Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Green Lantern

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Green Lantern Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Green Lantern - 14/6/2011 10:52:11 AM   
Rob

It certainly doesn't give off the best impression. Apparently the embargo is now Friday i.e. no reviews critic reviews will be released before the films opening.

The film might be amazing or it might be terrible but certainly the way WB are handling this doesn't inspire confidence. Also, and at the risk of sounding like a pathetic fan-boy, I still can't book tickets. Surely if they are worried about the film they should get people booking ASAP?

I'm still looking forward to it and will be there on opening day (assuming I can actually book it)

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 181
RE: Green Lantern - 14/6/2011 12:40:07 PM   
Wild about Wilder

It is a Warner Bros film & they've had a history of doing this in the past (e.g Batman4) with films they've been worried about but it doesn't work now days as everyone's onto it.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 182
RE: Green Lantern - 14/6/2011 1:50:41 PM   
Rob

Well it's a review but hardly comprehensive:

http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/89557/green-lantern.html

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 183
RE: Green Lantern - 14/6/2011 3:18:52 PM   
BatFan

All that review seems to say is that he liked the outer space stuff more than the earth stuff and that the romance between Reynolds and Lively isn't that great. Don't know why that deserves two stars, he doesn't even go into any in-depth detail.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 184
RE: Green Lantern - 14/6/2011 3:50:07 PM   
Rob

I'm probably going to regret saying this but I don't see how bad it can be. Campbell is a reliable director, Reynolds has charm to spare and Strong is always fantastic.

There may be issues with the effects, there may be issues with fidelty to the source material and it may not quite all come together but I can't imagine it being a truly terrible film....god I hope those words don't come back to haunt me!

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 185
RE: Green Lantern - 14/6/2011 5:05:09 PM   
BatFan

I'm expecting something along the lines of tone and quality of the first Spiderman film. Light-hearted, occasionally cartoony (in the good sense) fun, which is entertaining. If it's anything more than that then brilliant if it's less than that then i'll be pretty sad as i've wanted to see a Green Lantern film for years now.

Post #: 186
RE: Green Lantern - 14/6/2011 5:09:41 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Well it's a review but hardly comprehensive:

http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/89557/green-lantern.html

It's a poorly wriiten review by someone who clearly knows f*ck all about the characters or genre. Ignore and wait for some decent insight.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 187
RE: Green Lantern - 14/6/2011 5:14:15 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Rob, which cinema are you trying to book at? I can book at my local Cineworld online, so I don't know why other cinemas wouldn't be able to book.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 188
RE: Green Lantern - 14/6/2011 5:30:22 PM   
Rob

Maybe I'm just being a total muppett but I just assumed that the Odeon in Wimbledon would have it which doesn't appear to be the case. However, up until this afternoon it wasn't allowing me to book it at any Odeon at all. That's changed now but it's not on a Wimbledon so I guess I'm heading into town!

EDIT:

Booked!

< Message edited by Rob -- 14/6/2011 5:40:38 PM >

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 189
RE: Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 12:23:08 AM   
BatFan

Read two reviews from proper critics. One from the village voice who didn't like it and one from Total Film who gave it 2 stars.

Post #: 190
RE: Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 12:53:44 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

Read two reviews from proper critics. One from the village voice who didn't like it and one from Total Film who gave it 2 stars.

For a film to be embargoed this late on is never a good sign. I haven't even been invited to a press screening, I'll be seeing it Friday morning at a regular screening in order to get my review up in time for the weekend (I'm really looking forward to it personally).

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 15/6/2011 12:56:06 AM >

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 191
RE: Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 12:56:28 AM   
BatFan

Fuck! I really wanted this to be good and for Warner Brothers to show they can do a superhero film which isn't Batman or Superman.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 192
RE: Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 1:12:36 AM   
Rgirvan44

Can't believe that me and Silas are in agreement here - from the very first trailer I have thought this movie looked crap. Nothing has made me change my mind - there is just something "off" about the whole thing.

And when Reynolds actully says the oath with that attempt at being gruff at the end? Cringe.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 193
RE: Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 9:28:14 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I'll wait till i've seen it before I give my full verdict BUT! what had me worried at the time was the last minute reshoots & touching up which is never a good sign.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 194
RE: Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 10:19:32 AM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Can't believe that me and Silas are in agreement here - from the very first trailer I have thought this movie looked crap. Nothing has made me change my mind - there is just something "off" about the whole thing.

And when Reynolds actully says the oath with that attempt at being gruff at the end? Cringe.

Haha I loved that part. It actually gave me goose-bumps. God I'm sad!

I still can't wait.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 195
snooze - 15/6/2011 10:20:21 AM   
ovverbruv

Still no review, you guys are getting bad at getting early reviews posted, Total Film have scooped you again

Post #: 196
RE: snooze - 15/6/2011 11:21:24 AM   
thatlittlemonkey

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=135354

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to ovverbruv)
Post #: 197
RE: snooze - 15/6/2011 11:49:24 AM   
Rob

And here's another:

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/nol_showbiz/nolcelebrity_movies/1321733/Green-Lantern-review-by-Robbie-Collin.html

I have an irrational hatred of Robbie Collin and don't give a toss about his review but this article actually made me laugh. It is however, the fourth straight negative review in a row!

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 198
RE: snooze - 15/6/2011 12:30:45 PM   
BatFan

I posted this in the review thread but thought i would bring it up here

In every review i've read so far they have been negative but the criticism doesn't gel with the rating, most people are giving it a 2 star rating but when it comes to criticising the film none of the reviews read like a two star review, they have disappointment and things wrong with it but nothing that would warrant a two star rating.
Maybe the films so bad it can't be put into words but I just find it really weird.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 199
RE: snooze - 15/6/2011 12:49:03 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

quote:

And here's another:

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/nol_showbiz/nolcelebrity_movies/1321733/Green-Lantern-review-by-Robbie-Collin.html

I have an irrational hatred of Robbie Collin and don't give a toss about his review but this article actually made me laugh. It is however, the fourth straight negative review in a row!

There is nothing irrational about hating Robbie Collin. The man's a twunt of the highest order, I can feel my own IQ dropping when I read his reviews.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 200
RE: snooze - 15/6/2011 1:16:13 PM   
Rob

Finally...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10732434

3/5 stars! They love it! Well not quite but 3 stars feels like a win right now!

Post #: 201
RE: snooze - 15/6/2011 1:20:47 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: thatlittlemonkey

quote:

And here's another:

There is nothing irrational about hating Robbie Collin. The man's a twunt of the highest order, I can feel my own IQ dropping when I read his reviews.

Same here! I've read a fair amount of his reviews where, afterwards, I've had to wonder if he actually saw the same film I did. So many times he gets bits about characters or plots wrong, I wonder why he bothers.

Overall, I've stopped reading reviews before I see a film because I can never be sure they won't ruin something for me. I'm not worried that Empire and Total Film both gave it two stars, because I've disagreed with their ratings on A LOT of films lately.

Still can't wait to see this.

Oh, Rob, I like the bit where he goes gruff right at the end of the oath, too. I got the impression it was because he'd just summoned something huge to fight with.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 202
RE: snooze - 15/6/2011 1:22:14 PM   
Marwood

quote:

I posted this in the review thread but thought i would bring it up here

In every review i've read so far they have been negative but the criticism doesn't gel with the rating, most people are giving it a 2 star rating but when it comes to criticising the film none of the reviews read like a two star review, they have disappointment and things wrong with it but nothing that would warrant a two star rating.
Maybe the films so bad it can't be put into words but I just find it really weird.

Maybe for these reviewers what they see as bad is really bad but it still has enough good to keep it from being terrible in their eyes or has lots of great stuff but the bad drags it down, therefore their actual reviews focus more on one area being good/bad but there's stuff that drags it down/elevates it and they're just not being very comprehensive or balanced in what they're writing? I suppose if they're pushed for word count and something sticks with them they'll give that more focus so whether it's good or bad it gets the most words but doesn't reflect what their overall opinion of the film is - that's just a bad review I think.

The reviews I've read seem to have the same general comments as most of Thor's did - earth stuff is overfamiliar/dull and the film really shines with the harder sci-fi/off world stuff. Sounds more like a solid 3 out of 5 than anything else but the reviews are possibly a bit misleading.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 203
RE: Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 1:33:58 PM   
BatFan

Yeah, they also seem to be complaining about it being an origin film, so maybe this is the critics saying enough is enough with Origin films, just make a proper film. This is just a guess but if it is true it doesn't bode to well for Captain America or next year with The Spiderman and Superman reboots.
I personally like origin stories but whatever.

Post #: 204
RE: snooze - 15/6/2011 2:01:15 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

Still can't wait to see this.

Oh, Rob, I like the bit where he goes gruff right at the end of the oath, too. I got the impression it was because he'd just summoned something huge to fight with.

Excellent. I'm still really looking forward to it too. I don't expect it to be Dark Knight standard but I'm just really looking forward to seeing GL, Oa and the Guardians brought to life.

Post #: 205
RE: snooze - 15/6/2011 2:45:41 PM   
Timon

If I'm honest this was the blockbuster I was most looking forward to, despite its difficult material. The idea of an intergalatic police corp really intrigued me and if the idea of a 'magic ring' was a bit silly, I was hoping Campbell would inject some realism into it.

However I wasn't really won over with the CGI suit and Oa just looked like one big blue screen set a la the Star Wars prequels.

Still, I hope it isn't AS bad as everyone says. It does look quite... generic though.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 206
RE: snooze - 15/6/2011 3:54:22 PM   
Marwood

Something a bit more in depth review wise but not inspiring, gets a little spoilery too so read at your own risk:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/review-awkward-uneven-green-lantern-packs-no-punch

A shame because while this was my least anticipated of the superhero films this summer I still hope it works so it opens doors for the sub genre, I think Thor just about pulled it off but the early word on this one isn't inspiring.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 207
RE: snooze - 15/6/2011 4:21:17 PM   
Rob

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/117/1175316p1.html

Up until this the reviews haven't bothered me too much but it's disappointing to hear that even a "genre" website like IGN wasn't impressed. It seems that the script, editing and pacing of the film are poor but at least Reynolds isn't the focal point of the blame. I was delighted when he was cast and it's a shame that by the sound of things the material has let him down.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 208
RE: Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 5:47:05 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

Yeah, they also seem to be complaining about it being an origin film, so maybe this is the critics saying enough is enough with Origin films, just make a proper film. This is just a guess but if it is true it doesn't bode to well for Captain America or next year with The Spiderman and Superman reboots.
I personally like origin stories but whatever.

I don't understand the hatred for origins films, especially with something like Green Lantern, who's a little bit less well known than some of the other superheroes. In my opinion, he needs an origin film more than Wolverine did. Otherwise, how do they expect to pull in anyone who hasn't read the comics? They can't just expect those people to not want any explanation about who he is or anything like that.

quote:

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/117/1175316p1.html

Up until this the reviews haven't bothered me too much but it's disappointing to hear that even a "genre" website like IGN wasn't impressed. It seems that the script, editing and pacing of the film are poor but at least Reynolds isn't the focal point of the blame. I was delighted when he was cast and it's a shame that by the sound of things the material has let him down.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm still not reading any reviews, but I'd hate for Reynolds to carry all the blame if the film is really as bad as people seem to think it is. I think he's a fantastic actor, who has a broader range than people give him credit for, and it's been clear from the start that he's really enthusiastic about the character and the world.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 209
RE: Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 6:04:17 PM   
BatFan

Yeah at first when Reynolds was in the running I was like 'No way, he's trying to be deadpool, they'll never get him' Then he was cast and I thought maybe he was taking the role just for the paycheque and to make him a bigger name, perhaps so he could get Deadpool made. But in interviews over and over again he consistently shows how much he really likes the character and the universe. He really doesn't deserve to be in bad films.
Seems like the blame will be mostly laid at the writers and director. Looks like Martin Campbell picked the wrong film press conference to call Quantum Of Solace 'lousy' and all over the place.

< Message edited by BatFan -- 15/6/2011 6:05:10 PM >

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Green Lantern Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI