Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What's the best Stephen King Book?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/8/2009 11:47:15 AM   
elab49

As I think most of his books about writers can be pretty poor, I'd probably echo the first part of Techs suggestion - some of the short stories are superb. Maybe try the Bachman Books? (Originally released under a pseudonym).

If you want to go for a novel, I'd ditto It, length or not. So much in it is repeated in other stories you may as well go what it pretty much the font and a damn good book first.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 61
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/8/2009 11:50:36 AM   
darko18

The Stand, no doubt. But if you want something shorter go for Pet Sematary. Class King. His short story collection Night Shift has some real gems in it, too.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 62
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/8/2009 12:48:56 AM   
separkin

My first was Night Shift, which as I've already mentioned is a great short story anthology and a good way of getting used to King's style, but to start off on full novels, I'd always go with either Carrie or Salem's Lot. They have less of the
(bracketed thoughts)
in the middle of the narrative
(which takes some getting used to)
which is used more and more in things like The Shining and Misery. Dolores Claiborne isn't really a horror novel, so if you wanted to start off lightly you could maybe try that.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
-Albert Einstein

(in reply to Strange Zero)
Post #: 63
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 17/11/2009 5:02:00 PM   
jonson

Just had delivery of Under The Dome, King's new book. Sounds good, a lot of characters and a pretty lengthy read by the sounds of it.
A review may appear in about 3 months

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to separkin)
Post #: 64
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/11/2009 12:27:05 AM   
bozo

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 65
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 25/11/2009 10:32:09 AM   
UTB

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/nov/25/stephenking oh dear...

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 66
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 26/11/2009 10:31:25 AM   
grucl

I'm halfway through Under the Dome and it already beats Kings entire output of the last 5 years! This is classic SK like back in the days!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 67
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 27/11/2009 9:48:45 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/nov/25/stephenking oh dear...

Even if he does write it, I doubt it will be The Shining 2, just a book about that character. Black House was not exaclty The Talisman 2, was it?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 68
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 28/11/2009 1:51:43 AM   
hellsangel66

In my eyes it has to be The Stand....although have started reading Under the Dome and it's looking pretty good.  Black House was a great novel and it will be interesting to see what he does with the continuing story of Danny Torrance....

I am extraordinary. I am your ordinary everyday psycho sane supergoddess

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 69
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 29/11/2009 11:41:00 PM   
Nimrods Son

Night Shift's a classic and it has some of my favourite King stories (Jerusalem's Lot and Children Of The Corn are King at his best). That was the first King I ever read. After that Pet Sematary is probably the scariest King I've ever read. *SPOILER*
The zombie kid is fucked up!

To be honest my favourite King is probably his more grounded stuff. Different Seasons is incredible and Apt Pupil remains one of my favourites to this day! I'm currently reading Hearts In Atlantis and I'm digging the Dark Tower references. Maybe I'm on my own but I really like King's "shared universe". It definitely feeds into my love of the shared Marvel/DC universes in comics.

It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.
-Jacob (Lost)

(in reply to dark crystal)
Post #: 70
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 26/4/2010 11:45:11 AM   
jordanc123

i agree with squidward i have read most of stephen kings books and it is the best one the stand is also good but i found it very hard to get through.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 71
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 26/4/2010 4:13:06 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

IT should have been his best but *spoliers*

the underage gang-bang and the spider, detract from it. As does IT becoming a werewolf, that's just not scary.

I also liked the Girl who loved Tom Gordon, which was a great story but wasn't scary enough.

So I think I'd go for Pet Cemetary.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to jordanc123)
Post #: 72
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 26/4/2010 4:45:50 PM   
Karl Crutchley

The Dark Tower if you can read them all one after the other
If you can do that you really get drawn in to the world and emotionally attached to the characters. Well i did anyway. One of the few books to make me sad. Those who've read them will know the bit I mean.

Of his standalones, my favourite is The Dark Half.

< Message edited by Karl Crutchley -- 26/4/2010 4:46:23 PM >

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 73
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 30/4/2010 8:14:51 PM   
jordanc123

i have attempted to read the stand 3 times now and have never managed to get through it now im at the stage where im really bored of the first 500 pages. can anyone tell me if this book is worth picking up again now or whether i should wait sum time before i attempt to read it again thanks.

(in reply to Karl Crutchley)
Post #: 74
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/5/2010 12:56:02 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

I'm halfway through Under the Dome and it already beats Kings entire output of the last 5 years! This is classic SK like back in the days!

Well, that part of the novel WAS written back in the days. King couldn't finish it for years and years and now he did and published it.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 75
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/5/2010 12:56:41 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jordanc123

i have attempted to read the stand 3 times now and have never managed to get through it now im at the stage where im really bored of the first 500 pages. can anyone tell me if this book is worth picking up again now or whether i should wait sum time before i attempt to read it again thanks.

The Stand is monumental. Persevere.

(in reply to jordanc123)
Post #: 76
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 24/6/2010 4:31:40 PM   
Edge

The Shining so far has been my fav - just wading through his 4th book in the dark tower series now - I understand why King didn't like Kubrick's version of the film as you don't get a feeling for the characters - the book makes you feel for the characters and understand the whole isolation situation and the difficulties of the family. Great read!!

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 77
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 25/6/2010 10:23:43 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jordanc123

The Stand is monumental. Persevere.

Amen to that! The Stand is the only time so far where I punched the air while reading a book.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 78
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 6/7/2010 7:24:08 PM   
big dawg

I could have swore I looked for this thread last night.......

anyway from my previous post

Righty-o...I've read Salems Lot, and The Cell, which I quite liked and I've read The Tommyknockers, which was pretty shit. I do fancy reading some more and just ordered The Stand from Amazon. Just wondering if there were any other recommendations...

I quite fancy reading It at some point, and I tried one book from the Dark Tower series but it was book three or something and I never realised before I started so I couldnt quite follow it

so what else is worth going for cos he's got plenty to choose from?

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 79
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 6/7/2010 7:37:23 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

I could have swore I looked for this thread last night.......

anyway from my previous post

Righty-o...I've read Salems Lot, and The Cell, which I quite liked and I've read The Tommyknockers, which was pretty shit. I do fancy reading some more and just ordered The Stand from Amazon. Just wondering if there were any other recommendations...

I quite fancy reading It at some point, and I tried one book from the Dark Tower series but it was book three or something and I never realised before I started so I couldnt quite follow it

so what else is worth going for cos he's got plenty to choose from?

Cujo is ok, a bit padded. The Stand is a great read ( i read an extended version) but it's a beast of a book. It is another beast but worth reading.
I started The Dark Tower series; book 1 was good in bits, book 2 is a very different book and very good once it gets going, I started book 3 but couldn't get into it.
I'd recommend some short stories like Different Seasons and Skeleton Crew, his recent one Before Sunset got good reviews. For something more comic like I recommedn Cycle of the Werewolf.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 80
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 6/7/2010 8:00:36 PM   
big dawg

Its the extended/updated version of The Stand I've ordered. apparently it moves the action from the 80's to the 90's amongst other things. I vaguely remeber the TV series but not enough to ruin the reading of the book. Same goes for It, I've not seen it for years but I remember someone telling me the book was far better. I've never fancied Cujo for some reason....same as i've never fancied Christine or Carrie (though I liked the film of the latter)

What are his most recent books like? Like I've said, Cell was good in a cheesy sort of way. I've picked up Lisey's Story and The Duma Key in the library a couple of times but always put them back. Has anyone read Under The Dome?

like most folks I've found his books, or his characters at least, quite repeptitive,

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 81
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 7/7/2010 8:13:08 PM   
Woger

"It" is fairly different from the tv series. I haven't read any of his recent stuff. Another one I liked was Pet Semetary, like alot of his stuff it takes time to get going and is a bit padded but it can be creepy and morbid.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 82
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 8/7/2010 5:59:45 PM   
big dawg

I've a feeling that i've seen most of the film versions, like Pet Semetary and Misery and once Ive seen the film I normally cant be arsed reading the book (unless its a classic and/or highly recommended), terrible I know. There is just something about the books I've read of his that I've liked, without them being anywhere near the best books i've read.

You're totally right about how long they take to get going though. Looking at the doorstop that is The Stand, this could be a long slog I feel

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 83
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 9/7/2010 3:49:03 AM   
Rebel scum

I don't think anyone's mentioned Everything's Eventual, which was a pretty decent short story collection, particulary the title story and 1408. That aside, Salem's Lot is still my favourite, along with Dark Tower 2-5, The Shining, Different Seasons, Pet Sematary and The Tommyknockers.

Also, if you're an aspiring writer, On Writing is genuinely useful, as well as being a decent read for those who aren't.

I echo whoever recommended Dean Koontz to King fans, the Odd Thomas books are some of his best work if you want to check him out.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 84
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 30/7/2010 1:36:08 AM   
chilipenguin

I'm rereading The Stand again just now and I still find it a fantastic read. I've got the extended edition and I can see why the publishers asked him to cut so much out of it. There is a lot of padding which, while adding more depth to the story, in a book as overdeveloped as this, is fairly unnecessary. That said, I'm sure if I read the original version I'd miss a lot of the exposition that I know from the extended edition.

Oh and I reread Cell again recently. While it's a fairly by-the-numbers kind of a thriller, it's something I'd love to see made into a film.What ever happened to Eli Roth's adaptation that was being touted a few years ago.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 85
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 9/8/2010 4:35:35 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Just had delivery of Under The Dome, King's new book. Sounds good, a lot of characters and a pretty lengthy read by the sounds of it.

OK, how about 9 months
I put it away for a rainy day and just battered it in 3 days on holiday, and.......

quote:

...I agree, possibly his best book for 10 years IMO. I loved it, I couldn't put it down at first, the story was great, the characters fantastic, his writing is back to his best.
In my Top 3 Stephen King books.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 86
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/8/2010 12:53:58 AM   
hellsangel66

If you want to start with the Bachman Books, you have to read Rage.  Got it from a library when I was a teen and bloody loved it!!!!!!

Started reading King when I was 12 (Carrie) and got hooked.  If you have to start it may a well be at the beginning.  But my fave King books are:

The Stand
It
The Shining
Carrie
Christine
Cujo (do not see the film....not very good)
Pet Sematary  

I am extraordinary. I am your ordinary everyday psycho sane supergoddess

(in reply to dark crystal)
Post #: 87
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/8/2010 12:21:56 PM   
crimond

quote:

quote:

OK, how about 9 months
I put it away for a rainy day and just battered it in 3 days on holiday, and.......

quote:

...I agree, possibly his best book for 10 years IMO. I loved it, I couldn't put it down at first, the story was great, the characters fantastic, his writing is back to his best.
In my Top 3 Stephen King books.

I was disappointed by Under the Dome.

Possible Spoilers:
I loved the concept and the start was great, but I was expecting a epic spanning years.  Looking at the effect living under the dome had on a community, ie. as the food supplies ran out the farmers became the powerful ones etc, dwindling interest from the outside as the years went past, opposing factions etc.  I was disappointed it was all over so quickly, the story failed the concept in my opinion. 

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 88
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/8/2010 12:57:41 PM   
borstal

I finished Needfull Things last night. Like a lot of his work it seemed to involve a lot of build up and a weak ending. I just picked up The Shining for 40p in a charity shop so it goes to show that I think he writes books worth reading.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to crimond)
Post #: 89
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/8/2010 1:28:08 PM   
crimond

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

I finished Needfull Things last night. Like a lot of his work it seemed to involve a lot of build up and a weak ending. I just picked up The Shining for 40p in a charity shop so it goes to show that I think he writes books worth reading.

It's years ago since I read needful things but I remember the ending being pathetically bad.  Its a problem with many of his books.  Even though I've read The Stand 3 times and it dosn't bother me as much now, the ending is still pants.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI