Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Green Lantern

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Green Lantern Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Green Lantern - 16/6/2011 9:42:37 AM   
Snake-Eyes

A two-star review by EMPIRE eh? ok well, I don't always take heed. We have a veritable cornucopia of Superhero / Comics Movies this year and so far, THOR didn't really do much for me, I haven't seen X-MEN: FIRST CLASS and I'm only slightly curious about CAPTAIN AMERICA. Being a big fan of the GL comics, I am looking forward to seeing this one (originally, I wasn't too keen but the trailers did look impressive). Besides, I gotta keep myself occupied somehow. But NOT in 3-soddin'-D!!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 211
RE: Green Lantern - 17/6/2011 12:15:22 PM   
Rob

The general consensus from the critics is obviously not very good but I'm still hugely excited to see this and I hope that Reynolds' charm is enough to get it a wider audience. The film may be utter crap but I'm still keen for it to be a success and make enough money for a sequel or two.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 212
RE: Green Lantern - 17/6/2011 4:44:48 PM   
BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

The general consensus from the critics is obviously not very good but I'm still hugely excited to see this and I hope that Reynolds' charm is enough to get it a wider audience. The film may be utter crap but I'm still keen for it to be a success and make enough money for a sequel or two.

Provided they don't have the same writers or Director, which most of the criticism is aimed at.

< Message edited by BatFan -- 17/6/2011 4:45:03 PM >

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 213
RE: Green Lantern - 18/6/2011 1:40:47 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

A two-star review by EMPIRE eh? ok well, I don't always take heed. We have a veritable cornucopia of Superhero / Comics Movies this year and so far, THOR didn't really do much for me, I haven't seen X-MEN: FIRST CLASS and I'm only slightly curious about CAPTAIN AMERICA. Being a big fan of the GL comics, I am looking forward to seeing this one (originally, I wasn't too keen but the trailers did look impressive). Besides, I gotta keep myself occupied somehow. But NOT in 3-soddin'-D!!

Snake,you started a FAVOURITE FILMS thread on Thor! What changed your mind?

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 214
RE: Green Lantern - 19/6/2011 4:56:59 AM   
flyngryter711

I think it's really hard to translate the comic book Green Latern into a live action flick. The film relied heavily on CGI. I felt Ryan Reynolds  was just completely unengaging. It was entertaining but not the best superhero movie I have seen.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 215
RE: Green Lantern - 19/6/2011 9:05:59 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

quote:

Oh no, I only started that thread so that coolstar, Dumbo or whatever the f**k username that person was going by that particular weekend didn't begin a nonsensical conversation, claiming that THOR was 'The BEST film ever made with Effects very good to be making me happy so to do a sex wee' or some such s**t. The more I think about it, THOR sucked as much Lemur c**k as GL did. IRON MAN, INCREDIBLE HULK - all good. No more superhero live-actioners for Snake-Eyes for the mo. Unless my old pal Guillermo cooks up HELLBOY 3.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 216
RE: Green Lantern - 19/6/2011 12:56:21 PM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh no, I only started that thread so that coolstar, Dumbo or whatever the f**k username that person was going by that particular weekend didn't begin a nonsensical conversation, claiming that THOR was 'The BEST film ever made with Effects very good to be making me happy so to do a sex wee' or some such s**t. The more I think about it, THOR sucked as much Lemur c**k as GL did. IRON MAN, INCREDIBLE HULK - all good. No more superhero live-actioners for Snake-Eyes for the mo. Unless my old pal Guillermo cooks up HELLBOY 3.

Well i enjoyed Thor.You shouldnt give up on comic book flicks yet Snake,Captain America is shaping up very nicely and it will be interesting to see a WW2 superhero adventure.Superman:Man Of Steel should be a big improvement on the dud that was Returns and i guarantee you will not be able to resist the prospect of so many marvel heroes joining forces in The Avengers next year.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 217
RE: Green Lantern - 19/6/2011 6:50:19 PM   
azzman1984

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well i enjoyed Thor.You shouldnt give up on comic book flicks yet Snake,Captain America is shaping up very nicely and it will be interesting to see a WW2 superhero adventure.Superman:Man Of Steel should be a big improvement on the dud that was Returns and i guarantee you will not be able to resist the prospect of so many marvel heroes joining forces in The Avengers next year.

I agree with darth, don't give up on watching superhero movies just yet, i think should check out Captain America with an open mind and maybe u will be impressed and of course the big pay off that is The Avengers next summer and no way u could not resist that film.

Post #: 218
RE: Green Lantern - 20/6/2011 9:45:36 AM   
Rob

I really enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect but still better than the reviews give it credit for. I'm guessing the box office will dictate whether or not we get a part two but would you guys go an see further instalments? Snake - I'm guessing not!

There's so much that can be done with the character and the concept and I'd be hugely disappointed if we weren't given another chance to explore it. Sinestro's arc, the emotional spectrum, John Stewart, Guy, Kyle et al they really could go anywhere with it.

I'd certainly keep all the principle cast - Reynolds was great and although Lively didn't have a lot to do she certainly wasn't terrible. However, the script needs to be much stronger and I think a change of director would need to be on the cards as well.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to azzman1984)
Post #: 219
RE: Green Lantern - 20/6/2011 10:23:20 AM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

I really enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect but still better than the reviews give it credit for. I'm guessing the box office will dictate whether or not we get a part two but would you guys go an see further instalments? Snake - I'm guessing not!

There's so much that can be done with the character and the concept and I'd be hugely disappointed if we weren't given another chance to explore it. Sinestro's arc, the emotional spectrum, John Stewart, Guy, Kyle et al they really could go anywhere with it.

I'd certainly keep all the principle cast - Reynolds was great and although Lively didn't have a lot to do she certainly wasn't terrible. However, the script needs to be much stronger and I think a change of director would need to be on the cards as well.

While I haven't seen it (and will probably wait for a LoveFilm rental tbh) I agree that there's plenty of potential for really opening up the universe now that the origin story is done. Reviews haven't been too kind but I think a lot of it is being jaded to origin stories seeing as Hal's in the film seems very much a mish mash of others that have already been seen.

Anyway regarding the box office: http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3190&p=.htm

Behind Thor and X-Men but not a bad debut at all in the states so if it has a good bow worldwide then it should make a comfortable profit, although with Transformers 3 arriving in a couple of weeks I think it will take a big hit then so it will need legs to really justify a franchise to WB. Makes me wonder what effect this will have on Captain America too.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 220
RE: Green Lantern - 20/6/2011 10:36:38 AM   
shanyi

Saw this over the weekend. To quote what I said in the reviews thread: "Despite minimal expectations from the trailer and the subsequently awful reviews, this wasn't terrible, just completely unexceptional. Its problems are shared with almost every other modern superhero movie of the non-Batman/X-Men variety, in that it's incredibly formulaic and tries to cram way too much mythology into 100 minutes, to the detriment of character and plot. It looks good (very colourful) and the action is okay, but lacks a notable strength to offset its flaws in the same way that Iron Man was carried by Robert Downey Jr. Ryan Reynolds tries his hardest, but the useless script doesn't give him much."

I think Empire got it right with 2/5. There was nothing I hated about the movie, but just found the whole thing particularly uninspired. Like Blake Lively, it looked good, but didn't show many signs of life. (Ironically, I suppose, considering her name).

LATEST FROM MY BLOG

Green Lantern review

Kung-Fu Panda 2 review

X-Men First Class review

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 221
RE: Green Lantern - 20/6/2011 10:38:30 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I'm thinking of waiting till after the weekend in future so as I don't help average films over inflate their opening box-office.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 222
RE: Green Lantern - 20/6/2011 10:49:40 AM   
Rob

I don't think 52,000,000 is that impressive though. It might sound like a ridiculous thing to say and whilst WB will be relieved that it wasn't worse given the reviews it will be nowhere near what they wanted. Given that studios very rarely publish all the information on production budget, market budget and their agreements with the cinemas it's never an exact science predicting at what point the film will turn a profit but I reckon it needs to make around 450 / 500 million worldwide for us to see a sequel. Even then they could be extremely wary due to the negative press the film received.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 223
RE: Green Lantern - 20/6/2011 1:30:14 PM   
Rgirvan44

It is on course to make about the same as the Fantastic Four films.

Only problem is it cost twice as much as those films.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 224
RE: Green Lantern - 21/6/2011 12:01:46 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Yeah forgot U have 2 factor 3D screenings in also so probably more like $48million in real terms.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 225
RE: Green Lantern - 21/6/2011 3:16:27 PM   
The Hooded Man

Superman Returns made over $390m worldwide and that was with a budget of 270m. That wasn't enough to get a sequel greenlit and you have to take into account that there was no 3D screenings to hike up takings either. It'll take a massive turnaround for Green Lantern to beat even those figures, given the fact that outside of America that Green Lantern has next to no presence with audiences like the character of Superman had then it's extremely unlikely we'll see a sequel.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

Post #: 226
RE: Green Lantern - 22/6/2011 9:31:37 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Yeah but that was actually a good film, also not the greatest UK opening at just over 2million considering it didn't have advanced previews?

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 227
RE: Green Lantern - 22/6/2011 1:14:19 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Superman Returns made over $390m worldwide and that was with a budget of 270m. That wasn't enough to get a sequel greenlit and you have to take into account that there was no 3D screenings to hike up takings either. It'll take a massive turnaround for Green Lantern to beat even those figures, given the fact that outside of America that Green Lantern has next to no presence with audiences like the character of Superman had then it's extremely unlikely we'll see a sequel.

I know they've said its a separate beast entirely, but I wouldn't be surprised if they simply moved Reynold's Green Lantern over to the JLA film franchise, and had him in that. The next Batman, as in the one that isn't Bale, will no doubt be spun off from the JLA movie too. I can easily see the JLA film taking off from where GL ends.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 22/6/2011 1:17:30 PM >

Post #: 228
RE: Green Lantern - 22/6/2011 2:23:47 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Yeah but that was actually a good film, also not the greatest UK opening at just over 2million considering it didn't have advanced previews?

Not to get into yet another debate about SR but it was a lot better reviewed and (I might be wrong) I believe had a stronger opening than GL when adjusting for inflation. Audience word of mouth was mixed though and I think that cut its legs away, however given Superman is a huge pop culture icon you'd expect a better bow or overall box office because he's so well known, although I guess that can work against a film too though if general audiences don't like the character or previous films. Either way SR "underperformed" in WBs eyes so no sequel and I guess GL could have a similar fate if it fails to make a dent in the box office over the coming weeks. Don't forget DVD/Blu Ray sales though, if a film is an underachiever upon theatrical release it could still be a big hit on the home market.

I'm also in agreement with Adam regarding Reynolds' GL appearing in a JL film. If GL underperforms but next year's Batman and Superman films do big business I think Warners will still push ahead with a JL film featuring Reynolds, a rebooted Batman and others. Whether the new Superman features is questionable as I was under the impression that Man of Steel is supposed to be standalone very much like Nolan's Batman films. Anyway, given that he's consistently been the best reviewed thing about the film I think Reynolds' GL will be seen again. Others are speculating that GL's arguable failure will cause WB to rethink their other properties and while that may be true I think they'll still get a JL film made (particularly if The Avengers shows them the mileage of a team film featuring well knowns and not so well knowns).

Plus after this year they've got a Harry Potter shaped hole in their returns to fill and DC superheroes could be the way forward providing they make good films out of them. From reviews GL has been a misstep in a lot of ways but that doesn't necessarilly mean a 180 turn on the others they're developing. The Incredible Hulk wasn't much of a hit but Marvel carried on regardless with their development of other films because they had Iron Man as an established hit character on screen and confidence in their products. Thor has made nearly 450 mil worldwide and for a less well known character that ain't bad at all. So regardless of how bad GL or if it ends up as a box office failure is WB should see it as a lesson and make better films for the rest of their characters, not derail everything else unless it's Batman or Superman.

< Message edited by Marwood -- 22/6/2011 2:26:50 PM >

Post #: 229
RE: Green Lantern - 22/6/2011 2:48:13 PM   
The Hooded Man

Wasn't the point though that Green Lantern was seen as a litmus test for the second tier, at least in public persona, DC characters. The success of Superman and Batman films would be comparable to the Spider-Man and X-Men franchises. It's not really fair to compare Green Lantern to the Incredible Hulk because this was the first out the gate for the new expanded DC Universe, the Marvel equivalent is Iron Man and GL looks to be a long way short of that. This could have big implications for The Flash for example, would Marvel have pressed ahead with Thor and Captain America if Iron Man hadn't been a huge success?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 230
RE: Green Lantern - 22/6/2011 4:25:49 PM   
Marwood

quote:

Wasn't the point though that Green Lantern was seen as a litmus test for the second tier, at least in public persona, DC characters. The success of Superman and Batman films would be comparable to the Spider-Man and X-Men franchises. It's not really fair to compare Green Lantern to the Incredible Hulk because this was the first out the gate for the new expanded DC Universe, the Marvel equivalent is Iron Man and GL looks to be a long way short of that. This could have big implications for The Flash for example, would Marvel have pressed ahead with Thor and Captain America if Iron Man hadn't been a huge success?

True.

In retrospect I think they should have started with a JL film to be honest to introduce those other lesser known characters and then spin them off into individual films.The presence of Batman and Superman would probably have contributed to JL's success alone and it could act as a better gauge of how well the public responds to the other characters rather than staggered films first which could underperform or bomb. The X-Men films were big hits and Wolverine got his spinoffs (even though the first one was shite) from being part of an ensemble of superheroes (even if he was the nominal lead in the 2000 film).

Post #: 231
RE: Green Lantern - 22/6/2011 6:09:30 PM   
darth silas

quote:

If Iron Man hadnt been a huge success i still think Marvel would press ahead with their other superhero properties like Thor and Captain America.Just because one part of their overall franchise doesnt work wouldnt necessarily mean their others wouldnt.I dont think any of these movies are capable of flopping and Marvel will always make money off them.

Post #: 232
RE: Green Lantern - 23/6/2011 9:35:32 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I think the Flash would stand a better chance as is more well known also gets refrenced on things like Big Bang Theory & Paul also after BatMan & Spider-Man has easily the best line up of Villans as long as they don't go mental on the writer front like they did with GL talk about too many Cooks, they just need Johns .

Post #: 233
RE: Green Lantern - 23/6/2011 4:50:07 PM   
JIm R

I think the film works to be honest having seen it, but I do think they chose the wrong director, they need a younger man next time, Campbell, although a fine director admitted to having no prior knowledge of the character and his enthusiam for the genre seemed minimal.

You need a Vaughn or a Faverau for this kind of film.

Post #: 234
RE: Green Lantern - 24/6/2011 9:33:20 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Hate to mention it as it was in the rival mag but reding the interview in T.F he said the 3D conversion was started without his knowledge & that he didn't really like it & had nothing to do with it. So it sort of makes sense that if the right hands not telling the left anything that it'll end up a bit of a mess.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 235
RE: Green Lantern - 27/6/2011 10:27:25 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Well, I saw it yesterday, and I have to admit that I loved it. With all the bad press it's been getting, I was expecting a Catwoman scale catastrophe.

I didn't think the effects were bad at all, and the people who are saying there was too much CGI are just being daft. When they're watching a film where a ring creates things out of energy created by will, how did they expect it to happen if not with CGI? The only thing I didn't like was the mask, it still looked dodgy as hell, but I think the suit itself looked fine.

Ryan Reynolds was great, Blake Lively was a nice surprise (I was very wary of her to begin with) though she didn't get that much screen time so I can't decide whether she would be able to pull off the transition to Star Sapphire if they chose to go down that route. Peter Sarsgard played Hector Hammond very well and I actually really liked Parralax.

I must point out that I had no prior knowledge of Green Lantern before this film was announced. I'm pretty much a Marvel fan, but when I heard Ryan Reynolds had been cast in this, I did a bit of reading on the history and found it all very interesting. I think the film was really good from th epoint of view of someone who hasn't followed the comics. They set up the history of Oa and the Corps, they gave us the backstory of Hal and they brought it all together without it feeling too bogged down.

Two stars definitely feels like a very harsh rating.

Oh, and according to Total Film, there may still be a sequel!

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 236
RE: Green Lantern - 28/6/2011 9:59:51 AM   
Rob

Yeah I've heard that WB are still keen to pursue the franchise.

It's good to hear that as a non-GL fan you enjoyed it. I think the film succeeded in it's intentions of laying the ground-work for the mythology to come and telling a reasonably entertaining story. By no means do I think it's perfect or the greatest GL story ever told but I think with a few bold decisions there's reason enough to think that future instalments could really work.

What they must do is learn from their mistakes though!

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 237
RE: Green Lantern - 28/6/2011 10:36:03 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I think if they'd have stopped faffing about on doing 3D in post-production & worked a bit more on the things that needed to be done it would've been a much better film, perhaps they'll drop the 3D add on next time & with it the extra cost!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 238
RE: Green Lantern - 28/6/2011 11:02:46 AM   
Rob

I didn't actually see it in 3D but I'm not a fan so keeping it simple works for me. For me the issues I would address are:

Script - wasn't the best by any shot. Maybe something got lost in the editing room or Campbell rushed parts but it definitely needs some work.

Director - Campbell can be a really good director but he just wasn't on form in my opinion. The drama was a bit off and the action was quite generic. Scenes that should have dazzled (OA training, visiting OA) went by far too quickly.

Marketing - Crappy first trailer didn't help and it seems as though they then released a new trailer every other day.

Release date - Cars 2 a week after, Transformers 3 the week after meant that even with a much higher opening the drop-off would have still been pretty severe.

Keep Reynolds, keep Strong, get a different director (not sure who just at the moment), focus on a universe spanning epic and forget earth and get someone to write a decent script.

Post #: 239
RE: Green Lantern - 28/6/2011 11:25:50 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Yeah but that was actually a good film...

No. No it wasn't.

:)

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Green Lantern Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI