Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 5/1/2010 11:37:58 AM   
genejoke

I really don't get why people think taken is shit, while not a masterpeice I thought it a solid action flick and Neeson was perfectly up to the job.  obe star movies are things like master of disguise or battlefield earth, this is nowhere near as bad as those films.  a solid 3 stars.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 211
Awfull.......review - 5/1/2010 6:13:28 PM   
the_1dude

What an awfull review, i wonder if the guy spent the time to watch the film or did he just watch the trailer. While it is'nt a masterpiece it's still worth a watch having seen it a couple of time's i can't pick any faults with it, Neeson is brilliant he run's, he fight's, he does everything you would expect him to do to get his daughter back.. The reviewer clearly is'nt a fan of the U.S and A but that is by no means a reason to judge a film. Its brilliant pick it up for a couple of quid and you wont be dissapointed.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 212
RE: Awfull.......review - 6/1/2010 1:10:41 PM   
jobloffski

American Dad, trained in kicking ass, shunned by wifey for being a man who kicks ass, proves his ass kicking ways are best by being proved right to fear for his daughter and running to the rescue, kicking ass all the way, daddy was right all along, everyone should have listened to him because he kicks ass, and best of all, never has to face any consequences to his actions, because it's okay to kick and kill ass, if you need to prove you are, in fact, a manly man.

There's nothing wrong with a film of this type in principle, but it got a bad review because it is lunkheaded in execution and as hamfisted as a prizefighting pig, and totally flattered by the presence of an actor who should have said at the outset: good first draft, when do I get to see the version we shoot that will meatify the ass kicking with basic action movie structure of increasing danger for the lead until the odds are apparently insurmountable? Because as it stands it looks like my characters special forces training is being used as the sole justification for him just kicking the shit out of everyone with no variety of tone or sense he is ever being truly opposed in his goal."

That's why Bourne is better than this: Neeson was up against people who had no chance against him whereas in a decent fist fest the hero has to be in absolute danger of getting killed if he doesn't kick ass. Knocking everyone over like skittles aint enough. Not for me.

Cheesy start, and daddy's not only great cos he kicks ass, he also gets to make his daughters dreams come true re singing, so cheesy end. Even a cheese sandwich needs to be between bread, wherea this film is almost invisibly thin bread between humungous chunks of cheese.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to the_1dude)
Post #: 213
RE: Way Off - 7/1/2010 11:40:34 AM   
ruchiicoool

This is the kind of film the gives cinema violence it's bad reputation, the kind the Mail loves to write (moan) about

Empireonline.com Estimated Worth $121 Thousand USD | best hosting

(in reply to DavidPMcGinty)
Post #: 214
RE: Awfull.......review - 7/1/2010 1:37:34 PM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski
Even a cheese sandwich needs to be between bread

Baguette in this case...

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 215
RE: Awfull.......review - 7/1/2010 9:08:37 PM   
jobloffski

Oui, Monsieur. Avec beaucoup du fromage.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 216
RE: Way Off - 10/1/2010 7:16:38 PM   
robwillphill

It's alright. Doesn't deserve the one star review from Empire - this isn't as bad as Disaster Movie! It's just a shame that the material isn't as good as Liam Neeson's acting and the dark theme it is based on.

5/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

Post #: 217
An Excellent Detour! - 14/1/2010 8:59:59 AM   
batbhai

This will definitely wake you up! Okay, there are mistakes but look at the direction- only one star? The best thriler of 2009!

Post #: 218
An Excellent Detour! - 14/1/2010 9:00:07 AM   
batbhai

This will definitely wake you up! Okay, there are mistakes but look at the direction- only one star? The best thriler of 2009!

Post #: 219
RE: Awfull.......review - 20/1/2010 1:37:52 PM   
ajgr1983

One star seems an overly harsh review and comoletely out of sync with the majoroty of the other reviewers for Empire. Why oh why does Dan Jolin hate it so?

Post #: 220
Come on, empire! It was alright - 12/4/2010 1:05:58 PM   
!xHoTRoDx!

There's no denying that Neeson is not a man to mess with.

Post #: 221
Really? - 16/4/2010 3:29:12 PM   
skybond

You have to be dead to not like this movie. Would the author of this review like this movie better if it was in america and it was the U.S. government that was corrupt? The poinjt isnt where it was located but a dads love for his daughter. its brilliant.

Post #: 222
RE: Really? - 26/4/2010 4:41:13 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Neeson's performance reminded me of Darkman 'take the fucking elephant!'. Man I'm off to watch Darkman again.

Oh the film, thought it was funny as hell. Noticed that most of the people involved in production were French so found the whole thing very funny. So much to enjoy in this film, right down to the fat arab man who wants 3 virgins at a time (each costing around $500k). Lets be honest did we really trust albanians before this?

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to skybond)
Post #: 223
RE: Really? - 26/4/2010 6:11:39 PM   
hampstead bandit

I don't know a single person that thought this film was sh*t?

every person I know who has seen it, has thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and recommended it to another friend

perhaps its a "guilty secret" to enjoy watching Taken, but I thoroughly enjoy it, and I've seen it 5 times now

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 224
RE: Really? - 30/4/2010 4:12:34 PM   
JayCbee

Currently 7.9 on IMDB and has been higher - case rests.  Empire is an opinion and cant be right all the time.  I think if anything the review was just a bit harsh and not really thought through.  They are kinda right most of the time....  mind you I liked AVP-R...lol

As for Taken - I really love it and dont care so 4 stars...

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 225
Top man Liam! - 1/5/2010 2:14:15 AM   
s02bf16c

Thought this was really entertaining, very slick direction too!

Post #: 226
Dan Jolin you better stop reviewing films mate - 4/5/2010 3:27:05 PM   
jonnyjay

You cannot present yourself as a critic and then be so wide of the mark.
There are truths in cinema, there are good films and bad films, your job is to know the difference.
You cannot hide behind it is just your opinion because if your opinion stinks, why do you work for Empire.
Because of your ignorance. Empire got their review for Taken wrong.
For your poor writing and reviewing skills you get no stars

Post #: 227
RE: Way Off - 5/5/2010 7:00:19 PM   
max314

A fairly solid actioner with a sympathetic and engaging lead from Liam Neeson. Riddled with genre and character clichés, it still manages to entertain and even surprise at a couple of moments. It's also nice to see a film that values suspense and not just balls-to-walls action.

3/5

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

Post #: 228
RE: Taken review - 6/5/2010 1:11:20 PM   
flushedgordon

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Havnt seen this yet but im going to.The review sounds like it was done by someone who just doesnt like action films and cant suspend disbelief.

This is one of Empire's worst reviews

the movie was pretty entertaining

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 229
RE: Taken review - 13/5/2010 10:45:13 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

This is how action movies should be made.
Leave your brain at the door and enjoy a fast-paced actioner that delivers big time.
A 1 star review????
Looking at some of the films that have gotten 5 stars(we won't get into them!) you have to question the objectivity of some of the reviewers.
Every movie will divide opinion,that is the nature of the world.You cannot though,be so wide of the mark to say this is a 1 star movie.
4 stars,if you haven't seen it,see it now,preferably in Blu-Ray.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to flushedgordon)
Post #: 230
RE: Awfull.......review - 13/5/2010 12:59:01 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I think there's a bit of over-analysis going on.
The Bourne movies are a gigantic franchise that are simply incomparable to Taken,although kudos to Taken that the comparason was made.
As for our "hero" not being in danger,or against bad guys he overcomes easily,jeepers,apply that to Bond,Mission Impossible etc...maybe even Bourne on that point.
I thought,upon first viewing,that there were some genuine moments of tension.
To cut a long and not needed analysis short...every movie has moments of cheese,but this is certainly NOT a cheesey movie.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Post #: 231
RE: Awfull.......review - 13/5/2010 2:19:56 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

I think there's a bit of over-analysis going on.
The Bourne movies are a gigantic franchise that are simply incomparable to Taken,although kudos to Taken that the comparason was made.
As for our "hero" not being in danger,or against bad guys he overcomes easily,jeepers,apply that to Bond,Mission Impossible etc...maybe even Bourne on that point.
I thought,upon first viewing,that there were some genuine moments of tension.
To cut a long and not needed analysis short...every movie has moments of cheese,but this is certainly NOT a cheesey movie.

I don't think there's such a thing as an "over-analysis" although one can have a chronic lack of an analysis in their work. To me the point isn't about how much of a mortal danger in which Bryan Mills was supposed to be placed. Rather, it's his journey albeit in a very kinetic and intense if not a brutal fashion which is intriguing. I agree with you on the moments of tension. The two scenes I love are the one where he speaks to the kindapper by phone and issues a chilling warning, the other is when he interrupts the meeting of the local Albanian gang. The latter scene has a great gradual building of tension as he probes each one, discerning which of them was the one to whom he spoke by phone. Of course, the latter scene is the stark warning to which he issued by phone now presented in person. The look of shock on the guy's face is priceless.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 13/5/2010 3:07:31 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 232
RE: Awfull.......review - 14/5/2010 4:04:22 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

When i say "over-analysis" i mean that it can exist in cases of movies like this,where it really isn't merited.
This is a Sunday afternoon,large popcorn,bag of sweets,relax and enjoy movie.
I don't think it pretends to be anywhere near complex.
In term of analysis,a film like Shutter Island merits more,while a film like Taken,or Robin Hood doesn't.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 233
Spacey! - 7/7/2010 5:02:59 PM   
jimoakley666

Was anyone else freaked out when they realised that wasn't Kevin Spacey doing a French accent. How. Bloody. Bizarre.

I must admit though, the american xenophobia displayed by this film should be considered extremely embarrassing. Specially considering the damned thing is made by French dudes.

"Oh, don't leave the god-blessed amuurka! It's dangerous out there!" Can't we all just wall up north america? That way everyone will feel that little bit more safe, them aspecially. Ha ha ha.

In all seriousness though, this film could have been a lot better if it wasn't for it's childish and rather pointlessly misdirected stereotypes. Had it been about a father looking for his kidnapped civilian-contractor daughter working in Iraq or Afghanistan then it would have made a lot more sense and not left me thinking "Aw, really?!?" every five minutes.

Now there ARE good bits. Liam Neason is not miscast. He's actually pretty good in this. Although, him being Irish (and Famke Janssen being Dutch, I believe) I'd like to know their thoughts on the above.

The action is okay but nothing amazing. It's not as kinetic as Besson's other recent action opus, The Transporter [1&2. We'll forget about number 3].

But then, there in it's self is another comparison in which it falls short, It's not as fun as the Transporter series, either. This film is trapped somewhere between The transporter and Leon in tone, but not as good as either.

The final act picks up pace and flows along at a good rate. It can't make up for the films flaws but it is better than some of the crap out there at the moment.

Post #: 234
RE: Way Off - 14/7/2010 10:29:51 PM   
MarcE

I've just watched it on Sky and thought it was very good. Possibly far fetched, but it was gripping from beginning to end and Liam Neeson kicked some serious ass!

Post #: 235
RE: Way Off - 15/7/2010 12:05:56 AM   
musht

Having finally gotten around to watching this for a second time i have to admit that it wasn't as bad i remember, he action is very good it has to be said. although frankly i still feel the script and acting was quite bad, i mean the singer subplot is just ridiculously tv movie-esque and the daughter is so annoying she RUNS EVERYWHERE, my friends and i made a drinking game out of it it's ridiculous . . . this is a VERY average film that could have been much better

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 236
RE: Taken - 18/7/2010 3:46:16 PM   
drystyx

got to agree with what I think to be the majority of pans for this one.

But it's no surprise. The trailers themselves looked like a clown made them. How could you take it seriously? "I will find you and I will kill you". Is there a single cliche they left out?

No. And to top it off, it's a sick revenge piece. If you want revenge, you have the right not only to shoot any body you suspect, but also anyone's wife. And to top that off, you shoot the wife of a selfish character and expect him to care enough to give you correct information. Right? When a film is overly ridiculous, overly self righteous, overly Republican (don't mess with the important guy, only victimize the poor), and overly anti-Christian in revenge, then you've got a sick puppy.

Post #: 237
RE: Taken - 18/7/2010 11:00:28 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: drystyx

got to agree with what I think to be the majority of pans for this one.

But it's no surprise. The trailers themselves looked like a clown made them. How could you take it seriously? "I will find you and I will kill you". Is there a single cliche they left out?

No. And to top it off, it's a sick revenge piece. If you want revenge, you have the right not only to shoot any body you suspect, but also anyone's wife. And to top that off, you shoot the wife of a selfish character and expect him to care enough to give you correct information. Right? When a film is overly ridiculous, overly self righteous, overly Republican (don't mess with the important guy, only victimize the poor), and overly anti-Christian in revenge, then you've got a sick puppy.

pro-Republican,anti-poor and anti-Christian.
The last bit is the funniest

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to drystyx)
Post #: 238
Implausible, growly thriller...but not a train wreck - 14/8/2010 9:13:46 AM   
Morpheus_00

Whilst this one definitely won't be going on my 'must-own' list, it is an entertaining, if undemanding watch. Yes it's farcical, arguably xenophobic and ultimately short on ideas, but it's suitably tense, well choreographed and largely well played. The reviewer is unnecessarily acerbic - e.g. calling Neeson's attempts to be reunited with his daughter 'creepy': the care he takes in choosing her present is transparently about a previously absent father's desire to show he cares by recognising his daughter's long held singing aspirations, albeit mixed in with a failure to acknowledge her inevitable maturation and an inability to financially compete with step-dads ostentatious gifts. Jolin's portrayal of this as sleazy is a measure of the overly cynical tone of this review.

< Message edited by Morpheus_00 -- 14/8/2010 9:18:28 AM >

Post #: 239
Piece of Crap - 15/8/2010 7:11:16 PM   
Jinnie The Moocher

While I agree with much of what Mr. Jolin is saying, he gets to sounding...dare I say it...a little bit xenophobic with the prolonged rant against the US. Accurate up to a point, but after a while, how tiresome! He sounds like he has a personal grudge. I am certainly quick to agree with many of his criticisms of my country...the reality of America often doesn't live up to the ideal, but give me a break.
So, to address the movie rather than simply spewing "venom", it seemed to me to be a piece of complete crap. It has throwaway characters, including, as someone else mentioned, a bimbo daughter who runs everywhere and acts like a four-year-old, a bitchy mother who is such a laughable charicature she has got to be seen to be believed, and yes, a superdad with an inexplicable accent who will stoop to torture by electrocution and shooting charming, hospitable Frenchwomen to get what he wants. And I thought Liam Neeson couldn't possibly choose a worse role than that which he played in The Phantom Menace.
Cliches abound, from bitchy mom to vapid, giggly teenagers to slick, handsome and devious guys. And has anyone mentioned yet the virgin being offered up as a sacrifice to the fat bastard lounging in his lair? Flimsy characters, idiotic dialogue and an insipid plot come together in a sort of groundshaking supernova of stupidity in this movie that only entertains by keeping the viewer guessing what inane development will manifest itself next.

< Message edited by Jinnie The Moocher -- 15/8/2010 7:14:33 PM >

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI