Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 21/9/2008 2:14:01 AM   
MR T's GOLD CHAINS

Christopher Walken - King of New York - Chris' potrayal of the
gangster Frank White is easily one of the most underrated
performances ever - career best this one

Lawrence Fishburne - Whats Love Got To Do With It
Yes - the Tina Turner biopic. Lawrence Fisburne puts in a perfomance
so chilling as abusive husband Ike Turner that you truly see the dark side
of humanity. Nominated for best actor in 1994 but no gongs. Shows
what a great actor he really is.

Morgan Freeman - The Shawshank Redemption
Possibly the most overlooked performances in a film ever.

Salma Hayek - Lonely Hearts
Salma's performance of the serial killer Martha Beck in Lonely
Hearts was gutsy, chilling, psychotic and absolutely sexy at the
same time. The whole film is criminally underrated.

Nicolas Cage - Lord of War
I don't usually like Nic Cage all that much but this is a towering
performance in this movie. He does the impossible, makes a
sympathetic, likeable and driven man out of a slimy Ukranian
arms dealer - he tells you at the start - he's not going to tell you about
a pack of lies to make you like him - you end up liking him anyway.

Brad Pitt - Fight Club
How Brad didnt walk away with this is beyond me. Most daring
and brilliant performance of his career in Tyler Durden. This movie
got nominated for Special FX and Sound Editing only? You are
kidding me. I dont think there's a film made in the last 15 years
that is talked about as much as this.

< Message edited by MR T's GOLD CHAINS -- 21/9/2008 2:24:11 AM >

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 31
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 21/9/2008 2:37:17 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson
1. David Thewlis - Naked over Tom Hanks - Philadelphia
2. Edward G. Robinson - Double Indemnity over Barry Fitzgerald - Going My Way
3. Anjelica Huston - The Dead over Olympia Dukakis - Moonstruck
4. Steve Martin - All Of Me over F. Murray Abraham - Amadeus
5. River Phoenix - My Own Private Idaho over Anthony Hopkins - Silence Of The Lambs
6.Cary Grant - Bringing Up Baby over Spencer Tracy - Boys Town
7. Jeremy Irons - Deadringers over Dustin Hoffman - Rain Man
8. Orson Welles - The Third Man over Dean Jagger - Twelve O'Clock High
9. Mark Ruffalo - You Can Count On Me over Russell Crowe - Gladiator
10. John Cazale - Dog Day Afternoon over George Burns - The Sunshine Boys

For non-nominated, an excellent list.

1, I actually think Hanks deserved an award for this, even over Fishburne. But neither came close to Thewlis.
2. Should clearly have been Edward G vs Clifton Webb. A very hard choice.
3. Monstruck isn't a great film but I think Dukakis is great in it. Huston certainly deserved a nomination.
4. I think it is unfortunate they often ignore comedies as Martin is wonderful. It was a strong year and, even if I do think Amadeus has dated, the one immensely watchable part is Murray Abraham. I thought he just pipped Waterston in Killing Fields and Finney in Under the Volcano.
5. Not a great year. I'd be happy with your way round.
6. Where do you start? (Isn't it great you can order your collection by year!) Absent nominations include Powell's Marlowe, Grant v's himself in Arsenic, MacMurray ignored, Welles in Jane Eyre, Eddie Bracken? Laird Cregar - although they didn't do posthumous then, did they?
7. Great performance - should have replaced Hanks in the nominations. I think Hoffmans was too - I'd say he should have won for Tootsie but that was a great year.
8. Interesting and iconic - but I'll stick with Ralphie.
9. Not a tremendous fan of the film, but I agree on Linney.
10. Should have been nominated, not necessarily winner in that year though he'd have deserved it.

1. I like Hanks' performance as well, I actually like quite a few of the performances that I mention here (Dukakis and Abraham included), it's just I think some other people were so much better.

5. 1991 was an odd year, wasn't it? I think you can take every single one of the male acting performances and replace them with a superior one. My personal nominations would have been

Actor

Joe Mantegna - Homicide
Kuroudo Maki - A Scene At The Sea
David Morse - The Indian Runner
River Phoenix - My Own Private Idaho
John Turturro - Barton Fink

Supporting Actor

Larry Fishburne - Boyz N The Hood
John Goodman - Barton Fink
Samuel L. Jackson - Jungle Fever
Viggo Mortensen - The Indian Runner
David Strathairn - City Of Hope

10. I would have been happy if Cazale had been nominated the year earlier as well. A remarkable actor who had an all too short career. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 32
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 21/9/2008 2:43:39 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Lilies of the Field is not the film I'd have rewarded Poitier for - not in a year with  Harris in This Sporting Life and Finney in Tom Jones. Take your pick from them. 

Regarding Poitier, I think he should have won two years earlier for A Raisin In The Sun. Harris and Finney were both great that year, but I think Newman was their equal and my personal winner would have been Tom Courtenay for Billy Liar. Maurice Ronet or Peter Breck would have been good nominees as well.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 33
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 21/9/2008 9:10:36 AM   
matty_b

How Paul Giamatti didn't even got a nomination for Sideways is still beyond me. He should have walked away with Best Actor that year (as should have Thomas Haden Church who was at least nominated in the supporting category).

As it is, that year should have seen Don Cheadle win for Hotel Rwanda rather than Jamie Foxx for Ray.

The following year should have seen Joaquin Phoneix win for Walk the Line rather than Philip Seymour Hoffman for Cartman, er, Capote.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 34
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 21/9/2008 9:54:02 AM   
elab49

quote:

Regarding Poitier, I think he should have won two years earlier for A Raisin In The Sun. Harris and Finney were both great that year, but I think Newman was their equal and my personal winner would have been Tom Courtenay for Billy Liar. Maurice Ronet or Peter Breck would have been good nominees as well.

I dislike Zhivago but I nearly plumped for Courtenay there. I think another Brit would have blown Oscar's little mind though!

I have absolutely no quarrel with anyone on your 1991 list for 1992 Oscar  - it would have been one of the most creditable line-ups the academy had recognised. Early recognition for the work in Sayle's films I'd probably go for the Indian Runner pair from those options. More left field? I'd consider Raul Julia in the actors.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 35
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 22/9/2008 1:45:27 AM   
MR T's GOLD CHAINS

Poitier should have won for In The Heat Of The Night - one of his all time
best films - instead - Rod Steiger cleaned up with a trifecta in Oscar Win/Bafta/Golden Globe awards - deservedly so - he was brilliant - both the leads were.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 36
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 22/9/2008 12:33:49 PM   
Groovy Mule

quote:

3. Julianne Moore - The Hours

The Chicago love bewildered me at the time and now that some distance had passed its all the more baffling. I know that Moore split her own vote that year, but Catherine Zeta Jones has an Oscar and Julianne Moore doesn't?

6. Bill Murray - Lost In Translation

I know this film tends to split people and many will disagree, but I think Murray's performance was incredible. Sean Penn on the other hand was on autopilot. Kevin Bacon acted him off the screen so how could he even be classed as best actor in the film, let alone best of the year?

8. William H. Macy - Fargo

Cuba Gooding Jr. has an Oscar. Just think about that for a while.

10. Rinko Kikuchi - Babel

I had very little time for Babel, but the segment with Kikuchi was masterful and shows what the director could be capable of in the future. Kikuchi gave a heartbreaking performance and how the hell she lost to Jennifer Hudson will always baffle me.

3.  I'm afraid I can't agree with this.  I really like Julianne Moore but I do feel there is now an active effort to have her win to make up for past failures such as Magnolia.  Whilst Catherine Zeta Jones may not have had the career of Julianne Moore , she is extremely good in Chicago, easily the best performance in the film (by some margin) and utterly convincing.  As far I as am concerned, leaving aside careers and opinions on musicals etc, CZJ deserved her win.

6.  Close call and I like both films but I feel Penn does just edge it.  Again, I think some of the hard feeling comes down to relative careers.  This was seen as Murray's best chance to win whereas Penn will likely have his chance again (probably with Milk which looks good).  Penn should have won for Dead Man Walking.

8.  This result always makes me shudder.  I agree that Cuba Gooding Jr was not deserving but whilst I enjoyed Macy's performance in Fargo, which is a film that I love, I would have given the Oscar to Ed Norton for Primal Fear.

10.  I liked Hudson's performance but I agree that Kikuchi was, by far the most deserving for her performance.

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 37
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 22/9/2008 3:24:34 PM   
ElephantBoy

Great List rawinson, out of the ones I've seen.

Kate Winslet -agree one of her best and most chellening roles.
Laura Linney -agree hands down this one(although i like Swank)
Julianne Moore -YES! YES! YES!!! Nicoles performance is the only thing i can find wrong in the Hours, admittling it's a pretty big flaw.
Bill Murray -kinda of, i love the performance and the film.  He does have a harder job than Penn, but as mixed as i am on Penns work, i did think he carried a real mence and was a key part in the story, so can except him getting the oscar.  But i would tend to come down on your just.
William H. Macy -disagree, Cuba Gooding is excellent! Macys good in Fargo, but really it's Frances who steals the film.
Jack Lemmon -agree

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 38
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 22/9/2008 4:38:14 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Groovy Mule

quote:

3. Julianne Moore - The Hours

The Chicago love bewildered me at the time and now that some distance had passed its all the more baffling. I know that Moore split her own vote that year, but Catherine Zeta Jones has an Oscar and Julianne Moore doesn't?

6. Bill Murray - Lost In Translation

I know this film tends to split people and many will disagree, but I think Murray's performance was incredible. Sean Penn on the other hand was on autopilot. Kevin Bacon acted him off the screen so how could he even be classed as best actor in the film, let alone best of the year?

8. William H. Macy - Fargo

Cuba Gooding Jr. has an Oscar. Just think about that for a while.

10. Rinko Kikuchi - Babel

I had very little time for Babel, but the segment with Kikuchi was masterful and shows what the director could be capable of in the future. Kikuchi gave a heartbreaking performance and how the hell she lost to Jennifer Hudson will always baffle me.

3.  I'm afraid I can't agree with this.  I really like Julianne Moore but I do feel there is now an active effort to have her win to make up for past failures such as Magnolia.  Whilst Catherine Zeta Jones may not have had the career of Julianne Moore , she is extremely good in Chicago, easily the best performance in the film (by some margin) and utterly convincing.  As far I as am concerned, leaving aside careers and opinions on musicals etc, CZJ deserved her win.

6.  Close call and I like both films but I feel Penn does just edge it.  Again, I think some of the hard feeling comes down to relative careers.  This was seen as Murray's best chance to win whereas Penn will likely have his chance again (probably with Milk which looks good).  Penn should have won for Dead Man Walking.

8.  This result always makes me shudder.  I agree that Cuba Gooding Jr was not deserving but whilst I enjoyed Macy's performance in Fargo, which is a film that I love, I would have given the Oscar to Ed Norton for Primal Fear.

10.  I liked Hudson's performance but I agree that Kikuchi was, by far the most deserving for her performance.

3. I think it's more a case of people being upset that deserving performances lost to 'freak' winners (Basinger, Zeta Jones) I think the only really good performance in Chicago (Certainly the only one that even deserved an Oscar nomination) was John C. Reilly. Most of the performances (like the film itself) were just empty spectacle. Except for Renee, who didn't even provide the spectacle. Moore would have been deserving for either of her nominations that year.

6. I actually think Murray has had a far stronger career than Penn. If I run the Oscars he'd have been in contention for Groundhog Day, Rushmore, Broken Flowers, The Life Aquatic, Cradle Will Rock, Caddyshack and Quick Change (Directing as well as acting) He'd have won at least twice as well. Penn, IMO, puts in some great work mixed in with awful performances in terrible films. For every Thin Red Line or Dead Man Walking there's been a We're No Angels or I Am Sam. Mystic River was Penn doing angst by the numbers. Kevin Bacon was superb in the same film and if he'd beaten Murray then I would have had no complaint. I've always been happier with Penn's work behind the camera and I'd have given him an Oscar for directing The Indian Runner.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 22/9/2008 4:39:10 PM >

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 39
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 22/9/2008 5:24:19 PM   
elab49

The 2 supports were really industry awards. Lee Grant in Shampoo shouldn't have won over Lily Tomlon in Nashville, and George Burns? 3 nominated performances better and plenty not - Burgess Meredith is wonderful in Day of the Locust, Sarandon got the nom for Dog Day Afternoon, unlike Cazale, and Dourif's support in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Leaving aside the idiocy of Rocky's win and the fact that Stallone became only the third person to be nominated for acting and writing in the same year allowing his name to be in the same sentence as Orson Welles and Charlie Chaplin - I'd still put Finch over De Niro's excellent performance.

I love The Goodbye Girl so I have no argument with Dreyfuss's win. Not a great list of nominations but as Keaton's performance in Annie Hall made me want to rip my eyes out in irritation I'd have given Goodbye Girl the clean sweep - Marsha Mason was excellent.

Support? Robards shouldn't have take the double - his co-star, Schell, was better but why not good old Harry Pearce for Equus?

Hoffman was on autopilot in the dreary Kramer vs Kramer - all the other performances were better. Out of the 4? I'd have tossed a coin between Pacino in And Justice For All and Scheider in All That Jazz. Removing technical Meryl from support - Jane Alexander was much better. As always.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 40
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 23/9/2008 6:09:40 PM   
no1psh

Ellen Burstyn not getting an Oscar for Requiem For A Dream is the biggest robbery in motion picture history!

"I drink you're milkshake!"
"I drink it up"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 41
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 23/9/2008 8:57:26 PM   
JonathanMardukas

10. Ian Mckellen - The fellowship of the Ring
9. Ray Liotta - Goodfellas
8. Gary Sinise - Forrest Gump
7. Brad Dourif - One Flew over the cuckoo's nest
6. Dustin Hoffman - Midnight Cowboy
5. Daniel Day Lewis - Gangs Of New York
4. Richard Harris - The Field
3. Al Pacino - Godfather Part 2
2. Peter Sellers - Dr. Strangelove
1. Paul Newman - The Hustler

G: Hey, guy. They tell me you're the actor who plays Marta's brother, Tio.
Spanish actor: Como?
G: Oh, you're gonna be in a coma, all right.

(in reply to no1psh)
Post #: 42
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 23/9/2008 10:24:11 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaun_Cowley08

Pity is, they gave him one he didn't deserve for the sequel.

quote:

(in reply to JonathanMardukas)
Post #: 43
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 23/9/2008 11:07:44 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

I love the fact that he won for The Color Of Money. The year before the gave him the special award (The 'We Don't Think You'll Ever Win One Otherwise' Oscar.) and then the following year he actually did win it and made them look foolish. For that reason alone it's possibly the greatest Oscar win ever. But in terms of his competition that year he was actually the least deserving. I'd have gone with Dexter Gordon.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 44
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 23/9/2008 11:09:37 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

9. Ray Liotta - Goodfellas
4. Richard Harris - The Field

A joint award?

Post #: 45
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 24/9/2008 12:16:20 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

I love the fact that he won for The Color Of Money. The year before the gave him the special award (The 'We Don't Think You'll Ever Win One Otherwise' Oscar.) and then the following year he actually did win it and made them look foolish. For that reason alone it's possibly the greatest Oscar win ever. But in terms of his competition that year he was actually the least deserving. I'd have gone with Dexter Gordon.

I agree on last of 5 - and I like Newman! I'd probably have gone for James Woods - but wouldn't have had a problem with Gordon or Hoskins, to be honest. It'd have been more creditable giving it to him for The Verdict - but that was a pretty tough year too (I'd have given it to O'Toole!)

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 46
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 24/9/2008 12:33:51 AM   
rawlinson

Woods was good. But in my Danny Peary style Alternative Oscars world he'd have won supporting actor two years earlier for Once Upon A Time In America. O'Toole would have taken support for The Stunt Man (I never agreed he was lead in that film) and lead for The Ruling Class, possibly Lawrence as well.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 47
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 24/9/2008 10:56:36 AM   
elab49

Going through them I'm trying to confine them to deserving for performance in year - otherwise I'd end up in the same mess they have . Mind you, I'm not trying the difficult route you are and IDing non nominated performances.

I'd get into trouble with sentiment then and dethrone your James Woods with my Leo McKern (Ladyhawke - your point is? ) and then give it fairly to Raul Julia for Kiss of the Spiderwoman but it would have been nice to see nominations for Dance with a Stranger - and can we include Tim Curry for Clue?.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 48
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 25/9/2008 2:49:56 AM   
bobbydee

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

1987 - Bruce Campbell, Evil Dead 2!

hmmm...

Last five films watched:
Psycho 5/5
The Beach 3/5
Cleo from 5 to 7 5/5
The Boat That Rocked 3/5
The Manchurian Candidate 5/5

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 49
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 25/9/2008 5:27:42 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Going through them I'm trying to confine them to deserving for performance in year - otherwise I'd end up in the same mess they have . Mind you, I'm not trying the difficult route you are and IDing non nominated performances.

I'd get into trouble with sentiment then and dethrone your James Woods with my Leo McKern (Ladyhawke - your point is? ) and then give it fairly to Raul Julia for Kiss of the Spiderwoman but it would have been nice to see nominations for Dance with a Stranger - and can we include Tim Curry for Clue?.

McKern did pick up a couple of lead actor awards for Travelling North, you could always dethrone Michael Douglas in his favour. And of course Tim Curry in Clue is included . I introduced my wife to Clue a few weeks ago, triple billed with the 45 And Then There Were None and the Russian version from 87.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 25/9/2008 5:28:19 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 50
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 6/10/2008 3:43:29 PM   
Karl Crutchley

I would look at the 1990 womens oscars

Best Actress Kathy Bates (Misery), whose performance was clearly overshadowed by Angelica Huston in The Grifters.

I also thought Annette Benning (The Grifters) should have beated Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost. It almost felt like Whoopi was getting this because she didnt get one for The Color Purple.

< Message edited by Karl Crutchley -- 7/10/2008 8:19:27 AM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 51
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 6/10/2008 4:04:05 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Crutchley

I would look at the 1990 womens oscars

Best Actress Kathy Bates (Misery), whose performance was clearly overshadowed by Angelica Hustin in The Grifters.

I wouldn't say clearly - one of the rare occasions when the academy was faced with 2 excellent performances. I don't like Misery but I still recognise the quality of Bates's performance. And as you note, Huston was wonderful. Joanne Woodward was also notable in Mr and Mrs Bridge, although it was right she didn't win.

quote:

(in reply to Karl Crutchley)
Post #: 52
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 7/10/2008 4:40:27 PM   
JonathanMardukas

Yeah, why not?? Been done before...

G: Hey, guy. They tell me you're the actor who plays Marta's brother, Tio.
Spanish actor: Como?
G: Oh, you're gonna be in a coma, all right.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 53
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 7/10/2008 4:53:20 PM   
Dantes Inferno

elab49, love your run-through of all the years! I'm guessing you're gonna do the rest too? You better be.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

Post #: 54
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 7/10/2008 6:25:26 PM   
elab49

Thank you

Thursday, after my exam. Cannot take in any information right now!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 7/10/2008 6:26:54 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 55
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 7/10/2008 6:34:31 PM   
Dantes Inferno

I know exactly what you mean. I'm reading to take the test for my driver's license, and I don't think there is a thing I don't know about cars at the moment. Can't wait to pass and just put aside the book and just focus on the driving.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 56
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 7/10/2008 8:48:13 PM   
elab49

There was a bit in one of our papers recently that compared tests between countries and seemed to imply ours tended towards the easy end. I don't recall Norway being mentioned in it though.

Good luck!

quote:

Post #: 57
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 7/10/2008 10:18:34 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Thanks.

Ours are extremely complicated, and are designed to make sure the tested person really understands the question and answer. I can understand that, but it wouldn't hurt for the test to be a little easier.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 58
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 8/10/2008 2:33:07 PM   
ElephantBoy

Well I love Misery and I think Bates was towering in it, a rare occusion where a comic performance carried dramtic weight and took in horror too, she clearly deserved that Oscar.  But I would agree that Goldberg didn't deserve her one for Ghost, a one note comedy performance which made no difference to the film itself.

Post #: 59
RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... - 19/10/2008 11:11:26 PM   
elab49

Hard to argue DeNiro for Raging Bull, even if we are trying to rework O'Toole into a deserved win. IN the year where the undeserving Ordinary People overshadowed Raging Bull and Elephant Man the former certainly deserved something, though. Spacek too - although Burstyn must have been a contender in Resurrection.

Support though. I quite like Hutton - he is doing some justice to the Nero Wolfe adaptations and he was excellent in Kidnapped, a cancelled show last year that deserved better. But Robards or the wonderful Hirsch (I say this as I watch him also being wonderful in Independence Day ) should have taken the prize. And sentiment - and a brilliant comic performance - should have seen Eileen Brennan take support.

The sentimental win for Fonda robbed Newman of an award he could have won- for Absence of Malice. The treacly On GOlden Pond won solely on sentimental points. Either Sarandon in Atlantic City or Marsha Mason in Only When I Laugh would have been more deserving Actress winners. Support? Happy enough although the 2 Ragtime nominations (Howard Rollins and Elizabeth McGovern )would have been equally deserving and it would have been wonderful to see Joan Hackett take the prize).

One of the best sets of actors nominations I've seen. Hoffman's Tootsie, O'Toole in My Favourite Year, Lemmon in Missing, Newman in the Verdict. Kinglsey took it for Gandhi. I've already mentioned my choice here - O'Toole was simply amazing in My Favourite Year. But it is hard to disagree with any of them, really. Obviously dump tedious technical Meryl, Jessica Lange wins for Frances in not a great year. James Mason for The Verdict of John Lithgow for Garp should have taken support from Gossett Jr for that ridiculously silly film.

Terms of Endearment is, for me, a terrible film. So we lost Best Actress and Supporting Actor right off. Julie Walters for Educating Rita or Jane Alexander for Testament? Walters takes home an Oscar. Supporting Male I'd give to Charles Durning for To Be or Not To Be, although Sam Shephard in The Right Stuff would have been fine.

Good as Duvall was in Tender Mercies it was clearly a win as a result of him being the only American on the list. Courtenay and Finney for The Dresser, Caine for Rita and Conti being quite wonderfully drunk in Reuben Reuben. It clearly should have been a battle from The Dresser. Finney had the showier part but Courtenay would have been my choice. Supporting actress- the great choice of Linda Hunt - no argument from me.

Happy with F Murray Abrahams win but if Finney had taken it I wouldn't object. For actress it was the year of those dreary struggling stong women in the American midwest films - none of them really any good. I'd consider Redgrave but the idea of Reeve 'acting' in an Oscar winning film really doesn't work. Which leaves Judy Davis's creditable performance in Passage to India. Why no Kathleen Turner for Romancing the Stone? Great performance. Linda Hamilton in The Terminator - they don't nominate those, do they. Lily Tomlin from All of Me. Frances McDorman from Blood Simple. Maggie Smith - Private Function. Now there's 5 to choose fome. .

Excellent male year. My personal choice would be James Garner in Murphy's Romance, but you can't argue with William Hurt's turn in Kiss of the Spider Woman. But why no nomination for Raul Julia?

Cher in Moonstruck? Um, no. Holly Hunter for Broadcast News - yes. In the real world, Connery in The Untouchables? No - possibly Albert Brooks for Broadcast News or Denzel as Steve Biko.

If you can put up with Foster chewing her words into the side of her mouth then The Accused was a deserving win. But funny as Kline was in Wanda, beating Guinness's superb turn in Little Dorrit was absurd. Sad not to see more acknowledgement of this great film. The year of the controversy with Geena Davies winning support for a role that wasn't - Joan Cusack should have won it for Working Girl with only co-star Weaver as competition.

Can't argue Day-Lewis, although Branagh's Henry V must have been in with a shot.

Huston (Grifters) vs Bates (Misery) already mentioned. Personally I'd have given an award to Depardieu for Cyrano although Irons is excellent in Reversal of Fortune.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/5/2009 1:01:41 PM >

quote:

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: top 10 performances that SHOULD have one an oscar... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI