Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Creationism vs Evolution

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Creationism vs Evolution Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 3:50:52 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry Of Arabia
... and as a guess is subject to being completely dismissed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs
God has to be proven to exist before claims can be made on its input in the universe. Seeing as no one has managed that it can be dismissed out of hand.

Which would be pointless, as there is no evidence of anything else either, at all. There is no better or worse argument. You can simply dismiss it of course (as indeed I would be inclined to do), but doing so in this instance does little other than to merely demonstrate a certain prejudicial stance. There is no proof of anything when it comes to the principle start of the Universe, unlike evolution etc.

quote:

Also 'goddidit' is borderig on the absurd, the word God be interchanged with literally anything, Zeus, Cthulu, Katie Price, whatever.

'God' is just a word obviously, the point was more to do with what it represents.

There are theories that the universe has always existed, negating the need for a creator, this will most likely change over time but it still beats and notion of a first cause god.

And dismissing something's existence becouse of lack of proof isn't prejudice, it's logical.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 181
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 3:53:25 PM   
superdan

quote:

There are theories that the universe has always existed, negating the need for a creator, this will most likely change over time but it still beats and notion of a first cause god.

Where's the proof though?

Edit: The notion of an infinite universe that somehow had no beginning and will have no end is almost as difficult to stomach as some supreme being.

< Message edited by superdan -- 7/7/2012 3:55:56 PM >

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 182
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 3:57:55 PM   
Deviation

Isn't this all irrelevant for some Christians (dunno about Muslims or Jews) though? Somebody like Rowan Williams will say that the idea of creation is not a theory like the scientific ones and cosidering it so is undermining it and confusing what it is, ie, not an alternative to those scientific ones but another thing in its entirity.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 7/7/2012 4:24:18 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 183
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 4:23:10 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

quote:

Edit: The notion of an infinite universe that somehow had no beginning and will have no end is almost as difficult to stomach as some supreme being.

It's a theory so it's based on some facts that we already know, even if it is pretty hat stand.

And Lol, true. It's a bastard to comprehend.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 184
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 4:44:54 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's a theory so it's based on some facts that we already know, even if it is pretty hat stand.

I thought it was a by-product of certain models, or hypotheticals, to do with inflation rather than a fully-formed theory. I may well be wrong though.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 185
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 5:04:17 PM   
sharkboy

Personally I prefer Douglas Adams' theory as proposed in Restaurant At The End Of The Universe:

quote:

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 186
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 5:18:27 PM   
Spaldron

The answer to this thread is 42.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 187
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 5:21:57 PM   
Lazarus munkey

Do you know where your towel is?

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 188
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 6:35:46 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Where do these hardline clerics stand on unnecessary apostrophes?

Thank GOD someone mentioned this. I was dying here.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 189
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 6:55:55 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

There, they're, their...

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 190
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 7:05:44 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

quote:

quote:

There, they're, their...

Too, to, two...

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 191
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 7:08:27 PM   
Skiba

One, won,

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 192
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 7:11:28 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

One, won,

God would not approve.

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 193
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 7/7/2012 7:18:16 PM   
Skiba

Yes, I've heard that he hates the Chinese

Post #: 194
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 12:15:16 AM   
homersimpson_esq

What really bakes my noggin is the whole infinite, beginning, beyond the universe, type thoughts. So The Big Bang started everything. But, like, what was before that? I mean, really, that's a mindfuck. The idea that there was nothing. Not "a vast empty space full of nothing", but actually nothing. Just, no concept of time or space or existence or anything, just...nothing. And then, suddenly, everything. How did the everything happen? It's just.... O_o

And then, once we accept that things exist, and that the universe is expanding, the whole "beyond the edge of the universe" thing. What's beyond the universe? It's that nothing again. Not "emptiness", but nothing. Literally nothing. I really struggle with that idea of a finite universe. Because to have boundaries it implies something else is out there. Yet the very idea that the universe is EVERYTHING means there cannot be anything else out there. Because this is it.

This is an interesting webpage about the big bang theory - http://www.big-bang-theory.com/ What is interesting is where the knowledge breaks down. So many unknowns, uncertainties.

What I dislike is the idea that people take away that God is the bearded guy. That he's something knowable, something comprehendable. He isn't. And I say "he" just because saying "it" seems wrong. There's a temptation to take a very simplistic view, a reductive argument, at something that is the most complex thing of all.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 195
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 3:32:04 AM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

What really bakes my noggin is the whole infinite, beginning, beyond the universe, type thoughts. So The Big Bang started everything. But, like, what was before that? I mean, really, that's a mindfuck. The idea that there was nothing. Not "a vast empty space full of nothing", but actually nothing. Just, no concept of time or space or existence or anything, just...nothing. And then, suddenly, everything. How did the everything happen? It's just.... O_o

And then, once we accept that things exist, and that the universe is expanding, the whole "beyond the edge of the universe" thing. What's beyond the universe? It's that nothing again. Not "emptiness", but nothing. Literally nothing. I really struggle with that idea of a finite universe. Because to have boundaries it implies something else is out there. Yet the very idea that the universe is EVERYTHING means there cannot be anything else out there. Because this is it.

This is an interesting webpage about the big bang theory - http://www.big-bang-theory.com/ What is interesting is where the knowledge breaks down. So many unknowns, uncertainties.

What I dislike is the idea that people take away that God is the bearded guy. That he's something knowable, something comprehendable. He isn't. And I say "he" just because saying "it" seems wrong. There's a temptation to take a very simplistic view, a reductive argument, at something that is the most complex thing of all.

There being no evidence for God's existence does not mean he's unknowable, it means only that there's no evidence for his existence. Him being 'beyond knowledge' or something similar is merely a theory for which there's no supporting evidence other than an absence of knowledge about his existence.

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 196
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 10:17:19 AM   
DancingClown

Homer summed it up perfectly for me. The notion that there was nothing before the big bang is impossible to grasp, being that 'nothing' or even 'oblivion' are still concepts and you still can't have 'nothing' without some actuality for the 'nothing' to exist in itself. It's a massive contradiction.

Think about it too long and my brain starts weeing.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 8/7/2012 10:18:27 AM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 197
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 10:22:36 AM   
sanchia

Isn't the theory that this Universe is just one of many which have existed in that it is in a permanent state of expansion and compression? The Universe expands from the Big Bang and then at a certain point it contracts back to a single point of highly compressed matter and then expands again in an eternal cycle. (It appears this was the theory put forward by Roger Penrose).

< Message edited by sanchia -- 8/7/2012 10:26:07 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 198
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 10:28:30 AM   
DancingClown

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 199
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 11:06:33 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Isn't the theory that this Universe is just one of many which have existed in that it is in a permanent state of expansion and compression? The Universe expands from the Big Bang and then at a certain point it contracts back to a single point of highly compressed matter and then expands again in an eternal cycle. (It appears this was the theory put forward by Roger Penrose).

Like God's diaphragm? Are we God?

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 200
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 11:59:00 AM   
sanchia

I was going to create a religion at one point.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 201
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 12:11:20 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

As I understand it, the most popular theory is known as the 'heat death' of the universe which involves constant expansion until all of the energy has been used up. Galaxies drift further and further apart until they are alone in the observable universe, i.e. you can't see any others. This would take trillions of years and the universe today is still relatively young in this model.

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 202
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 12:28:41 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Homer summed it up perfectly for me. The notion that there was nothing before the big bang is impossible to grasp, being that 'nothing' or even 'oblivion' are still concepts and you still can't have 'nothing' without some actuality for the 'nothing' to exist in itself. It's a massive contradiction.

Think about it too long and my brain starts weeing.

I'm an athiest but I just find it too hard to comprehend too. I just cannot get it roudn my head that there was nothing before the big bang. I mean there must have been something surely? And I just don't understand how there can be an edge of space. If the universe is expanding then that must mean there's something beyond it? I've heard theories that the universe is never ending and if you went to the edge of it you'd just end up back on the other side or something like that. Does. Not. Compute.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 203
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 12:41:15 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

I've heard theories that the universe is never ending and if you went to the edge of it you'd just end up back on the other side or something like that. Does. Not. Compute.

Was that Einstein's Quantum Loop thingy?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 204
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 12:43:43 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

As I understand it, the most popular theory is known as the 'heat death' of the universe which involves constant expansion until all of the energy has been used up. Galaxies drift further and further apart until they are alone in the observable universe, i.e. you can't see any others. This would take trillions of years and the universe today is still relatively young in this model.

I think that's actually one of the things that the Higgs (possible) discovery may end up shedding some light on. Understanding the properties of mass helps study entropy, or something.

Post #: 205
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 12:44:25 PM   
Rinc

Something like that. No matter what I read on the subject, none of it makes any more sense to me. And I like to think I'm an intelligent guy, but this is something that is beyond my comprehension.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 206
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 1:00:50 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

Something like that. No matter what I read on the subject, none of it makes any more sense to me. And I like to think I'm an intelligent guy, but this is something that is beyond my comprehension.

The key to begin getting your head around it is to appreciate that matter does not exist in space and time, more that space, time, energy and matter are all part of the same thing and are inextricably linked as opposed to separate entities.
The universe is finite but boundless, which is to say it is not infinite but there's no edge to reach.
Imagine travelling the surface of the Earth. Assuming you can cross oceans and mountains, you would travel forever, theoretically as the surface of the Earth is finite but boundless. The key is trying to imagine the same idea with an extra dimension. It can be demonstrated mathematically but can't be drawn.

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 207
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 1:20:23 PM   
Skiba

quote:

quote:

The key to begin getting your head around it is to appreciate that matter does not exist in space and time, more that space, time, energy and matter are all part of the same thing and are inextricably linked as opposed to separate entities.
The universe is finite but boundless, which is to say it is not infinite but there's no edge to reach.
Imagine travelling the surface of the Earth. Assuming you can cross oceans and mountains, you would travel forever, theoretically as the surface of the Earth is finite but boundless. The key is trying to imagine the same idea with an extra dimension. It can be demonstrated mathematically but can't be drawn.

This I like the sound of...still mindblowing but a little easier on the noggin!

Post #: 208
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 1:25:34 PM   
superdan

Though if it is expanding (as it appears to be), presumably there must be something it is expanding into

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 209
RE: Creationism vs Evolution - 8/7/2012 1:40:54 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

Though if it is expanding (as it appears to be), presumably there must be something it is expanding into

No, because there's nothing there. No space to move into, no time to exist in. All of reality is within the universe. Into has no meaning.

This book is a great starting point to understanding stuff like this as it's pretty easy to follow.
Clicky

< Message edited by Lazarus munkey -- 8/7/2012 1:59:44 PM >

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Creationism vs Evolution Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI