Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 17/8/2012 1:05:03 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/police-are-looking-to-arrest-walter-white-on-meth,83965/

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 301
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 19/8/2012 6:59:13 AM   
Fit Kisto

Alternate ending to episode 5. SPOILERS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nmxRGD2CLU&feature=player_embedded#t=0s

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 302
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 20/8/2012 2:20:10 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Jesses face when Skylar mentioned the affair was P R I C E L E S S!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
Post #: 303
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 20/8/2012 2:32:30 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Jesses face when Skylar mentioned the affair was P R I C E L E S S!

Is the A L I E N style thing your new thing?

The dinner scene was great.

I also wondered if Walt was going to cut his own hand off.

Walt's face as he looked at Mike as Mike pointed the gun at his face showed just how much in control Walt is. He's one cold sonofabitch.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 304
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 20/8/2012 7:55:47 PM   
Chojin

The dinner scene was just horrible to watch, so much tension!

I didn't really side with Walt until he explained what happened with Gray Matter, then it all became clear and I could see why he was holding out for the bigger payoff.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 305
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 20/8/2012 9:43:02 PM   
Castor Troy

Two things. That opening, pre-credit scene was amazing. Also, the look on Jesse's face when Skylar mentioned the affair was unbelievably funny - the way he kept the glass to his lips, looking at each of them.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 306
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 21/8/2012 12:37:48 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Walt's face as he looked at Mike as Mike pointed the gun at his face showed just how much in control Walt is. He's one cold sonofabitch.

Or how in control he thinks he is. It's going to all come crashing down around him, I think.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 307
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 21/8/2012 10:00:36 AM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 308
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 21/8/2012 4:03:45 PM   
paul_ie86

I've a question. Is anyone rooting for Walt at this point? I think that the series has made more of an effort to move him from the anti-hero to the villain of the story this season than in previous seasons.

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 21/8/2012 4:05:10 PM >

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 309
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 21/8/2012 9:47:20 PM   
MB2

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

I've a question. Is anyone rooting for Walt at this point? I think that the series has made more of an effort to move him from the anti-hero to the villain of the story this season than in previous seasons.

Vince Gilligan is toying with our sympathies.

By the time we catch up to the 52nd birthday flashforward he'll have somehow won us over to Walt's side once again. Unless he kills Jesse. Then me and him are done.

Roxy: That's who we should kill next.
Frank: A fictitious character?
Roxy: No. Diablo Cody. Fuck her for writing that movie, she's the only stripper who suffers from too much self esteem.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 310
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 22/8/2012 8:22:54 PM   
Chojin

quote:

I am.

I tend to see things as black and white which is why I don't sympathise with the more whiny characters like Skylar. I realise the whiny, moral driven characters need to be there to give a dramatic impact to the evil deeds but Skylar especially needs to go.

< Message edited by Chojin -- 22/8/2012 8:23:16 PM >

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 311
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 22/8/2012 8:31:59 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

quote:

I am.

I tend to see things as black and white which is why I don't sympathise with the more whiny characters like Skylar. I realise the whiny, moral driven characters need to be there to give a dramatic impact to the evil deeds but Skylar especially needs to go.

Even though he let Jane die and he poisoned Brock?

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 312
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 24/8/2012 6:18:41 AM   
furrybastard

I can't believe anyone is siding with Walter at this stage!?! Even Gilligan seems to thinks he's an evil bastard, from what I can tell. And from the interviews I've read recently, I very much doubt they're going for the redemption angle here (how does one redeem oneself from the murder of children, by the by!?) I've always felt this show was not about the Rise and Fall and Redemption of Walter White but of Jesse. Or, to get more pretentious about it, Jessie is Faust and Walt is the Devil

I felt a little disappointed with the last episode's ending because I felt it was too neat a way of avoiding the conundrum Walt and Jessie were put in with that kid seeing them. It's clear Jessie wasn't going to kill him but I truly think Walt would have. Maybe not then and there... but it's clear Walt feels no guilt about the child's murder. In fact, he pretty much endorses it in the latest episode. That whistling scene was brilliant.

As for Walt's rationale regarding Grey Matter, I thought it was a really effective way of showing just how pathetic a person he really is. "I check it every week" pretty much tells you all you need to know. This guy is willing to sacrifice his life, the life of his wife and children and countless others, because he's aggrieved at his own personal failure. Everyone else pays because Walt is a weak, pathetic man. We've seen him manipulate Jessie repeatedly (a character who WAS capable of redemption again and again, and many times set out to achieve, this before being pulled back in by Walt).

The only person I'm rooting for now is Jessie. The pre-dinner scene was, I think, very important as it seems that Jessie has finally realised just how weak and fucked up Walt really is (if the whistling scene wasn't enough evidence!) Walt's not interested in money, or even power really. He's feeding his ego. It's about how he wants the world to see him, as opposed to how the world has always seen him (remember the pilot episode when he's humiliated by one of his schoolkids? Turns out that kid was right on the money there!)

Oh and how about a shout-out for Baby White? That scene with Skyler and her sister: the baby spent the entire time chewing on a bracelet. I've dubbed her Big Bad Baby White

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 24/8/2012 6:20:37 AM >

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 313
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 24/8/2012 7:44:40 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

I can't believe anyone is siding with Walter at this stage!?! Even Gilligan seems to thinks he's an evil bastard, from what I can tell. And from the interviews I've read recently, I very much doubt they're going for the redemption angle here (how does one redeem oneself from the murder of children, by the by!?) I've always felt this show was not about the Rise and Fall and Redemption of Walter White but of Jesse. Or, to get more pretentious about it, Jessie is Faust and Walt is the Devil

I felt a little disappointed with the last episode's ending because I felt it was too neat a way of avoiding the conundrum Walt and Jessie were put in with that kid seeing them. It's clear Jessie wasn't going to kill him but I truly think Walt would have. Maybe not then and there... but it's clear Walt feels no guilt about the child's murder. In fact, he pretty much endorses it in the latest episode. That whistling scene was brilliant.

As for Walt's rationale regarding Grey Matter, I thought it was a really effective way of showing just how pathetic a person he really is. "I check it every week" pretty much tells you all you need to know. This guy is willing to sacrifice his life, the life of his wife and children and countless others, because he's aggrieved at his own personal failure. Everyone else pays because Walt is a weak, pathetic man. We've seen him manipulate Jessie repeatedly (a character who WAS capable of redemption again and again, and many times set out to achieve, this before being pulled back in by Walt).

The only person I'm rooting for now is Jessie. The pre-dinner scene was, I think, very important as it seems that Jessie has finally realised just how weak and fucked up Walt really is (if the whistling scene wasn't enough evidence!) Walt's not interested in money, or even power really. He's feeding his ego. It's about how he wants the world to see him, as opposed to how the world has always seen him (remember the pilot episode when he's humiliated by one of his schoolkids? Turns out that kid was right on the money there!)

Oh and how about a shout-out for Baby White? That scene with Skyler and her sister: the baby spent the entire time chewing on a bracelet. I've dubbed her Big Bad Baby White

I started writing a post about this last night, but got distracted by my flatmate who wouldn't shut up, so had to give up.

Up until the end of last season/beginning of this season, I have always rooted for Walter. There have been so many things he's done that I've not agreed with, but mostly I've been able to see why he's done them and still hoped that one day he could get himself out of the mess he got himself caught up in way back in Season 1.

However with the poisoning of Brock followed by all of this Season so far I've majorly changed my view of him. He's manipulative, conniving, devoid of any sense of whatever little morals he had left now and basically rotten to the core. But I love that the show has created a character like this - it's one of the only times I can recall loving a character so much, only for it to slowly be turned on it's head, and now I love to loathe him. As you say, Furry, the whistling scene just about summed it up. Jesse is absolutely broken inside over that kid's murder, and Walter just does not give a shit.

Similary his manipulation and hold over Skyler is painful to watch. I know a lot of people hate her character, but I've always liked her, and to see her essentially trapped is horrible. Stuck between a rock and a hard place. How the hell did her marriage go so wrong so quickly?

The big thing for me about the latest episode is that Walt had a total legitimate out. For one reason or another up until now he's been mixed up in the Meth business not really through happy choice. He needed money for his treatment, he got caught up with the wrong people, he needed money for his family etc..... And now, he was given the option of taken 5 million and walking away. He reckons he has no family left anymore and is now an 'Empire Man', but surely he could salvage what little family life he has left by walking away now, returning to his own apartment and setting himself up clean?

Furry feels he's driven by ego, and I think it's partly that, but also by greed and money. Clearly the character was heading in that direction for a long time, but the latest episode is just outright confirmation of this.

I think for Walter, something wicked this way comes.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 314
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 24/8/2012 11:31:50 PM   
furrybastard

It's a very interesting way for the show to go, that's for sure. I don't think even The Sopranos ever went this far with Tony; he always had the justification of 'family' to cover for his actions, despite how tenuous that excuse was. I think Skylar's character was a real issue in the first three seasons for the most part but since season 4 - when she became involved in the business - she has become much more interesting. Her attitude to the criminal side of things was initally parallel to Walt's experiences (she seemed to quite like the power initially, even encouraging Walt in his actions) but it's now in stark contrast after seeing how her actions have affected those around her (putting Ted's life at risk, Hank and Marie and her kids).

Ultimately it doesn't really matter if we like Walt or not. I've never believed that you have to like the main character of a show or film, they just have to be compelling. And Walter White is very, very compelling. I'm not really sure how interested he is in money; I do feel he's more interested in what that money/power does to the perception he has of himself. Walt doesn't seem to like anyone who is physically or intellectually superior to him and goes out of his way to destroy them (Gus Fring, Fring's first chemist who Jessie shoots). He looks down on Jessie and he looks down on Hank. Both of them are smarter than him in a lot of ways (Walt needs Jessie to survive and get him out of trouble but Jessie never really needed Walt).

I just can't wait to see what happens with Hank when he realises what's going on. Only two episodes left until the break.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 315
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 24/8/2012 11:50:45 PM   
paul_ie86

Oh I completely agree about not having to like the lead character, I don't tune in because I like Walt but because I find him fascinating. Just was interested in whether people were still rooting for him.

Post #: 316
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 24/8/2012 11:51:10 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Characters being compelling is absolutely right.

It's why I gave up on The Walking Dead: I just found the characters dull, and ultimately didn't care what happened to them.

I don't know what I want to happen to Walter, but I do care to know what does happen. And that's key.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 317
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 25/8/2012 2:20:29 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

Oh I completely agree about not having to like the lead character, I don't tune in because I like Walt but because I find him fascinating. Just was interested in whether people were still rooting for him.

It's weird though because at times I am still rooting for him. Maybe that says something about me

I got very anxious in that scene between Walter and Mike. I'm not quite sure who to root for there

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 318
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 25/8/2012 7:38:21 AM   
Sway

quote:

I got very anxious in that scene between Walter and Mike. I'm not quite sure who to root for there

Precisely.

All the previous times Walt's life has been in immediate danger I've always rooted for him - this time round I didn't have a bloody clue what to think.

Hats off to Gilligan, the writing of this show is sublime.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 319
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 27/8/2012 7:19:35 AM   
furrybastard

***** SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 7 *************

Well I guess that's my dilemma solved then

Another great episode. I loved how Walt realised how pointless his actions were right at the end and that the whole thing could have been solved so much easier. Mike's scene in the playground with his niece was also fantastic and very, very sad.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 320
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 27/8/2012 12:38:33 PM   
Fit Kisto

SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 7

Fans of Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid will get a kick out the ending to 507.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFxwq33rVAs

Great homage and a fitting send off for the character.

< Message edited by Fit Kisto -- 27/8/2012 12:42:13 PM >

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

Post #: 321
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 27/8/2012 9:29:10 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

quote:

***** SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 7 *************

Well I guess that's my dilemma solved then

Brilliant episode. Haven't felt so tense in an episode of a telly show since Sopranos started to finish up. Interesting to see where things will go from here with part two of season 5 still to come.

Black Jesus!!!:

I rode into town on an ass

Yo mommas ass

Black Jesus!!!!!

Post #: 322
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 27/8/2012 9:45:34 PM   
Captain Black

I think we should all have a minute's silence for the passing of Mike Ehrmantraut.

Two things amongst an episode with lots to mention, but I knew it'd be the end of Mike about midway through when he started to plan his escape. I thought for a moment he'd be gone for good, but of course that is not the central theme of the show: everything Walt touches turns to dust. We lose Mike at the end of an episode where Walt tells Jesse that nobody else has to die.

The ending was so moving that I almost forgot my favourite humours moment of the episode: Gomie's grin (flanked by two stone faced agents) when he collars Mike's lawyer in the vault. So good.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to JAYDAK1SS)
Post #: 323
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 27/8/2012 9:59:13 PM   
Reidy

I think the highlight for me was the opening sequence. 'Say my name.'

Brilliant.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 324
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 27/8/2012 11:51:39 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

I think we should all have a minute's silence for the passing of Mike Ehrmantraut.

Two things amongst an episode with lots to mention, but I knew it'd be the end of Mike about midway through when he started to plan his escape. I thought for a moment he'd be gone for good, but of course that is not the central theme of the show: everything Walt touches turns to dust. We lose Mike at the end of an episode where Walt tells Jesse that nobody else has to die.

The ending was so moving that I almost forgot my favourite humours moment of the episode: Gomie's grin (flanked by two stone faced agents) when he collars Mike's lawyer in the vault. So good.

"Hey." Legendary.

As for the ending. Fuck you Walt.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

Post #: 325
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 28/8/2012 7:52:42 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Mike

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 326
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 28/8/2012 5:18:30 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

In fairness, Mike blames Walt for the whole mess saying his pride is what led him to kill Gus. Gus was going to kill Walt and Jessie after Walt intervened (brilliantly with his car) to stop Jessie shooting the dealers working for Gus.

From there on the two lads days were numbered so Gus had to go really, it wasn't pride so much as survival.

Walt is still a c*nt though.

Black Jesus!!!:

I rode into town on an ass

Yo mommas ass

Black Jesus!!!!!

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 327
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 28/8/2012 8:10:56 PM   
Sway

Fucking hell, I'm genuinely upset about Mike, and although I knew it was coming (but prayed it wouldn't happen) I didn't realise I'd be as gutted as I am. Especially thinking back to the look of anguish in his eyes when having to walk away from his granddaughter without saying anything.

Similarly, Jesse's look of sheer hurt when Walt was being a total cunt to him telling him he had nothing else in his life, hit me hard.

I want to meet Vince Gilligan and thank him for what's unquestionably some of the most amazing tv ever.

(in reply to JAYDAK1SS)
Post #: 328
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 28/8/2012 9:01:02 PM   
Captain Black

Nothing wrong with go-karting or video games either.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 329
RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th - 28/8/2012 10:29:17 PM   
shool

Walt is a freaking imbecile.
Good shout Cap about Walt killing Mike in the very episode where he promises Jesse that no-one else has to die.

Bye Mike. I'm utterly compelled to see how this turns out.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 5 premieres July 15th Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI