Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Martin Campbell to direct?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Martin Campbell to direct? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 17/11/2010 1:10:51 PM   
BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

Next year could be the make or break year for alternative superhero films. Green Lantern is a universe spanning space oprea, Thor is a fantasy/sci-fi film about gods, and then we have two period superhero films with Captain America being the pulp 40's adventure nazi punching machine and X-Men First Class being a 60's pop art superhero film (That's how Matthew Vaughn described it anyway).

I think Captain America will be the one to suffer from Thor, GL and CA.

X-Men will be okay because of previous knowledge based on Singer's work.

Even though it's been stated more than once that it won't be a 'America rules!' kind of film, I reckon the title will put off the standard cinema goer outside the US, precisely because they think it will be. X:Men is the least i'm looking forward to just because it's a Fox film and as much as I hope it turns out good and the concept/style really interests me, I just know Fox is gonna fiddle with it somehow. Then Thor because I saw some of the 5 minute trailer that was leaked this summer and it just looks like your standard superhero orgin film, a solid 3 stars. The more I see of Cap the more it looks interesting and I think it could be a lot of fun and after today Green Lantern is my most looked forward to of the 4 comic book films next summer.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 91
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 17/11/2010 1:58:46 PM   
lukeyboy

I actually think Captain America will do ok! I think the "First Avenger" sub-title will help that in terms of reaching a non-U.S audience, and with Chris Evans in great shape for the part they are bound to show him with his shirt off and "in-action" as much as possible in any trailers or TV spots which should pull in the fickle element of the cinema going public and plus Hugo Weaving's in it who everyone loves!
I also think X-Men first class will do well due mainly to the calibre of the cast, the fact it's part of an already established and successful movie franchise, and the fact it will almost definitely be marketed as being "from the director of Kick-Ass".

Thor and Green Lantern are the ones I reckon are in danger of bombing - but knowing Marvel as i do, the marketing campaign for Thor will do enough to all but guarantee a fighting chance of making a decent profit (see earlier comments on Chris Evans with his shirt off - just replace with Chris Hemsworth in this instance), with Hopkins and Portman's names being banded about all over the place and a very clever mention of Tony Stark in the trailer - i think it'll do ok. Which leaves Green Lantern. I would usually say that having Ryan Reynolds in it as the star makes that enough of a guarantee for it to turn a profit and for it to be a relatively successful picture - but in this case i don't think it is. It's a difficult sell is Green Lantern, and although i'll definitely be going to see it - i'm not sure everyone else will!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 92
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 17/11/2010 2:29:56 PM   
nhassell

Really disappointed. It's gone from being one of my most anticipated movies of 2011, to being one I don't really want to see. I'll check it out, but I'm not impressed.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 93
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 17/11/2010 6:16:54 PM   
Ghidorah

I wish they did a cool teaser like Star Trek or Dark Knight did. Not tried to create a trailer with only just a handful of just finished special effects.

(in reply to nhassell)
Post #: 94
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 17/11/2010 6:28:12 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

The only thing that looks like it might be a problem is Blake Lively, that one line she had was uber-wooden.

I completely agree. I've never seen anything she's been in (Gossip Girl is not my kinda thing, and I've yet to see The Town) but, based on that brief appearance in the trailer, she doesn't look great at all.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 95
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 17/11/2010 8:48:15 PM   
kumar

I cant get past the paper mache looking lantern. I quite liked a couple of shots in the trailer- the two with him flying out into space and he has this very uncertain and bewildered look on his face. Other than that there wasnt much I really thought was anything more than OK, which is a shame. The fun aspect I found was a bit too jammed in my face, much better done in Iron Man. Still hope it comes out great though.

But that lantern, really

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 96
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 17/11/2010 9:49:40 PM   
musht

As a non-comic book fan i think this looks like great fun, Reynalds is a hero and i'm really looking forward to seeing him in an action role (having avoided x-men origins) but i agree the cgi needs polishing

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 97
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 18/11/2010 10:07:45 AM   
Marwood

Still not buying it unfortunately.

The proper trailer is definitely an improvement over the ET preview but this still looks quite cheesy with Reynolds' Hal seemingly the same as every character he's played before and Blake Lively appears to be playing a mannequin. The actual alien Lantern stuff looks interesting but all of the earth based clips look like your generic superhero origin stuff and tbh as much as I like the comic adaptations I'm really weary of origin stories.

I think I'll try this on Love Film and focus on Thor and Captain America instead next year - more of a Marvel guy anyway really and those two look a lot more interesting. Still, hopefully Lantern is a success to help make sure the new Superman film gets the support it needs.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 98
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 18/11/2010 11:19:33 AM   
lukeyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

The proper trailer is definitely an improvement over the ET preview but this still looks quite cheesy with Reynolds' Hal seemingly the same as every character he's played before and Blake Lively appears to be playing a mannequin. The actual alien Lantern stuff looks interesting but all of the earth based clips look like your generic superhero origin stuff and tbh as much as I like the comic adaptations I'm really weary of origin stories.

I think I'll try this on Love Film and focus on Thor and Captain America instead next year - more of a Marvel guy anyway really and those two look a lot more interesting. Still, hopefully Lantern is a success to help make sure the new Superman film gets the support it needs.

Yeah but this is obviously the main reason they cast Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan in the first place - because he does this type of part so well. If you remember when they were still in the casting process it got narrowed down to Reynolds, Bradley Cooper and Justin Timberlake - who are all basically the same actor but at different levels (Reynolds being the best followed by Cooper and Timberlake) so they were clearly going for this type of character. And also i don't think it's totally fair to say he plays this part all the time. He was totally different in Buried, Adventureland (although that was complete shit) The Nines, Smoking Aces and The Amytiville Horror remake! Although he does seem to play that same character in at least 70% of his movies.

Ansd also Marwood - you know you won't be able to resist this at the cinema. You'll be one of the first in the queue (behind me!)

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 99
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 18/11/2010 12:22:25 PM   
CORLEONE

Looks good. Nice mix of seriousness and comic humour. Effects will be better by next summer. Roll on.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 100
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 18/11/2010 12:35:52 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: lukeyboy

quote:

Yeah but this is obviously the main reason they cast Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan in the first place - because he does this type of part so well. If you remember when they were still in the casting process it got narrowed down to Reynolds, Bradley Cooper and Justin Timberlake - who are all basically the same actor but at different levels (Reynolds being the best followed by Cooper and Timberlake) so they were clearly going for this type of character. And also i don't think it's totally fair to say he plays this part all the time. He was totally different in Buried, Adventureland (although that was complete shit) The Nines, Smoking Aces and The Amytiville Horror remake! Although he does seem to play that same character in at least 70% of his movies.

Ansd also Marwood - you know you won't be able to resist this at the cinema. You'll be one of the first in the queue (behind me!)

I defy that Luke I'm getting my 2011 fix of superhero adaptations with Cap and Thor - the rest can wait for home release!

Fair enough - it was a knee jerk reaction but the point I was making is he seems to be again doing his well worn schtick here and the impression I get from the actual fan messages is that it's a bad fit for Jordan as he's traditionally a serious guy. Plus while I think he's not a bad actor and did good work in the films you mentioned I think his Hal looks like a lazy choice because it's something he can do in his sleep. Cooper and Timberlake probably would have played it the same way though so yes it would also have been Campbell and the execs input.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 101
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 18/11/2010 2:34:31 PM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: lukeyboy

quote:

I defy that Luke I'm getting my 2011 fix of superhero adaptations with Cap and Thor - the rest can wait for home release!

Fair enough - it was a knee jerk reaction but the point I was making is he seems to be again doing his well worn schtick here and the impression I get from the actual fan messages is that it's a bad fit for Jordan as he's traditionally a serious guy. Plus while I think he's not a bad actor and did good work in the films you mentioned I think his Hal looks like a lazy choice because it's something he can do in his sleep. Cooper and Timberlake probably would have played it the same way though so yes it would also have been Campbell and the execs input.

Id agree with this.Reynolds just does the same thing over and over again(in the movies iv seen him in at least) and its getting tiresome.At first glance the character doesnt seem to be any different from Hannibal King or Wade Williams(pre Deadpool).

The film appears to be far too jokey and i believe this may underperform.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 102
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 18/11/2010 4:00:10 PM   
Marwood

Just as long as it doesn't flop altogether - that would cause problems for the rest of the still in development films. So far both Marvel and DC have avoided an all out flop since Bryan Singer's X-Men relaunched the interest in superhero films (no Blade doesn't count because it was sold as an action/horror).

Films like Superman Returns, both Hulk attempts, Daredevil, Ghost Rider and The Fantastic Four entries have underperformed but still been very profitable so have managed to avoid being considered financial disasters (despite what their detractors would like to think). Shit, even Batman & Robin made decent profit for WB.

However next year sees 3 risky superhero adaptations imo: Lantern, Thor and Captain America. I believe if even one of those bombs it will cause a shockwave. Luckily The Avengers, Batman 3 and the new Superman are all getting underway with pre-production (plus the Spider-Man reboot and a couple more X-Men entries are moving quickly) so hopefully they won't be subject to a shelving but seeing as Justice League was cancelled last minute you never know.

That's why while the GL trailer isn't exactly inspiring confidence from me I really don't want it to fail in case the house of cards falls in it's wake.

< Message edited by Marwood -- 18/11/2010 4:02:47 PM >

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 103
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 18/11/2010 7:07:21 PM   
Emyr Thy King

There's an interesting segment when Hal Jordon crashes the test aircraft and then when he encounters Abin Sur's body on the beach. He's conflicted or distressed over something and it almost appears as though his eyes are welling up. I like it, you can seee the emotion in his face. I want to see some good acting from Ryan Reynolds and in fact, to me it seems that he's dropped the court jester routine. I think he'll be fine. I am a little concerned about the visual effects element, chiefly the suit. I like the 'suit-on!' moment at the end but it looks a little too plastic and artificial for my liking. One design element of the suit I like is the electrode/fibre optic type veins he has on the front of the suit but I hope they'll improve the visual effects by the film's release next summer.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 104
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 18/11/2010 8:43:52 PM   
JIm R

I've just watched this for a second and third time after a few days break from my first and have to say 'what is evryone's problem' not in a 'let's cause a fight' way but really, too jokey, too light, I don't reckon, Campbell is adept at mixing light and dark, it'll be fine.

The muisc sounds epic, they've got the essentials right and aside from Blake, who I admit sounds like a voice mail recording all seems fine.

SFX clear up and rendering and bit of texturing and all will be funky.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 105
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 24/11/2010 12:42:03 AM   
Darth Marenghi

Not seen the trailer yet, but surprised Blake Lively seems to be so bad in this, from the sounds of things. I thought she was great in The Town.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 106
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 24/11/2010 2:01:21 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Well she's gonna have to be better as her character ends up with a MAJOR role in the comics.
And as for the earlier post that DC & Marvel had never produced any flops yet hows about Catwoman, The Spirit, Jonah Hex, Electra & Punisher War Zone to name a few. 

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 107
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 24/11/2010 3:07:47 PM   
Rob

I'd absolutely agree that both companies have had there flops but I think it's safe to say there's more riding on this then any of the ones mentioned.

I think it will be fine. Campbell a very talented director, Reynolds can act and has natural charisma, Mark Strong looks perfect and I'm not even worried about Lively. Her delivery in the trailer was awful but it's one line so I'm not going to judge her on that. Plus there's over 6 months to polish up the effects.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 108
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 24/11/2010 4:02:06 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Well she's gonna have to be better as her character ends up with a MAJOR role in the comics.
And as for the earlier post that DC & Marvel had never produced any flops yet hows about Catwoman, The Spirit, Jonah Hex, Electra & Punisher War Zone to name a few. 

Were they flops? Did any of them actually crash and burn so badly they didn't even make their budgets back? In the case of those films I don't believe that's the case because none of them were big tentpole films like The Dark Knight or Iron Man, they were modestly budgeted at best and none were pushed as big event pictures so while they certainly didn't set the box office alight I wouldn't even refer to them as flops. Yes they were bad movies that didn't make Titanic money but how likely was it that any of them would have anyway? Being a financial flop is proportionate.

I was using the term in relation to something like Iron Man costing $100million + to produce and making about $50million worldwide - neither company has had that sort of failure and that's the sort of situation I was referring to. If Cap, Lantern or Thor fail like that I think it will be a massive blow against the sub genre and have a ripple effect.

Post #: 109
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 26/11/2010 10:01:50 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Catwoman probably not so sure about Marvels unless where talking origanal Captain America or Howard The Duck  but Jonah Hex DEFINETLY.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 110
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 26/11/2010 1:50:55 PM   
lukeyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Catwoman probably not so sure about Marvels unless where talking origanal Captain America or Howard The Duck  but Jonah Hex DEFINETLY.

Just to go off topic for a mo - i watched Jonah Hex the other night expectinga complete shit-fest, but i was pleasantly surprised. It's not that bad at all! (although that doesn't make it good,....just enjoyable!)

Post #: 111
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 29/11/2010 10:18:12 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

You could really feel a good 30 mins or so missing from Jonah hex. the end result was just a lot of nothing really, nothing had any impact and some moments just plain sucked (the dream world fight sequence!!!)

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 112
RE: Martin Campbell to direct? - 1/12/2010 1:52:54 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Oh i'm not saying it was shit or anything like that I actually enjoyed it , I was just responding to an earlier post about DC box-office flops which lets face it it was.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 113
RE: The Green Lantern - 2/12/2010 10:26:10 AM   
kalvin

This movie will rock. I have read people's views about this movie .Everybody is eagerly waiting for this movie , even I am too..

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 114
RE: The Green Lantern - 30/12/2010 4:16:46 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Having just seen the trailer again but this time at the cinema before Love & Other Drugs I have to say I think i'd have prefered to see Jake Gyllenhaal in the role no offense to Ryan Reynolds but he seems to comedic for the role of Hal Jordan who i've always thought one of the more serious super-heroes & would've been better suited to my personal favorite The Flash.

(in reply to kalvin)
Post #: 115
RE: The Green Lantern - 1/1/2011 2:31:13 AM   
ElephantBoy

This might be worth a punt, it at least has not been done before on the big screen. The trailer is not the best, and the cast are unproven as far as headling a movie, so it might be a tough one to sell. To me it looked a bit too much sub-spiderman, and unless you are Spiderman I don't know if you can get away with it.

Post #: 116
RE: The Green Lantern - 2/3/2011 11:21:29 AM   
JIm R

Decent article in this months Empire, I honestly have no concerns here at all, I think it's going to rock.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 117
RE: The Green Lantern - 2/3/2011 12:32:47 PM   
BatFan

Jett from Batman-On-Film is pretty well connected to some important people in Warner Brothes and from what he's heard Green Lantern is gonna be pretty great.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 118
RE: The Green Lantern - 2/3/2011 12:49:23 PM   
BelfastBoy

I saw the full length trailer for this the other day (before Gnomeo and Juliet, of all things!), and have the following observations:

- I wasn't paying attention at the very beginning because my cinema just started the trailer without dimming the lights, showing adverts or anything. But does Scarlett Johansson appear at the very start, presumably cameoing as Hal's latest conquest, or was I seeing things?
- Most films - even bad ones - can be made to look exciting and interesting in trailers. But Green Lantern just looks awful. This summer and next year promises superhero / comic book / sequel overload so I think that Green Lantern could be easily overlooked even if it turns out to be OK.
- Ryan Reynolds is an excellent actor so I'd hate for him to have to carry the can if it does turn out to be a turkey. I'm yet to be convinced that he's right as a tentpole superhero, but would be happy to be proved wrong. Ditto for Blake Lively - in The Town she's only in a handful of scenes yet gives a magnificent performance. It could be that she's not comfortable in dealing with a CGI-heavy film and all the artificiality, empty sets etc involved with that. Thing is, Natalie Portman's just won an Oscar and rarely gives bad performances - it's not a coincidence that three of her worst are the Star Wars prequels!

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 119
RE: The Green Lantern - 2/3/2011 1:15:53 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

I saw the full length trailer for this the other day (before Gnomeo and Juliet, of all things!), and have the following observations:

- I wasn't paying attention at the very beginning because my cinema just started the trailer without dimming the lights, showing adverts or anything. But does Scarlett Johansson appear at the very start, presumably cameoing as Hal's latest conquest, or was I seeing things?
- Most films - even bad ones - can be made to look exciting and interesting in trailers. But Green Lantern just looks awful. This summer and next year promises superhero / comic book / sequel overload so I think that Green Lantern could be easily overlooked even if it turns out to be OK.
- Ryan Reynolds is an excellent actor so I'd hate for him to have to carry the can if it does turn out to be a turkey. I'm yet to be convinced that he's right as a tentpole superhero, but would be happy to be proved wrong. Ditto for Blake Lively - in The Town she's only in a handful of scenes yet gives a magnificent performance. It could be that she's not comfortable in dealing with a CGI-heavy film and all the artificiality, empty sets etc involved with that. Thing is, Natalie Portman's just won an Oscar and rarely gives bad performances - it's not a coincidence that three of her worst are the Star Wars prequels!

Definitely not Johansson at the start.

I think that this will actually do well. The main concerns seem to be with the CGI and the "humour" but I think the full trailer looked pretty good and they're still working on the effects. I'd say that the Green Lantern has a much better chance of success than something like the Green Hornet did and that still made around $100 million (not great but GL should easily surpass that). The fan base is more established, and Reynolds is probably more popular with the ladies than Rogen.

I'm reasonably confident that the film will be good and make enough money to greenlight a sequel. Mind you I thought GI: Joe would absolutely tank and look what happened there.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Martin Campbell to direct? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI