Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What's the best Stephen King Book?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 4/4/2012 3:53:25 PM   
st3veebee

Have to say: I really enjoyed the running man. You can read it in a couple of hours.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 151
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/8/2012 12:40:36 AM   
Laurah Flame

The best Stephen King book for me is the Green Mile....... it wins hands down for me i have read salem, and it and all though these two books get the thumbs up for me, but yet are nothing compared to the Green Mile !!!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 152
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/9/2012 4:47:10 PM   
Super Hans

I'm currently working my way through 'Under the Dome' - I'm about 60% through it at the moment. Probably the biggest book I've ever attempted to read, very much enjoying it so far! Considering the length, which has daunted me for ages, it's been engaging and intriguing all the way! Can't wait to see how it all pans out.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 153
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 10/10/2012 10:05:02 PM   
bozo

I recently finished

Awesome novel, King on top form.

(in reply to crimond)
Post #: 154
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/11/2012 3:17:53 PM   
denise123

I think one of Kings most underrated books is Insomnia. When I first read the book I found it a little slow to start off with, but Wow when it got moving it really got moving and I found it a fantastic read.

If you get the right director - this would be an amazing film...... Burton seems the obvious choice as I think he has a dark edge just like King.

I have almost all of Kings books and when I finish one book, make a start on the next and rotate.

Favourites of all time are:

Insomnia
IT
The Shining
Pet Semetary
N - Short story but still incredibly terrifying
1408 - Very short story if you have only seen the film
Under the Dome

I also agree with previous posts - Koontz is very similar, the Odd Thomas series is particularly good. Koontz is even referenced by King in IT as a mean guard at Juniper Hill Mental institute who beats the inmates with rolls of quarters.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 155
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/11/2012 4:48:13 PM   
squeezyrider

OK King fans I need your help.

I'm currently reading The Gunslinger (Dark Tower 1) and I've stalled about two thirds in. it's not a big book but by god it's taken me a long time to read.

So the question is do I persevere with it the whole series that is not just this book?

I've heard it gets better, then amazing however is it going to appeal to me if this has been a slog?

To give you a bit of background I've read lots of Stephen King before and I've read some fantasy (all Pratchett and Gaiman, some Game of Thrones, Lies of Locke Lamora etc) so should I stick with it or should we part ways?

Thanks in advance. 

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

Post #: 156
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/11/2012 5:54:24 PM   
jonson

Persevere. It took me a while to get through the first book, it was quite painful to be honest, but there is a pay-off.
If you like King, they are definately worth continuing with.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to squeezyrider)
Post #: 157
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/11/2012 3:39:52 PM   
denise123

Does anyone have a favorite short story by SK?

His novels are well known and loved and people have their favourites, but I would like to hear people opinions on his short stories, as I have found some of them to be gripping.

Here are some of my favourites:

Fair Extension - Full Dark No Stars
The Gingerbread Girl - Just After Sunset
Autopsy Room 4 - Everything's Eventual
Harvey's Dream - Just After Sunset
The Man in the Black Suit - Skeleton Crew
The Jaunt - Skeleton Crew
N - Just After Sunset
The Raft - Just After Sunset
Gramma - Skeleton Crew
Road Virus Heads North - Everything's Eventual.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 158
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/11/2012 12:29:49 AM   
steffols

I read Cujo last week, which I have read before and once again terrified me. It's the least supernatural of his books but it's also one of the scariest.

I have just this second finished reading The Pet Sematary which I was told was pretty scary but I found that it got under my skin more than scared me, which is just as worse. It was absolutely gripping. Started it on Monday and finished it today, reading almost half of it today alone. At some points I felt like I didn't want to continue but felt like I couldn't stop. I haven't read like that since I was a teenager.

My favourite short stories of King are Suffer The Little Children and his vampire short stories The Night Flyer and Popsy. The End Of The Whole Mess is scary on a completely different scale. Read that as a teenager. My English teacher gave us copies of Nightmares and Dreamscapes as we were studying Popsy (at the same time he gave us The Golden Apples Of The Sun to read, coolest English teacher ever) and I read TEOFTWM and it has stayed with me all these years later.

< Message edited by steffols -- 23/11/2012 12:30:25 AM >

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to denise123)
Post #: 159
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 19/1/2013 7:49:21 AM   
gloriattesch

Salem's lot is one of my favorites

(in reply to dark crystal)
Post #: 160
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 14/2/2013 9:11:23 PM   
OldGrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: squeezyrider

OK King fans I need your help.

I'm currently reading The Gunslinger (Dark Tower 1) and I've stalled about two thirds in. it's not a big book but by god it's taken me a long time to read.

So the question is do I persevere with it the whole series that is not just this book?

I've heard it gets better, then amazing however is it going to appeal to me if this has been a slog?

To give you a bit of background I've read lots of Stephen King before and I've read some fantasy (all Pratchett and Gaiman, some Game of Thrones, Lies of Locke Lamora etc) so should I stick with it or should we part ways?

Thanks in advance. 

I had the same problem, I stuck with it and I have to say, it was . . . .dissapointing. It infuriated me because I hate giving up on books once I have started and a mate of mine told me it would get better. I had to go set fire to his car.
I have read practically all of King's work and this is without doubt his least rewarding. It really doesn't improve much and I gave up on book 3 (don't even remember what the title was). It is sort of a fantasy, which I have also read a bit of, but it just takes a long, long time to get anywhere, it feels as if the author himself stalled and that is something I have never felt when reading King before.
My advice is cut it loose

(in reply to squeezyrider)
Post #: 161
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 14/2/2013 9:58:17 PM   
OldGrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: denise123

His novels are well known and loved and people have their favourites, but I would like to hear people opinions on his short stories, as I have found some of them to be gripping.

N - Just After Sunset
Gramma - Skeleton Crew

I really enjoy King, his novels are among my most favourite reads and and his short stories are just an absolute pleasure, I recall King saying somehwere, something like he felt his short stories were like a kiss in the dark from a stranger, which I love, it's just spot on. There is something thoroughly enjoyable about finishing a good story in one sitting.
I love 99% of his shorts but my favourites are:

The Man In the Black Suit, which is actually from Everythings Eventual
The Mist and The Reach from Skeleton Crew
My Pretty Pony from Nightmares and Dreamscapes
Fair Extension from Full Dark No Stars
Willa and Stationary Bike from Just After Sunset

(in reply to denise123)
Post #: 162
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 5/3/2013 9:11:21 AM   
ebrown

I'm not his biggest fan but I love different seasons.

(in reply to OldGrey)
Post #: 163
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 20/5/2013 5:12:10 PM   
Mr Gittes

Yeah, Stephen King's pretty much my favourite author, so it's hard for me to pick which one I consider his best. He's written so many amazing books. But I suppose it would be a toss-up between Pet Semetary and Misery. The latter would easily be my first choice if it wasn't for its rather weak ending, whereas Pet Semetary has an absolutely perfect coda and is brilliant all the way through.

I recently read 11/22/63 and I have to agree with some posters here in that it's definitely one of my favourite SK books. Such an amazing read, the book was practically surgically attached to my hand for the few days it took me to read it. Intense, thrilling, funny at times, agonisingly suspenseful at others, masterfully written (of course), and incredibly touching - like the protagonist, I'm not much of a crying man but that ending was unbearably emotional.

Since opinions naturally change over time, and I've still to read a fair few of the King's books, this probably won't be the last time I post on this thread.

(in reply to ebrown)
Post #: 164
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 8/6/2013 9:01:32 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: denise123

N - Just After Sunset
Gramma - Skeleton Crew

I've only read Everything's Eventual, Just After Sunset and Stephen King At The Movies (which didn't have a lot, but it did have Shawshank, Hearts In Atlantis, The Mangler and Children Of The Corn, to name a few). I can't decide which collection to get next, though; I'm kinda stuck between Night Shift and Skeleton Crew. What would you guys recommend?

Anyway, it's too hard to pick a favourite, so I'll just list my standouts so far:

The Road Virus Heads North - Scared the utter crap out of me
Autopsy Room 4 - Unbearably intense
1408 - Another one that chilled me to the bone
Everything's Eventual - Just a damn good story
A Very Tight Place - Wonderfully nasty and a great nail-biter
The Gingerbread Girl - Exquisitely suspenseful and terrifying
The Man In The Black Suit - A beautifully told chiller

< Message edited by Mr Gittes -- 8/6/2013 9:04:07 PM >

(in reply to denise123)
Post #: 165
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 9/6/2013 12:16:49 AM   
Mister Coe

I just re-read THE DEAD ZONE for the first time in many a year...

I know a lot of people like the film but the book is so, so much better...

It's a toss-up between this and PET SEMETARY as to which King book is the most heart-breaking.

Say what now?

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 166
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 19/6/2013 12:16:09 PM   
The Hooded Man

I finished Joyland yesterday and it was a complete joy (pardon the pun).

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 167
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 12/7/2013 4:06:24 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

I finished Joyland yesterday and it was a complete joy (pardon the pun).

I've got about 30 pages to go and it's been a great read so far, really enjoying it.

Slightly related (well, it is his son after all ) but I shall be picking up Joe Hill's NOS4R2 after I've finished. I really enjoyed Horns (and looking forward to the film) and thought Heart Shaped Box was a crackingly creepy book, so looking forward to this with relish.
He's not up to his Dad's level yet (who is?) but is not, IMO, clinging onto any coattails. It's scary how much he looks like him though

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 168
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/7/2013 9:41:16 AM   
sharkboy

I'm about half way through NOS4-R2 at the minute and enjoying the ride so far. It's the first genuinely creepy book I've read in a while (come to think of it, I reckon the last one to creep me out as much was also Hill - a couple of the stories in 20th Century Ghosts were pretty disturbing!)

On the King front, was anyone aware of the imminent publication of a sequel to The Shining? I'd heard nothing about this until browsing Amazon at the weekend, when this came up:

From Amazon:

quote:

An epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon. King says he wanted to know what happened to Danny Torrance, the boy at the heart of The Shining, after his terrible experience in the Overlook Hotel. The instantly riveting Doctor Sleep picks up the story of the now middle-aged Dan, working at a hospice in rural New Hampshire, and the very special twelve-year old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals. On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless - mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the 'steam' that children with the 'shining' produce when they are slowly tortured to death. Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father's legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him and a job at a nursing home where his remnant 'shining' power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes 'Doctor Sleep.' Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan's own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra's soul and survival . . .

The prescient cat gave me pause, but as someone who loved The Shining, I'm really looking forward to this one

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 169
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/7/2013 9:45:29 AM   
elab49

Doesn't that sound a wee bit like Insomnia?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 170
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/7/2013 10:07:51 AM   
jonson

Fucking hell Sharky, never saw that one coming.
Will definitely be purchased. (Edit - on sale 24th September)

Also, I'm 200 pages into NOS4R2, really enjoyed it, really creepy, however it took me until it was explained the first time (about 80 pages in) the relevance of the name of the book. It had not occurred to me at all (NOS 4R2 being Nosferatu)
Am I just plain stupid?

< Message edited by jonson -- 22/7/2013 10:09:19 AM >

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 171
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/7/2013 10:14:28 AM   
elab49

Did Dracula AD 1972 et al also cause problems?

How about Angel Heart?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 172
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/7/2013 10:26:45 AM   
jonson

OK, so I'm stupid.
I didn't get the Louis Cypher bit either, no.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 173
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/7/2013 10:29:06 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

OK, so I'm stupid.

We all have the 'duh' moments. Nos4r2 is a bit of a doozy though. If this was anywhere other than Books you just know that'd be followed by pages of age jokes

quote:

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 174
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/7/2013 10:34:10 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

OK, so I'm stupid.

We all have the 'duh' moments. Nos4r2 is a bit of a doozy though. If this was anywhere other than Books you just know that'd be followed by pages of age jokes

I feel quite inadequate now, I thought it was a fair thing to overlook.
Seems like I've had a "duh" moment without realising it

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 175
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/7/2013 8:09:55 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Also, I'm 200 pages into NOS4R2, really enjoyed it, really creepy, however it took me until it was explained the first time (about 80 pages in) the relevance of the name of the book. It had not occurred to me at all (NOS 4R2 being Nosferatu)
Am I just plain stupid?

Well if you are I am too - I was thinking it meant 'no quarter' or something. What a tit.
On a similar note, a few years ago I was convinced a song on the Interpol album Our Love To Admire was called (phonetically speaking) 'Number One In Threesome'. Thank fuck I heard the chorus in which, thankfully, Paul Banks quite clearly sings 'there's no I in threesome' before I made a massive dick of myself by saying it out loud (I just thought I'd tell a load of people on the internet 6 years later instead).
Anyway, Dr Sleep. Heard about this a while back but thought it was about two books away. Quite excited now - I reckon he's been on a bit of a roll ever since Under The Dome.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 22/7/2013 8:10:09 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 176
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/7/2013 10:50:36 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Am I just plain stupid?

Well if you are I am too - I was thinking it meant 'no quarter' or something. What a tit.
On a similar note, a few years ago I was convinced a song on the Interpol album Our Love To Admire was called (phonetically speaking) 'Number One In Threesome'. Thank fuck I heard the chorus in which, thankfully, Paul Banks quite clearly sings 'there's no I in threesome' before I made a massive dick of myself by saying it out loud (I just thought I'd tell a load of people on the internet 6 years later instead).
Anyway, Dr Sleep. Heard about this a while back but thought it was about two books away. Quite excited now - I reckon he's been on a bit of a roll ever since Under The Dome.

Agree with this. He's my favourite writer, but I thought he was starting to lose it, to be honest. I couldn't even finish Cell. Then UTD and 11/22/63 completely blew me away (haven't gotten around to Joyland yet). So needless to say, I'm also very, very excited about Doctor Sleep.

By the way, I just read some of his Bachman books recently. Does anyone else think Roadwork is a little underrated? Personally, I preferred it to The Long Walk, although the latter would make for a much better movie (which I hope Darabont gives us one day). The Running Man beats them both though.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 177
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/7/2013 8:17:39 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

Agree with this. He's my favourite writer, but I thought he was starting to lose it, to be honest. I couldn't even finish Cell. Then UTD and 11/22/63 completely blew me away (haven't gotten around to Joyland yet). So needless to say, I'm also very, very excited about Doctor Sleep.

I enjoyed Cell, mainly as it followed Lisey's Story which for some reason bored me shitless.
UTD was a welcome return, and as I have stated before, 11/22/63 is a masterpiece, his best book for me in 20 years.

quote:

By the way, I just read some of his Bachman books recently. Does anyone else think Roadwork is a little underrated? Personally, I preferred it to The Long Walk, although the latter would make for a much better movie (which I hope Darabont gives us one day). The Running Man beats them both though.

I haven't read Roadwork for years, absolutely years, but can remember enjoying it, and being surprised at the ending (SPOILER if I remember rightly he blows himself up? I think I was quite sad )
I don't think I've read the Long Walk, the only other Bachman books I recall are The Running Man and Thinner (which was creepy)

< Message edited by jonson -- 23/7/2013 10:33:25 AM >

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 178
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/7/2013 9:36:17 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

quote:

I enjoyed Cell, mainly as it followed Lisey's Story which for some reason bored me shitless.
UTD was a welcome return, and as I have stated before, 11/22/63 is a masterpiece, his best book for me in 20 years.

quote:

I haven't read Roadwork for years, absolutely years, but can remember enjoying it, and being surprised at the ending (if I remember rightly he blows himself up? I think I was quite sad )
I don't think I've read the Long Walk, the only other Bachman books I recall are The Running Man and Thinner (which was creepy)

I really enjoyed Cell too, and I have to agree about Lisey's Story - I thought it was one of King's low points. He's definitely hit a winning streak lately with Under The Dome (speaking of which, have you checked out the TV show yet?) and 11/22/63.

Speaking of Bachman, has anyone read The Regulators? It's the Bachmanised version of King's Desperation - same characters, but different story arcs. Desperation was an OK novel - not great, but not too bad - but The Regulators took those characters to a much darker place and was the much better book for it.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 179
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/7/2013 10:22:17 AM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

quote:

quote:

I haven't read Roadwork for years, absolutely years, but can remember enjoying it, and being surprised at the ending (if I remember rightly he blows himself up? I think I was quite sad )

Spoiler much?

The Long Walk is very good, and an amazing accomplishment considering he was only nineteen when he wrote it. However, as a result it's not quite as well-written as his other stuff. There's not as much detail. However, it's a cracking story and I definitely recommend it. Oh, and your feet will be in agony just reading it.

Will have to get around to Thinner at some point (it wasn't in the Bachman collection that I read the others in), but there's other King books I'm more interested in checking out, like Needful Things.

Oh, and hell yes about 11/22/63. Right up there with Pet Semetary and Misery in my top three.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI