Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Boring

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Boring Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Boring - 5/6/2009 6:16:33 PM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

One star is a little harsh but the film is shit. It's a make of Commando but hasn't got the common sense to be a cartoon. The action scenes are visceral, brutal and brilliantly staged because you neve lose track of who's doing what to whom, rare in this climate of MTV editing and crash-zooms aplenty and it's only the action that staves off one-star shame.
What butchers the film is the reliance on cliché and the sheer absense of logic.

**spoilers**
If two girls agree to be picked up for a party at a place they don't know, what's the point of kidnapping them from where they're staying?
Is, "There's a boat by the dock" really a strong enough lead to warrant killing the snitch?
I wish this was it but the film is peppered with lazy plotting over-reliant on coincidence - note how Neeson leaves the party just in time to see the baddy escaping with his daughter despite being unconcious for an unspecified length of time. Marvel at Neeson tricking the one man from "hundreds" into repeating the same words he used on the phone to reveal his guilt. And don't get me started on the pop star sub-plot.
Basically, the film goes off the rails when the Albanians are dealt with. To this point it's a good actioner with a couple of flaws but when it gets out of the dirt it's just too silly.
**spoiler over**

Frustrating because this could have been great.

2/5. Two stars for the action and fuck all else for the remaining drivel.

Wasnt the point there wasn't a party he was just trying to find out what floor they were on?

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 181
RE: Boring - 5/6/2009 6:33:46 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

quote:

One star is a little harsh but the film is shit. It's a make of Commando but hasn't got the common sense to be a cartoon. The action scenes are visceral, brutal and brilliantly staged because you neve lose track of who's doing what to whom, rare in this climate of MTV editing and crash-zooms aplenty and it's only the action that staves off one-star shame.
What butchers the film is the reliance on cliché and the sheer absense of logic.

**spoilers**
If two girls agree to be picked up for a party at a place they don't know, what's the point of kidnapping them from where they're staying?
Is, "There's a boat by the dock" really a strong enough lead to warrant killing the snitch?
I wish this was it but the film is peppered with lazy plotting over-reliant on coincidence - note how Neeson leaves the party just in time to see the baddy escaping with his daughter despite being unconcious for an unspecified length of time. Marvel at Neeson tricking the one man from "hundreds" into repeating the same words he used on the phone to reveal his guilt. And don't get me started on the pop star sub-plot.
Basically, the film goes off the rails when the Albanians are dealt with. To this point it's a good actioner with a couple of flaws but when it gets out of the dirt it's just too silly.
**spoiler over**

Wasnt the point there wasn't a party he was just trying to find out what floor they were on?

Obviously there wasn't a party but they would have gone to the 'red door' of their own free will

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 182
RE: Boring - 5/6/2009 10:08:32 PM   
Frank Castle

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

quote:

**spoilers**
**spoiler over**

Obviously there wasn't a party but they would have gone to the 'red door' of their own free will

yeah but that wouldnt be for definate would it they could have changed there minds. going straight for them in a house where there alone is.

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 183
What The Hell? - 15/6/2009 12:04:10 AM   
natman_begins

Dan Jolin, were you in a bad mood when you wrote that review? It seems so! Ok so the storys not too clever, there are a few plot holes and some serious stereo typing that borders on racism but does that mean that every action movie has to be as clever as Bourne? i can honestly say i found Taken to be nothing more than sheer entertainment. Liam Neeson is totally convincing as a double hard bastard. Is that not what action movies are about? seeing bad guys getting there asses kicked? or maybe it was'nt realistic enough for you?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 184
What The Hell? - 15/6/2009 12:04:16 AM   
natman_begins

Dan Jolin, were you in a bad mood when you wrote that review? It seems so! Ok so the storys not too clever, there are a few plot holes and some serious stereo typing that borders on racism but does that mean that every action movie has to be as clever as Bourne? i can honestly say i found Taken to be nothing more than sheer entertainment. Liam Neeson is totally convincing as a double hard bastard. Is that not what action movies are about? seeing bad guys getting there asses kicked? or maybe it was'nt realistic enough for you?

Post #: 185
RE: What The Hell? - 17/7/2009 8:59:34 AM   
CORLEONE

Watched this last night. Not bad at all! One star is ridiculous! Decent action flick, good to see an actor like Neeson go mental, and also good to see bad people getting their ass kicked.

3 stars.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to natman_begins)
Post #: 186
Dan jolin got sacked from empire for this review - 20/7/2009 12:48:39 AM   
Stephbstevens

Dan jolin got sacked from empire for this review because when his bosses read it they realised he was retarded!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 187
empire,, you have to admit that this review is ridiculous - 20/7/2009 12:53:17 AM   
Stephbstevens

1 star,,,,,hahahahahahaha,,, this is a fucking joke of a review,,,,, ill tell ya,,,, a hell of a lot more people enjoyed this movie than they did fucking indian jones 4 which you guys gave 4 stars,,,,,,,your reviews just dont make any sense these days and are all over the fucking place,,, taken=1 star,,,, superman returns=5 stars,,,WTF

Post #: 188
Aw come one Empire??? 1star?? - 21/7/2009 9:02:22 PM   
JayCbee

Dont get me wrong - this aint winning any oscars.  However I have avoided this one like the plague after 1st reading the Empire review.  I have just seen it now - eventually - and have to see I have just enjoyed the last couple of hours a damn sight more that the 2+ hours I wasted on Indy 4!   Sometimes I think reviewers need a reality check.  This moved along like a train and had action set pieces that put Bond to shame.  Personally I enjoyed the calm 'I will find you...and I will kill you!' speech to the listening captor and then the 'Good Luck' reply and click.   Id have ripped the walls apart with my bear hands at that point.   Fantastic scene talking to his daughter calmly whilst she is being kidnapped.   Ill tell you what - they chose the wrong girl to snatch -  BIG mistake!! lol

Im giving this 3 stars because I enjoyed it Empire - so there!!!  

PS - Love all the comments about why dont they just snatch them at the party.  WHAT PARTY!!! I think he may have lied there....   Some cracking detective work fellas - glad you werent on the case.....  Still be trying to get a flight to Paris!

Post #: 189
Discraceful Review- Should be re-done. - 22/7/2009 2:59:33 AM   
sacred_hoops

I thought this a cracking film. Loved it. 1 star? 1 star????!!!!
I have never been so shocked by an empire review in my life. I have always looked to empire as the Holy Grail of movie reviews and this is seriously enough to question that assumption.
I claim to be no expert but I do know a few things about putting a film in to perspective. Even if you don't like it you should be able to understand a few things about what makes a film worthy.
Empire you should really look at having this film re-reviewed as it was obviously the wrong time of the month for Dan Jolin.
There is so many points in the review that don't make sense and Dan is obviously hung up on the 'scary Europe' idea.
Winning back his daughters heart is never in question - she obviously likes loves him from the start.
Its not so much about Europe being scary, its about being naive and that the world is capable of being a dangerous place, particularly for tourists anywhere.
Liam Nesson has an Irish accent.- ...Irish American perhaps?
Shooting innocent bystander? - He points out its only a flesh wound and its all within the story.
The list of inaccuracies here goes on and I will stop my whining. I will just say for anyone wanting to watch this films it IS a good film 3-4 stars easy, not quite Bourne status but very close. Loved it.

Post #: 190
RE: Discraceful Review- Should be re-done. - 23/7/2009 10:59:06 AM   
jobloffski

Finally saw this.

Was only 'taken' by the part of the film where Neeson was preparing his daughter for the fact she would be taken, and the stunning facial acting as he heard her screaming.

Nothing prior to that moment deserved that few moments of screen brilliance. Nothing that came after it lived up to it. Neeson is a major screen presence, someone who can elevate poor material, but the set up for the 'taken' sequence was so perfunctory, and the events spiralling from the central incident so without depth, that the film amounts for waiting for the action to begin, then hoping it will end soon. Not due to the brutality, but because the ending was never, ever in doubt, meaning the efforts to make the film dramatic (which would have required creating the feeling he had no chance of saving his daughter whatsoever) were either lax, or nobody even bothered. Without doubt about the outcome, this kind of film depends solely on being a riotous ride that takes the breath away. It isn't.

The script was of the most basic kind, including giving the daughter a friend with no role in the story but to get killed in order to create a scene where Nesson's character is 'confronted by his daughters potential fate' and since the fear of such a fate was driving his every action, the scene was irrelevant. There was no story reason for the friend to be there and a more powerful set up would have been created by having the daughter go to paris alone, have a great time and realise she was being drawn into a set up that cut her off from the outside world and drew her into an underworld, with a desperate phone call home as she is finally 'taken', and the father then justfiably rages at the mother: You let her go to paris. ALONE. What the FUCK is wrong with you.

Also, a father who WASN'T special forces trained being driven to practically psychopathic behavior in pursuit of his daughters captors would have been inherently more engaging. It still would have been hokum as a story, but more powerful, because the 'how far would you go to save a family member' issues the film toyed with are neutered by having Neeson as a trained expert being up inferior opponents.

The inevitability that the daughter would get her chance to sing (cos, see, dad was right all along and he only had to beat up half the people in paris to make everybody see sense) meant it was production line film making of the most cynical kind, with a major star added, in an attempt to give the film gravitas the script material simply did not supply.

Tone down the violence and whatever edge the film aims for is non-existent. Conclusion: the material had no inherent strength and amounted to 'a golden opportunity to watch major star of the silver screen Liam Neeson beating the fuck out a lot of people'

If that's enough to satisfy, great movie. If not, a lunkheaded vision of 'tough' and 'ballsy' mainstream filmmaking that has a strong central conceit, one moment in the film that puts the rest of it to shame and the only thing 'taken' from you is the vast majority of the minutes of the running time you will never see again.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to sacred_hoops)
Post #: 191
RE: Taken - 23/7/2009 11:10:07 AM   
OddCinema

Not sure why, but I hadn't seen Empire's review of this. I saw Taken a while ago, and whilst it's not the greatest hour and a half of film, it's certainly better than a lot of trash out there. Liam Neeson was a great choice and the plot, whilst predictable, was at least a slight variation of good guys vs. bad guys. It's worth at least two guys, three might be pushing it. But c'mon - which would you rather watch - Dragonball or Taken?

Post #: 192
RE: One of the best modern-day "action movies" - 5/8/2009 2:45:03 PM   
shandyman

Hugely enjoyable entertainment and up there with Darkman as Neeson's best film.

*spoiler*

So many loose ends and tongue in cheek stuff - just rocks up back at LAX with smiling kiddie, now off smack, no PTSD, not arsed that bessie mate just overdosed in sicko flop-house / French spook obviously not that arsed about his missus getting winged over the legumes, hey - it's Holly Vallance again, let's all sing over the closing credits. Now that would have been an even better ending.

Quality !

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 193
RE: Taken - 6/8/2009 11:46:46 AM   
cheekylou82

I thought 1 star was waaaaaaaaay to harsh for this film. I had actually resolved not to bother watching it because of the Empire review, but then a mate of mine who also loves movies urged me to watch it for sheer entertainment value, and I wasn't disappointed. No, its not particularly clever and there might be some holes in the plot. But overall I thought it moved along at a cracking pace and Liam Neeson was cleverly cast (never would have seen him in such a role, but he was great!).

Definitely not a 1 star film.

Fezzik: We face each other as God intended. Sportsmanlike. No tricks, no weapons, skill against skill alone.

Man in Black: You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 194
Sooooooooo - 6/8/2009 12:35:33 PM   
kingkane101

Just so I'm clear you give Indy 4 4 stars, Transformers 2 3 stars and Taken 1 star?
Oh fine just so I know.

Good work Empire . . . . . . . . .

Post #: 195
RE: Sooooooooo - 6/8/2009 3:29:34 PM   
Robert_S

O

< Message edited by Robert_S -- 5/12/2009 1:28:21 AM >

(in reply to kingkane101)
Post #: 196
Super dad - 10/8/2009 9:33:08 PM   
amerelium

I don't care if this movie ain't politically correct. I's about the Big Man kicking ass, and in a world of action movies full of punks, it's refreshing. Who wouldn't love to have this guy as their dad. Liam Neeson is a class act, and carries this movie with flying colours. Giving this movie 1 star tells us that the reviewer is a coward, afraid of offending those who might be offended by the movie's setting.
Again, this is all about the Big Man. A great actor. A pleasure to watch.

Post #: 197
Taken - 28/8/2009 4:53:08 PM   
phil blakeman

One star is a bit of a joke Transformers 2 was a huge waste of time which basically ripped off the first ones plot almost as badly as MIB 2 and you slate this for lack of originality sure the pop star thing sucked and some of the acting was poor but you can't take away the fact that this is an enjoyable film. Also the film made it quite clear that he was a paranoid father. Read character type. Given his past more paranoid than most, but this does kind of ring true for parents the first time their kids go away. I thought this was believable but as you said the fact she isn't there for 5 mins before she is TAKEN definitely isn't. However I stand by my opinion definitely better than Transformers 2 which is basically a 3 star film.

Post #: 198
Not an oscar botherer but enjoyable all the same! - 6/9/2009 11:49:10 AM   
mcclane3011

Lets be honest this movie is never going to win any awards but for entertainment its pretty good.Ok so there's plot holes so big you can drive a bus through them but if you switch your brain off for 90 mins,grab a beer,sit back and enjoy Liam neeson beat the shit out of anyone who gets in his way.

Post #: 199
RE: Pulse Pounding Action Movie. - 23/9/2009 11:49:32 PM   
James2183

A dumb but entertaining action film which had no regard for plot points.

3/5

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to joanna likes films)
Post #: 200
RE: Not an oscar botherer but enjoyable all the same! - 24/9/2009 7:28:59 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: mcclane3011

Lets be honest this movie is never going to win any awards but for entertainment its pretty good.Ok so there's plot holes so big you can drive a bus through them but if you switch your brain off for 90 mins,grab a beer,sit back and enjoy Liam neeson beat the shit out of anyone who gets in his way.

Perfect Example of the type kick-ass action movies I adore.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to mcclane3011)
Post #: 201
Seriously - 6/10/2009 11:50:15 AM   
munky22

Seriously empire, Terminator Salvation, 4 stars! it was absolute guff! and you have even given terminator 3, 3 stars! yet taken was given 1 star? get a grip! The movie was decent and watchable, like a mindless action flick! and isnt that what all guys like to see now and again!!!

Post #: 202
Just because this review was crap - 28/10/2009 2:25:20 PM   
BrianShields25

This was one of the best action films in years. Just because it wasn't all CGI doesn't mean it was crap.

Shame on Empire for this review

Post #: 203
RE: Taken - 10/11/2009 3:08:55 PM   
MisterTokyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: brains

I dont know what all of you lot are talking about Taken is one of the best films of the year. Certainly the best pure action film of the year. Why are you lot hating on the film the plot doesn't really matter the action speaks for itself

its a good movie and should have got more stars

(in reply to brains)
Post #: 204
RE: Taken - 12/11/2009 11:27:52 PM   
BobM70

B movie. Great fun. No pretences. Watch. Get beer. Shag wife. Get up in morning. Forget.

***/*****

Bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to MisterTokyo)
Post #: 205
Oh dear - you misguided fool - 30/11/2009 3:59:50 PM   
Smootle

So you think that it's paranoid to now want your 16 year daughter gallavanting around Europe with only her friend of the same age? What an odd point of view. And you think he's creepily obsessive because he turns up at his daughters party to give his daughter a meaninful birthday present that she's always wanted? I prey you don't have a daughter...

Giving this film one star is tantamount to treason. It's possibly one of the best action movies ever made, and comparing it to commando is purely moronic. No offense.

So why is it so great? Well, there's the characters. I felt for neeson straight away and empathised with him completely. He's been estrabged from his daughter not because he was a neglecting parent, but because he was in the SAS! Those guys have a lot on their plates - they tend to work away from home quite a bit.

The pacing is nigh on perfect, the fight scenes are brutal and realstic, the story brilliant and down to earth, and neeson plays the part perfectly. The reviewer complains that Europe is being typified as a dangerous place - but this isn't hostel we're reviewing here. Women DO get kidnapped and they DO get forced into prostitution. That's reality, and it makes for a damn good movie when one of these girls has a dad who's a trained killer. Don't you dare even THINK about not watching this. If you do then I will find you, and I will kill you. Lol

Post #: 206
- 3/12/2009 5:12:07 AM   
Captain Trips

Awful review. Seems to me that the reviewer wanted to convey their offense at Europe being portrayed as a potentially dangerous place for young teenage girls rather than to appreciate this for what it was - an enjoyable brains-free action thriller.

Not the greatest film of it's genre, but by no means the worst. 3/5

Post #: 207
RE: - 13/12/2009 11:27:13 PM   
Invader_Ace

I know, this was all done ages ago, but I've just seen this.  It was freakin' brilliant!  If there is one thing I love in an action movie it's good swift dismissal, every encounter in this film is a dismissal!  Who knew Liam Neeson was so goddamn hard?!

Also, didn't really think it was that racist.  One star is a joke.

(in reply to Captain Trips)
Post #: 208
RE: RE: - 14/12/2009 6:55:14 PM   
hampstead bandit

did not read the Empire review of Taken but have read a couple of the last posts that Empire gave it 1/5...wtf??

I was put onto Taken by a friend, and sat up until 2am watching it, with my mouth hanging open, as the brutual violence unfolded

he seems like a regular guy, until he's pushed and then it all goes so, so wrong (for the bad guys)

loved this on DVD, HAD to buy the Blu-Ray when it came out ;)

fantastic film, so uncompromising and incredibly violent

4/5 in my humble opinion, I have never seen anything like this film

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 209
RE: RE: - 18/12/2009 2:51:53 PM   
lukeyboy

I would have to agree with the reveiwer myself and give this movie one star - it was complete shit!

I keep hearing the action sequences in this movie being cited as either the movie's one saving grace or in some cases one of many saving graces and likening them to the action sequences in the Bourne movies! Did i miss something? Liam Neeson although being able to talk the talk, certainly didn't seem to be able to walk the walk! He looked uncomfortable and frankly decrepit in the action sequences and half of the guys he fought should've wiped the floor with him by the looks of them! IMO the action scenes and Liam Neeson trying to execute them, were totally unconvincing.

Needless to say the plot was worse than run-of-the-mill and the supporting cast were all bloody awful!

Shit, shit, shit!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Boring Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI