Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What's the best Stephen King Book?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/8/2010 1:53:56 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: crimond

I was disappointed by Under the Dome.

Possible Spoilers:
I loved the concept and the start was great, but I was expecting a epic spanning years.  Looking at the effect living under the dome had on a community, ie. as the food supplies ran out the farmers became the powerful ones etc, dwindling interest from the outside as the years went past, opposing factions etc.  I was disappointed it was all over so quickly, the story failed the concept in my opinion. 

I see what you are saying, that could have been an interesting concept. A lot happened in the first 3 days, pretty much anarchy, and a complete social hierarchy was created, but I think King explored what would happen inside the dome, rather than what could happen. The fact the air would get polluted was an avenue he explored, as he does with most of his books, in a factually scientific way. The probability of people still being able to live under the dome for months and years is possibly not feasible, I don't know, he certainly convinced me
I liked his idea that just a few days, even hours, is likely to change people's way of thinking and behaving. It made the whole prospect of it scarier in my opinion, for example how someone can turn into a rapist and necrophile within days of being sealed off, or even be willing to commit suicide that early on.
Apart from Cell, which I enjoyed, I thought it was his best book for a long time

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to crimond)
Post #: 91
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/8/2010 5:26:00 PM   
The REAL Bozz

For me I'd say Cell, Carrie and The Stand are my faves of his so far. Under The Dome was decent but the outcome of the event was all a bit meh. But that's just because I'd convinved myself somthing would be trapped inside the dome with the town. Like a biological weapon/monster, lol, obviously that wasn't the case so I was a bit down on that. I'd say Duma Key was excellent aswell.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 92
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/8/2010 6:41:38 PM   
FutureKazekage

Salem's Lot

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 93
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/8/2010 6:50:17 PM   
big dawg

anyone read The Talisman?

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to FutureKazekage)
Post #: 94
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 17/8/2010 1:42:20 AM   
hellsangel66

yes, I liked it....a good fantasy novel with a nice line in horror....you should also try getting Black House which is the 'sequel'

I am extraordinary. I am your ordinary everyday psycho sane supergoddess

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 95
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 24/8/2010 11:10:26 PM   
chilipenguin

Just finished Duma Key and it's pretty good. Reminds me of The Shining (which is a good thing) and has some pretty creepy moments. A solid 4/5 effort.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to hellsangel66)
Post #: 96
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 17/1/2011 9:07:59 PM   
From_Hell

Has anyone read From A Buick 8? Is it worth a punt?

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 97
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 17/1/2011 9:29:15 PM   
matty_b

It's OK. It's more of a shaggy dog story than his other novels (all told via flashback with an old man telling a tale to a younger guy...) and depends on how much you like his novels that veer into the more fantastical. It's not my favourite of his, mainly because that's not my favourite approach of his that he often takes.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 98
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 18/1/2011 8:21:33 AM   
From_Hell

Cheers. It sounds intriguing so I'll take a look. At about 400 pages it's pretty short for a Stephen King book, so even if it's not very good it won't hang around for too long!

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 99
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 18/1/2011 8:40:55 AM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

I liked Dreamcatcher. No, really.

Anyone read Cell?

I really enjoyed it too! It reminded me of Tommyknockers a bit....

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 100
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 18/1/2011 9:06:59 AM   
sharkboy

Has anyone else tried the work of King's son Joe Hill ( I know jonson has!).  If you like your horror with a nice edge to it then let me assure you the rotten apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.

He's got two novels (Heart-Shaped Box and Horns) and a collection of short stories (20th Century Ghosts) to his name so far, and they're all worth reading.  Horns is a magnificent tale of a man who wakes up with no memory of the night before, but with a fresh pair of horns protruding from his forehead that have some strange effects on the locals.  Heart-Shaped Box tells of a bored rockstar who wins an online auction for the suit of a dead man that comes with the man's vindictive spirit included.  Both come highly recommended if you like your horror with an East-coast twang

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 101
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 18/1/2011 11:23:52 AM   
horribleives

Thought Heart-Shaped Box was great. Haven't read Horms yet, in fact, I didn't even know what it was about but that description's got me intrigued.
Anyone read King's new collection of novellas Full Dark, No Stars? Brilliant stuff, some of the most flesh-crawling, disturbing stories he's written in years - he's certainly not mellowing with age. The first one (1922) in particular is almost unbearably grim.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 102
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 25/1/2011 8:52:53 AM   
gunslinger19

Have to admit I'm a 100% King fan, read Duma Key, bit wishy washy but a good enough read, read Full Dark No Stars, which besides anything else has to be an excellent title, decent enough, read Under The Dome and it was like reading some of his early stuff, good book, not impressed with The Cell though unfortunately, bit of a tired old subject now getting killed by mobiles/radio waves etc.
Of course read most of his old stuff, The Stand, It, Salem's Lot, Carrie, but for me nothing ever written by anybody beats the Dark Tower series, if you like King read the Dark Tower, not even literary classics like Lord Of The Rings beats it for me, admittedly I'm biased maybe but anyone who reads it and doesn't get hooked has something wrong with their imagination chip.

"Ive got something to say...it's better to burn out than fade away..."
"Your over confidence is your weakness".........
"Your faith in your friends is yours"
"Why so serious....?"

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 103
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 25/1/2011 9:34:32 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunslinger19

but for me nothing ever written by anybody beats the Dark Tower series, if you like King read the Dark Tower, not even literary classics like Lord Of The Rings beats it for me, admittedly I'm biased maybe but anyone who reads it and doesn't get hooked has something wrong with their imagination chip.

That explains the user name at least...

Dark Tower was a long journey for me.  I got the first book from the old Mystery & Thriller bookclub as their book of the month, read it and pretty much dismissed it outright.  It was written at various stages of the King's career and boy did it show - disjointed, clumsy ideas with no narrative flow.  All it had going for it was an interesting central character in Roland.  Anyway, a short while later the second book arrived after I forgot to cancel the book of the month choice.  Rather reluctantly I started reading it and it was like a light switching on - now this was more like it!  But then the time between books began to stretch out longer and longer and after book 4 I gave up on the tale.

Then some years ago I found a complete collection in a charity shop for a couple of quid and devoured them one after the other.  And I have to agree; as a complete work, The Dark Tower is King's shining achievement.  Packed with more ideas than most writers have in a lifetime, it is at least comparable with Tolkien's opus.  It's not perfect by any means (King's own appearance, while an interesting narrative trick, did push it a bit), but by god it's close.  And what a brilliant ending - it's probably King's most moving work.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to gunslinger19)
Post #: 104
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 25/1/2011 9:49:55 AM   
gunslinger19

Thats excellently put Sharkboy, King's shinning achievement.
And you've found me out with the user name mate, sorry, my little homage to the series.
I first began reading DT in about 1991, finished in 2006, read The Drawing of the Three first because I didn't realise it was a series, then read them in order.
I agree completely about SK writing himself into Song Of Suzannah, had to put book down and scratch my head wondering if he'd finally lost the plot (if you'll pardon the pun), but over all and upon finishing I was left in complete awe as how someone could have the imagination to write something so complex and deep, mixing all sorts of genres and still coming up with something original, it genuinely left me sad when I'd finished, like I was leaving old friends behind.
Have you had a chance to read a copy of the newer Gunslinger SK put out a few years ago?
A little less messy and more in line with the rest of the series.
Marvels new line in graphic novels haven't been bad either.
Bring on the movies thats what I say, if they can do the books justice.

"Why so serious....?"

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 105
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 25/1/2011 12:32:49 PM   
horribleives

I've read everything by King except The Dark Tower series. Woops.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 106
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 25/1/2011 3:53:30 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Anyone read King's new collection of novellas Full Dark, No Stars? Brilliant stuff, some of the most flesh-crawling, disturbing stories he's written in years - he's certainly not mellowing with age. The first one (1922) in particular is almost unbearably grim.

Yes, I really enjoyed it. 1922 was indeed pretty grim (the rats!) as was the story of the guy who wished his disease away. Back to his old spine tingling stories.

Sharky - I didn't know Joe Hill had another book. I enjoyed Heart Shaped Box and the short stories, I'l have to check that out.

Sadly I started the Dark Tower series very late, and have mashed throught he first 4, but not grabbed the next ones yet (I bought them all though - I just like to put a bit of space between series of novels

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 107
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 25/1/2011 4:12:01 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Stephen King is basically the reason I got into reading as much as I do. He had so many books out I wouldn't even have to have anything in mind, I'd just go to the bookshop, read the blurbs and pick one out. Even though I'm more likely to have my nose in a Penguin modern classic or something like that these days I really enjoyed his early, solidly genre novels when I was still in short pants. I have good memories of reading Salem's Lot, The Tommyknockers and Pet Sematary in particular.  

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 108
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 27/1/2011 1:51:41 PM   
horribleives

Javier Bardem and Christian Bale are apparently eyeing up Ron Howard's Dark Tower adaptation.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 109
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 27/1/2011 3:15:37 PM   
keithyt1999

I first read a Stephen King novel in my mid to late teens. IT was the first and is probably still my fave. I'd never read anything that captured that rose-tinted memory and the feelings of childhood as well as him.

I caught up with a few of his older novels and bought almost everything he wrote up to Needful Things (but it was The TommyKnockers and The Dark Half that started to turn me off as overlong and just did not have the same feeling as some of his better works). Which are, IMHO as follows:

IT
Misery
The Stand
Cujo
Pet Semetary
The Bachman Books (especially The Long Walk and The Running Man)
Different Seasons
Skeleton Crew and Night Shift collections
The Cycle Of The Werewolf
The Dark Tower I and II
On Writing

Have only read Cell from his recent output which I did enjoy and thought was very similar to the movie version of I Am Legend.

None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!

Post #: 110
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 27/1/2011 3:29:38 PM   
horribleives

I thought he went a bit hit and miss during the '90s and '00s but of his recent (ish) output I'd recommend Lisey's Story, Under The Dome and his latest Full Dark, No Stars. The latter two especially are very old school King and very nasty.  

(in reply to keithyt1999)
Post #: 111
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 27/1/2011 3:31:50 PM   
elab49

I haven't read the last one yet but the only reason I got it was the reviews suggested it was back to the earlier decent King stuff, not the copy/paste rework of the same story over and over again. WHich, I'm afraid, is exactly what I think Under the Dome is.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 112
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 27/1/2011 4:50:00 PM   
keithyt1999

I got rid of all my SK paperbacks during some book cull or other (I think even Cycle Of The Werewolf went which I remember putting in a special order for when I was younger!). I will probably re-purchase on Kindle store or similar once I get an e-reader but ones that I will definitely miss are my 2 Dark Tower paperbacks (parts I and II).

I had the large format paperbacks with the lovely full colour artwork pages (oil paintings?) interspersed every few chapters. I think the first one was a pale turquoise colour and the second a pale peach. I always meant to get part 3 in the same format but never got around to it and then they changed the format in subsequent re-isuues. This was a factor in me being blase about just giving them to a charity shop. I figured I'd never be able to source the complete set in the consistent format I wanted so just gave up.

Like my Star Wars figure and vehicle collection (sold complete on ebay), I kind of miss these books now...

None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 113
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 27/1/2011 7:30:14 PM   
elab49

I've got the original Dark Tower ones as well, but also later versions since he rewrote bits and I wasn't sure what would work into the later story when he finally got back to them again. The originals are a wee bit tattered now though. I tend to hang on to my books but, like you, I'm not a major fan of a lot of the recent stuff so I have culled some of that.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to keithyt1999)
Post #: 114
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 28/1/2011 8:05:57 AM   
gunslinger19

Got to disagree for once Horribleives about Lisey's Story, got half way through and gave up on it, thinking of going back though  but boy did I find it tedious.
Various names have been bandied around in regards to who will finally play Roland in the films of the Dark Tower but I don't see what would be wrong with Mr Eastwood himself, if of course he'd agree to it and a bit of cgi.
Whoever does is going to have to be on his A game to do the character justice.

< Message edited by gunslinger19 -- 28/1/2011 8:07:50 AM >

"Why so serious....?"

Post #: 115
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 2/2/2011 8:26:57 AM   
From_Hell

So I finished From A Buick 8 and it wasn't bad.... by no means King's best book, but it was an entertaining read and the curiosity generated around the mysterious car kept me reading.

I've had Bag Of Bones kicking around for some time now, so I might take a look at that next. Is there any love for BOB around here?

"What are you gonna do?"

Post #: 116
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 2/2/2011 12:35:50 PM   
matty_b

I really, really, really struggled to get through that one.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 117
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 2/2/2011 12:53:49 PM   
keithyt1999

Well after reading this thread and the Empire news (or non-news?) about a possible big screen adaptation of The Stand, I was pleasantly surprised to see that there's a Marvel comics adaptation too. Can anyone tell me more about it? Is it any good, faithful to to the novel, is it complete or ongoing? Has it been released as a single graphic novel or is it likely to be?

< Message edited by keithyt1999 -- 2/2/2011 12:54:30 PM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 118
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 2/2/2011 4:09:50 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell
I've had Bag Of Bones kicking around for some time now, so I might take a look at that next. Is there any love for BOB around here?

It's one of his most peculiar books. It's 12 years since I read it but as I recall it was a bit all-over-the-place - an awkward study of grief, midlife-crisis, corruption, history and racism all wrapped up in a supernatural mystery (which isn't particularly scary). Though at the time it was the first book of his I'd enjoyed in a while so for its intrigue and twist-turny story I'd definitely put it in the 'superior potboiler' file.
Mind, he does lay on the Rebecca-isms a tad too much. Subtle it ain't.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 119
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 2/2/2011 4:16:05 PM   
keithyt1999

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but Drag Me To Hell is surely a nod to Stephen King (Richard Bachman's) "Thinner" wouldn't you say?

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI