Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Taken Review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Taken Review Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Taken Review - 4/3/2009 12:40:02 PM   
Ghost Mutt

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

The Daily Star gave it "TEN out of TEN"

I think Empire are lying.

I agree, The Daily Star is my bible.

Picking my scabs.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 151
I just dont get this film... - 4/3/2009 11:32:23 PM   
happyfingers69

The first 20-30 minutes that dont have any action in has some seriously bad acting in it. Neeson acts like a newb! Its embarrassing! And i was pretty much laughing the whole time because i dont honestly think that there is anyone on earth who loves their daughter as much as Bryan (Neeson) does. When she's not with him he sits on a chair in the middle of his sitting room looking at a picture of her! Its weird but extremely funny when you realise what i mean. Im giving it 3 stars though due to the brilliant action sequences, and punches that sound like the hulk smashing a bag of bones. Good acting, strangely awful acting, weird film.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 152
A great actioner for normal folk no affected by PC gone... - 5/3/2009 6:27:38 PM   
stormy1990s

Jesus, SOMEONE'S got a slight chip on their shoulder! *nods in the direction of Dan Jolin*. If this is how Empire are now reviewing their movies, I think I'll start buying Total Film instead. A shocking review.....

Post #: 153
There's nothing wrong with this movie - 6/3/2009 11:21:55 AM   
Adendum

Are all the negative reviewers - even the Empire's own Mr Jolin - all missing the point? I think so, sadly a trait of many reviews these days.

It's simply an action thriller that sets the simple story very quickly and then we're taken on a rampage of "revenge" and "retribution". Excellent body count, good wins over evil and everyone is happy. Well I was...enough to buy it on DVD as soon as it came out.

Great entertainment for anyone who doesn't have their own head up their own arse!

Post #: 154
Boring - 10/3/2009 5:22:44 AM   
Halo14

Empire, your review is SPOT ON!!! Well done. A lot of my friends were raving about this move. I fucking hated it. Boring shite!!!

Post #: 155
RE: Boring - 11/3/2009 7:20:37 AM   
jobloffski

Still haven't seen, but a much respected mate likes it and refers to it as 'Liam Neeson beats up Paris'.

Does that sum it up?

If so, is that the kind of semi-humorous frame of mind that best suits this kind of kick-arsey-ass movie that announces intentions of arsey-ass kicking then goes on to kick both ass, arse, and then kick art?

I love Inland Empire, for example, but when I saw Crank it was so fucking stupid, and knowingly so, I couldn't keep the grin off my face.

Will I lose out by looking for depth in Taken, when I should be thinking YEAH, one taken down, two taken down, go Liam, knock over the world if it's between you and your kid!!

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Halo14)
Post #: 156
RE: Boring - 16/3/2009 11:25:15 AM   
CORLEONE

1 star from Empire, $127m gross in the U.S.

Hmmmm.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 157
RE: Boring - 16/3/2009 12:09:29 PM   
Rgirvan44

9% drop from last week in the box office in America. Pretty amazing. The movie is really speaking to people.

Lets see a sequel with Nesson and his drinking buddies going on a mission.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 158
RE: Boring - 16/3/2009 1:25:17 PM   
broonie

Not a bad film at all, seen films that are a lot worse and are given high ratings by Empire.

3 stars at least. Also, Neeson has always looked a right hard bar steward!

Do you want to run this ship?
Yes!
Well,...you cant!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 159
Bollox review from Empire! - 30/3/2009 7:46:51 AM   
tallaght24

Honestly guys, don't really think you get it wrong much but this time you did.

Post #: 160
Empire Seriously Losing It - 30/3/2009 1:28:26 PM   
Hillsman

Once again, Empire demonstrate that they're simply not in touch with their readers or modern day film fans.

My wife and I watched this last night. She is not a fan of action....only X-Men, Bourne & Batman allowed and this is more to do with the leading men! However, we watched Taken last night and we both thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, it was violent and Neeson's character's morality was seriously questionable, but it wasn't all wanton destruction and in the end, some very bad people get what they deserve. Can't we just enjoy that thought for a while?

The story was admittedly ridiculous....daddy's worst fears realised within 2.4 seconds of arriving in Paris...but this sort of thing does happen. Perhaps this film will open a few eyes and encourage some additional waryness as well as satisfy fans of kick-ass fighting, driving and gun-play!!

Post #: 161
- 8/4/2009 11:59:29 PM   
PureAinmhi

One star??? You must have been watching the wrong film. This was great. Not absolutely fantastic but a great action movie. Not the most amazing dialogue to ever be put onto the big screen but there's tons of great action sequences in here. Good to see Neeson doing a fairly different role for a change.

Well worth a watch.

Post #: 162
RE: Agreed - 9/4/2009 5:34:24 PM   
Galahadfairlight

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I find it difficult to reconcile the suggestion from anyone that they aren't PR plants, but yet feel the need to join a site for the magazine they've claimed to read for ages just because of the review of a lame action thriller - that excises them more than any other review Empire has ever given? This movie is neither good nor important enough for a review to be 'catastrophically' wrong. Which is why the word 'plant' is the one that tends to come to the fore.

Fraid you're going to have to reconcile that notion me old chum, its quite a valid point to make.  It does seem odd doesn't it that lots of people post here for the first time, pretty much saying the same thing.  I don't want my opinion to be denigrated or brushed off as 'being a plant', hence why I decided to make the distinction for people such as yourself

And as I stated quite pointedly, my views of movies and Empires are mostly 'on the same page', but when a reviewer gets it so categorically wrong, i'm inclined to speak up.

Lest I think that by complaining about people like me, you're actually Dan Jolins alternate account name?

Oh no, I didn't just make a stupid suggestion there did I, much like the juvenile one you just made!

Sigh

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 163
Come on it was a bit rubbish......... - 19/4/2009 3:22:45 PM   
VictoC

The first 20 mins are shite, it is really cheesy and predictable and Maggie Grace's character is a twat (loved the run) but i do think 1 star was harsh.  I would think 2 1/2.

Neeson meant proper business even if his "i will find and i WILL kill you" comment had me crease up was nice to see him do something different

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 164
RE: Come on it was a bit rubbish......... - 30/4/2009 6:39:38 PM   
musht

Good action overshadowed by bad acting and a bad script, a bad film that my friend dared to compare to die hard . . . they are in different leagues, there are leagues in between the two leagues that those films go into

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to VictoC)
Post #: 165
1 star are you out of your mind? - 10/5/2009 10:15:43 PM   
enema0007

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, I was on the edge of my seat all the way through.

If you like Jack Bauer, Jason Bourne and the new James Bond, take some time out to watch this film, sheer ruthlessness. Much better than the absolute political rubbish that was Syriana which you lot gave 4 stars.....

Post #: 166
EMPIRE! WTF!!! - 10/5/2009 11:22:46 PM   
mgmhog

1 Star??? Come on!! Get with the times Empire - it may not be a perfect film but its VERY watchable and enjoyable. Ok, so there are plot hole sbut tell me a film without any!! This needs a re-review!

Post #: 167
RE: EMPIRE! WTF!!! - 16/5/2009 3:52:50 PM   
Rob

As others have said a thoroughly entertaining film and at least worthy of three if not four stars for me.  I find it hard to believe the reviewer found so little to enjoy in there.  Cheesey yes, generic yes but it moves along quickly with some fantastic action and Neeson makes for a very convincing action man.  Enjoy it for what it is!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to mgmhog)
Post #: 168
RE: EMPIRE! WTF!!! - 17/5/2009 3:52:09 PM   
Jasper

In my opinion a one star rating should be reserved for truly worthless films. For my money Liam Neeson was a much morebelievable badass than, say, Will Hunting -- I mean Jason Bourne.

"Some people will offer you their hand and some won't

Last night I knew ya, tonight I don't

I need something strong, to distract my mind

I'm gonna look at you, till my eyes go blind"

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 169
RE: Empire Seriously Losing It - 17/5/2009 5:59:27 PM   
JagLover

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hillsman

Once again, Empire demonstrate that they're simply not in touch with their readers or modern day film fans.

Once again Empire lets Political correctness determine their movie reviews.

(in reply to Hillsman)
Post #: 170
RE: Empire Seriously Losing It - 17/5/2009 6:03:11 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

This movie is unbelievably bad, and calling it an action film makes the action seem worse, only because you're focusing on the crapness of the action and not the crapness of the film in general.

I don't get why people are in an uproar.

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 171
RE: Empire Seriously Losing It - 18/5/2009 3:52:43 PM   
Rob

I wouldn't say I was in uproar but surely, as Japser states, a one star review should be reserved for truly bad films.  Is it a great movie?  Probably not.  Is it good fun and throughly enjoyable for start to finish?  Absolutely, at least it was for me.  It just seems that sometimes Empire of late is always looking for what's bad in movies instead of switching the mind to neutral and just enjoying things for what they are.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 172
RE: Empire Seriously Losing It - 18/5/2009 4:03:38 PM   
Rgirvan44

I like how Nesson warns his daughter about Paris and in something like the space of two hours landing in France she is kidnapped.

Watched it this weekend. Still delightful.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 173
RE: Empire Seriously Losing It - 19/5/2009 12:38:42 PM   
Sinatra

1 star?
This is why I stopped buying Empire... they're more interested in advertising than films.
Very enjoyable watch, he's make Bourne look like a pussy...!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 174
RE: Empire Seriously Losing It - 22/5/2009 11:38:57 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

1 star?
This is why I stopped buying Empire... they're more interested in advertising than films.
Very enjoyable watch, he's make Bourne look like a pussy...!

Probably because he acts like a cock, shafting his villains.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 175
RE: Boring - 23/5/2009 1:23:53 AM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

1 star from Empire, $127m gross in the U.S.

Hmmmm.

So, every 25 mill is an extra star right ?

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 176
RE: Boring - 25/5/2009 8:39:11 PM   
spamandham

Once again, a cretinous film for cretinous people. No wonder it did well financially in the US market.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 177
RE: Boring - 29/5/2009 3:58:48 AM   
JoeyPottr

How the hell was it boring? I just don't get critics. One damn star? I thought it moved along great. The gadgets were interesting, the scenarios realistic (don't worry no spoilers) I thought it was great, the scary thing is though that stuff like that really happens all the time, everywhere. The only way of being able to track something like that is to have the skills and connections that Neeson's character had. Otherwise it's a lost cause. By all means Spamandham, bash the American moviegoing audience because they went to see a film with an IRISH actor is the lead! then again I like Liam Neeson he's a great actor, always good.
****Minor spoiler I loved the driving scene where Neeson wrecks the hell out of the bad guys' cars and blows up half the construction site!

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 178
RE: Boring - 2/6/2009 2:23:05 PM   
spamandham

quote:

f like that really happens all the time, everywhere. The only way of being able to track something like that is to have the skills and connections that Neeson's character had. Otherwise it's a lo
quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeyPottr

How the hell was it boring? I just don't get critics. One damn star? I thought it moved along great. The gadgets were interesting, the scenarios realistic (don't worry no spoilers) I thought it was great, the scary thing is though that stuff like that really happens all the time, everywhere. The only way of being able to track something like that is to have the skills and connections that Neeson's character had. Otherwise it's a lost cause. By all means Spamandham, bash the American moviegoing audience because they went to see a film with an IRISH actor is the lead! then again I like Liam Neeson he's a great actor, always good.
****Minor spoiler I loved the driving scene where Neeson wrecks the hell out of the bad guys' cars and blows up half the construction site!

Northern Irish actually, he's from Ballymena 

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 179
RE: Boring - 5/6/2009 5:08:51 PM   
Lazarus munkey

One star is a little harsh but the film is shit. It's a make of Commando but hasn't got the common sense to be a cartoon. The action scenes are visceral, brutal and brilliantly staged because you neve lose track of who's doing what to whom, rare in this climate of MTV editing and crash-zooms aplenty and it's only the action that staves off one-star shame.
What butchers the film is the reliance on cliché and the sheer absense of logic.

**spoilers**
If two girls agree to be picked up for a party at a place they don't know, what's the point of kidnapping them from where they're staying?
Is, "There's a boat by the dock" really a strong enough lead to warrant killing the snitch?
I wish this was it but the film is peppered with lazy plotting over-reliant on coincidence - note how Neeson leaves the party just in time to see the baddy escaping with his daughter despite being unconcious for an unspecified length of time. Marvel at Neeson tricking the one man from "hundreds" into repeating the same words he used on the phone to reveal his guilt. And don't get me started on the pop star sub-plot.
Basically, the film goes off the rails when the Albanians are dealt with. To this point it's a good actioner with a couple of flaws but when it gets out of the dirt it's just too silly.
**spoiler over**

Frustrating because this could have been great.

2/5. Two stars for the action and fuck all else for the remaining drivel.

< Message edited by Lazarus munkey -- 5/6/2009 5:10:16 PM >

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Taken Review Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI