Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What's the best Stephen King Book?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 10/12/2008 9:23:38 AM   
losthighway

I would recommend The Green Mile (his best book IMO) as it is the only book to have ever made me cry! Plus, you have to read it if only to get over the bastardised ending of the film...the book's ending is A LOT better.

If not up that one, then Misery, Dolores Claiborne or The Dark Half.

(And what is Cell like - I bought it ages ago from a second hand book shop but have never read it. Any good?)

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to dark crystal)
Post #: 31
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 26/3/2009 4:36:30 PM   
blackduck

I'll be predictable and go with the Stand (but it reallt suffers from his inability to write satasfactory endings.) Really don't get the dark tower, read the first one after a friend raved about it, maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind, but really didn't get it....

I am but an egg.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 32
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 26/3/2009 6:11:29 PM   
Woger

I much preferred Salems Lot over The Stand. I was reading It and had about 50 pages to go and i left the bloody thing on the train. FAIL.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 33
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 28/3/2009 11:04:04 PM   
Mike TV

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

"It" is in my top 5 books ever, and is my favourite Stephen King book. Read it.

I still need to read The Stand.

IT is awesome, definately my favourite of all SKs work to date. In the final thoes of Needful things at the moment & really enjoying it. Honorable mentions however go to Wizard & Glass, The Talisman & Eyes of the Dragon.
At the risk of upsetting a few people I found the Stand to be a bit over blown I just couldn't get into it. Maybe just me. Oh and Christine was just terrible, sorry, but a killer CAR?. Give me a break.

The best of the Recent stuff is probably Duma Key and the short story "N" from the sunset collection. N really astounded me as a post lovecraft piece.

118...247...give us a call it's directory heaven...

Poke it.

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 34
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 29/3/2009 12:21:03 AM   
The Hooded Man

did not like the stand far too long like a lot of king salems lot is great mind you

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

Post #: 35
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 1/5/2009 2:53:14 PM   
Woger

Thinking os starting The Dark Tower series. I liked It, The Stand (a bit padded but still a good story), Salems Lot and Pet Semetary but wasn't too mad about Cujo. Do you recommend the series?

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 36
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 1/5/2009 4:42:36 PM   
kaner316

the Gunslinger is the ideal start to the series, in that it's quite short, so if you find it's not your cup of tea, you won't feel like you've wasted your time.

that said, i love them and have re-read the whole series twice since the last one came out, so I would heartily recommend them.

Bartlet: What do we do with him?
Sam: Make him the Ambassador to Paraguay.
Bartlet: What do we do with the Ambassador to Paraguay?
Sam: Make him Ambassador to Bulgaria.
Bartlet: I like this. Because, if everybody keeps moving up one, I can go home

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 37
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 1/5/2009 5:22:33 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaner316

the Gunslinger is the ideal start to the series, in that it's quite short, so if you find it's not your cup of tea, you won't feel like you've wasted your time.

that said, i love them and have re-read the whole series twice since the last one came out, so I would heartily recommend them.

Sounds good, thanks.

- - -

(in reply to kaner316)
Post #: 38
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 1/5/2009 10:52:27 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

I'll be predictable and go with the Stand (but it reallt suffers from his inability to write satasfactory endings.) Really don't get the dark tower, read the first one after a friend raved about it, maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind, but really didn't get it....

I never got the hate for ending of The Stand, how else would it end?

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 39
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 2/5/2009 7:33:23 PM   
steffols

Ive not read many of his books.  Im not the biggest fan of his marathon books, I tend to get weighed down and tired of them.  My absolute favourite is Cujo.  Its creates an atmosphere that I havent really experienced in any other book.  It scared the shit out of me.  I really must read it again.

Carrie is brilliant as well. I read that in a day.  Its very concise and well written.  He doesnt need a lot of space to let you know whats going on in Carries head.  The ending is the best part.  Must read that again as well.

Ive always been more of a fan of his short stories.  Especially the collection 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes'.  Some stand out stories in that book

Suffer The Little Children
The Night Flier
Popsy
The End of The Whole Mess - this I thought was a very different tale from The King.  It really struck my emotions more than any other story by him.
You Know They Got A Hell of A Band
Sorry, Right Number

Those are my personal favourites.  I like Different Seasons as well but I thought that maybe the stories could have been better with a bit more fleshing out.  The Breathing Method is excellent.  One of those stories you read late at night and dont expect much from.  That story out of the four is the one that stuck with me the most.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 40
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 5/5/2009 1:41:59 PM   
Super Hans

I've read and enjoyed the following:

Carrie
Misery
The Green Mile
Different Seasons

Attempted but failed to get into:

The Shining
The Dark Tower - The Gunslinger

I've literally just started Duma Key, which my other half got me for my birthday in January, hopefully should be interesting.  I've had It sat on my shelf for years but never started - given that I'm not a particularly fast reader the sheer size of it has daunted me a bit!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 41
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 11/6/2009 8:03:10 PM   
wellygirl

Sean Bean Pictures, Images and Photos" border=0 align="absmiddle" width="100" height="100" />

The Green Mile is my favourite without a doubt. I also like Dolores Claibourne. Doesn't really count, but I really enjoyed the book he wrote about writing for wannabe writers after his accident.

Post #: 42
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 11/6/2009 8:08:53 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

i aint read a whole lot, i got bored of him pretty quickly, and tbh he's rubbish at endings...
only one i was really happy with was Salem's Lot so try that.

Very true. I really enjoyed The Stand because it had an extended epilogue that went some way to erasing the memory of the end of the 'proper' story.

**SPOILER**

Hand of God indeed!!

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 43
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 12/6/2009 6:53:46 PM   
MathewRed

'The Green Mile' was rather excellent. I also rather enjoyed 'The Dead Zone', one of his lesser known works.

< Message edited by MathewRed -- 12/6/2009 6:54:10 PM >

We're as similar as two dissimilar things in a pod

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 44
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 14/6/2009 10:38:49 PM   
damo1104

Loved Green Mile too.. I did however like the "Bachman" stories that he wrote.. Running Man was far better as a book than Arnies show piece..Thinner was well creepy letting your mind do all the work which is another reason why I really lik The Dark Half as well.. Do I really have to make up me mind for 1 fave???

I am a loner
alone
in a crowded head
and crowded in a lonely world...

(words of Salena Godden)

(in reply to MathewRed)
Post #: 45
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/6/2009 2:06:19 PM   
Edge

At the moment my favourite it "The Shining" - I am currently reading his Dark Tower series and throwing Salems Lot into the mix also...

(in reply to damo1104)
Post #: 46
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/6/2009 5:35:41 PM   
MB2

I very recently finished The Stand, what a marvellous piece of work it is, even if it does prove that King adheres to that pop-culture cliche of the loyal, cute dog surviving when everyone around it dies.

Roxy: That's who we should kill next.
Frank: A fictitious character?
Roxy: No. Diablo Cody. Fuck her for writing that movie, she's the only stripper who suffers from too much self esteem.

(in reply to Edge)
Post #: 47
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 21/6/2009 6:30:30 PM   
MustangErin

My 2 favorites have to be The Shining and IT. I stopped reading The Shining at night because it creeped me out.

(in reply to MB2)
Post #: 48
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/6/2009 3:03:10 PM   
grucl

Pet Cemetary really creeped me out when I first read it. It made me think about death for the first time and what it would feel like to lose someone close to me.

I finally got to finish the Dark Tower saga after a 15 year gap and must say I wasn't too impressed.

I can also recommend IT and Cujo.

< Message edited by grucl -- 22/6/2009 3:06:03 PM >

(in reply to MustangErin)
Post #: 49
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/6/2009 4:16:07 PM   
Gremill

Nice guide for King n00bs

I'm a huge fan of his short stories and as a collection, you cannot beat Skeleton Crew and Night Shift imo, which has The Mist (one of my all time favourite shorts of his) for ultimate win.

Cell was a major disappointment for me.  The first half was awesome, like the terrifying King of old, but then he completely fumbled the 2nd half by trying to explain the (what should be) unexplainable.  He had a cheek dedicating it to George A Romero too.  For much better King-penned zombie carnage, look up his short 'Home Delivery' from Nightmares & Dreamscapes.

The Dark Tower series goes like this:

1:  Hmmm, not sure if I like this...
2:  Wow, this is pretty fucking amazing.
3:  Holy shit, this may be the best Stephen King book I've ever read!
4:  No, wait!  This is the best Stephen King book I've ever read!
5:  I'm really enjoying this, how can it get any better?  Hang-on, what's going on here?  Surely he's not going to do that?
6:  Ah, okay, WTF happened?  Did he have a stroke writing this and no-one noticed?  This is terrible!
7:  Riiiiiiight.  Still, I'll always have 2-5.

That said, the good far outweighs the bad in his work.  The Stand, IT, Misery, The Shining, The Talisman/Black House (astoundingly great), Desperation, Eyes of the Dragon etc etc etc - all should be read by everyone with eyes and half a brain.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 50
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 23/6/2009 9:43:56 AM   
m_er

It for me, no doubt.

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 51
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/7/2009 2:03:12 PM   
Super Hans

Just thought I'd recommend Duma Key - I finally finished it on holiday last month and really enjoyed it. Very much a slow burner but I liked it! Not read enough of his to know how it ranks alongside all his others though.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 52
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 16/7/2009 2:14:24 PM   
CORLEONE

I liked Dreamcatcher. No, really.

Anyone read Cell?

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 53
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 19/7/2009 10:46:51 AM   
CAD36

Jees, I'm 39 and been reading King since I was 16 and I have to pick a favourite 

Okay I'd have to go with:

1. The Stand (the updated version, not the original)
2. The Talisman
3. Blackhouse
4. Ghost Story (with Peter Straub)
5. Salem's Lot (the original, not the updated version)
6. The girl who loved Tom Gordon
7. Gerald's Game (this has to be the best one-setting book I've ever read)
8. Misery
9. Insomnia
10. Dead Zone

If you like King, you should try Dean Koontz too.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 54
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 29/7/2009 5:32:54 PM   
chrismart83

For me its a toss up between 'IT' and 'Hearts in Atlantis', il go with 'IT'.

So many to chose from though :

Green mile
Salems' lot
The Stand
Dead Zone

''You'll Never Walk Alone''

Post #: 55
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 30/7/2009 11:46:00 AM   
separkin

I go with either Salem's Lot, The Shining or Misery at a push.

I wasn't a fan of Dolores Claiborne, and I still haven't got round to Carrie, but I also recommend the Night Shift short stories, which include Graveyard Shift and the fantastic Sometimes They Come Back.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
-Albert Einstein

(in reply to chrismart83)
Post #: 56
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 30/7/2009 11:54:48 AM   
chrismart83

quote:

ORIGINAL: separkin

I go with either Salem's Lot, The Shining or Misery at a push.

I wasn't a fan of Dolores Claiborne, and I still haven't got round to Carrie, but I also recommend the Night Shift short stories, which include Graveyard Shift and the fantastic Sometimes They Come Back.

Agree there, Night shift is an excellent read.

''You'll Never Walk Alone''

(in reply to separkin)
Post #: 57
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 11/8/2009 3:24:33 PM   
Ebony Heart

Gremill has it totally spot on with the Dark Tower series.
Best King books have to be either Dark Tower 2-5; The Mist; Misery or The Stand.

I have two qualms with King though; one is his constant referencing to other books and himself (writing himself into the Dark Tower series! gah!) and two his writing style after a while, begins to grate on me.
He has bloody brilliant ideas though, apart from Cujo, which I'm sorry, I thought was a bit shit..

Game over man! Game over!

(in reply to Gremill)
Post #: 58
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 14/8/2009 9:50:44 PM   
Strange Zero

I'd really like to start reading Stephen King's books (I've seen loads of the movie adaptions, and its obvious the source material is good), and since there's so many fans of his discussing his books here, which one do you think is the best book to start off on? Sorry is I'm kind of interrupting the thread, I was just wondering...

"Thought that was pretty f*ckin' funny didn't you? Word of advice, sh*thead - don't you ever wake up." - Kill Bill: Vol. 1

(in reply to Ebony Heart)
Post #: 59
RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? - 22/8/2009 9:08:25 AM   
Tech_Noir

Could try Different Seasons (short stories) but if you wanna dive right in I say go for The Shining, The Stand or IT (the latter two are very long but worth it).

(in reply to Strange Zero)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: What's the best Stephen King Book? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI