Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Awfull.......review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Awfull.......review Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Awfull.......review - 5/9/2011 2:29:41 PM   
BelovedAunt

I dont think so. They are two different films - I understand that. Maybe I should have put "low key" in inverted commas to make it plain that I was using it as a euphemism for "not completely shit". I get that its all about big, dumb action in Taken but to be honest its not even good at that.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 271
RE: Awfull.......review - 5/9/2011 2:56:46 PM   
thetruth

It is very good at that!
As for being "dumb",you could perhaps throw in 11 year old girls using the word "cunt" or some stupid search for weapons of mass destruction to give your actioner a bit more oomph-would that give it a bit more chic intelligence??
This is not a 1 star movie and doesnt pretend to be anything it isnt.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to BelovedAunt)
Post #: 272
RE: Awfull.......review - 5/9/2011 4:05:40 PM   
BelovedAunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

It is very good at that!
As for being "dumb",you could perhaps throw in 11 year old girls using the word "cunt" or some stupid search for weapons of mass destruction to give your actioner a bit more oomph-would that give it a bit more chic intelligence??

I doubt even that would save this (maybe gold coins falling every time Liam Neeson offs another 15 bad guys would though?). The star rating thing is completely subjective - in my opinion it's 100% a 1 star movie but I can accept that others would see it differently.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 273
RE: Awfull.......review - 5/9/2011 5:02:10 PM   
thetruth

Right then,so 4 stars it is then

Without love we are dead

Post #: 274
RE: Awfull.......review - 5/9/2011 5:02:50 PM   
thetruth

You better not watch Rambo either!

Without love we are dead

Post #: 275
I'm shocked - 5/9/2011 6:20:48 PM   
MsMeow

There has not been one person yet whom I have spoken to about this film and have watched it or I recommeded it to, have they said a bad word on it, they all said WOW amazing film! I personally too enjoyed it too, being the reason why I have recommeded it. This is all very new too me to hear thats its rubbish.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 276
Taken - 7/9/2011 6:53:54 PM   
Tech_Noir

SPOILERS

I liked it a lot but the only thing that bugged me in retrospect was how quickly his daughter appeared to forget the ordeal and go back to normal life. I mean her best friend (or just friend) was repeatedly raped and drugged to death.

(in reply to MsMeow)
Post #: 277
RE: Taken - 7/9/2011 7:26:49 PM   
thetruth

True,but to be fair,it's essentially an action film and the story is told by then.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 278
RE: Taken - 7/9/2011 8:18:50 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

True,but to be fair,it's essentially an action film and the story is told by then.

Yeah but to take something as serious as people trafficking and making it into something so throwaway leaves an odd feeling.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 279
RE: Taken - 7/9/2011 8:58:42 PM   
thetruth

Perhaps,but do you really think the target audience would be that bothered?
I agree with your point,there are some fairly graphic images around people trafficking in the film.

< Message edited by thetruth -- 7/9/2011 8:59:01 PM >

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 280
RE: Taken - 8/9/2011 4:41:25 PM   
BelovedAunt

Probably because his daughter was a bit....well 'special' she had forgotten all about it or she was just so overjoyed at getting to sign with Holly Valance or she had to put it all behind her so she could end up getting kidnapped again in the inevitable sequel. "What would you do if someone you love was....TAKEN....er....again?"

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 281
RE: Taken - 8/9/2011 4:53:46 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelovedAunt

Probably because his daughter was a bit....well 'special' she had forgotten all about it or she was just so overjoyed at getting to sign with Holly Valance or she had to put it all behind her so she could end up getting kidnapped again in the inevitable sequel. "What would you do if someone you love was....TAKEN....er....again?"

It's the Holly Valance factor!
And your sequel sounds shit!

Without love we are dead

Post #: 282
RE: Taken - 8/9/2011 5:08:32 PM   
BelovedAunt

You jest but I can see that tagline on posters already and see Maggie Grace (as a 30 year old playing 18) getting 'stolen' by the....erm.....Triads! the second her feet hit Chinese soil.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 283
RE: Taken - 9/9/2011 1:27:30 AM   
thetruth

quote:

You jest but I can see that tagline on posters already and see Maggie Grace (as a 30 year old playing 18) getting 'stolen' by the....erm.....Triads! the second her feet hit Chinese soil.

I'd still watch that!

Without love we are dead

Post #: 284
Shockingly bad! - 24/9/2011 1:15:09 AM   
Farha200

Awful...just awful! I want that hour and half of my life back :(

Post #: 285
Vomitt - 5/12/2011 4:07:48 AM   
antosh25

My friend practically forced me to watch this dribble.
Very action pact but the plot was very soggy, small, straight forward.
Bryan neeson is an older Jason bourne.

Post #: 286
RE: Awfull.......review - 8/12/2011 8:17:21 PM   
Super Hans

Finally got round to watching Taken this evening on rental.  Empire took a bit of an odd stance on this didn't they - kind of "sick filth!!!", Daily Mail-ish review (well, like a Daily Mail that doesn't hate foreigners...).

Having watched the film now, I'm slightly disappointed in Empire - I think they kind of embarrased themselves with their reaction.  It's actually a good, solid actioner.  Lean, tense, brutal and with Liam Neeson surprisingly good in his hardman type role.  Not exactly high art but it was fast, exciting and didn't outstay its welcome.  The obvious crititcism is that had all too neat and happy an ending - something that rarely occurs in the world of people trafficking I would imagine - but then it aint a documentary...

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 287
RE: Awfull.......review - 9/12/2011 12:04:27 AM   
Emyr Thy King

The ending is a little saccharine but then bear in mind that the film is quite dark and there's barely any levity in it so it takes the egde off it slightly. Cracking film though I agree. A revalatory role for Neeson.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 288
too overrated - 13/1/2012 9:49:18 PM   
jordan thomas

just cos its got luc bessons name slapped on it doesnt make it "awesome" and "classic" people need to open there eyes ive seen steven segal DVD flicks that are way better

Post #: 289
RE: too overrated - 14/1/2012 2:06:35 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

This film is...silly.

The plot is decent but its execution lacking.

The acting is average at best. Liam Neesens gritty, bewildering character was on a mission, not just to take his extremely annoying dipsey daughter back from the awful Europeans, but to also cause havok from every step he took, almost from the moment he stepped off the plane no-less.

I also never brought into the minor fact that his dumb-daughter would travel around europe to see U2,Barney the dinosuar Musical,yes,U2,no.(though...)

I also didn't buy into his dumb-daughters Mother and the Mothers new found lover. They seemed very content for the confused Liam Neesens character to do all the hard work.I mean I know he's an Ex-combat man or whatever, but come-on!! get people in who are less, unprofesional.

I could go on for ages with how much this movie is silly, and somewhat stupid.
And having also watched 'unknown' my opinions on Liam Neesens acting credentials and script choices are more than ever showing a distinct assumption of 'picking up the paycheck' than wanting to participate in a quality film/movie.

Side Note
If you bump into someone who likes this film (they all look the same to be honest),and they blurb out that unfortunate in-film 'phone quote/speech', you know the one. Please give off the biggest 'sigh' you could possibly muster and look at them as if you've just witnessed the end of civilisation as you know it…or something.

I give this film one star,because it finally finished.

< Message edited by DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT -- 14/1/2012 2:10:09 PM >

(in reply to jordan thomas)
Post #: 290
RE: Shockingly bad! - 15/1/2012 8:16:28 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Farha200

Awful...just awful! I want that hour and half of my life back :(

Tough, unless you can invent a time machine.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

This film is...silly.

It's fiction, which piece of fiction isn't inherently 'silly'?

quote:

The plot is decent but its execution lacking.

Bryan Mills's executions certainly weren't lacking.

quote:

The acting is average at best. Liam Neesens gritty, bewildering character was on a mission, not just to take his extremely annoying dipsey daughter back from the awful Europeans, but to also cause havok from every step he took, almost from the moment he stepped off the plane no-less.

Why do people take exception to this being set in Europe? This isn't a film meant to depict Europe as an unsafe place. It's actually making reference to something that does unfortunately happen on the continent. Besides Luc Besson produced it, he's hardly going to be anti-European. And if someone snatched a person very dear to me, I'd damn well do anything to get them back.

quote:

I also never brought into the minor fact that his dumb-daughter would travel around europe to see U2,Barney the dinosuar Musical,yes,U2,no.(though...)

Put down those doughnuts now son.

quote:

I also didn't buy into his dumb-daughters Mother and the Mothers new found lover. They seemed very content for the confused Liam Neesens character to do all the hard work.I mean I know he's an Ex-combat man or whatever, but come-on!! get people in who are less, unprofesional.

Well of course he was 'unprofessional'. He went to save his daughter for god's sake.

quote:

I could go on for ages with how much this movie is silly, and somewhat stupid.
And having also watched 'unknown' my opinions on Liam Neesens acting credentials and script choices are more than ever showing a distinct assumption of 'picking up the paycheque' than wanting to participate in a quality film/movie.

I thought the film was a good change of pace for him and he acquitted himself rather well in it. It looks like the consensus here agrees.

quote:

Side Note

If you bump into someone who likes this film (they all look the same to be honest),and they blurb out that unfortunate in-film 'phone quote/speech', you know the one. Please give off the biggest 'sigh' you could possibly muster and look at them as if you've just witnessed the end of civilisation as you know it…or something.

*facepalm* Siiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......but this is 2012.

Hah, nice sweeping generalisation there. Seeing as you're probably gullible enough to believe I'll give it a go. My name's Barney, I'll travel anywhere to see U2 live, Europe is full of psychopathic evil-doers and Bryan Mills is right outside your door now.

quote:

I give this film one star,because it finally finished.

I think everyone here will give you a star for doing the same.

The only weak part of the film is the daughter as they made her too innocent and naïve just so she could be the ingénue that's corrupted by the events of the film.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 15/1/2012 8:19:53 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Farha200)
Post #: 291
RE: Shockingly bad! - 15/1/2012 8:22:01 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

@Emyr Thy King

Maybe in a few years time you might realise how blooming awful that film is.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 292
RE: Shockingly bad! - 15/1/2012 8:25:45 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I doubt it, there's more chance of me putting up pictures of David Cameron in my home.

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 293
RE: Shockingly bad! - 15/1/2012 8:41:10 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

I doubt it, there's more chance of me putting up pictures of David Cameron in my home.

Dumbing down on expectations I see.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 294
RE: Shockingly bad! - 15/1/2012 10:13:39 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

Dumbing down on expectations I see.

No I'm quite conservative when it comes to expectations.

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 295
RE: Awfull.......review - 23/1/2012 3:24:25 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

quote:

Never known a film to provoke such different opinions. I have friends who love this and put it in their top tens. For me it was utterly dreadful - one ridiculous coincidence after another all the way through. A better take on the theme is Trade which is far more low-key.

Thank you thank you thank you, if anyone had this much luck in these situations then we could all overcome anything. I hate this film

Black Jesus!!!:

I rode into town on an ass

Yo mommas ass

Black Jesus!!!!!

Post #: 296
RE: Awfull.......review - 23/1/2012 3:26:00 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

quote:

Never known a film to provoke such different opinions. I have friends who love this and put it in their top tens. For me it was utterly dreadful - one ridiculous coincidence after another all the way through. A better take on the theme is Trade which is far more low-key.

Thank you thank you thank you. If we all had his luck in this film we could all come out on top in his situation.

Black Jesus!!!:

I rode into town on an ass

Yo mommas ass

Black Jesus!!!!!

Post #: 297
RE: Awfull.......review - 24/1/2012 12:32:42 PM   
theEqualiser

Quality film.
4 stars easily-frowned upon by movie snobs.

Film is forever

(in reply to JAYDAK1SS)
Post #: 298
If you're not a film snob - 28/1/2012 4:51:28 PM   
Name not taken

...you'll enjoy this film. Its not looking for oscars. Just a great goody versus baddies film. Excellent. Loved it.

Post #: 299
RE: Awfull.......review - 22/3/2012 10:53:11 PM   
Nimrods Son

quote:

It is very good at that!

In fairness, Kick Ass had more wit and smarts in its severed finger than the entirety of Taken. Which is saying something considering how gleefully brainless Kick Ass is at times.

It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.
-Jacob (Lost)

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Awfull.......review Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI