Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Green Lantern

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Green Lantern Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Green Lantern - 29/6/2011 10:13:30 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Umm yes, yes it was!

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 241
RE: Green Lantern - 4/7/2011 10:35:30 AM   
Rob

Well I think after two precipitous drop offs at the box office I think we can safely say we won't be seeing a new Green Lantern film any time soon.

I was hoping that better staying power might pave the way for future instalments but given the fact it's grossed just over £100 million in two weeks and has had two successive 60% + declines I just can't see WB moving forward with part two.

The only glimmer of hope is that the international market (yet to open in some major territories) will bring better news but somehow I doubt it.

Oh well!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 242
RE: Green Lantern - 4/7/2011 11:18:13 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I thought it did especially badly over here took just over £2million opening week-end then dropped to 3 barely taking over £1million in it's 2nd, at least it finally crawled over the $100million mark in the US.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 243
RE: Green Lantern - 2/8/2011 5:27:18 PM   
Rob

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168099-warner-bros-president-on-green-lantern-2-and-the-flash

Not a massive amount of news but maybe a glimmer of hope for those of us that want to see a sequel - I think there's about 4 of us at the least count!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 244
RE: Green Lantern - 2/8/2011 7:32:34 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168099-warner-bros-president-on-green-lantern-2-and-the-flash

Not a massive amount of news but maybe a glimmer of hope for those of us that want to see a sequel - I think there's about 4 of us at the least count!

Huzzah!

I want a sequel! And a sequel- if made well- should get a better reception from all the idiots who complained about it being an origins film.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 245
RE: Green Lantern - 2/8/2011 9:08:20 PM   
darth silas

I still find it hard to beleive there will be a sequel.The film was received very badly by critics,underperformed to expectations at the box office,and cost too much to make.A decent sequel would no doubt cost even more and they are looking at diminishing returns based on how the first one did.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 246
RE: Green Lantern - 3/8/2011 12:20:39 AM   
kumar

quote:

According to Warner Bros. film group president Jeff Robinov, however, they are still thinking about moving ahead with a sequel. He tells the Los Angeles Times that "we had a decent opening so we learned there is an audience. To go forward we need to make it a little edgier and darker with more emphasis on action…. And we have to find a way to balance the time the movie spends in space versus on Earth."

lol sounds familiar. Havent seen GL yet, feel a bit sorry for it for not doing so well.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 247
RE: Green Lantern - 3/8/2011 9:14:59 AM   
Marwood

Haven't seen it either but interested to see what their plans are, I also find it strange that they're pushing ahead with a sequel considering this one was so badly received and has been a financial loss for WB based on the worldwide box office vs alleged production costs. Although maybe the home video release will boost the take and give them more of an incentive.

Anyway, the comments from Rubinov raise a smile because from what I can gather the tone wasn't the problem - the consistent criticisms I've read and heard are always that the story arcs are generic, the earth stuff is boring and that the effects were dodgy more often than they were great. Sounds to me like the sequel needs a better/more original story and effects rather than going darker and edgier - I think WB stand a chance of making a better sequel just purely because the first is an origin story and one that apparently has the same beats that we get with every other superhero origin film. Considering how many new superhero flicks get made I think we're all maybe feeling a bit fatigued with the same story template over and over.

Also Rubinov talks about balancing the earth and space stuff but again I keep hearing that the space stuff should take precedent so unless he's talking space 90% and earth 10% I get the feeling he and the writers haven't really listened to the critics or audience and are probably thinking (as inevitably WB probably do about most of their superhero projects in development): "What if we made it more like Batman? Y'know, darker and edgier"

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 248
RE: Green Lantern - 3/8/2011 9:39:22 AM   
Rob

Even as a fan of the film there's no denying it disappointed at the box office and was savaged by critics.

However, I liked it and there are some glimmers of hope to be had. Firstly it has only just opened in some major foreign territories so that should push the final box office to nearer £200 million which is break even (less the marketing push). Obviously this is still nowhere near what WB would have wanted but they could see it as an investment required to get the character out there. Secondly the film was nowhere near as bad as the critics would have people believe and I think a lot of the fans know that meaning they would give the sequel a chance.

Still it would be a brave executive to order a sequel but I hope they do. And let's face it WB are hardly struggling for cash!

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 249
RE: Green Lantern - 3/8/2011 10:14:12 AM   
Marwood

quote:

Even as a fan of the film there's no denying it disappointed at the box office and was savaged by critics.

However, I liked it and there are some glimmers of hope to be had. Firstly it has only just opened in some major foreign territories so that should push the final box office to nearer £200 million which is break even (less the marketing push). Obviously this is still nowhere near what WB would have wanted but they could see it as an investment required to get the character out there. Secondly the film was nowhere near as bad as the critics would have people believe and I think a lot of the fans know that meaning they would give the sequel a chance.

Still it would be a brave executive to order a sequel but I hope they do. And let's face it WB are hardly struggling for cash!

In your opinion. I don't think critics and audience/fan reviews say it sucks just for the hell of it.

It does seem like existing fans have given it more of a chance and are overall less savage or more forgiving but regardless the general audiences and critics seem to have given it a big thumbs down through attendance and reviews and that's really where it needs an actual thumbs up.

Also yes WB are hardly struggling for cash but unless the film actually does make them a profit then what incentive do they have for making a sequel? Like it or not the films are products and if they don't sell then the manufacturers will stop making them. If it had gained a strong positive critical reaction or becomes a cult hit then that goes some way to help a sequel but overall the film has been a failure critically and commercially so far.

I think you're right that the box office could get a boost from foreign territories and again I think maybe the film could do well on DVD/Blu - arguably in a crowded summer it may have suffered in cinemas because of the heavy hitters. While it opened before it I think Transformers 3 was always going to be a problem and swallow up potential GL business, that's probably one reason it faded away after a decent opening weekend.

While I think GL looked poor from the get go I'm still interested in how it plays out because the settings and concepts are genuinely different from what we've seen from superhero films so far and have a lot of potential. Just seems WB have fumbled it by making something more generic or played it too safe, it's the same criticism Marvel have been getting for Thor and Cap but both of them have managed to overcome it with more positive reviews/word of mouth and in Thor's case a worldwide haul just shy of half a billion. Cap probably won't do as well as Thor when all is said and done but is still set to outperform Lantern by a significant amount so it's swings and roundabouts at the moment.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 250
RE: Green Lantern - 3/8/2011 10:45:59 AM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

In your opinion. I don't think critics and audience/fan reviews say it sucks just for the hell of it.

It does seem like existing fans have given it more of a chance and are overall less savage or more forgiving but regardless the general audiences and critics seem to have given it a big thumbs down through attendance and reviews and that's really where it needs an actual thumbs up.

Also yes WB are hardly struggling for cash but unless the film actually does make them a profit then what incentive do they have for making a sequel? Like it or not the films are products and if they don't sell then the manufacturers will stop making them. If it had gained a strong positive critical reaction or becomes a cult hit then that goes some way to help a sequel but overall the film has been a failure critically and commercially so far.

I think you're right that the box office could get a boost from foreign territories and again I think maybe the film could do well on DVD/Blu - arguably in a crowded summer it may have suffered in cinemas because of the heavy hitters. While it opened before it I think Transformers 3 was always going to be a problem and swallow up potential GL business, that's probably one reason it faded away after a decent opening weekend.

While I think GL looked poor from the get go I'm still interested in how it plays out because the settings and concepts are genuinely different from what we've seen from superhero films so far and have a lot of potential. Just seems WB have fumbled it by making something more generic or played it too safe, it's the same criticism Marvel have been getting for Thor and Cap but both of them have managed to overcome it with more positive reviews/word of mouth and in Thor's case a worldwide haul just shy of half a billion. Cap probably won't do as well as Thor when all is said and done but is still set to outperform Lantern by a significant amount so it's swings and roundabouts at the moment.

I certainly don't want to turn this into another Superman Returns debate and I agree it underperformed, was savaged by the critics and the general attendance was poor. However, it had an OK opening meaning fans were keen to see it despite dismal reviews. It also has much better user scores / reviews on Metacritic, Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB than the critics scores / reviews meaning that perhaps it wasn't as bad as the critics would have you believe.

I'm not saying it's a masterpiece - it's not. I'm not saying it's a great film - it's not but did I see enough to make me interested in a sequel - absolutely!

My comment about WB having enough money was actually tongue-in-cheek but it depends on how they view it. Firstly I'm aware that it's a product and it's about the bottom line but sometimes you have to invest in something before you see a profit. I know that very rarely happens in Hollywood but my argument is that perhaps that's how WB should see it. The first film should just about cover it's production costs and the second if done right could turn a profit and maybe even cover any losses from part 1.

However, that's the gamble. Do they take the £100+ million loss (mainly from marketing / distribution) and say we tried and failed or do they say actually we took a bit of a hit with the first one but given a few tweaks here and there we could see a profit on this portfolio. I strongly suspect however, the powers that be will ultimately decide that it lost money which means no sequel especially when you consider how successful Marvel's films have been.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 251
RE: Green Lantern - 3/8/2011 4:38:56 PM   
Marwood

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

I certainly don't want to turn this into another Superman Returns debate and I agree it underperformed, was savaged by the critics and the general attendance was poor. However, it had an OK opening meaning fans were keen to see it despite dismal reviews. It also has much better user scores / reviews on Metacritic, Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB than the critics scores / reviews meaning that perhaps it wasn't as bad as the critics would have you believe.I'm not saying it's a masterpiece - it's not. I'm not saying it's a great film - it's not but did I see enough to make me interested in a sequel - absolutely!

My comment about WB having enough money was actually tongue-in-cheek but it depends on how they view it. Firstly I'm aware that it's a product and it's about the bottom line but sometimes you have to invest in something before you see a profit. I know that very rarely happens in Hollywood but my argument is that perhaps that's how WB should see it. The first film should just about cover it's production costs and the second if done right could turn a profit and maybe even cover any losses from part 1.

However, that's the gamble. Do they take the £100+ million loss (mainly from marketing / distribution) and say we tried and failed or do they say actually we took a bit of a hit with the first one but given a few tweaks here and there we could see a profit on this portfolio. I strongly suspect however, the powers that be will ultimately decide that it lost money which means no sequel especially when you consider how successful Marvel's films have been.

I thought those included critics reviews/scores as well as reader/public opinion and reviews? Anyway, agree not to turn this into a debate because there's different measures of success and like you said you enjoyed the film, also obviously misread your comment about WB's cash

I take your point about how WB see the film's final scores/tally as well, there've been sequels to low/under performing films before so Lantern wouldn't be an exception to the rule there. However given that it's a tentpole film with a massive production a breakeven or meagre return isn't going to convince them. I think it's fair to say reactions to the film have been mixed at the very best so again I don't think there's a huge incentive for them to make a sequel unless it has a slashed budget. That may not be a bad thing but given the type of film I think it could hurt it if it means sacrificing more fantastical/space elements - seeing as that's what a lot of fans are begging for I think it could garner a lot more disappointment.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 252
RE: Green Lantern - 4/8/2011 7:05:05 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Just saw this over at Total Film.

Sounds good to me!

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 253
RE: The Green Lantern - 23/8/2011 12:27:24 AM   
azzman1984

There's gonna be an extended cut of Green Lantern coming out on Blu Ray with 14 mins added footage http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Lantern-Extended-Cut-Blu-ray/dp/B004Q9SZ8K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314055375&sr=8-2

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 254
RE: The Green Lantern - 23/8/2011 5:20:27 PM   
darth silas

Really find it hard to beleive that WB are going to do a sequel.It was the most expensive film of the year and it didnt even make the top ten earners of the year!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to azzman1984)
Post #: 255
RE: The Green Lantern - 23/8/2011 5:38:55 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Really find it hard to beleive that WB are going to do a sequel.It was the most expensive film of the year and it didnt even make the top ten earners of the year!

I don't think they'll committ to anything for a while anyway, it's being developed but hasn't got an official Go so could be shelved just as quickly if they decide to. Wait to see how it does on home release before hearing anything more solid.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 256
RE: The Green Lantern - 23/8/2011 9:53:10 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

looking forward to watching this on blu ray!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 257
RE: The Green Lantern - 23/8/2011 10:01:01 PM   
Rgirvan44

There will not be any sequel to this one. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 258
RE: The Green Lantern - 23/8/2011 10:25:54 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Aha, maybe a reboot introducing Jon Stewart or Kyle Raynor as the new Lantern for this sector? Perhaps in a meta moment Ryan Reynolds will cameo as Hal getting killed in a pre-credit sequence. He fulfills his contractual obligation, the film opens with a bang and a dark twist that could perhaps set the "edgy" tone that the plank Robinov was talking up.

< Message edited by Marwood -- 23/8/2011 10:26:31 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 259
RE: The Green Lantern - 24/8/2011 9:40:37 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I got a tweet saying the B.Ray was gonna have 10mins+ extended? Do you think this was stuff that they were trying to rush through earlier but couldn't get it done in time? If so it could be another Daredevil Directors cut we can only hope.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 260
RE: The Green Lantern - 24/8/2011 10:00:36 AM   
Rob

quote:

Has that been confirmed?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 261
RE: The Green Lantern - 24/8/2011 10:02:16 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

I got a tweet saying the B.Ray was gonna have 10mins+ extended? Do you think this was stuff that they were trying to rush through earlier but couldn't get it done in time? If so it could be another Daredevil Directors cut we can only hope.

The official add on length is 14 minutes I believe

Post #: 262
RE: The Green Lantern - 24/8/2011 10:43:45 AM   
porntrooper

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

I'm really curious about this, can't wait to see it as I missed it in the cinema. It looks like the kind of movie I'll enjoy though, so I'm intrigued to see if it's as bad as people say. I think I'll definately check out the extended cut for my first time though.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 263
RE: The Green Lantern - 24/8/2011 2:04:58 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: porntrooper

quote:

quote:

I'm really curious about this, can't wait to see it as I missed it in the cinema. It looks like the kind of movie I'll enjoy though, so I'm intrigued to see if it's as bad as people say. I think I'll definately check out the extended cut for my first time though.

It's nowhere near as bad as people are saying, okay its very different to Batman Begins or TDK but it was always going to be, the fantastical elements are well handled, Renoylds is as always top value and Strong is great.

Yes, the story sags a little and the adjustment of Hal to GL in the training montage is brief to say the least but it's not a disaster like the reviews would have you believe. Personally, I'd put it on par with Iron Man in terms of quality. Appreciate I might be alone in that view though

(in reply to porntrooper)
Post #: 264
RE: The Green Lantern - 24/8/2011 2:17:42 PM   
porntrooper

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: porntrooper

quote:

quote:

It's nowhere near as bad as people are saying, okay its very different to Batman Begins or TDK but it was always going to be, the fantastical elements are well handled, Renoylds is as always top value and Strong is great.

Yes, the story sags a little and the adjustment of Hal to GL in the training montage is brief to say the least but it's not a disaster like the reviews would have you believe. Personally, I'd put it on par with Iron Man in terms of quality. Appreciate I might be alone in that view though

Interesting. Looking forward to it.

If it's on par with Iron Man I guess that's okay, cos for me Iron Man really doesn't hold up to a rewatch but I remember watching it for the first time in cinema and then on Blu Ray and being really happy with it so if I get that from GL, cool.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 265
RE: The Green Lantern - 25/8/2011 10:08:15 AM   
Wild about Wilder

HELL NO! IT'S NOT EVEN ON A PAR WITH IRON MAN2!
Still I agree somewhat it's not as bad as some say it just could've been so much more considering it was 1 of if not the most exspensive film released this year.

(in reply to porntrooper)
Post #: 266
RE: The Green Lantern - 25/8/2011 11:38:39 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Has that been confirmed?

Yeah,  by the fact it never made its budget back, let alone advertising, in its box office run.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 267
RE: The Green Lantern - 25/8/2011 2:55:01 PM   
azzman1984

The extended cut of Green Lantern is 123 mins long http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/74261/green-lantern-us-in-october.html

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 268
RE: The Green Lantern - 25/8/2011 6:00:44 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

quote:

Has that been confirmed?

Yeah,  by the fact it never made its budget back, let alone advertising, in its box office run.

That's not technically a confirmation though, is it? Considering WB are still talking about a sequel, what you're saying is just what you think will happen.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 269
RE: The Green Lantern - 25/8/2011 6:10:37 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

quote:

Has that been confirmed?

That's not technically a confirmation though, is it? Considering WB are still talking about a sequel, what you're saying is just what you think will happen.

Studios always say they are going to make a sequel when the movie is in release and about to come into home video. No studio is going to say their movie is a stinker at that point and lose even more people from buying stuff. They said it for Friday 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Daredevil etc...

Bottom line is the money. Movie cost 200 million alone. Movie has made 190 million. You think a studio actully wants to invest in a sequel? They are trying to look good about the whole thing.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Green Lantern Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI