Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 23/7/2011 8:30:34 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Any idea how many seasons this will finish with? I have a theory on how it will end but don't want to spoil it just incase

Most likely five the way Gilligan's been talking. I think it depends on how much he wants a further (i.e. sixth) year and what position Breaking Bad fits into AMC's overall schedule by then - whether or not they're happpy to maintain their status as critical darlings or whether they want to chase the higher ratings of The Walking Dead (which is folly).

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 91
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 25/7/2011 10:02:38 PM   
Sway

So, I'm now thinking I was way off the mark about Hank and Citizen Dildo had it spot on to begin with.  I thought Hank was going to turn into one of those alternative health fanatics, but I suspect his obsession with the minerals must have a more rational purpose relating to the case he was working.

Jessie is now well on his way to a complete breakdown... Will be interesting to see what happens with him.

Two scenes with Walter in this episode (his fumbling about with guns with a dealer at the start, and his phonecall from Gus as he approached his house) reminded the viewers of the fact Walter is still so hopelessly out of his depth and is a normal middle aged man who's life has just gone so horribly off track.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 92
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 25/7/2011 10:17:33 PM   
Captain Black

Saul on the TV in the bar just killed me:

"Have you recently lost a loved one in an aviation disaster? Have you suffered injury, shock to the senses, or property damage due to debris or, God forbid, falling body parts?”

Then it shifts from that to a tense sense between Mike and Walt, such good writing to changes tones so quickly and not become jarring.

Edit: Oh yeah, about 20 minutes into the episode, just as Jesse walks out of the front door, an older chap leans into frame -- is that Cranston in a wig?

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 25/7/2011 10:35:56 PM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 93
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 26/7/2011 9:54:37 AM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Rocks?! They're MINERALS!!

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

Post #: 94
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 26/7/2011 10:44:36 AM   
GabrielDimas

- Go home, Walter!

I bet we're gonna see a flashback which shows us how Gus met Mike. It's like there's more than money between them. So much loyalty.

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 95
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 26/7/2011 5:40:01 PM   
Captain Black

Maybe some loyalty, but Mike's feeling the pressure too - he did instinctively pull a gun on Gus when Gus cut Victor's throat, so he clearly wasn't prepared for that himself. It's just he knows if he did 'put Walt in a room with Gus' and Walt doesn't get the job done (which the subsequent beating demonstrated is highly likely) then he's next to be killed. 

Invisiotext:

(in reply to GabrielDimas)
Post #: 96
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 26/7/2011 10:00:34 PM   
Citizen Dildo

Another amazing performance by Paul in this one, the last scene with him infront of the speaker was brilliant. Wonder if we'll see Maria (was that her name? Can't recall) and her kid again, seems far too optimistic to hope that Jesse may retrieve some happiness, however far down the line.

Was great to see Ellsworth from Deadwood in the opening scene also, a typically captivating exchange for this show.

Only drawback for me was the part where Walt went to the "Heisenberg side" and the music seemed to change, seemed almost self parody. I read elsewhere that the voice on the other end of the line was Gus's new guy who showed up earlier at the lab. Couldn't figure out at the time whether it was Gus himself or not.

On another note - I didn't get a chance to rewatch season 3 before this season. Thinking back to Walt taking out the 2 drug dealers in the penultimate episode......should Hank's ex colleagues not still be on the case? Or do we think that whole investigation side of the plot will go cold now Hank is housebound and Walt is insulated by Gus's way more professional operation?

Why would anyone ever wanna leave Baltimore?

Post #: 97
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 28/7/2011 8:52:26 AM   
shool

Aw! Jesse man. I just hope that he gets back on track and gets some happiness at some point.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Citizen Dildo)
Post #: 98
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 1/8/2011 11:18:50 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I'd like to ask a question for Breaking Bad fans. I just started watching the show last week. It has blown my mind and i think it's absolutely incredible. Ive just started season 3. My question is about the penultimate episode of S2.

When Walt goes round to Jesse's to get the meth for the big deal, Jane starts choking on her vomit, and of course dies as well know. My question is why on earth do you think Walt just stood there and did nothing? When she started choking, i was expecting him to roll her off her back or something, but he just stood there. I couldn't tell whether he was scared, or just didn't care. It's one moment that doesnt really sit right with me. I thought Walt had more compassion than that. The only thing i could think of is that he thought Jane was a bad influence on Jesse, however just letting her choke to death right in front of him seemed out of character.

Please no spoilers for anything past episode 2 of season 3!

I appreciate your thoughts. Great show, incredibly well acted.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 99
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 1/8/2011 11:56:18 AM   
shool

I think it was a rare moment of Walt being selfish, but also recognising that  it was probably the best thing for Jessie.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 100
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 1/8/2011 12:12:19 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

fair enough. It just seemed to me that letting her die seemed almost borderline evil. I really thought he was going to do something. Can't believe he just stood there. It's especially heartbreaking as she was a sweet girl who had lapsed. Although i appreciate that she had to die storywise, for Jessie to beat himself up as much as he did.

What episode of S4 is the show on currently?

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 101
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 1/8/2011 12:20:35 PM   
shool

US Speed episode 3 aired last night. Will report back later when I've watched it.

Post #: 102
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 2/8/2011 10:26:36 PM   
Captain Black

I would totally go go-karting with Jesse. Probably wouldn't go back to his house afterwards mind, especially as Gus's new muscle is waiting outside looking threatening.

I'm losing track of the money. If Walt and Skyler (who's demonstrating that she's far better equipped to be a career criminal than Walt) can buy the car wash for $800,000, where are they saying the money came from? We know, but they're (in Skyler's own words) 'broke' and they're paying Hank's medical bills.

The Hank thread was fairly predictable if no less satisfying because of it. I can see him showing Walt the notebook before too long. The return to the Marie stealing plot line was a little underwhelming. It was never a strong element to being with, and when she was fake house hunting I expected a little more.

Good episode, nevertheless. Saul and his bodyguard are comedy gold in every scene they're in.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 103
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 3/8/2011 2:38:39 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i thought Skyler's reaction to the champagne was pretty ludicrous, considering the 800k they want to spend on the car wash and all the money going into Hank's healthcare.

just got up to date this morning. I've watched the last 3 and a bit seasons in a week and it's blown my mind. It definitely sagged in the middle of S3 but man oh man did it ever pick up for the finale.

Gus is absolutely terrifying, what a wonderful measured performance Giancarlo Esposito gives in the show. The less is more approach that he has adopted for the character makes him chilling to the bone. It goes without saying that i wouldnt want to be in Walt or Jessie's shoes!

Post #: 104
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 3/8/2011 2:49:32 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

I've just started watching this from season 1 on my friends insistence that it is awesome.

so far - a dead body has fallen through the ceiling because some kid put acid in a bath with the man in it. That was pretty awesome.

I love how, after just two episodes, it's just got to a point where it's just getting worse and worse for the main guy.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

Post #: 105
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 3/8/2011 2:50:41 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i think the funniest line out of the whole series so far has to be from Saul when he meets Skylar: "I see Walter likes his women like he likes his lawyers, only the best!..... with just the right amount of dirty" and the facial reaction from bryan Cranston is just priceless

Post #: 106
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 3/8/2011 6:37:16 PM   
galvatron

Series 4 has started off brilliantly, though I can't see how Walt is going to get away with it now, he doesn't even have a job but is buying a car wash and paying for Hank's medical bills. Maybe his former partner and lover are going to come back into it as a cover story? 

Post #: 107
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 4/8/2011 12:54:35 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMR-VBN7NyM

awesome

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 108
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 4/8/2011 1:32:30 PM   
shool

My word this programme is stressful to watch. I just want to scream at Jesse to pull himself out of it.
The Walt and Skylar scenes were excellent too.

Thats the beauty of this show, that it keeps you rooting for the main characters yet hardly anything ever goes well for them.

Post #: 109
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 5/8/2011 8:17:30 AM   
From_Hell

I'm based in the UK with only Freeview TV at home. I'm not even sure when I'm going to get to watch Season 3, let alone Season 4, and I don't have a friendly aunt in the US who can help me. I think I read somewhere that 5US only had rights to show Seasons 1 and 2, so unless another channel picks it up, it might not be shown again in the UK. It doesn't even seem to be clear if/when Season 3 is going to get a DVD release in the UK.

My options seem to be limited to a) wait for DVD releases that may never come or b) stream Season 3 and 4 off a website somewhere. I'm fuzzy on the whole streaming thing. Is it legal, given that I'm not actually downloading content?

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 110
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 5/8/2011 12:57:07 PM   
GabrielDimas

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell

I'm based in the UK with only Freeview TV at home. I'm not even sure when I'm going to get to watch Season 3, let alone Season 4, and I don't have a friendly aunt in the US who can help me. I think I read somewhere that 5US only had rights to show Seasons 1 and 2, so unless another channel picks it up, it might not be shown again in the UK. It doesn't even seem to be clear if/when Season 3 is going to get a DVD release in the UK.

My options seem to be limited to a) wait for DVD releases that may never come or b) stream Season 3 and 4 off a website somewhere. I'm fuzzy on the whole streaming thing. Is it legal, given that I'm not actually downloading content?

Don't you have a multiregion player?  Season 3 is already out in the USA and I suppose Season 4 will come out in a couple of months.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 111
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 5/8/2011 1:10:05 PM   
Citizen Dildo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I'd like to ask a question for Breaking Bad fans. I just started watching the show last week. It has blown my mind and i think it's absolutely incredible. Ive just started season 3. My question is about the penultimate episode of S2.

When Walt goes round to Jesse's to get the meth for the big deal, Jane starts choking on her vomit, and of course dies as well know. My question is why on earth do you think Walt just stood there and did nothing? When she started choking, i was expecting him to roll her off her back or something, but he just stood there. I couldn't tell whether he was scared, or just didn't care. It's one moment that doesnt really sit right with me. I thought Walt had more compassion than that. The only thing i could think of is that he thought Jane was a bad influence on Jesse, however just letting her choke to death right in front of him seemed out of character.

DK, you are correct, it's an amazing show and that episode was one of the most shocking.

However you have missed something.  Walt did not just stand and let her choke, he actually caused her death.  And I mean in a more literal sense than by putting Jesse in a position to rent a house next door to her and suck her back into drug use.  Watch it again, Walt actually moves Jane inadvertently into a position that causes her death.  He shakes Jesse, which bumps Jane onto her back and ultimately makes her choke.  Then he watches.

Why would anyone ever wanna leave Baltimore?

Post #: 112
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 7/8/2011 1:32:55 PM   
Sway

I've finally got round to watching last week's episode now - just been super busy so haven't had time until today. 

I feel it's been quite a slow start to the season, although that's not to say I'm enjoying it any less, but was glad to see Hank pick up Gale's labnotes at the end, hopefully this will push it on a little further.

The scene with Jesse go karting alone, which lasted probably about 30 seconds in total was heartbreaking.  I've never seen a character look so utterly, utterly desolate, vulnerable and anguished as Jesse did there.    It really hit me, more so than the scenes of him surrounding himself by constant company/dregs of society at his house.

With regards to DK's question regarding Jane's death and thinking Walter had more compassion than that  - I think Walter does have compassion up until a certain point, which is when his life, and those in it, are in danger.  Both in the immediate sense (e.g potential death) and in a broader sense - being caught by the authorities - particularly now Skylar is involved.   Faced with the choice of protecting his own interests in that respect, and letting somebody else take the downfall, he'll choose the latter over compassion.    I didn't get round to re-watching S3 before S4 aired, but as far as I can recall he was the one urging Jesse to kill Gale as it was a Gale or him scenario.   I would say that was more of an 'evil' moment than the Jane situation.   But it was also required to protect himself and his family.   Compassion has no part to play is such decisions unfortunately and I think Walter's character has been developed in such a way that we can understand his actions, even though we certainly can't empathise or relate.

< Message edited by Sway -- 7/8/2011 1:34:12 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 113
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 8/8/2011 11:50:53 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Citizen Dildo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

DK, you are correct, it's an amazing show and that episode was one of the most shocking.

However you have missed something.  Walt did not just stand and let her choke, he actually caused her death.  And I mean in a more literal sense than by putting Jesse in a position to rent a house next door to her and suck her back into drug use.  Watch it again, Walt actually moves Jane inadvertently into a position that causes her death.  He shakes Jesse, which bumps Jane onto her back and ultimately makes her choke.  Then he watches.

Shit man you're right. This just gets more fucked up. Don't get me wrong, there have been moments during the show that i've been shaking my head at Walt's actions, but this just takes the biscuit. I'm still reeling from him standing there doing nothing, ESPECIALLY like you say, he was responsible for her ending up on her back and choking.

Post #: 114
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 8/8/2011 11:55:12 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

I've finally got round to watching last week's episode now - just been super busy so haven't had time until today. 

I feel it's been quite a slow start to the season, although that's not to say I'm enjoying it any less, but was glad to see Hank pick up Gale's labnotes at the end, hopefully this will push it on a little further.

The scene with Jesse go karting alone, which lasted probably about 30 seconds in total was heartbreaking.  I've never seen a character look so utterly, utterly desolate, vulnerable and anguished as Jesse did there.    It really hit me, more so than the scenes of him surrounding himself by constant company/dregs of society at his house.

With regards to DK's question regarding Jane's death and thinking Walter had more compassion than that  - I think Walter does have compassion up until a certain point, which is when his life, and those in it, are in danger.  Both in the immediate sense (e.g potential death) and in a broader sense - being caught by the authorities - particularly now Skylar is involved.   Faced with the choice of protecting his own interests in that respect, and letting somebody else take the downfall, he'll choose the latter over compassion.    I didn't get round to re-watching S3 before S4 aired, but as far as I can recall he was the one urging Jesse to kill Gale as it was a Gale or him scenario.   I would say that was more of an 'evil' moment than the Jane situation.   But it was also required to protect himself and his family.   Compassion has no part to play is such decisions unfortunately and I think Walter's character has been developed in such a way that we can understand his actions, even though we certainly can't empathise or relate.

I think gale totally deserved what was coming to him. Despite being seemingly innocent and niave, he was a big time criminal and knew exactly what he was doing. Gale deserved to go! He did have that great moment at the start of S4 with Gus "I doff my proverbial cap to you sir!" Oh gale...

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 115
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 8/8/2011 8:58:54 PM   
Chojin

Nooooooo you can't end an episode like that!

Brilliant episode with so many top quality moments. Mike in the truck, Walt and Hanks conversation about 'W.W' - gripping TV

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 116
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 8/8/2011 10:22:55 PM   
Captain Black

It can change gears like nobody's business this show.

First off, that opening scene with Mike in the refrigerated truck taking out the two cartel members was brilliant. I wonder a bit just how much is on the page when it comes to Mike's character and just how much Jonathan Banks is bringing to the role; I'm sure Gilligan's tempted to just write him into scenes and let Banks do the rest.

Then the Walter and Skyler scene (which thankfully reminded me of where they 'supposedly' got their money from)  which lasted until the 15 minute mark. And this is Cranston's best episode of the season thus far; the range he plays from the opening scene to the end....well, it'll doubtless be four times Emmy winner Bryan Cranston sometime next year.

But y'know, maybe the best scene in the episode was when he was trying to talk to Jesse about what exactly Jesse did when shooting Gale; particularly that camera zoom in on Jesse's eye.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 117
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 9/8/2011 11:15:00 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

awesome episode. methinks Mike is gonna be teaming up with jesse to take down Gus in the long term. There's no way jesse's getting taken out to the desert to be shot. After their conversation at jesse's house, Mike has a newfound respect for him now. Even if he did call him a shithead

Post #: 118
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 10/8/2011 2:49:20 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

SO just watched the worst episode of Breaking Bad and probably the worst episode of anything on television I have seen for a while.

The episode in season 3 where Walt and Jesse are chasing the fly. I got the metaphor to begin with but then they dragged it out - it was a drag to watch. And Walt didn't tell Jesse that he killed Jane. All that build up for nothing. What's up with that, yo!?

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

Post #: 119
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July - 10/8/2011 5:50:51 PM   
Captain Black

For the record, I don't expect people who are not up to speed to wade through this thread and risk spoilers - now, it's a bit difficult with people all watching at a different rate what to label another one, but the option's there.

With that in mind, I disagree with the sentiment that any episode which features Walt's truly astonishing monologue where he describes his perfect time to die can be described as the worst anything. That's just a wonderful piece of writing and acting, and the way it highlights how everything that happens in Breaking Bad spirals out from Walt's initial decision to make meth.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI