
blaud

Simplistic and everything-but-America-baiting as it may be, Taken is an at least passable actioner that is fast-paced, exciting, and, for the most part, pretty entertaining. No one's denying the fact it's only what people who loved Crank 2 would describe as 'intelligent', it's still a racy and at somewhat enjoyable movie that is short, snappy, and never seems to outstay it's welcome.

Post #: 265
RE: Awfull.......review - 25/8/2011 7:37:29 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

American Dad, trained in kicking ass, shunned by wifey for being a man who kicks ass, proves his ass kicking ways are best by being proved right to fear for his daughter and running to the rescue, kicking ass all the way, daddy was right all along, everyone should have listened to him because he kicks ass, and best of all, never has to face any consequences to his actions

Famke Jensen plays his ex-wife rather than "wifey" and she divorced Bryan Mills (cracking name, completely innocuous) because he was away so much during his tenure in the C.I.A. While he seemingly wasn't reprimanded by the French authorities after his tour de force trip around Paris. He received no aid from the internal security service because they were either corrupt or couldn't be bothered to help therefore he had no choice. Furthermore, it does show consequences for the antagonists. I think the film plays with the idea of natural justice

quote:

it's okay to kick and kill ass, if you need to prove you are, in fact, a manly man.

I think the film touched a raw nerve here.

quote:

There's nothing wrong with a film of this type in principle, but it got a bad review because it is lunkheaded in execution and as hamfisted as a prizefighting pig, and totally flattered by the presence of an actor who should have said at the outset: good first draft, when do I get to see the version we shoot that will meatify the ass kicking with basic action movie structure of increasing danger for the lead until the odds are apparently insurmountable? Because as it stands it looks like my characters' special forces training is being used as the sole justification for him just kicking the shit out of everyone with no variety of tone or sense he is ever being truly opposed in his goal."

There was no need to "meatify" the proceedings in the film. This film was meant to tap into a very primal instinct that ought to be in every man who has a family for whom they care. I like the fact we're not given much about Bryan Mills, I like how he doesn't reveal much about his past in the C.I.A. to his daughter. Who knows what he did and wintessed? Furthermore, he seeks to protect her and whilst he may seem overbearing, he turns out to be right. He's been around the world, he's seen things most people in the west would find abhorrent and through this experience, he knows the world and all its dangers. To me, the "meat" or more accurately the substance within the film which engaged me was the emotional rage displayed by Bryan Mills. The indomitable will to protect your loved ones at whatever cost. If someone ever did that to my partner or child then I'd damn sure find the prig and slot him (slowly).

In a sense, I see the film as a reaction to all the brutality we see in the world. Particularly, the savagery inflicted upon women or children about which we only hear in the news or read in a newspaper. Cases such as that of Josef Fritzl in Austria for instance. The fact that Bryan Mills in the film isn't physically challenged (except the final fight) is inconsequential to me. I also think you're missing the point of the film if you're concerned with how hard his enemies were, as if we're in some computer game and at each stage, the enemies should become progressively harder. We're dealing with a very primal response here. We seem Bryan Mills kill so many of them because in effect, it's gives the middle finger to all the scum who perpetrate this sort of thing. I think it's catharsis not only for Bryan Mills but for the audience too.

quote:

That's why Bourne is better than this: Neeson was up against people who had no chance against him whereas in a decent fist fest the hero has to be in absolute danger of getting killed if he doesn't kick ass. Knocking everyone over like skittles aint enough. Not for me.

No Jason Bourne is simply different. There's more character development to Jason Bourne but the story necessitates it. Here, we have a man beyond incensed and desperately seeking to find his daughter. He receives no help in Paris and is forced to take matters into his own hands (yes a pun). The intensity, brutality and visceral display of violence for me is more than enough. Because the power and angst of the story is told through his dispatching of foes in very creative ways. I think this films speak to the male who is reviled by seeing scenes of rape on film and one who values women in their lives where they'd do anything to defend them. 

quote:

Cheesy start, and daddy's not only great cos he kicks ass, he also gets to make his daughters dreams come true re singing, so cheesy end. Even a cheese sandwich needs to be between bread, wherea this film is almost invisibly thin bread between humungous chunks of cheese.

The scenes at the beginning and end of the film may seem clichéd or saccharine but that's the point. They were suppose to show the innocence of the girl. Perhaps also show how Bryan Mills had successfully shielded his daughter from the horrors of the world. While the daughter seems to look fine by the end of the film, due to the experience she had we know deep down she has forever changed. The caveat and perhaps irony is that Bryan Mills fought desperately to save her life so he wouldn't lose her. Now, the revelation that he used to operate within the world of violence coupled with the trauma she's bound to have received. Means at a later stage he may well 'lose her'.

As someone, who without money, without training, without back up and without being given an ounce of respect, once basically fronted up to a very large company and said via my actions I'm not taking this bullshit just because you think you can treat me like nothing doesn't mean I have to take it, metaphorically I'm Bond, dude. Taking out the lower level minions despatched to fend me off, rising up the levels of the organisation by not bending to the attitude I should respect more senior people in the organisation (pointing out I wasn't part of the hierarchy so their seniority meant nothing to me) and eventually causing the solicitor who had been screwing with me to resign within 24 hrs of finally meeting me in the flesh, to escape what he saw in my eyes and felt in my handshake: you fucked with the wrong dude, and I WILL keep drawing attention to the legal, but dishonest things you have done to stop me.

Potential contempt of court and therefore potential imprisonment precludes me elaborating on the kind of shenanigans legally indulged in by the people concerned, save to say a judge allowed me to list them, in great detail, for two hours, in front of legal representatives who were continually asked by the judge 'how do you respond to what he is saying' and the legal reps took their only option: legally free in the particular civil court proceedings to not respond in any way, because they could not talk their way out of the matter after spending almost two years trying to evade my pursuit of the matter in question so brazenly that when my complete record of these attempts was laid out in front of them they looked and felt like the kind of twats they assume the 'little people' to be.

So I'm pretty secure in my 'manliness'. And I am very well personally acquainted with a primal response to events driving actions. Additionally, in the matter referred to above, I became more 'bulletproof' as it went on, after the experience expose the charade/facade of my 'opponents' and revealed that compared to me, they had nothing manly about them, only the confidence provided by their job descriptions that faded rapidly in the face of someone who didn't get intimidated by such things. Just by persevering, I became more of a 'threat' to them than if they had just treated fairly in the first place. And I fought them mainly with words, my own versus theirs, mine remaining consistent, theirs offering a new excuse every time their words were challenged until they had contradicted themselves so many times they basically begged me to stop and gave ground in the way I wanted.

"Famke Jensen plays his ex-wife rather than "wifey"" I know she's his ex wife, and the film presents her as his ex wife BECAUSE he is what he is. Ie, wifey shunned him.

"I also think you're missing the point of the film if you're concerned with how hard his enemies were, as if we're in some computer game and at each stage, the enemies should become progressively harder"

Just referring to basic narrative structure via which the obstacles faced by the hero increase in their magnitude over the course of a story until they threaten to totally overwhelm the hero until he finds a way to finish the job. These obstacles don't have to be all in the form of whoever he has to beat up to get the info to lead him to the next stage. Anyway, if Taken resembles anything, it DOES resemble a game, with the perfunctory storyline existing to justify the arse kicking, and not portrayal of character.

And fair enough, you like the film, so you can find a way way to rationalise that just as I can find a way to rationalise my response to it. And my response to it is that it total bullshit massively over flattered by the presence of a Star (TM) playing what is barely a Statham level character. If the film is fun to someone (eg a mate of mine who loves it cos it's 'Liam Neeson Beats Up Paris') fair enough. But due to my own personality and life experience and, indeed experience of cat and mouse psychology (having it applied to me, and then via the experience toughening up to do it to them better than they did it to me) in a real world matter, I want more from the potential of a story like that in Taken than others, I guess. Then again, Neeson did the whole 'If you make yourself more than just a man in the mind of your opponent, if they can't stop you' stuff in Batman Begins, and so I can get what rings true for me elsewhere, anyway.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 25/8/2011 8:42:32 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.
Post #: 266
RE: Awfull.......review - 26/8/2011 3:33:56 PM   
REALLYMAD

I remember the outstandingly vitriolic 1 star rating Empire gave this and to my shame I allowed that to dictate my decision to not see it on release. I then proceeded to tell friends that it's "supposed to be shit" because while I don't always agree with Empire reviews there have been very few instances thoughout my 19 years of purchasing the magazine where they have been so glaringly wide of the mark.

Taken is a decent actioner and I enjoyed it. I would watch it again. It won't win any awards for screenplay or originality or performances; it didn't want to change the world; there was no underlying pathos or subliminal path leading to an elucidated "message" for humanity, nor did it ever pretend there was but the 1 star rating is an insult akin to a smack in the face by every 2 star piece-of-shit movie Empire rated above it.

Perhaps I empathised with Neeson's character more than some since I am the father of similarly aged daughters and I can tell you without reserve that there is absolutely nothing I wouldn't do to keep them safe. It may have been stylised to some degree in this film but human trafficking IS going on and it it DOES exist. Okay, so he should probably have died at least a couple of times and we had to suspend belief about just how hard a bastard Neeson actually was but someone was messing with his daughter. I felt his rage. The shitty review was most definitely not impartial; it was just petty and bloody-minded to the point of being funny

Funnier still are the sycophantic mouth-frothing reviewers who slated it purely because Empire did, of which there would be far fewer if this was given the 3 stars it deserved.

"Hahahaha, you've ticked all the points on the "wounded bunny" checklist tonight!"

#1 wankiest attempted put-down in messageboard history.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 267
RE: Awfull.......review - 27/8/2011 1:24:41 AM   
thetruth

What????
This is an excellent film,much better than anything Statham has done.
Stands well against Bourne too.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 268
RE: Awfull.......review - 5/9/2011 1:12:35 PM   
BelovedAunt

Never known a film to provoke such different opinions. I have friends who love this and put it in their top tens. For me it was utterly dreadful - one ridiculous coincidence after another all the way through. A better take on the theme is Trade which is far more low-key.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 269
RE: Awfull.......review - 5/9/2011 1:37:03 PM   
thetruth

Low key???
You are missing the point completely.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to BelovedAunt)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Let's be clear Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI