Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed - 17/9/2013 10:14:42 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Still doesn't beat that one Game of Thrones episode for single holyfuckness, but Breaking Bad is consistently just the single best thing on TV right now. If it doesn't drop the ball in the last two episodes (and there's nothing to suggest it will) then it's going to the top of my TV list. Above BSG.

Breaking Bad has the advantage of no-one having read a book about aforementioned holyfuckness though.

True, though that's only an advantage if you read all the smug comments of "OMG I TOTES TOLD YOU THIS WAS GONNA HAPPEN LOLZER WE READ THIS YEARS AGO YAWWWWWN". I didn't, so it still punched me right in the gut.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 571
RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed - 17/9/2013 12:11:14 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I would love the final episode to end with Walt's real confession from the very first episode, but I doubt that will happen. I think the video camera got destroyed, so there's no way someone picked it up.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 572
RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed - 17/9/2013 12:29:21 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

I would love the final episode to end with Walt's real confession from the very first episode, but I doubt that will happen. I think the video camera got destroyed, so there's no way someone picked it up.

Well, it's not like that would hold much significance. He's already basically outed himself as Heisenberg in that phone call to Skyler. So, Walter White is a wanted man. Which does rather make his neighbour's reaction from the second episode of this final stretch (I forget her name) when he says hi to her as he goes into the abandoned house, make a little more sense.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 573
RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed - 17/9/2013 1:30:08 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Well that was intense.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 574
RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed - 17/9/2013 1:37:39 PM   
talpacino

The phone call between Skylar and Walt was one of the best bits of TV I've ever seen. Actually, just the whole episode. Gonna cry when this is finished.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 575
RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed - 17/9/2013 6:54:52 PM   
Sway

quote:

Still doesn't beat that one Game of Thrones episode for single holyfuckness, but Breaking Bad is consistently just the single best thing on TV right now. If it doesn't drop the ball in the last two episodes (and there's nothing to suggest it will) then it's going to the top of my TV list. Above BSG.

It definitely beat the GoT episode for me, since I am so utterly invested in the few main characters in Breaking Bad. GoT has too many characters going on for me to really care about any but one or two of them.

Anyway I absolutely loved the start of the episode - it was so melancholy watching Walter trying to figure out how to lie effectively for the first time knowing the path he ended up following.

There was something so sad when you saw their former selves disappearing like that.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 576
RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed - 17/9/2013 9:02:36 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

Well, it's not like that would hold much significance. He's already basically outed himself as Heisenberg in that phone call to Skyler. So, Walter White is a wanted man. Which does rather make his neighbour's reaction from the second episode of this final stretch (I forget her name) when he says hi to her as he goes into the abandoned house, make a little more sense.

Carol.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 577
RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed - 19/9/2013 11:33:10 AM   
shool

I've never experienced anything as stressful as Breaking Bad. another simply incredible episode.

The baby scenes and the point thinking that Jesse was about to get executed too had me on the tied up on knots. Proper hand biting stuff.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 578
RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed - 19/9/2013 12:46:17 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

There was something so sad when you saw their former selves disappearing like that.

This!

Seeing Jesse just fooling about in the background while Walt made his call was heart-breaking. That care free, immature playfulness.. completely gone… dead. The fade out hit me hard. That’s when I knew this was going to be a seriously hard watch.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 579
RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed - 19/9/2013 1:13:51 PM   
MattBecker

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

This!

Seeing Jesse just fooling about in the background while Walt made his call was heart-breaking. That care free, immature playfulness.. completely gone… dead. The fade out hit me hard. That’s when I knew this was going to be a seriously hard watch.

And not just because of that Ozymandias was one of the most emotionally devastating tv episodes I've ever watched. I felt so sorry for Hank, Jessie, Walt.. just everybody. The road they have taken and how everything is going to come to an end. The last episodes will get as dark as they come. at least that's what I think...

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 580
RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed - 19/9/2013 3:29:50 PM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Walt will die at the end. I'm convinced that his hair growth in the flash-forwards is down to him giving up on chemo because he's in full on 'don't give a fuck anymore' mode. He's lost the family that he was doing it all for in the first place.

He may go on a mission to retrieve the rest of the money that was taken from him, kill everyone, get the money back to Skyler then get killed by Jesse. Maybe.

Please someone, correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that hair loss doesn't happen on your second round of chemotherapy?

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 581
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 20/9/2013 11:12:52 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

This paragraph sums up my exact thoughts on the episode. Oscar winning baby acting. I also think there's something redemptive showing through in Walt even amid his new experimenting with naked evil. It was like this new dalliance with an antichrist persona was a grief reaction. Some kind of bitter compensation. The scene with the phonecall was sooooo good from a writing and acting perspective in its see-saw between vile unreasoning and some sense of instant regret as it was going on. I'm so bitter I just want to get rid of these thoughts but I'm not sure how much of it I believe myself. He obviously blames Jesse for Hank's involvement. Which on the basis of the last two episodes is technically obvious, but over the entire past history of his criminal life Hank was just as obviously going to be involved in his fall. I think it's this sense which will re-occur with Walt and I also think he will come back for Jesse. This return of conscience was perfectly seeded in the holly abduction.

Just watched Ozymandias for the second time and now realise how wrong the above is.

That guy in work whose intelligence I don't respect? Whose conjecture I was sure was stolen from the internet? He said a very wise thing about the Walt's phonecall which belittles my initial reading from above...but also questions if he steals his insights from the net since no one here has posted the truth about the phonecall scene.

The simplicity is beautiful in its asymmetry.

Walt threatens Skyler to exonerate her of any wrong doing. Why I couldn't see that the first time and talked about "dalliance with an antichrist persona" I do not know. There is no Heisenberg. There is no Tyler Durden split. There's only warped family man Walt.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 20/9/2013 11:21:31 PM >

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 582
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 21/9/2013 10:58:04 AM   
JagLover

They never sign post anything in BB so i'm not surprised it took a rewatch for some to realise the truth of that scene, that WW was trying to exonerate her from blame.

Oh, there was real anger in him, but that was the point of it all, he is too smart not to realise the police were there. He may have even taken Holly purely to set up that scene, though I personally doubt that.

Season 5b was the moment for me when BB became the greatest TV show ever made, and that is just one of so many amazing scenes.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 583
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 21/9/2013 1:25:35 PM   
film man aidy

Just watched Ozymandias(and my only reason for subscribing to Netflix). Best episode of any season. Period. THE most intense 40 minutes of tv I think I've ever seen. Hugely compelling, but extremely dark and upsetting in nature. Can it get any darker?! A week on Monday seems like an age to wait...

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 584
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 21/9/2013 2:08:39 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: JagLover

They never sign post anything in BB so i'm not surprised it took a rewatch for some to realise the truth of that scene, that WW was trying to exonerate her from blame.

Personally, I thought that was made quite clear. Cranston did a wonderful job of saying one thing whilst his body language suggested another.

In other news, the last 2 episodes will both be an hour long, rather than the usual 45 minutes.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 585
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 22/9/2013 2:07:39 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Just watched Ozymandias. That might be the greatest episode so far in the series, and maybe the most chilling one I've seen in general from any show.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 586
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 22/9/2013 3:24:46 PM   
Proudfoot

If they screw up the ending I believe the world will implode.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 587
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 22/9/2013 8:03:45 PM   
Mister Coe

watched 'Oxidiandas' after a furious Netflix marathon, just so I can be up to date...

That phone conversation between Walt and Skylar... an acting masterpiece from Mr Cranston.  IMO, he's trying to make everyone hate him, no matter how much he loves them. He's about to do some horrible shit...

I've seen so many great shows have terrible endings (yes, LOST, I'm looking at you...) but I have absolute faith that BB will end in a truly amazing way, one we won't forget...

Say what now?

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 588
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 23/9/2013 7:59:56 AM   
furrybastard

*************************SPOILERS FOR 5.15 - GRANITE STATE******************************

"They stole my life's work"

It's always been about his pride. Not his family. The above quote takes on a double meaning by the end of the episode as Walter/Heisenberg finally becomes free. What an absolutely fantastic ending.

Poor Jesse. Kid just can't catch a break.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 589
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 23/9/2013 11:41:21 AM   
film man aidy

So I've just watched Granite Slate. Whilst it doesn't quite reach the heights of Ozymandias (THE best episode imo, so it probably wasn't going to), it was still absolutely brilliant tv. Loved it from start to finish. The only thing I would say is that, extended episode or not, I can't see how the makers are going to cram everything left into one episode.
Also, nice to see this quality show getting a bit of proper recognition at the Emmys last night.

MILD SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MILD SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MILD SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see Robert Forster turn up. One of Hollywood's really great 'old school' actors, who doesn't appear in enough material.

As usual some fantastically written and beautifully acted scenes, the phone call in particular.

And on a final note, I didn't think it could get much darker. There is a very specific scene (you'll know it when it happens) that made me literally gasp out loud...

MILD SPOILERS END

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 590
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 23/9/2013 3:29:05 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Another stellar episode. Slightly worried that the finale is not going to live up to my expectations, I just don't know how it is going to end. Walt/Heisenberg is on the warpath for sure after watching that Charlie Rose interview.

And someone just kill Meth Damon already, the guy is a creep!

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 591
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 23/9/2013 8:16:22 PM   
Proudfoot

Well, that one terrible moment was really, really terrible. God all mighty... Are the people who make this show all sadistic assholes?

Fantastic episode. Almost zen like compared to the previous episodes, but just as compelling and powerful.

They've got the phone-conversation-scene down to an art form.

< Message edited by Proudfoot -- 23/9/2013 8:18:46 PM >

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

Post #: 592
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 23/9/2013 8:19:51 PM   
Proudfoot

quote:

Another stellar episode. Slightly worried that the finale is not going to live up to my expectations, I just don't know how it is going to end. Walt/Heisenberg is on the warpath for sure after watching that Charlie Rose interview.

And someone just kill Meth Damon already, the guy is a creep!

Please yes.

Of course he'll probably live happily ever after, just because.

Post #: 593
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 23/9/2013 8:39:07 PM   
Mister Coe

POSSIBLE SPOILERS HERE, PLEASE PROCEED CAREFULLY>>>

Still with me?  OK...

Oh, furrybastard, I hope you're wrong (damn, thats a sentance I never thought I'd write...) I'm really hoping for some kind of redemption for Walt.

I'm suspecting it might all go a bit GODFATHER 3 although, you know, a bit less shit.  IMO, Someone close to him will die (well, another person) and he will end up in a hospital bed with the cancer finally taking him and being horribly haunted about the result of what he did.  I thought it might go that way when him and Skylar were fighting over that knife and his disabled son was shuffling over...

THAT scene and the phone conversation... truly gob-smacking stuff.

Seriously, can the very last episode (hoping it'll stream on Netflix next Monday) POSSIBLY live up to all our expectations?  And how can I possibly last until then?

Say what now?

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 594
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 23/9/2013 8:39:50 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Proudfoot

Well, that one terrible moment was really, really terrible. God all mighty... Are the people who make this show all sadistic assholes?

Broke my heart, the look on his face

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 595
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 23/9/2013 8:52:07 PM   
Proudfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Proudfoot

Broke my heart, the look on his face

It was terrible.

Did I mention how terrible it was?

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 596
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 23/9/2013 9:54:11 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

POSSIBLE SPOILERS HERE, PLEASE PROCEED CAREFULLY>>>

Oh, furrybastard, I hope you're wrong (damn, thats a sentance I never thought I'd write...) I'm really hoping for some kind of redemption for Walt.

I think Walt is way past redemption. I'm surprised at the amount of people who still think Walt was ever doing it for his family. He's a weak, pathetic, egotistical little man who has put them in harms way again and agin. The Gray Matter incident from earlier in his life has pretty much defined him and almost everything he's done has been an attempt to get the respect (whether through fear, intimidation or anything else) that he heels entitled to. Remember in season 4 (or early 5?) when he had an 'out' from the business? He had his money, he had his family and he was free from servitude. When Jesse asks him why he doesn't stop, he pretty much lays it all out right then and there: it's never been about anything but his pride. Even in the very first episode we see this: Walt is humiliated by one of his pupils at the carwash that he moonlights at. It's one of the first times we see Walt and it's clearly a factor (as well as his 'unfairly' getting cancer) in his decison to get involved in meth production.

It's always been about Walt getting even at the world for not giving him everything he feels he deserves (the respect and fortune from Gray Matter and the love of Gretchen, his ideal woman who rejected him). He kills Mike and Gus because they're both tougher and more successful than him; he gets Hank killed for being more clever. He wants to kill Jesse for rebelling against him. He's a monster, through and through. And it's his son who sees right through him.

Oh and how can Jesse survive this? I mean, even if he gets 'rescued' in the last episode, he's pretty much dead. I can't see him being able to live with himself after all this. Yet another of Walt's victims

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 23/9/2013 9:57:00 PM >

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 597
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 24/9/2013 12:51:36 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

I think Walt is way past redemption. I'm surprised at the amount of people who still think Walt was ever doing it for his family. He's a weak, pathetic, egotistical little man who has put them in harms way again and agin. The Gray Matter incident from earlier in his life has pretty much defined him and almost everything he's done has been an attempt to get the respect (whether through fear, intimidation or anything else) that he heels entitled to. Remember in season 4 (or early 5?) when he had an 'out' from the business? He had his money, he had his family and he was free from servitude. When Jesse asks him why he doesn't stop, he pretty much lays it all out right then and there: it's never been about anything but his pride. Even in the very first episode we see this: Walt is humiliated by one of his pupils at the carwash that he moonlights at. It's one of the first times we see Walt and it's clearly a factor (as well as his 'unfairly' getting cancer) in his decison to get involved in meth production.

It's always been about Walt getting even at the world for not giving him everything he feels he deserves (the respect and fortune from Gray Matter and the love of Gretchen, his ideal woman who rejected him). He kills Mike and Gus because they're both tougher and more successful than him; he gets Hank killed for being more clever. He wants to kill Jesse for rebelling against him. He's a monster, through and through. And it's his son who sees right through him.

Oh and how can Jesse survive this? I mean, even if he gets 'rescued' in the last episode, he's pretty much dead. I can't see him being able to live with himself after all this. Yet another of Walt's victims

Great post. The final scene in this week's episode did a brilliant job of hammering that home. The phone call with Jr makes it clear that he's destroyed his family rather than done anything for them. He's ready to give up then until the Rose interview appears and reminds us within the same scene what his real motivation was: he wants people to recognise how great he is, more than looking after his family, or even money or power. ('say my name.') The Aryans are essentially the Gretchen and Elliot of the meth world in Walt's eyes - they 'stole' what was his and they have the nerve to use his signature product, the blue meth. The fact that this is enough to make Walt change his mind about being arrested and make an inevitably suicidal return to Albuquerque, rather than his family's predicament, speaks volumes about him.

I remember Vince Gilligan saying that he considers the final episode to be a victory for Walt or something like that. I hope he avoids redeeming him. A 'victory' that satisfies his petty ego and his craving for recognition, presumably via shooting up loads of Nazis and giving himself up as the great Heisenberg (the tagline for this season being 'Remember My Name' comes to mind) but leaves him with no money and his family still broke and hating him would be fitting.

(I was actually discussing this with a friend of mine who disagreed with me about what should happen to the family. On one hand, if the message of the show is 'if you do bad things, bad things deserve to happen to you' then the kids haven't done anything to deserve being penniless and their lives ruined. On the other hand, if the message of the show is the subtly different 'if you do bad things, there will be consequences beyond your control', then it would be fitting if Walt's bad behaviour, ironically under the ostensible reasoning of 'providing for his family', had permanently ruined their lives. I still don't know if that's too unfair or a more realistic moral message than the former, though.)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 598
RE: Breaking Bad starting on Five USA - 24/9/2013 8:37:03 AM   
MBeard

I have never felt heartbreak and genuine connection to a character like I did when that thing happened and we just Jesse's genuine reaction. Take a bow Aaron Paul.

PM me for Xbox Live Details!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 599
RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed - 24/9/2013 9:25:42 AM   
Chief

Will Walt go out in a blaze of (un-)glory? New theory: Shoot up all the Nazi's, I'm not sure if he'll kill Jesse or not then take the ricin himself and wait for the police to show up.

Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Breaking Bad - US Speed Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI