Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

EXORCIST III Legion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> EXORCIST III Legion Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
EXORCIST III Legion - 10/9/2008 8:53:13 PM   
evil bill

THE EXORCIST III - 1990
William Peter Blatty writes and directs The Exorcist 3,based on his own book Legion,and it starts where the first film ended but 15 years later.Back in Georgetown ,Boston a series of  mysterious murders begin,and police Lt Kinderman (George C Scott)is on the hunt for a killer he thought long dead.What is the link between the killer and the exorcism that took place 15 years ago,the same night the Gemini Killer was killed?

This is a brilliant chiller/horror movie that aims to scare the pants off you,but it is also one of the most plot and sub plot laden horror movies around.Not that this is a problem as it is never boring,but that you really need to be focused on this brilliantly plotted story.Blatty took some real risks with this movie,as it shys away from gore,and go's into some disturbing weird dream shots.But Warner's took the scissors to this fine movie and tagged on a different ending,yet with all the interference it still works.And this is down to fine performances from George C Scott and Ed Flanders who have some great lines from the very start,also Brad Dourif who is just chilling in his part.Jason Miller,Scott Wilson,Patrick Ewing also add to this great mix of three dimensional characters,and even Samuel L Jackson turns up as a basket ball coach.I really don't want to give away the plot too much as this could spoil the fun,but believe me this has one of the best scare scenes ever put to film,see below for a snip.It's a movie that asks you to use your brain,yet still has the old horror movie feel to it,a great build up and use of fear of what you haven't seen,slow build up,sudden shocks etc.Those who have seen it fall into two groups,those who hate it! and those who love it!and i love it,but make sure you get the region 1 if you can,as it is the most complete version.Great movie for these dark nights coming in,and a must see for any horror fan,get it on Amazon from only 2.69 region 1,110 minties of brillant horror except for that last 15 that where added.Love to see the directors cut if it ever see's the light of day,with 20 minties of Blatty's footage returned to the movie.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 10/9/2008 9:12:24 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"
Post #: 1
RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 11/9/2008 11:20:01 AM   
dj vivace

Wandered how long it would take you to start this one mate  The Exorcist 3 has to be one of THE best horrors of all time. It certainly has probably the scariest scene of all time! Its superbly acted, and like you said, the tight, and extremlely involving story has you gripped from the start. And infact, the openig sequence to the film sets the tone perfectly, UNSETTLING AS HELL!!!
Brad Dourif puts in a truley terrifying perormance, and to this day, i shit myself when he "roars" Agreed on the end, but hey, thats film studios (the bastards!). The film has an immense religious feel too, which if done right (like here) it can really add a new dimension of terror, and believability to a film. The film has some excellent, in depth conversations, handled with such style that you don't want it to end.
A director's cut would be nice, or indeed, a special edition, as i don't feel this film ever got the praise and recognition, as one of the best horrors of all time it, that it so rightfully deserves. Anyone who hasn't seen Exorcist 2: The Heretic needn't bother as this is the true sequel, and anyone who has, don't been put off as this is a million times better

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 2
RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 11/9/2008 12:27:26 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

I would probably had preferred if they had dropped the Exorcist tag altogether. The scene pictured above was indeed a pant soiling experience and catches you completely unawares. A very competant horror movie, but not a classic. Brad Dourif is excellent.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 3
RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 11/9/2008 12:33:49 PM   
Sad Professor

I've never watched this, I got that Exorcist box set for pittance a few years ago. Might dig it out and have a gander.....

Btw lads, what version is out on dvd ? Or is there only one ?

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 4
RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 11/9/2008 1:47:58 PM   
rubadub

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

THE EXORCIST III - 1990
William Peter Blatty writes and directs The Exorcist 3,based on his own book Legion,and it starts where the first film ended but 15 years later.Back in Georgetown ,Boston a series of  mysterious murders begin,and police Lt Kinderman (George C Scott)is on the hunt for a killer he thought long dead.What is the link between the killer and the exorcism that took place 15 years ago,the same night the Gemini Killer was killed?

This is a brilliant chiller/horror movie that aims to scare the pants off you,but it is also one of the most plot and sub plot laden horror movies around.Not that this is a problem as it is never boring,but that you really need to be focused on this brilliantly plotted story.Blatty took some real risks with this movie,as it shys away from gore,and go's into some disturbing weird dream shots.But Warner's took the scissors to this fine movie and tagged on a different ending,yet with all the interference it still works.And this is down to fine performances from George C Scott and Ed Flanders who have some great lines from the very start,also Brad Dourif who is just chilling in his part.Jason Miller,Scott Wilson,Patrick Ewing also add to this great mix of three dimensional characters,and even Samuel L Jackson turns up as a basket ball coach.I really don't want to give away the plot too much as this could spoil the fun,but believe me this has one of the best scare scenes ever put to film,see below for a snip.It's a movie that asks you to use your brain,yet still has the old horror movie feel to it,a great build up and use of fear of what you haven't seen,slow build up,sudden shocks etc.Those who have seen it fall into two groups,those who hate it! and those who love it!and i love it,but make sure you get the region 1 if you can,as it is the most complete version.Great movie for these dark nights coming in,and a must see for any horror fan,get it on Amazon from only 2.69 region 1,110 minties of brillant horror except for that last 15 that where added.Love to see the directors cut if it ever see's the light of day,with 20 minties of Blatty's footage returned to the movie.

This very scene (above) absolutely scared the shit out of me at the midnight screening in 1990.Worst thing was,i had to walk my then girlfriend home afterwards and then walk home by myself ! Sob !

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 5
RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 11/9/2008 2:31:22 PM   
foz

That pic of Fabio reminds me that there are some ace and very unexpected cameos in there.

A lot of the impact of the film would have been lost if it hadn't been for Dourif's astonishing performance - and it's probably not unfair to say that there's a fair bit of it can be seen in Heath Ledger's Dark Knight performance.

The use of religious imagery is very well-worked - an almost subliminal shot of a statue of a saint being replaced for a second by an image of the Joker wielding a dagger is one of many "did I really just see that?" moments that form the core of unnerving the viewer rather than gore/jump shocks.  Although it's not unfair to say that it includes the greatest jump-shocker in cinematic history, by way of stretching tension to almost breaking point, having a small moment that makes you jump and then relax before hitting you with the actual screamer.  There's a similar setup in Clive Barker's Nightbreed involving David Cronenberg and a fridge door, but that doesn't come close to EIII's  

Brilliant "Sound"track as well - this film was very instrumental in creating the atmosphere in the first Silent Hill videogame as far as the use of background noise was concerned, and they acknowledged this influence by also including the nurse as seen above...

(in reply to rubadub)
Post #: 6
RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 11/9/2008 5:02:29 PM   
Horror Nut

Good to see I'm not alone in my love for this great horror film. It always seems to be a very overlooked movie, the main reason being that this follows the monstrocity that was The Exorcist II: The Heretic (can always get a good laugh out of it though ).

It's chilling and as tense as hell in some scenes. George C. Scott puts in a great performance, as does Brad Douriff. It's a thinking man's horror film, most of the imagery strikes a chord and of course, contains that scene which scared me to the very core as a youngster....and still manages to make me jump everytime I see it.

I like that we rarely see any death's onscreen, as the descriptions of the deaths insert a perfect mental image of what happened. The final 15 minutes is the only downer, as it clearly shows what happens when a studio get's involved. But other than that, this is a fantastic example of how to psychologically scare an audience. One of my all-time favourites....an absolutely terrifying experiance.

< Message edited by Horror Nut -- 11/9/2008 5:03:21 PM >

"Justin, someone just came on your cat".

"It's impossible to reconcile. It's kind of in a purgatory of it's own: you're not in heaven, you're not in hell......you're in Hollywood".

The New and Improved Horror Nut.......in 3D!!!

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 7
RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 11/9/2008 5:47:59 PM   
VincentHanna

Great film.
I was lucky enough to catch this during its cinematic release.
As I said on another thread, the major jump scene in the film caused everyone in the full screen to jump....but one woman actually screamed at the top of her voice and left the film.

It only loses its way towards the end, but it's still a great film.

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

(in reply to Horror Nut)
Post #: 8
RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 11/9/2008 7:37:43 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but after buying The Exorcist Collection DVD boxset, I sat down and watched it again.

I appreciate it more. It's a brilliant psychological/spiritual thriller. The ending is ridiculous, but it boasts great dialogue from George C. Scott ("I believe..."), who delivers a magnificent performance. Brad Dourif brough menace as the Gemini Killer, and Jason Miller quietly stole the film once more as Father Karras/Patient X.

Apparently, the footage that was removed from the film has been destroyed. Shame, as Blatty's definitive director's cut would have made the film a darker and more powerful experience.

< Message edited by paul.mccluskey -- 1/2/2013 1:55:42 PM >

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 9
RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 11/9/2008 7:47:18 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: VincentHanna

Great film.
I was lucky enough to catch this during its cinematic release.
As I said on another thread, the major jump scene in the film caused everyone in the full screen to jump....but one woman actually screamed at the top of her voice and left the film.

It only loses its way towards the end, but it's still a great film.

I too was lucky enough to see this great movie in the cinema in 1990,and only went to see it cause 1/ William Peter Blatty was involed big time,2/ George C Scott was the lead.Like most people Exorcist 2 was utter crap and i swore never to watch anything connected to it again,but was i glad i went and swaw this.Me and the then girlfriend(wife)went to a night screening,and this waas only the second time in my movie going experence i've felt fear in a cinema.Everyone was caught in the fear factor trap,and jumped more than once,but like most where let down by the tagged on ending.Still a great movie,and it should have kept it's name LEGION,but Warner's wanted to cash in on The Exorcist,and also made that tagged on ending.Another movie of Blatty's worth seeing is NINTH CONFIGURATION a very strange psychological thriller.
Aviable on both Region 1 from 2,69 the better copy by the way single DVD,and Region 2 9.89 single DVD from Amazon.

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 10
RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 11/9/2008 8:30:20 PM   
Sphinx

See, now this is a good threequel - It stands up very well on it's own though, here's hoping for a good film frightfest come halloween, with this included

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 11
RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 12/9/2008 2:31:48 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

See, now this is a good threequel - It stands up very well on it's own though, here's hoping for a good film frightfest come halloween, with this included

Exorcist and Exorcist 3 as a double bill now that would be fun.
And here's some triva about the movie IE those changes??
  • Jason Miller was hired because the studio wanted someone from the original movie to be included. Miller was the logical choice since the other two character alumni from the original film, Kinderman and Father Dyer, were played respectively by Lee J. Cobb (who had since died) and William O'Malley (who only took the role in the original film as a favor to Blatty, and who was not available to reprise the role). Unfortunately, actor Brad Dourif had already been hired to play Patient X, so some reshooting and editing was needed. Miller played the Patient X / Karras identity and Dourif played the James "The Gemini Killer" Venamun character. All of Dourif's lines as Karras were reshot with Miller.
  • The Father Morning scenes were spliced into the film because the studio wanted an exorcism in the film to make the title relevant. This was less cleverly included, and there is quite a bit of discontinuity, especially during the final scene in which Morning's body vanishes and reappears.
  • There is some confusion among fans as to what exactly happens in the reshot "exorcism" climax. According to Cinefantastique magazine (February 1991), "20th Century Fox ponied up an additional $4-million in post-production - to film an effects-laden exorcisim sequence featuring Nicol Williamson as Father Morning, a character added just for the new climax."
  • While doing online publicity for the re-release of The Exorcist in 2000, William Peter Blatty explained that the new climax, which differs from that of Legion was mandated by the studio in order to add more action and overt horror to the picture, and that he had to make the best of it in the narrative while racing to complete the film. He confirmed that when the possessed Karras speaks in an asexual voice, saying, "I must save my son, the Gemini," that this in fact is either a returned Pazuzu or, as Blatty put it, "old Scratch himself" taking control. This ties in to the revelation earlier in the film that the Gemini was sent into Karras' body as revenge for the Regan MacNeil exorcism. The altered voice in the climax is deliberately similar to that of Mercedes McCambridge, who provided the voice of the original demon in The Exorcist, and the role is essayed in The Exorcist III by Colleen Dewhurst, who was uncredited. In real life, actress Dewhurst was twice married to-, and twice divorced from- actor George C. Scott.
  • The originally-shot climax of the film, which hewed much closer to the ending of Legion, can be glimpsed in the theatrical trailer, in which Karras/the Gemini is shown "morphing" through a variety of faces.

(in reply to Sphinx)
  • Post #: 12
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 12/9/2008 8:00:15 PM   
    Sad Professor

I have just watched this . Wow, it's really good. Scott and Douriff are brilliant. I loved the comedic moments that Scott gave. The story about his mother in law's carpe was a standout. The exorcism stuff at the end did seem wierd. Cheers guys, without this thread I probably wouldn't have put in the dvd.

(in reply to evil bill)
    Post #: 13
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 12/9/2008 8:58:34 PM   
    foz

quote:

ORIGINAL: surveyofsociety

I have just watched this . Wow, it's really good. Scott and Douriff are brilliant. I loved the comedic moments that Scott gave. The story about his mother in law's carpe was a standout. The exorcism stuff at the end did seem wierd. Cheers guys, without this thread I probably wouldn't have put in the dvd.

If I remember rightly, the carp conversation was lifted from Blatty's first Exorcist novel rather than from Legion

(in reply to Sad Professor)
    Post #: 14
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 13/9/2008 6:54:36 PM   
    evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: surveyofsociety

Glad you enjoyed this one,shame a lot more folks don't give it ago,and get over the crap that was Exorcist 2 The Hertic.There's rumours of a Blu Ray release for Exorcist 3,but i don't think will see this happen myself.

(in reply to Sad Professor)
    Post #: 15
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 14/9/2008 4:07:04 PM   
    dj vivace

quote:

quote:

• The originally-shot climax of the film, which hewed much closer to the ending of Legion, can be glimpsed in the theatrical trailer, in which Karras/the Gemini is shown "morphing" through a variety of faces.

• I've seen that bit in the trailor and it was bloody scary, always wondered what happened ot it and now i know.Thanks Bill for all that info

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
    Post #: 16
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 17/9/2008 8:46:01 PM   
    Dr Lenera

God, I remember first seeing Exorcict 3 imany years ago in a room full of mates, we ALL jumped out of our seats during THAT scene.  Recently I saw it again and it still worked.  I really want to show the film to the wife and see how much she jumps but that'll be a little cruel and she'll probably never forgive me!

I like Exorcist 3 although it's always seemed a little disjointed to me especially towards the end and the last 20 mins don't work that well-now I know why, I didn't realise this was another case of the studio mucking about with a film.  Still, there's great atmosphere, excellent performances, skillful direction and I'd rank it second best of the Exorcist films.  Although I like Exorcist 2 as well ["runs for cover"].

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to dj vivace)
    Post #: 17
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 18/9/2008 1:54:30 PM   
    sean redmond

I THINK THE FILM IS GOOD UP TO THE END,WHAT WAS WITH THE OVER THE TOP ENDING.(WHAT WERE THEY THINKING) THE FIRST FILM IS A MASTERPIECE. THE LAST ONE WAS A JOKE OF A MOVIE (REALLY BAD)

Sean Redmond

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
    Post #: 18
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 18/9/2008 6:53:47 PM   
    dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: sean redmond

I THINK THE FILM IS GOOD UP TO THE END,WHAT WAS WITH THE OVER THE TOP ENDING.(WHAT WERE THEY THINKING) THE FIRST FILM IS A MASTERPIECE. THE LAST ONE WAS A JOKE OF A MOVIE (REALLY BAD)

You can thank Warners for the ending, not how the director wanted it, but Warners forced the end to make the film more sellable

< Message edited by dj vivace -- 18/9/2008 6:54:05 PM >

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to sean redmond)
    Post #: 19
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 18/9/2008 6:59:39 PM   
    paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Although I like Exorcist 2 as well ["runs for cover"].

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
    Post #: 20
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 18/9/2008 7:36:39 PM   
    evil bill

Here's a link to an article on The Exorcist III Legion from Fangoria mag,with an interview with Brad Douriff.Who saw the Blatty full version before the studio forced the changes.He felt it was a very smart suspenseful movie,which he belived even at the tme that Blatty had'nt a hope of getting it past the producers in it's pure form.But he was alloweed to shoot it and then told to make the changes,but the footage seems to have been lost or distroyed,so we have to make do with this great but flawed masterpiece of horror.Anyway here's the link enjoy just click&zoom into the pages http://legion.theninthconfiguration.com/film/fangoria_may1993/

< Message edited by evil bill -- 18/9/2008 7:38:08 PM >

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
    Post #: 21
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 19/9/2008 7:57:10 PM   
    Dr Lenera

That was a great read cheers Bill!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
    Post #: 22
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 19/9/2008 10:39:56 PM   
    Horror Nut

Awesome read that. Love that closing statement.

Cheers Bill.

< Message edited by Horror Nut -- 19/9/2008 10:40:54 PM >

"Justin, someone just came on your cat".

"It's impossible to reconcile. It's kind of in a purgatory of it's own: you're not in heaven, you're not in hell......you're in Hollywood".

The New and Improved Horror Nut.......in 3D!!!

(in reply to evil bill)
    Post #: 23
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 22/9/2008 8:17:23 PM   
    evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Horror Nut

Cheers Bill.

quote:

Dr Lenera

No problem guys with Halloween approaching this might turn up on Film4
    Like your avitar Horror Nut looks like it's from THE MIST,excellent movie we've been talking about on The Weird/Strange thread.I got the region 1,i see region 2 is out for Halloween.

(in reply to Horror Nut)
    Post #: 24
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 22/9/2008 9:04:02 PM   
    Sphinx

quote:

quote:

Cheers Bill.

quote:

Dr Lenera

Like your avitar Horror Nut looks like it's from THE MIST,excellent movie we've been talking about on The Weird/Strange thread.I got the region 1,i see region 2 is out for Halloween.
    Let's hope so, I'm almost getting fed up with over-viewing of walk the line and that's not good cos I'm a Joaquin Pheonix Fan............Am enjoying the repetiton of Witness though

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to evil bill)
    Post #: 25
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 30/9/2008 8:46:44 PM   
    evil bill

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers Bill.

quote:

Dr Lenera

Let's hope so, I'm almost getting fed up with over-viewing of walk the line and that's not good cos I'm a Joaquin Pheonix Fan............Am enjoying the repetiton of Witness though

You might have to buy the DVD as it's not on the listings for Oct on Film4

(in reply to Sphinx)
    Post #: 26
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 7/2/2010 6:40:02 PM   
    evil bill

All this talk on some other threads of this classic,i thought i'd revive it,so enjoy all you newbies to this the best sequel to THE EXORCIST.

(in reply to evil bill)
    Post #: 27
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 7/2/2010 8:51:11 PM   
    juanvasquez

I remember stumbling across this years ago, when I still lived with my parents. They had a tv in the kitchen, and it came on channel 4, just as I was about to go to bed. I watched the first couple of minutes and ended up sitting in the kitchen watching it all the way through. I was amazed at how good it was as I remember watching the second not too long before it.

The less said about that, the better.

I actually caught this not too long ago, but only half way through, but still, its a top film.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to evil bill)
    Post #: 28
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 8/2/2010 8:01:38 PM   
    evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

I remember stumbling across this years ago, when I still lived with my parents. They had a tv in the kitchen, and it came on channel 4, just as I was about to go to bed. I watched the first couple of minutes and ended up sitting in the kitchen watching it all the way through. I was amazed at how good it was as I remember watching the second not too long before it.

I actually caught this not too long ago, but only half way through, but still, its a top film.

You really should get yourself a copy of this to sit along side THE THING,as one of the top Horror movies of the 80's/90's.Both well written and great scripts for the actors to get there teeth into,just watching Flanders and Scott makes this a classic.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
    Post #: 29
    RE: EXORCIST III Legion - 8/2/2010 8:11:59 PM   
    juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

You really should get yourself a copy of this to sit along side THE THING,as one of the top Horror movies of the 80's/90's.Both well written and great scripts for the actors to get there teeth into,just watching Flanders and Scott makes this a classic.

After reading over this thread, I went and bought the box set! I know that 1 & 3 are the only decent ones, but it was just as cost effective!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to evil bill)
    Post #: 30
    Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> EXORCIST III Legion Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
    Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI