Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What's the best Stephen King Book?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 2/2/2011 4:27:15 PM   
horribleives

I dunno but both of which are the main reasons I refuse to watch My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to keithyt1999)
Post #: 121
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 2/2/2011 9:32:52 PM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell
I've had Bag Of Bones kicking around for some time now, so I might take a look at that next. Is there any love for BOB around here?

It's one of his most peculiar books. It's 12 years since I read it but as I recall it was a bit all-over-the-place - an awkward study of grief, midlife-crisis, corruption, history and racism all wrapped up in a supernatural mystery (which isn't particularly scary). Though at the time it was the first book of his I'd enjoyed in a while so for its intrigue and twist-turny story I'd definitely put it in the 'superior potboiler' file.
Mind, he does lay on the Rebecca-isms a tad too much. Subtle it ain't.

Well, I might take a break from King, read something else, and then have a crack at Bag Of Bones. It certainly sounds interesting!

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 122
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 3/2/2011 9:38:35 AM   
keithyt1999

quote:

I dunno but both of which are the main reasons I refuse to watch My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

haha  but that one is subtitled "Fatter"

None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!

Post #: 123
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 5/2/2011 8:01:37 AM   
gunslinger19

Keithy in response to your earlier post.
If you log onto Stephen King.com theres a whole lot of info about the Marvel adaptation of The Stand, a few spoilers though, but they don't really matter if you know the story anyway.
From what I've seen and read so far they are pretty much true to the original story, just stumbled across them myself recently.
Maybe worth you getting hold of a copy if you like The Stand, the story looks quite good graphically represented.

"Ive got something to say...it's better to burn out than fade away..."
"Your over confidence is your weakness".........
"Your faith in your friends is yours"
"Why so serious....?"

(in reply to keithyt1999)
Post #: 124
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 15/2/2011 8:49:42 PM   
Mr Terrific

I don't know the best Stephen King book, my opinion changes regularly. I think one of his best an underrated books is The Dead Zone. Sure it's a bit dated and has a downer of an ending, but I found it well written and quite thought provoking.

I think IT and The Stand have to be in the top five though!

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to gunslinger19)
Post #: 125
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/2/2011 11:48:35 AM   
sharkboy

I agree completely Mr T, The Dead Zone was IMO not only one of his better books, but also one of the better movie adaptations.  Personally, I liked the ending

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 126
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/2/2011 12:20:24 PM   
elab49

Ditto - I'd put it in the top 5 tv/film adaptations from his books.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 127
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/2/2011 1:13:19 PM   
matty_b

The Dead Zone is a superb book and a superb film. Still one of Christopher Walken's finest roles.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 128
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 17/2/2011 3:09:57 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Ditto - I'd put it in the top 5 tv/film adaptations from his books.

Yeah, I'd put it at number two - just behind Stand By Me but ahead of The Mist, The Shawshank Redemption amd Misery.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 129
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 17/2/2011 5:53:34 PM   
Tech_Noir

Looking forward to The Stand graphic novel (once compiled).

Post #: 130
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 11/3/2011 9:16:30 AM   
From_Hell

So that's Bag Of Bones done. It was a good solid read, I liked the supernatural element, but it didn't go so far as to blow my socks off. I hear it shares some similarities with Duma Key which I haven't read yet but now I've read B.O.B I'm less excited about reading Duma Key. I think I'm all Kinged out for now, and if I read the following phrases within the next sixth months I think I might cry:

- "Ayuh"

- "Threw back his head and laughed"

- "Nape of his neck"

On to other books for a bit, but I think my next King book is going to be part one of the Dark Tower series....

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 131
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 14/8/2011 11:41:05 AM   
horribleives

I'm loving the sound of King's new novel 11/22/63 - kind of sounds like a cross between Don DeLillo's Libra and Goodnight Sweetheart.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 132
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 8/9/2011 8:55:51 PM   
TrendMeUp

IT blew me away. It broke my heart and genuinely frightened me and frequently cracked me up. A beautiful book. I also think The Shining gets overlooked because of its popularity, but it's a stunning book.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to dark crystal)
Post #: 133
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 17/9/2011 3:03:19 PM   
DeppBurtonAlliance

Salem's Lot & The Dead Zone, plus the collections lke Night Shift and Nightmares and Dreamscapes aren't to be overlooked.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 134
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 14/11/2011 6:07:29 PM   
jonson

quote:

I'm loving the sound of King's new novel 11/22/63 - kind of sounds like a cross between Don DeLillo's Libra and Goodnight Sweetheart.

I'm 200 pages in and I'm really enjoying it. Slightly different to his previous stuff (so far) but gripping nonetheless.
Without wishing to give too much away, there are some nice references to IT, even going so far as introducing/featuring 2 of the characters from IT, which excited me no end (and I didn't think was in the least bit cheesey - I know it sounds it)
The whole premise of time travel is more sci-fi than King would normally do, but again it conjures up some nice ideas and scenarios which has got me pretty gripped to the book to be honest.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 135
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/11/2011 1:14:13 PM   
sharkboy

I started 11/22/63 yesterday and I'm already about 100 pages in.  So far it seems to be a good addition to the King canon, and I like the first person perspective for a change.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 136
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/11/2011 7:56:51 AM   
jonson

I'm halfway through and loving it Sharky. I'm wanting to read up on Oswald and JFK now, and see what facts King based his story on.

Slightly Off Topic, my colleague at work bought the audio book the same day as me. 30 hours long I think he said it was (he loved it btw - not normally a King fan) I was winderong roughly how long it took me to read.
I'm no slouch but I don't speed read like the missus does, and what with having a lot on my mind I tend to suddenly realise I have read half a dozen pages and took nothing in.
I was hoping to race him, but I lost. I was thinking I can read quicker than someone can speak it, but whereas he sits at work with an earphone in listening, I can hardly sit reading a book
Anyway, not sure what the point of the post was, other than perhaps to enquire as to who actually has listened to audio books? I had Harry Potter in the car when the kids were little, which I must admit were brilliant, but I'd feel lazy doing it with "grown up" books.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 137
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/11/2011 8:55:05 AM   
matty_b

I never have.

It's daft, but it feels like "cheating" somehow.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 138
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/11/2011 9:24:42 AM   
sharkboy

I've listened to quite a few - never as a first choice of medium, but I found them to be great while on long drives when propping a book on the steering wheel would tend to get frowned upon   Listening to Bill Bryson read his short history of nearly everything can really make that daily commute much more tolerable. However, the choice of  narrator can make or break them - Tony Robinson was great at doing Pratchett books, Nigel Planer not so great.

WWLD?

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 139
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/11/2011 11:37:04 AM   
elab49

I've never really listened to audio books but I thought I'd try one since I started listening to more radio - Robinson and Pratchett was the obvious choice. I didn't go for the guards, say, because getting Vimes wrong for me just wouldn't work. Thoroughly enjoyed Going Postal though.

I'm not sure I'd get one for a book I hadn't read though. This really just helped on a car journey. Wouldn't it be too distracting in the car otherwise?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 140
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 27/11/2011 5:33:57 AM   
Spaldron

The only King I've ever read is Salems Lot tbh. Seen all the films but only read one so far, although got 'Full Dark No Stars' as a birthday prez last year and still haven't got round to reading it! My brother has got the full 'Dark Tower' collection so I think I may borrow them of him.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 141
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 8/12/2011 9:07:06 AM   
jonson

No real spoilers but tred with care if you get uppity about those kind of things.

So I finished 11/22/63 last night. Brilliant, utterly brilliant. Some of the critisisms King gets is his inability to finish a story satisfactory. Well this one finished perfect for me.

It kept me guessing right till the end, some of it was predictable, possibly if it were a film you'd be getting the sick bag out, but on the whole the ending made my eyes fill.
I'd invested a lot of time and thought to the character of Jake/George (in truth this book has got me through the worst 6 weeks of my life so I have had a lot of emotion attached to the story - I have lost myself in its ideas and twists and it has been a most welcome distraction) and was with him all the way in his quest, so I've spent many evenings biting my fingernails and wondering exactly why everything had to go down to the last second. Jake had 5 years yet leaves it so late. It was obvious it would be a nail-biter, and I was sure I would get frustrated at King "stringing things out" (excuse the pun if you have read the book) for the sake of squeezing in the extra pages, but it was done so well it never felt wrong.

I normally berate myself for getting excited at the latest King book. I tend to overrate them initially, and I will do for this as well. Considering it was his first "time travel" novel (how many is an author supposed to have?) whether it was down to my personal issues or just down to a good read, but this is the best King book I have read, well, since the last one.
No actually, it has been my most enjoyable King read since IT, and I'm talking over 2 decades now. Now that is a bold statement, so I might ask myself the same question in a couple of months, and get a different answer. However I was very sad to finish it last night. Jake/George has been a good friend, it was sad to see him go.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 142
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 26/1/2012 2:04:25 PM   
InvisibleDuncan

I'm part-way through 11/22/63 so I've taken care to not read jonson's post above. It's limbering up really well, though.

I can easily name my favourite King book - It - but I'd have a harder time putting the others into any sort of order. The Dark Tower series was superb (the ending made my wife cry, which has never happened with a book before) and I'm looking forward to the next one (The Wind Through The Keyhole) that's out in a couple of months. Other than those, I'd probably put The Dark Half, The Dead Zone, Salem's Lot, Under The Dome and The Stand at the top of my list, along with his collaborations with Peter Straub (The Talisman and Black House).

Not much love on here for Rose Madder, I notice.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 143
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 27/1/2012 9:13:07 AM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

No real spoilers but tred with care if you get uppity about those kind of things.

So I finished 11/22/63 last night. Brilliant, utterly brilliant. Some of the critisisms King gets is his inability to finish a story satisfactory. Well this one finished perfect for me.

It kept me guessing right till the end, some of it was predictable, possibly if it were a film you'd be getting the sick bag out, but on the whole the ending made my eyes fill.
I'd invested a lot of time and thought to the character of Jake/George (in truth this book has got me through the worst 6 weeks of my life so I have had a lot of emotion attached to the story - I have lost myself in its ideas and twists and it has been a most welcome distraction) and was with him all the way in his quest, so I've spent many evenings biting my fingernails and wondering exactly why everything had to go down to the last second. Jake had 5 years yet leaves it so late. It was obvious it would be a nail-biter, and I was sure I would get frustrated at King "stringing things out" (excuse the pun if you have read the book) for the sake of squeezing in the extra pages, but it was done so well it never felt wrong.

I normally berate myself for getting excited at the latest King book. I tend to overrate them initially, and I will do for this as well. Considering it was his first "time travel" novel (how many is an author supposed to have?) whether it was down to my personal issues or just down to a good read, but this is the best King book I have read, well, since the last one.
No actually, it has been my most enjoyable King read since IT, and I'm talking over 2 decades now. Now that is a bold statement, so I might ask myself the same question in a couple of months, and get a different answer. However I was very sad to finish it last night. Jake/George has been a good friend, it was sad to see him go.

Time for me to 'fess up. I'm not the biggest King fan. His older stuff was brilliant, Cujo, Carrie etc. I loved The Green Mile and thoroughly enjoyed The Bachman Books. Other than that, well, to be honest, I found him a bit hit and miss. Reading the blurb on 11/22/63 I felt a bit meh about it. Until I read what your post. I figured if something other than a prehistoric gargantuan shark made you addicted to the page, it might be OK.

So I got it for the Kindle, and I agree. So difficult to put down. You really do invest in the characters, I was desperately hoping that he would work out a way of being able to stay in the past to be with Sadie and I felt a lump in my throat at the end.

There were touches of Hearts in Atlantis with men in hats which annoyed me a little, but not enough to put a downer on this one.

Definitely a good one.

That's me that is!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 144
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 27/1/2012 6:01:05 PM   
Woger

Must check this out.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 145
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 30/1/2012 6:39:20 PM   
big dawg

Yeah, 11/22/63 was very good. Up there with the best of his work. I know where you're coming from Jonson, the last couple of pages had the old lump in the throat for me too (soppy gits )...Im about two thirds through Under the Dome and Im feeling it just as good. Ive said before, King, at his best, is very hard to beat.

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 146
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 29/2/2012 12:29:56 PM   
The Hooded Man

I'm on the third book of The Dark Tower series, it's not easy to get into but still enjoying it a lot. I have a plan to read his complete works back to back this year. Ludicrously ambitious!

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 147
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 29/2/2012 12:38:14 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Couldn't agree more. A real return to the style of some of the older books even though completely different subject. Loved how there were references to IT as well (one of my favourites). I kept thinking "well, what if he did this?" to myself and imagining how it would turn out if he made different choices.

I find myself sometimes sat on the sofa with my 2 shelves of SK books staring out at me thinking that I need to revisit some of them again (I'm thinking IT needs a re-read soon)

I just remember being stood in front of the great man a good few years ago thinking "you scare the crap out of me"

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 148
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 29/2/2012 5:18:37 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Couldn't agree more. A real return to the style of some of the older books even though completely different subject. Loved how there were references to IT as well (one of my favourites). I kept thinking "well, what if he did this?" to myself and imagining how it would turn out if he made different choices.

YES!!! I was thinking the same, even to the point about whether I'd go back, as it were, and change other things. The references to the IT murders also got me very excited, especially the Richie/Bev dancing sequence, which was really sweet. It could have been distracting and cheesey, but it added to the whole feel of the story as well. Loved it.

quote:

I just remember being stood in front of the great man a good few years ago thinking "you scare the crap out of me"

Wow! That is so cool you got to stand in front of him
I would love to meet him, just even for a 10 minute chat to see how his mind works. I think he'd scare me as well.
How did you end up doing that?

Slightly Off Topic, I love SK's house:-

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 149
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 4/4/2012 3:48:46 PM   
horribleives

Just finished 11/22/63 after what seems like forever (though I reckon a christmas present that lasts 3 months is pretty good value, really) and I'd agree with everyone else - it's without doubt one of his best. As with anything time-travel-related there's always the potential for inconsistencies but on the whole he pulled it off wonderfully and adhered to the story's internal logic far more believably than is often the case (I'm looking at you, Lost series 5) with few glaring plot-holes.
Also I felt genuinely gutted for Jake at the end - the final couple of pages had me bubbling like a bairn. And I'd agree with Jonson - King's been struggling to write satisfactory endings for years but this one was virtually flawless (interestingly, he says in his afterword that his son Joe Hill suggested it). I'm quite sad to be leaving that world to be honest, though for me his last three (this one plus Full Dark, No Stars and Under The Dome) have all been fantastic so if he continues this rich form with his next novel I'll be more than happy.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 4/4/2012 3:49:28 PM >

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI