Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Green Lantern

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Green Lantern Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Green Lantern - 4/5/2011 8:06:21 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

looks great! i want the blu ray now!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 151
RE: Green Lantern - 4/5/2011 8:15:45 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

looks great! i want the blu ray now!

Donavan,when it comes to films,is whether the film looks great or not all that matters to you? Do little things like good storytelling,acting,dialogue and such not really matter to you? No offense intended,you are entitled to like what you like but to say you want the blu ray before youve even seen if the film is any good...

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 152
RE: Green Lantern - 4/5/2011 8:29:03 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

well i like movies filled with lots of action, based on the trailers i dont think anyone can deny that Green Lantern is a contender! I won't be seeing it at the cinema so it'll be a blind buy.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 153
RE: Green Lantern - 4/5/2011 11:55:03 PM   
darth silas

quote:

well i like movies filled with lots of action, based on the trailers i dont think anyone can deny that Green Lantern is a contender! I won't be seeing it at the cinema so it'll be a blind buy.

Why not go see it at the cinema? It looks like your kinda thing so may as well see it on the big screen where it's intended to be seen.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

Post #: 154
RE: Green Lantern - 5/5/2011 12:44:02 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

no i prefer to watch movies at home where i have full control over the conditions and company.

Post #: 155
RE: Green Lantern - 5/5/2011 8:44:30 AM   
Marwood

quote:

no i prefer to watch movies at home where i have full control over the conditions and company.

How about a rental? If it turns out to be dreck then at least you won't have lost as much as you would on a blind buy.

Unfortunately the more I see of the film the more I'm thinking it's going to suck, even the effects aren't impressing. I'd like it to succeed because it looks like a departure from the standard superhero model (even though it is an origin story) and like Thor opens up the cosmic side of what these films can explore. Thor is great and for the same reasons I hope it does really well at the box office but both it and GL are hardly slam dunks, GL doesn't look like a bigger risk as such but the footage/trailers imo has ranged from so-so to just plain bad. Still, Mark Strong as Sinestro should make up for any shortcomings.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

Post #: 156
RE: Green Lantern - 5/5/2011 9:49:56 AM   
Rob

I think whatever happens it's going to be a really interesting year for comic-book movies. There seems to be a real divide in what people are excited about. I love Captain America and have read the comics for over 20 years and yet nothing I've seen from the trailers so far has impressed me that much at all. Green Lantern however, looks fantastic as far as I'm concerned. I appreciate that it's an effects heavy film with lots of green screen work which isn't ideal but they seem to have stayed really close to the books for the feel of Kilowog, Sinestro and other core members. I think Reynolds is perfect for the role so I couldn't be more excited about this one.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 157
RE: Green Lantern - 5/5/2011 11:38:56 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

How about a rental? If it turns out to be dreck then at least you won't have lost as much as you would on a blind buy.

Why is everyone so concerned about how i choose to watch this film? I'll be buying it straight out and that's that!

I don't rent movies

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 158
RE: Green Lantern - 5/5/2011 11:44:31 AM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

I think whatever happens it's going to be a really interesting year for comic-book movies. There seems to be a real divide in what people are excited about. I love Captain America and have read the comics for over 20 years and yet nothing I've seen from the trailers so far has impressed me that much at all. Green Lantern however, looks fantastic as far as I'm concerned. I appreciate that it's an effects heavy film with lots of green screen work which isn't ideal but they seem to have stayed really close to the books for the feel of Kilowog, Sinestro and other core members. I think Reynolds is perfect for the role so I couldn't be more excited about this one.

I've kind of been getting that with Cap too, the trailer highpoints really have just been the look of the period settings (very Indy/Rocketeer) whereas the action has been very brief and quick cut so there's not really been much of a sense of how these sequences play out. I know trailers are by their nature only there for glimpses of the film but the Cap one has been a bit more disjointed than the Thor or GL ones.

You're definitely right about it being an interesting year for them, I don't think of the big four over the summer any are the sort of mold we've come to expect and there is a divide. Personally of them I've only been looking forward to Thor and Cap, GL so far hasn't really caught my imagination and any Fox X-Men film these days tends to look good but be a complete mess. I want them all to succeed but I do get the feeling that at least one of them could underperform or outright bomb, if I was a betting man I'd say that Cap will be a big earner in the US territories but will do average at best overseas, Thor and GL will both likely open in the middle ground and live or die on word of mouth and First Class will open big (the X-Men brand still seems to be quite massive to the average joe) but drop quite quickly unless word of mouth is great.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 159
RE: Green Lantern - 7/5/2011 1:56:20 PM   
Wild about Wilder

I fear for G.L as it seems to be coming out in probably the busiest part of the summer where there's 1 blockbuster a week so if you don't hit your target on the opening weekend your basicly "FUCKED!"

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 160
RE: Green Lantern - 9/5/2011 3:20:41 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

I fear for G.L as it seems to be coming out in probably the busiest part of the summer where there's 1 blockbuster a week so if you don't hit your target on the opening weekend your basicly "FUCKED!"

True, Thor has opened quite big in the US and doing ok worldwide but I think it could have been a different story if it had opened later. To be honest I was wondering if it would actually beat Fast 5 seeing as that's been doing ridiculously well, although Thor has also been getting mostly good or great reviews so that must have helped. Put it this way, my Mum has no interest in superhero films (and only vaguely remembers Thor from my comics days) but having seen a couple of trailers/reviews and seen Kenneth Branagh/Anthony Hopkins' inclusion she's looking forward to seeing it.

The fact it's doing so well shows I hope that general audiences are up for some more fantasy/sci-fi elements in their superhero cheese at the moment but whether GL repeats or betters that success is still debatable, a better indicator I guess is whether it has legs or suffers a massive drop off in the US next weekend.

I think GL will probably open well with Thor numbers or above but then take a big hit when Transformers 3 is released tbh.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 161
RE: Green Lantern - 9/5/2011 5:27:35 PM   
darth silas

Just watched the second official trailer and im still not sold.It looks fairly naff to be honest and the cgi looks very poor and cartoony to me.That suit on GL just doesnt look right and im not really a fan of Reynolds.

Will give it a miss methinks unless the reviews are outstandingly good.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 162
RE: Green Lantern - 11/5/2011 7:38:07 PM   
musht

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=77444

I like Sarsgaard but actually are Hammond's powers, please tell me he's not just super intelligent or something

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

Post #: 163
RE: Green Lantern - 12/5/2011 9:41:41 AM   
Rob

Well in the comics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Hammond#Powers_and_abilities

Basically he gets a massive heed and has telepathic / telekinetic powers.

Possible Spoilers

However, in the movie I think he becomes infected by Parallax which I'm guessing is where he'll get his powers from.

If you haven't read GL Secret Origin you should because it's brilliant and by all accounts the movie is based on it to some degree. Might be worth waiting until you;ve seen it though!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 164
RE: Green Lantern - 9/6/2011 11:03:48 AM   
Rob

Is it odd that you can't book tickets for this yet? I would have thought it would have been in the Imax in London but whilst the box office for Transformers is open there is no mention of Green Lantern.

I could be worrying about nothing but seeing as it's out next week I want to get booking!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 165
RE: Green Lantern - 9/6/2011 12:25:53 PM   
BatFan

It's not showing in Imax in London, I don't know why, same thing happened with Thor, released in Imax in America but here it's just regular cinemas.
I'm guessing because there's only 1 Imax screen in London they cant show as many films as they do in Imax cinemas in America where (presumably) there's more screens.

I'm just hoping my local cineworld does a digital screening that isn't in 3D. If not i'll just be seeing it on a regular screen, fuck post conversion.

The thing we should worry about is the fact there's been no reviews yet. It's been shown to critics this week but we haven't seen any reviews from them yet. The only reviews i've seen are some twitter reactions from regular people who must have seen a preview screening or something. While they were overwhelmingly positive, they sound like they were written by retards so i'm not totally convinced yet. I really want this film to be great and to succeed at the box office, I could deal with every single other film this summer being rubbish if it meant Green Lantern being good, because it has so much potential.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 166
RE: Green Lantern - 9/6/2011 2:41:51 PM   
Rob

Apparently there's a review embargo until 12th June. I think that's pretty normal for films like this though isn't it. I really want this to be good but I'm a bit worried to be honest.

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 167
RE: Green Lantern - 9/6/2011 5:43:57 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I'm not as worried now as I was when the very first trailer came out. They've really improved the effects and I think it looks really great now.

I'me just trying to decide whether or not to see it in 3D. Was it converted to 3D afterwards, rather than being filmed in 3D then?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 168
RE: Green Lantern - 9/6/2011 6:18:17 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

still looks amazing! I'll say it again, can't wait for the (2D) Blu Ray!

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 169
RE: Green Lantern - 9/6/2011 7:08:50 PM   
BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

I'm not as worried now as I was when the very first trailer came out. They've really improved the effects and I think it looks really great now.

I'me just trying to decide whether or not to see it in 3D. Was it converted to 3D afterwards, rather than being filmed in 3D then?

Converted to 3D afterwards.

When I watched the first trailer I got a very saturday morning cartoon vibe like it was a DC animated universe film in live action so i'm gonna watch it like that. I don't know if people will be able to accept a superhero film like that though. It's supposed to be tracking really well with general audiences though in Amerca. So hopefully if it's good enough, a lot of people will go see it. Apparently staying midway through the credits is advised as there's an extra scene which sets up something for future films. Not sure what though

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 170
RE: Green Lantern - 9/6/2011 7:10:19 PM   
JIm R

Link to article about future DC films inc. talk of JLA

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=39106

Post #: 171
RE: Green Lantern - 9/6/2011 10:07:38 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

Converted to 3D afterwards.

When I watched the first trailer I got a very saturday morning cartoon vibe like it was a DC animated universe film in live action so i'm gonna watch it like that. I don't know if people will be able to accept a superhero film like that though. It's supposed to be tracking really well with general audiences though in Amerca. So hopefully if it's good enough, a lot of people will go see it. Apparently staying midway through the credits is advised as there's an extra scene which sets up something for future films. Not sure what though

Yeah well so did Wolverine and look how well that turned out - profitable but utter shit.

Having watched the clips I still have a lot of misgivings but I think you're right that it's probably best viewed as a fun sci-fi summer flick, very much like Marvel's Thor.

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 172
RE: Green Lantern - 9/6/2011 10:15:14 PM   
darth silas

I think it still looks like shit.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 173
RE: Green Lantern - 10/6/2011 9:32:45 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I didn't realise Super 8 was getting a June 10th release in the US if it's as good as what's been reported could seriously affect G.L's opening box-office next week.

Post #: 174
RE: Green Lantern - 11/6/2011 9:46:04 PM   
BatFan

So the review embargo ends tomorrow so reviews should be online by monday morning.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 175
RE: Green Lantern - 13/6/2011 9:49:02 AM   
Rob

Still nothing and I still can't book tickets!

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 176
RE: Green Lantern - 13/6/2011 11:10:23 AM   
BatFan

Went on to a Green Lantern message board and apparently the embargo's been pushed back til Wednesday. This doesn't sound too good.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 177
RE: Green Lantern - 13/6/2011 1:34:32 PM   
Rob

Yikes. Still I'm sure it will do OK at the box office as there's enough of an audience for it. I expect similar or better numbers than Thor given that Reynolds probably has a bit more pulling power.

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 178
RE: Green Lantern - 14/6/2011 10:17:29 AM   
BelfastBoy

So the film's released in a few days time and still no reviews? Talk of an embargo is not a good sign for its prospects, it implies two things to me:

- The producers / studio know that it's dire and are trying to limit the damage from bad press.
- The journalists who've seen the film can't wait to tell the world just how bad it is.

Sorry for the negativity. I hope I'm wrong, because I like Ryan Reynolds as an actor. I've just got a bad feeling that he's gonna carry the can for an absolute turkey. There's big films coming out every week now so if Green Lantern doesn't make a good start at the box office, it's not going to get the chance to recover and would just fall by the wayside. Transformers, Harry Potter, Cars 2 etc are all on the way and I can't see those sorts of known quantities flopping.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 179
RE: Green Lantern - 14/6/2011 10:51:36 AM   
porntrooper

I don't think the embargo means this is a definate shitpile.

Super 8 had an embargo until the week before its States release, and that was preventing almost universal praise being published, so it shouldn't be a seen as an automatic cause for concern. I genuinely think it will be a 3 star, average movie from most reviews....it has 3 star written all over it. And that is no bad thing I guess. I'm going into Green Lantern expecting a couple of hours of fun, nothing more. But then, I'm not a huge Green Lantern fan, I know fuck all about the characters history so I wont know if the movie is doing the source material justice.

The problem I think Green Lantern will have is getting to Average Joe, I mean, it just looks so out there it may have trouble catching the eye of people not in the know. But then, I said the same about Thor, and that seemed to do okay. All initial promo's sucked ass, but the latest stuff I've seen have really sold it to me. However, The Missus (who is used as my gauge of public acceptance with shit like this - her and her team mates at work all have cinema cards and go regularly, but have no real knowledge of movies beyond ads on tv and in Look magazine, on E4 etc) thinks it looks fucking stupid and said, in her own words: "Ryan Reynolds looks like a chipmunk, but with better abs. You can go and watch it with your mates, your not dragging me to that shit.". She was quite happy to watch Wolverine and First Class, she enjoyed Star Trek and Avatar, and she loves Nolan's Batman movies, so it isnt like she is closed off to the idea of sci fi or comic book movies or fantasy. For some reason, this is just too much for her. I reckon a lot of Average Joe's will feel the same. I reckon US gross will be far more impressive than international.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Green Lantern Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI